The best strategy to defending Singapore Island

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please see the RSN thread and the news report on "Stealth frigates display firepower". The RSN and the RSAF can just plug and play with other navies in ASEAN quickly, if necessary.

To meet the conventional threat presented by Singapore's forces, the aggressor will need to meet and exceed both the RSAF and the RSN operating in the 3 dimensions of: (i) air warfare, (ii) surface warfare, and (iii) underwater warfare dimensions of naval warfare before they can get to shore. At that stage our combined arms divisions (operating as task forces) and rapid deployment division will provide further meet and greet services.

Please also see report on Ex Malapura held on Dec. 10 to 19, 2008.

Last edited:

Tavarisch

You know what we SEA countries should do? Make a gigantic Defense Corporation. Each of us will contribute to the development of our armies collectively. We could have our own standardized systems. We can then operate independently of the Westerners.

Essentially, all we have to do is, as Malays would say, "Gabung Tenaga". We should make a joint defense technology developer between us. This would greatly expand our defense market/industry. Instead of relying on one concept than the other, we could make our own. Instead of choosing between a T90 or a Leo 2A6, we could make our own unique tank. We will learn to stand on our two feet.

Of course, in some ways I do not think this would be in the best interests of foreign powers....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I
don't think we can speak with one voice. And whose voice? The problems or solutions within ASEAN must take into the account the interests of Indonesia (and her role as leader). What is in the interest of Indonesia, is not always in the interest of the other ASEAN countries.
Well as Indonesian I can say that's going to be a problem since internally we still can't show exactly what we wants. 50 years on doing what Soekarno or Soeharto wants, means this last 11 years we still groupling on as collectively what we wants...sigghh price of democracy..:eek:nfloorl:

You need to look at 2 main factors/concepts:

(i) the concept of 'local superiority' and the ability by ASEAN members to establish such local superiority; and

(ii) the ability of the the potential aggressor to project his forces.

When you consider these factors, it would be clear that ASEAN is no pushover. However, ASEAN cannot compete in a long term, full-on war by conventional means alone. Please read the earlier posts and reconsider some of your concepts (they are a bit lopsided :) ).
Well perhaps I have mistated some of my thinking...however I believe that's about the same on what I mentioned.
If SEA/Asean have to fight conventionally than we do not have long term capabilities, thus resorting to unconventionall means.

I believe all my thingking derived from scenario on defending by self capabilities, without immediate outside help.
Again this a long shoot scenario because for considerable future we still can play between one major power against the other
Perhaps in this scenario I've assumed the potential major powers that wants to carve out SEA will have ability to project forces near simultanaously toward strategic target in SEA (like with what Japan do in WW 2)

In the relative scheme of things, ASEAN's defence market is small (so you must look beyond ASEAN as a market) but some countries are trying to develop some capabilities in our respective defence industries.

Thailand's move to buy an Endurance class vessel is a first step to buying within ASEAN.

Yes, we are all not totally self sufficient, because trade is good for our export orientated economies.
[/QUOTE]

Well we're still since collonial era depends on export abilities...it's just that we're moving from raw materials to manufacturing products (although for Indonesia 60% still raw materials).

But that's in my mind what still happen with our defence capabilities...like in collonial era..all SEA still depends much on outside equipments with relatively small local equipments.
When Europe in war, those collonials states have major headheches on preparing defense with sourcing is drying out.
They have enough equipment...but only for short period of time...
Nobody underestimate SEA people on their defensive spirit...but again without significant local defense industry, we still going to be without long term capabilities.

I think we can agree that this 500 million people grouping needs to consolidate their acts soon. With China and India in our door step, either we hold or break to be considered seriously in the future.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Ananda,

I love your post. Thank you for amending the formatting. I'm just going to respond to a small part of the post (mainly to clarify my point of view).

Ananda said:
Well perhaps I have misstated some of my thinking...however I believe that's about the same on what I mentioned.

If SEA/Asean have to fight conventionally than we do not have long term capabilities, thus resorting to unconventional means.

I believe all my thinking derived from scenario on defending by self capabilities, without immediate outside help.
Please forgive me taking a restrictive approach to reading what you wrote, with a view to disagreeing. The intent to my disagreement is really to clarify what I mean.

I have always viewed all wars as 'hybrid' wars (with conventional and unconventional measures). Please watch this American video on a seminar called "How will we fight?". The dichotomy between conventionally and unconventionally warfare is fake and we don't think or operate that way - at the brigade / division levels. Only our traditional infantry battalions are designed to fight conventionally. When the infantry battalions are mechanized, then we will be able to operate more autonomously at lower command levels with the appropriate C4I support.

Please read a little more on hybrid warfare. :)

Ananda said:
Again this a long shoot scenario because for considerable future we still can play between one major power against the other.
That would be an ideal situation and would also mean that no fighting is required.

We have armed forces to prepare for the worse (that we can imagine) and not the worse that can conceptually happen. The worse that can conceptually happen is a full scale nuclear strike / biological war on us. We in ASEAN have no defence capability against that.

Ananda said:
Perhaps in this scenario I've assumed the potential major powers that wants to carve out SEA will have ability to project forces near simultaneously toward strategic target in SEA (like with what Japan do in WW 2)
That's always possible.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Singapore is more proficient at irregular/hybrid warfare that any informed observer will give us credit for simply because we do not declassify what we can do. All good special forces do not talk about capability. A component our capability in this area, like Indonesia, is fully professional and not based on conscripts. These are expensive capabilities and they are properly resourced.

In fact, the elites from the TNI train on a regular basis with our elite services (many who are often SEAL/US Ranger trained). So TNI itself knows that Singapore's elite forces are more than capable of hybrid warfare and our elites have the special tools/training.

Swarming also enabled by modern technology and I enclose a link to the New York Times called "The Coming Swarm" by JOHN ARQUILLA who has done work in this area for RAND Corporation (a US think-tank). In many ways, the SAF intends to use swarming tactics against any aggressor. We have the precision technology and we have the will to develop the systems. This much is clear.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know what we SEA countries should do? Make a gigantic Defense Corporation. Each of us will contribute to the development of our armies collectively. We could have our own standardized systems. We can then operate independently of the Westerners.

Essentially, all we have to do is, as Malays would say, "Gabung Tenaga". We should make a joint defense technology developer between us. This would greatly expand our defense market/industry. Instead of relying on one concept than the other, we could make our own. Instead of choosing between a T90 or a Leo 2A6, we could make our own unique tank. We will learn to stand on our two feet.

Of course, in some ways I do not think this would be in the best interests of foreign powers....
Singapore has a big defence company with US subsidiaries (and I'm not very happy with having only 1 supplier).

So I'm not sure if the region can ever work together like that realistically. The Europeans have done it but they have lots of problems on the work share and efficiency issues. :unknown

Tavarisch

Singapore has a big defence company with US subsidiaries (and I'm not very happy with having only 1 supplier).

So I'm not sure if the region can ever work together like that realistically. The Europeans have done it but they have lots of problems on the work share and efficiency issues. :unknown

You're not happy with having one defense company? Malaysia's defense industry is virtually non-existent.....
Most of the tax goes to duit kopi I guess. :)

The difference between us and the Europeans : We are more tolerant of each other. If we can further develop our tolerance, maybe we can establish our projected collective defense firm.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The ASEAN nations are more tolerant to each other than the Europeans?

And I thought we have the free traveling, free work and a common currency together with an organisation which is decades ahead in regards to a real union compared to the ASEAN countries.

But I could be wrong... ;)

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
:D Nice question. ;)

And I thought we have the free traveling, free work and a common currency together with an organisation which is decades ahead in regards to a real union compared to the ASEAN countries.
Thanks for pointing this out and good to see you in this thread. ;)

Our younger friend has an interesting perspective on the world. Hopefully he can change the world to be a better place when he grows up.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're not happy with having one defense company? Malaysia's defense industry is virtually non-existent.....
I was just pointing out that there are problems with our strategy too...:D

IMHO, Malaysia is trying to develop a modest capability (which is good). The bigger the goal, the greater the scope for corruption. So start small and grow. Take for instance the Matador, it is 'invented' with the help of Germans. So always seek to learn from others.

Most of the tax goes to duit kopi I guess. :)
Corruption exists in all ASEAN countries (including Singapore). It's just the odds of getting caught are very different.

At least 1/3 of ASEAN countries would rank much higher in corruption levels than Malaysia (I have not named them out of courtesy).

I would not be so harsh on Malaysia and your very professional armed forces. Thankfully in the Malaysian thread, there are some very informed discussions ongoing that has enabled me to better understand Malaysia's past procurement decisions and choices. I think Malaysians tend to be harsher on Malaysia than outside observers. Please remember your opposition also has an agenda (against the ruling party and wants to fling mud, when they can).

I don't deny or defend corruption but we must be objective and try to seek out more facts to understand the reason why the acquisition was made. Not all criticism is valid, that was why I initially defended the PT-91M purchase (I am glad that there is more informed participation taking over in that thread).

Last edited:

Tavarisch

Just because you have common currency and free traveling doesn't mean you don't hate the other person. There are Frenchmen who still hate Englishmen for some old dispute made during the medieval Era.

There are also Englishmen and Frenchmen that hate Germans for World War 2. Then, there is also Yugoslavia.

Red

Most of the tax goes to duit kopi I guess.
The domestic military market is not big. IMHO, it is still larger than Malaysia. But it is best to work with just one company where resources and efforts can be directed to produce quality goods. Singapore could have many smaller companies but at the very end, they(all) may not grow large enough to compete internationally as the gestation period within Singapore would be difficult with smaller orders infrequently. The worst thing that could happen is that Singapore is forced to buy from these smaller firms to keep them afloat;albeit with lower quality builds. Also, ST has grown so large domestically that it might no longer be meaningful for another firm to materialize. Especially since ST is owned by the Singapore government. They have been efficient and productive thus far. However, it will become a problem if inefficiency creeps in with just one major firm around. That might happen if the Singapore government becomes inefficient.

Red

Asean is not Europe. Rivalries and suspicions are rife. If not for a couple of level headed regional leaders over the years, there might already have been a couple of little wars all over the place. There are a few developing countries, 1 1st world developed country and many third world countries. This is not Europe. To top of it all, they inducted(at the insistence of a certain doctor turned politician whom I loath) a country that has brought more problems to the group than anything else; Burma. It will be a long time before Asean reaches European levels of integration. However, it is nice to see the optimism in posts from prople like OPSG.

Tavarisch

The domestic military market is not big. IMHO, it is still larger than Malaysia. But it is best to work with just one company where resources and efforts can be directed to produce quality goods. Singapore could have many smaller companies but at the very end, they(all) may not grow large enough to compete internationally as the gestation period within Singapore would be difficult with smaller orders infrequently. The worst thing that could happen is that Singapore is forced to buy from these smaller firms to keep them afloat;albeit with lower quality builds. Also, ST has grown so large domestically that it might no longer be meaningful for another firm to materialize. Especially since ST is owned by the Singapore government. They have been efficient and productive thus far. However, it will become a problem if inefficiency creeps in with just one major firm around. That might happen if the Singapore government becomes inefficient.

So are you saying potential weapon engineers from Malaysia may have to work in Singapore? I do not like the sound of that notion........ It's bad as it is with all the other experts and professionals leaving the country for other opportunities.

Crunchy

ASEAN's perspective

Indeed Burma is the black sheep among ASEAN.
With their size of land & population you cannot ignore them, but as long as they do not start some reforms (even small ones) there is no way for further integration.
The situation in Burma plays in the hand of many outsiders, who want to see ASEAN as weak union.. :(
Maybe situation will change after 2010. But I have a feeling that they are already a "province" of the PRC.

Our technological & industrial base is currently not large enough to create our own def industry.
But if member states would procure new systems together, we could put more pressure on the supplier('s nation) for:
-local assembling ( first step to independence)
-barter trade (some members are short on hard currency)
-offset
-relieve political pressure (from the supplier & buyer) -> less political dependence

I think we could start with small scale procurement of gear for SF. This would not catch much attention.

Red

So are you saying potential weapon engineers from Malaysia may have to work in Singapore? I do not like the sound of that notion........ It's bad as it is with all the other experts and professionals leaving the country for other opportunities.
Not too sure what exactly you are alluding to..? But yeah, I guess they are welcome to work in the republic if they can pass through extensive id checks.

Unless the Malaysian government can ensure that the brightest and best students get to the top of thier respective fields(including governance and politics), they would probably leave. I know I would. My two cents. I dont know much about it anyway.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Just because you have common currency and free traveling doesn't mean you don't hate the other person. There are Frenchmen who still hate Englishmen for some old dispute made during the medieval Era.

There are also Englishmen and Frenchmen that hate Germans for World War 2. Then, there is also Yugoslavia.
Some people having a bias against each other is hardly an evidence of hate between our countries. And we are talking about a minority as little as it gets.

The current problems between the EU member countries are maybe as low as it is possible between different countries on this earth.
If they would be even lower we would have a united european country by now.

The amount of freedom, cooperation, free trade and peace enjoyed in the EU is lightyears ahead of every other organization on this planet.

I wouldn't even have interrupted this thread if you wouldn't have made that weird statement.
Stating that we in the EU hate each other and the ASEAN nations are much better in this regard is as wrong as one can be.
BTW, how often have you travelled through europe?

PS: Ex-Yugoslavia is not the EU. This is a totally different situation. And the by now handles this problem rather well I would think. Especially when one considers how the neighbours in other parts of this world sort out the problems of the black sheeps in their area.
The integration of many former WarPac countries is also an evidence for what the EU achieved.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Waylander

Thank you for educating our younger thread participants. You input is always welcomed and you have not interrupted this thread.

In support of your post, I want to point out that:

(i) In 1991, Malaysia and Indonesia have conducted a joint military exercise, codenamed Malindo Darsasa 3AB. It involved an airborne assault by paratroopers in southern Johor. If the name of the airborne assault, codenamed Pukul Habis (Malay for 'Total Wipeout'), as well as the choice of a drop zone just 18km from Singapore, were not sufficiently provocative, the scheduling of the airdrop on Aug 9th - Singapore's 26th National Day - most certainly was. The SAF's response was measured and we triggered an open mobilisation in response.

(ii) According to a senior Malaysian military officer, the MAF was put on alert in late 1998 (slightly more than 10 years ago) as politicians on both sides of the Causeway argued over the status of a CIQ checkpoint. News articles from the period chronicle the public exchanges, but say nothing of the defence postures that the SAF and MAF adopted during this period.​

For details, please read the full story by David Boey. Thankfully, Malaysia-Singapore relations are much improved since Dr. M left office. OTOH, Indonesia-Singapore relations are not doing as well given the Feb 2007 sand dispute issue. However, we are trying to mend fences, having just solved a boundary dispute by negotiation in Feb 2009 (which the Jakarta Post acknowledges to be at the absolute disadvantage to Singapore). For more details, see my post #106 in the RSN thread. So in short, there is much less trust in ASEAN compared to Europe.

With their size of land & population you cannot ignore them, but as long as they do not start some reforms (even small ones) there is no way for further integration. The situation in Burma plays in the hand of many outsiders, who want to see ASEAN as weak union.. :(

Maybe situation will change after 2010. But I have a feeling that they are already a "province" of the PRC.
@Crunchy,

I am really pleased at how well the original ASEAN 6 are getting along with Vietnam in contrast to Myanmar. And Myanmar is really our black sheep.

With their size of land & population you cannot ignore them, but as long as they do not start some reforms (even small ones) there is no way for further integration. The situation in Burma plays in the hand of many outsiders, who want to see ASEAN as weak union.. :(

If we push Myanmar away, we will just push them into the open arms of China. OTOH, if we do nothing, Myanmar is like a stone tied around ASEAN's neck. So we have to decide what to do. ASEAN's problem is that we do not have a stick but also do not have enough carrots, let me explain:
(i) ASEAN members do not have the will to invade/fight with Myanmar so we do not have a stick.

(ii) The problem is that ASEAN itself does not have enough carrots (our ability to offer aid, trade and weapons) to get Myanmar to change.​

Our technological & industrial base is currently not large enough to create our own def industry.
But if member states would procure new systems together, we could put more pressure on the supplier('s nation) for:
-local assembling ( first step to independence)
-barter trade (some members are short on hard currency)
-offset
-relieve political pressure (from the supplier & buyer) -> less political dependence
By local assembling, I think you mean licensed manufacturing and that is being done in Malaysia for items like the M4 and some other products. I'm not sure about other similar initiatives by other ASEAN countries.

However, if we talk about purchasing or manufacturing sophisticated engineering based systems, like naval ships, Brunei and Malaysia have faced some problems. OTOH, Singapore is recognized as a smart buyer, integrator and user of weapons systems. Further, we have some capability to build/design our own weapons and weapons systems, including NATO standard ammunition.

The problem is that most of the weapons systems and ammunition that Singapore make are too expensive for other ASEAN members to buy. What some ASEAN countries want is for Singapore to 'sell' (not at a market rate) or give weapons (such as artillery guns and even rifles). Take for example, we have a problem with the Indonesian navy and they are not very nice even after we give things to them (to build relationship and as a reward).

I am not keen for ASEAN countries to engage in barter trade or offsets to buy/sell weapons or ammunition. This sort of ideas will lead to even more corruption as it provides middlemen an opportunity to take a larger cut. Further, Singapore can sell our weapons for money (such as the Warthog and our locally designed LPD), so why would we want to be paid by counter trade?

Further, there are mind-set differences between Vietnam and Singapore in defence matters. Singapore can make navy ships for Vietnam but Vietnam will not want to buy them. This is because Vietnam will not understand Singapore's western style navy, which is designed to be interoperable with the USN and RAN. The RSN values automation (Vietnam has more than enough people), electronic warfare (to jam missiles attacking us), advanced electronics and communications systems (to link our ships, submarines, UAVs, USVs, fighters and AWACs), whereas Vietnam just wants cheap and good ocean patrol vessels. We are also a heavy user of UAVs and USVs. Just like cars, why buy a Toyota Camry with an expensive hifi set (like a Singapore designed navy ship) when you can buy a motorbike.

Even our Victory Class corvettes that were commissioned in the 1990s (which we think is becoming out-dated) have too much expensive features for the Vietnam navy (weapons, sensors and electronics is where things get really expensive). In many ways, more important than price, it is a mind-set difference that prevents Vietnam's armed forces from inter operating with the SAF. We have a western mind-set and Vietnam has a Russian equipment mindset. It will take 10 to 20 years of development before your generals will believe that wars can be fought our way. Besides, your generals will tell our generals: What do you know? Singapore has never fought a war.

I want to be optimistic about prospects for security cooperation in ASEAN but I also have to be realistic about the scope of cooperation.

Last edited: