The best strategy to defending Singapore Island

riksavage

Banned Member
Realistically a conventional attack against Singapore is unrealistic unless we witness a WWIII scenario and the aim of the antagonist is to cripple support for the US fleet operating in the region. If anything I believe we are more likely to witness a terrorist campaign aimed at destabilizing the economy.

Extreme possible example as follows:

Scenario Background:

Malaysia suffers a breakdown in democracy resulting in a former military 'strongman' taking over following the introduction of martial law. This individual follows President Zia's of Pakistan's example and changes the constitution making the military and security infrastructure a defender of Islam and not a defender of a secular state. Extreme elements of the military and intelligence services (mirroring what happened with elements of the Pakistani ISI and military) begin to take a more radical view and start pushing for the reunification of all of Malaysia under Sharia Law (including Singapore). The new leader of Malaysia backs this argument through 'peaceful' means, however radical elements within his government start training insurgents in remote areas with the primary purpose of destabilizing the Singapore economy and to ferment distrust between the Malay, Indian and Chinese ethnic groups. Several remote armouries in Malaysia are raided with light and medium weapons/ammo being obtained by radical groups. Stand-off weapon technology / deployment methodology provided by rogue elements of the REAL IRA and Hamas.

Flashpoint:

Malay based extremists launch mortar and rocket attacks (based on IRA / Hamas technology / methodology) from JOHOR across the causeway against the Northern edge of the airport and industrial areas around Tuas. The Malaysian Government denies all knowledge of any insider support and condemns the attacks. The terrorist groups claim they are fighting for the freedom of ethnic Malay's and reunification of Malaysia under strict Sharia Law. Massive impact upon Singapore economy, airport shuts, foreign airlines threaten to stop flying in, evacuation of non dependent expat families begins.

Response:

Option A:

Singapore Government issues a strong warning to Malaysia to deal with the insurgents and begins planning for intelligence based covert operations in JOHOR to target suspected launch sites / groups. Uses international diplomacy to put pressure on the Malay Gov. Basically looks at undertaking a similar campaign to that advocated by the British/Irish Governments during the Troubles by identifying and neutralizing support / attacks mounted from Southern Ireland against the North, basically a low key counter insurgency campaign working with their Malay military / intelligence counterparts. Risk of such a low key response - drawn out campaign, which does not guarantee a total end to cross border strikes from week one, lack of trust - possible sympathizers working in the Malay intelligence service.

Option B:

Singapore mobilizes it's armed forces and begins striking back against launch sites using artillery, attack helicopters and CAS. Show of strength option. Risk of high level response - all out conventional war with Malaysia, alienation of Malay community and possible retaliating strikes against urban areas by the Malaysian armed forces.

What option would you go for and why?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if this would be a good comparison but Iceland's invasion by the Soviets in Red Storm Rising could be relevant.

A massive suprise air attack destroying air force and command and control facilities with the invasion fleet consisting of a civilian fleet, approaching to the island unnoticed.

To repel or be prepared for such an attack, most of the military of Singapore should be widely dispersed around the island, hiding in James Bond stlye bunkers* so that they could not be located and destroyed in a pre-invasion attack.

A fast, well co-ordinated and a total suprise attack can make the island's invasion possible as the size of the island is rather small. Of course who would want to invade the islands would be another question.

* James Bond Style Bunker - Basically bunkers that are inside of dead volcanoes, mountains, hangars beneath football stadiums, tanks located between car garages anything your imagination captures.
In page 58, of Tim Huxely's book (Defending the Lion City), he said:

"For example, from the late 1970s MINDEF developed plans for contingencies which might have arisen from the presence of Soviet forces in Vietnam, such as Soviet air attacks in retaliation for any Singaporeans intervention in defence of Thailand, or in the event of a wider conflict between rival super-power-led coalitions."​

This was a huge concern when Vietnam invaded Cambodia in December 1978. At that time, Singapore and Thailand were wondering if the Vietnamese would continue further south. Especially since the US had just left Vietnam a few years earlier. With the end of the cold war, this scenario, is not likely. In fact, Vietnam is now a full member of ASEAN.

While I'm not sure about Jame Bond Style Bunkers, DSTA announced that Singapore has underground ammunition facilities and it is commonly known that Singapore air bases are 'hardened' and that certain underground MRT stations do double-up as bomb shelters. And each new HDB flat has bomb shelters (and this requirement is part of our building codes) and other bomb proof facilities provided in each neighbourhood, so in a way, Singapore is very 'fortress like' for a modern city.

Sunshin3 said:
4. SIGINT & Electronic Warfare Capabilities

According to Desmond Ball, "some of Singapore's SIGINT capabilities... are amongst the most advanced... [including] HF DF/ocean surveillance information... and the most advanced electronic warfare capability in Southeast Asia."
Just some stray thoughts...

As Sunshin3 noted on Singapore's SIGINT and Electronic Warfare Capabilities, would it be rather difficult to surprise Singapore? Do you have something else in mind?

Thus far, we are not clear on the strategic value of the capture of Singapore to the aggressor.

If the capture of Singapore is to put the aggressor in a position to control SLOCs, wouldn't the capture of any of the Indonesian Riau Islands serve a similar purpose (with the plus that they are not as well defended and there is no chance that USN personnel would be hurt)? Why choose to fight Singapore (with 7 fighter squadrons) and Indonesia at the same time if you can just fight Indonesia (less than 2 operational fighter squadrons) to achieve a similar goal (in the first phase)?

Last edited:

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thus far, we are not clear on the strategic value of the capture of Singapore to the aggressor.

If the capture of Singapore is to put the aggressor in a position to control SLOCs, wouldn't the capture of any of the Indonesian Riau Islands serve a similar purpose (with the plus that they are not as well defended and there is no chance that USN personnel would be hurt)? Why choose to fight Singapore (with 7 fighter squadrons) and Indonesia at the same time if you can just fight Indonesia (less than 2 operational fighter squadrons) to achieve a similar goal (in the first phase)?
Probably because you couldn't avoid trouble with Singapore anyway. Singapore is highly dependant on free trade through the Straits of Malacca. If some outside nation would decide to block/control this seaway by occupying the Indonesian Riau Islands, Singapore would not just ignore that. So an attacker would have to deal with Singapore at some point of the operation anyway, it would be wise to conduct this toughest task in the beginning rather than engage Indonesia and wait for Singapore to kick in by themselves.

But I agree, control of the Strait of Malacca is basically the only thing that an external power might see as interesting in Singapore.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Probably because you couldn't avoid trouble with Singapore anyway. Singapore is highly dependant on free trade through the Straits of Malacca. If some outside nation would decide to block/control this seaway by occupying the Indonesian Riau Islands, Singapore would not just ignore that. So an attacker would have to deal with Singapore at some point of the operation anyway, it would be wise to conduct this toughest task in the beginning rather than engage Indonesia and wait for Singapore to kick in by themselves.

But I agree, control of the Strait of Malacca is basically the only thing that an external power might see as interesting in Singapore.
I have to agree with this, though with a slight modification. What I could see happening is a nation wishing to control the Malacca Straits seizing a nearby area/island with deepwater ports, and then launching standoff strikes at Singapore to reduce or eliminate Singapore's ability to contest control of the Straits. I do not think it would be worthwhile for a hostile force to attempt to capture Singapore itself. The land of Singapore itself has strategic value due to location, but there are a number of other nearby islands that have similar value, which would likely be far easier to seize and establish control over.

-Cheers

nevidimka

Realistically a conventional attack against Singapore is unrealistic unless we witness a WWIII scenario and the aim of the antagonist is to cripple support for the US fleet operating in the region. If anything I believe we are more likely to witness a terrorist campaign aimed at destabilizing the economy.

Extreme possible example as follows:

Scenario Background:

Malaysia suffers a breakdown in democracy resulting in a former military 'strongman' taking over following the introduction of martial law. This individual follows President Zia's of Pakistan's example and changes the constitution making the military and security infrastructure a defender of Islam and not a defender of a secular state. Extreme elements of the military and intelligence services (mirroring what happened with elements of the Pakistani ISI and military) begin to take a more radical view and start pushing for the reunification of all of Malaysia under Sharia Law (including Singapore). The new leader of Malaysia backs this argument through 'peaceful' means, however radical elements within his government start training insurgents in remote areas with the primary purpose of destabilizing the Singapore economy and to ferment distrust between the Malay, Indian and Chinese ethnic groups. Several remote armouries in Malaysia are raided with light and medium weapons/ammo being obtained by radical groups. Stand-off weapon technology / deployment methodology provided by rogue elements of the REAL IRA and Hamas.

Flashpoint:

Malay based extremists launch mortar and rocket attacks (based on IRA / Hamas technology / methodology) from JOHOR across the causeway against the Northern edge of the airport and industrial areas around Tuas. The Malaysian Government denies all knowledge of any insider support and condemns the attacks. The terrorist groups claim they are fighting for the freedom of ethnic Malay's and reunification of Malaysia under strict Sharia Law. Massive impact upon Singapore economy, airport shuts, foreign airlines threaten to stop flying in, evacuation of non dependent expat families begins.

Response:

Option A:

Singapore Government issues a strong warning to Malaysia to deal with the insurgents and begins planning for intelligence based covert operations in JOHOR to target suspected launch sites / groups. Uses international diplomacy to put pressure on the Malay Gov. Basically looks at undertaking a similar campaign to that advocated by the British/Irish Governments during the Troubles by identifying and neutralizing support / attacks mounted from Southern Ireland against the North, basically a low key counter insurgency campaign working with their Malay military / intelligence counterparts. Risk of such a low key response - drawn out campaign, which does not guarantee a total end to cross border strikes from week one, lack of trust - possible sympathizers working in the Malay intelligence service.

Option B:

Singapore mobilizes it's armed forces and begins striking back against launch sites using artillery, attack helicopters and CAS. Show of strength option. Risk of high level response - all out conventional war with Malaysia, alienation of Malay community and possible retaliating strikes against urban areas by the Malaysian armed forces.

This is beyond absurd. It looks like your aching for a war with anyone. It makes me wonder if you'd be happy if Singapore is in the middle of Arab Mideast, so that you can have all your "action".

If anything I think Singapore should fear indonesia more, as it is becoming more radical by the day and its economy in a bad shape. A bad economy with growing radical Islamization of Indonesia is not a good thing. Suharto did a good job with an Iron fist, but I'm not sure about the current gov. But the current gov has shown to be incapable of arresting the situation during the economic crisis of 1998 with the mobs attack on minority populations.

Schumacher

Option B without a doubt. Let's leave out the country names since the option would be the same for any small nations heavily reliant on foreign trade/investments. Such nations simply can't afford drawn out conflicts even low level ones.
This is especially true if the small nation has existing superiority in conventional forces. You use this advantage to hit them hard & early, NOT wait years for the conflict to degrade your economy which will inevitably lead to degradation of the advantage in forces by which time you will become a sitting duck.
Too bad if it escalates the situation with the big neighbors, see above, better to fight now when your superiority is still intact than later. Engage them if unavoidable, after all, they allowed attacks to be launched against you from their territories.
This way, the big neighbors will hopefully be severely wounded as well so they can't as easily take advantage of your own weakened state near the end of the conflict.

Lostfleet

I had thought of Red Storm Rising when I was originally composing some of my questions regarding the current scenario. The events in question in the book (the invasion of Iceland by the Soviets) occurred against the larger backdrop of a Soviet/Warsaw Pact invasion of Western Europe. Has this not been the case, additional NATO vessels and/or aircraft would have been available to deal with the initial landing force prior to actually seizing Iceland. IIRC, it was successfully attacked by 1 Harpoon AShM launched from a P-3 Orion, 1 Harpoon which failed to launch due to too many recent alerts for the ground crews, and the ship was then strafed with 20mm cannonfire by F-15 Eagles...

With regards to Singapore, a number of the forces are already dispersed outside of Singapore. IIRC there is an air force unit in France, as well as in Australia for training. Unless some hostile force was willing to get a number of the Great Powers involved, I do not see an attacker being able to dispatch all of Singapore's military in initial attack.

-Cheers
In the Red Storm Rising, the war has already started so there were armed patrol aircraft around, in Singapore case I think with a smart pre-location of civilian cargo ships around the island ( there are hundreds of them going through there) a suprise landing could be achieved. Of course if the suprise is blown than you will have a lot of sitting ducks to hunt for the Singapore Air Force.

British Post

In the Red Storm Rising, the war has already started so there were armed patrol aircraft around, in Singapore case I think with a smart pre-location of civilian cargo ships around the island ( there are hundreds of them going through there) a suprise landing could be achieved. Of course if the suprise is blown than you will have a lot of sitting ducks to hunt for the Singapore Air Force.
Right! But you forget that the Air Force alone cannot defend all of singapore, it should be more of a maritime thing since Singapore is an island (though this goes without saying). So why not have fleet of battleships waiting for the enemy?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right! But you forget that the Air Force alone cannot defend all of singapore, it should be more of a maritime thing since Singapore is an island (though this goes without saying). So why not have fleet of battleships waiting for the enemy?
I hope you enjoy posting at DT. If you don't mind, I'll just share a few thoughts:

(1) Objectively, the RSAF considers itself a 'small but capable air force' (small being a relative concept). However, please keep in mind the RSAF has 7 squadrons of fighters (the majority of which are block 52 or 52+ F-16s) and multiple force multipliers (like harpoon armed MPAs, tankers and CAEWs). Please take a look at Sunshin3's post earlier in this thread and the thread on the RSAF, for the relevant information. Not many navies can defend against an air force training regularly to operate in 50 or more aircraft strike packages. So an invasion fleet needs its own airwing and it would need to overcome the strike packages arriving in waves.

(2) Most battleships are now an 'extinct' or a mothballed species. Many modern blue water navies operate guided missile destroyers (or frigates) and submarines. Even fewer navies operate aircraft carriers. Please note that the RSN operates the 'Formidable' class of frigates (see link for further details) and also the Challenger class submarines. The RSN (please read the Navy League of Australia article) would also operate under air cover provided by the RSAF.

(3) For the scenario painted (without aircraft carriers) any invasion fleet is doomed to fail, unless total surprise is achieved, which is not easy to do.

(4) While you are correct that the RSAF alone does not defend Singapore alone, you need to look at the army and RSN too. So comparing or counting platforms (like the number of frigates and submarines) can be misleading.

You may need to read a bit more on naval tactics and think a bit more about what Todjaeger and others have said in comments in this thread. Not bad for a first try. :)

Do a little more work on your conceptual understanding, it will make your posts more interesting. I come here to learn from others too. I also ask questions when I don't understand certain technologies or things.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you knows the closest INDONESIAN island from singapore is BATAM just about 15 KM from them
@wesuper, yes, I am aware and thanks for your input. :)

We also have at least 2 Malaysians and 2 Indonesians (including you) in this thread discussing the best strategy to defend Singapore. I would welcome and encourage your thoughts on the scenario proposed. Fyi, the thread starter, Twister, had asked us to consider the following scenario:

Twister said:
Let just says that the same enemy just attack both Malaysia & Indonesia which Indonesia lost their control over the water territorial at the east & south (Riau Island) point of Singapore.

Both countries failed to help because need to defend themselves (Kuala Lumpur & Jakarta).

Even the enemy has control the Riau territorial water but fight still goes in the island.
So it is in that context that I made my comments for the benefit of British Post who is a bit younger... It is not my intention to be offensive (in case I come across as offensive or proud). We are here to learn from each other.

Peace my friend. :D

Last edited:

nevidimka

Th best scenario of defending Singapore is to set up a firewall. For example if Singapore is a Server, you'd set up firewall's to defend it. :D

So IMO, SIngapore's defence should start outside singapore at sea. Build a network of ships/submarines that will detect any incoming threat air/sea and neutralise it. That means ships loaded with AA/ASh/ASu capability.

Towards the north it would be practically usefull to have good relations with Malaysia to not engage in war with them, and have some form of military agreement with them , in which case FPDA comes in.

So I'd suggest Singapore to invest heavily on Navy, Ships/Subs.

wertyisme

Hello, first time poster here. Just found the forum. :)

Anyway, IMO if there's an actual invasion of Singapore itself as in Twister's scenario, the only way to defend Singapore would be costly street to street urban battles. But before that the direction of the attack has to be considered: where and how is the enemy going to invade or deploy on the island itself?

a) an amphibious assault on the west/east coasts of singapore (from the south) would be quite impossible considering the small front with which to land troops and the fact that the northern coast is too easily protected (we could rebuild fort siloso:D) with mines and what not. Furthermore the northern coasts are chockful of merchant shipping, such that attempting to approach from the south in force would be much too difficult. AND Singapore has no beaches large enough. That rules out amphibious assaults. (what country would have sufficient capability anyway? USA?)

b) assaults from the north through Tuas and Woodlands (Northwest and North) would be the most probable scenario, since its been tried-and-tested in WW2 (terrain dictated those routes anyway). The cross-straits bridges are also essential to bringing in armor assets to support any offensive, most likely following the Japanese route of going down towards the city center on the southern end of the island.

c) assaults from the north east, over pulau ubin and tekong. Very likely as well, since even small dinghys and patrol boats can cross that narrow strech of water between the islands with great ease.

d) from above, airborne-style. Very likely. Would make for effective disruptions. But highly dangerous, since any male older than 18 in Singapore is a potential combatant, and it would be difficult to coordinate landings as there aren't many places in Singapore sufficiently large to drop any unit larger than a company.

Invasions would most likely follow B and C for the reasons stated above. But once on the island proper defense would likely degenerate into a series of street battles and sniping actions since most of Singapore is built up with lots and lots of apartment buildings (imagine sniping positions from the 10th floor of an HDB flat). Possibly a Stalingrad style hardpoint defense that would force bloody house to house clearing on the part of the invaders until the SAF can mount an effective counterstrike.

The only other parts of the island that are not urban are the military live fire areas in the North West (where any response is likely to be organised from and the area is likely to be defended heavily with tanks and fortifications) and the Central areas of Singapore with the reservoirs and jungles and hills, but its gonna be weird. Imagine trekking up a hill within a jungle only to emerged on the opposing side 3 hours later with an expressway and blocks of flats staring at you. Maybe position the artillery on those areas and set up chokepoints on major expressways?

the air force is most likely going to fly interdiction against incoming bombers rather than close ground support since the SAF isn't going to be keen on smashing the infrastructure.

hmmm there's nothing else really. a defense of the island is going to be rather straightforward since the operation areas are going to be really cramp. did i miss anything?

Crunchy

Ww3

If any agressor reachs Singapore than probably SG's allies have already give up/betrayed Singapore or ASEAN has either fell apart or be beaten by the agressor. Then it doesn't matter much how good the Singaporeans fight.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
If any agressor reachs Singapore than probably SG's allies have already give up/betrayed Singapore or ASEAN has either fell apart or be beaten by the agressor. Then it doesn't matter much how good the Singaporeans fight.
Crunchy, you have met the minimum threshold in DT rules in your above response (i.e. it is not a one liner).

Would you care to explain how you came to this conclusion? Have you read the thread (all the pages)?:D

the road runner

Hello, first time poster here. Just found the forum. :)

Anyway, IMO if there's an actual invasion of Singapore itself as in Twister's scenario, the only way to defend Singapore would be costly street to street urban battles. But before that the direction of the attack has to be considered: where and how is the enemy going to invade or deploy on the island itself?

a) an amphibious assault on the west/east coasts of singapore (from the south) would be quite impossible considering the small front with which to land troops and the fact that the northern coast is too easily protected (we could rebuild fort siloso:D) with mines and what not. Furthermore the northern coasts are chockful of merchant shipping, such that attempting to approach from the south in force would be much too difficult. AND Singapore has no beaches large enough. That rules out amphibious assaults. (what country would have sufficient capability anyway? USA?)

b) assaults from the north through Tuas and Woodlands (Northwest and North) would be the most probable scenario, since its been tried-and-tested in WW2 (terrain dictated those routes anyway). The cross-straits bridges are also essential to bringing in armor assets to support any offensive, most likely following the Japanese route of going down towards the city center on the southern end of the island.

c) assaults from the north east, over pulau ubin and tekong. Very likely as well, since even small dinghys and patrol boats can cross that narrow strech of water between the islands with great ease.

d) from above, airborne-style. Very likely. Would make for effective disruptions. But highly dangerous, since any male older than 18 in Singapore is a potential combatant, and it would be difficult to coordinate landings as there aren't many places in Singapore sufficiently large to drop any unit larger than a company.

Invasions would most likely follow B and C for the reasons stated above. But once on the island proper defense would likely degenerate into a series of street battles and sniping actions since most of Singapore is built up with lots and lots of apartment buildings (imagine sniping positions from the 10th floor of an HDB flat). Possibly a Stalingrad style hardpoint defense that would force bloody house to house clearing on the part of the invaders until the SAF can mount an effective counterstrike.

The only other parts of the island that are not urban are the military live fire areas in the North West (where any response is likely to be organised from and the area is likely to be defended heavily with tanks and fortifications) and the Central areas of Singapore with the reservoirs and jungles and hills, but its gonna be weird. Imagine trekking up a hill within a jungle only to emerged on the opposing side 3 hours later with an expressway and blocks of flats staring at you. Maybe position the artillery on those areas and set up chokepoints on major expressways?

the air force is most likely going to fly interdiction against incoming bombers rather than close ground support since the SAF isn't going to be keen on smashing the infrastructure.

hmmm there's nothing else really. a defense of the island is going to be rather straightforward since the operation areas are going to be really cramp. did i miss anything?
Welcome to the forum:p:

I have been watching this topic and I think attacking Singapore would be very foolish and difficult.Only the USA would have this capability.

wertyisme i will try and put a few questions to your scenario

points a/b/c) What would the Singapore Navy/Air force be doing when this amphibious landing in trying to close the gap around the straights of Singapore? The Singapore navy and air force would be sinking ships :D

Also remember that Singapore Army has Leo2 tanks, light units(like airborne/snipers) do not fair to well against tanks.I think Singapore Army would have the advantage against any lightly armed troops.

The world community would not just watch this unfold.The USA would send a carrier battle group to assist.

Australia would be sending subs,frigates,F-111,F-18 basically anything that Singapore needed to help defend its land/sea and air space.

once again welcome to the forum

Red

I have been watching this topic and I think attacking Singapore would be very foolish and difficult.Only the USA would have this capability.
Any attacker would have to come to terms with the RSAF which has 24 F15SG(possibly more orders in the very near future), 70+ F16s Blk 52/ 52 plus, 45-50 F5Es(upgraded to shoot amraams) which are backed by E-2C AEW Hawkeyes which will be replaced by Phalcon Gulfstreams AEW & C this year.There are also around 40 Super-Skyhawks in active storage reserve.

SAF utilizes a host of radars such as the FPS-117(upgraded)(>450km), Giraffe AMB(100km), P-stars, etc(not exactly following SAF`s ground radar developments). RSAF utilizes a variety of UAVs for surveillance and detection; Hermes 450s, Searcher 2s, etc. The military also leverages on a wide array of civilian radars as Singapore is an aviation and maritime hub in the region.

Singapore`s layered air defence includes the recently and locally upgraded I-hawks(40km) which can now engage multiple targets simultaneously and upgraded Rapiers(8-10km range)(reportedly replaced by Israeli Spyders(15km range)) and a host of shorter range vshorads. I-hawks would possibly be replaced by Patriots/Meads in the near future and possibly Israeli Arrow 3s to counter ABM threats.

Singapore has 6 frigates and 18 corvette class vessels. The 6 Formidable class frigates and 6 Victory class heavy corvettes are armed with 75mm Super rapid cannons, Harpoons SSMs, torpedoes, Aster15s/30s anti-air missiles, Baraks anti-air missiles, etc. The 12 Fearless class corvettes(called Patrol Vessels by the RSN) are armed with 75mm Super Rapid cannons, torpedoes, Mistrals anti-air missiles, Israeli Gabriels SSMs, etc. The latter can be equipped with Harpoons as well and it is no secret that it will be so in exigencies.

The RSN operates 4 submarine with 2 more submarines arriving next year. The latter two comes equipped with AIP. In addition, the navy operates Fokker-50 MPAs armed with harpoons and torpedoes.

The RSN also operates fleets of unmanned surface vessels(usvs) such as the Protectors and Spartans. Protectors are armed with mini-typhoon cannons while the Spartans can be armed likewise with the addition of Spike missiles or configured as anti-submarine usvs with torpedoes and/or sonars. These USVs will be deadly in a littoral fight where they can shoot and scoot fast, dodging enemy sensors(they are very small being at around 7-11 metres) and weapons.

Only the US has the capability to end the RSN and RSAF with her carrier battle groups currently.

After that, you`ll need to land your forces and fight through around 73,000 active and professional forces and another 350,000 conscript reserves(ala Israel) on recall every year. These forces are supplemented by around 200,000 more para-military units from the Civil Defence forces and Kins. Then again, every male >18 years of age in Singapore is going to be a combatant and trained as such. There should be should enough rifles to go around. That`s around 1.7 million currently.

The army is very networked and has the ability to respond fast to changing situations and new threats.

The army operates >132 Leopard 2 main battle tanks which are about to be locally upgraded to the equivalent 2A6 standard minus the L55 gun, 100-120 Centurian main battle tanks(upgraded with new armour and 105mm gun), 350 AMX-13 SM1 locally upgraded light tanks(still in operation though some have been retired), Bionix 2 IFVs with 30 mm cannons, Bionix 1 IFVs with 25mm cannons plus other varients, Broncos and older but upgraded M113s, etc. Add the possible and imminent purchase of ST`s Terrex(Singapore`s Strykers). If I can recall, ISIS Military Balance 2007 puts Singapore`s armored IFV/APC strength at around >1600. There are also 20 Apache Longbow attack helicopters operated by the RSAF.

Artillery includes 155mm 52 cal FH2000 howitzers, 155mm 39 cal FH88 howitzers, 155mm 39 cal Pegasus howitzers(heli transportable), 155mm 39 cal Primus SPHs and the HIMARs MLRS system(to be inducted this year). With regards to the Himars, Singapore has officially purchased the unitary GMLRs rockets with a range of 85km. Himars could also be equipped with Israeli Extra precision rockets with a range in excess of 130km. Singapore is unlikely to declare the latter purchase however(if any). No news on the purchase of ATACMs yet.

Last edited:

Red

Do not forget to add this into the equation. Singapore has a military agreement/treaty with the US on basing facilities and equipment. It has been significantly expanded over the years. Recently, it has been suggested that US LCS modules should be based in Singapore as well. COMLOG WESTPAC is based in Singapore after having moved from Subic Bay.

Unlike the Phillipines where the US owns the latter bases, US warships and planes are in constant transit through Singapore owned naval bases and air-bases. Also, Changi naval base is the only naval base in South East Asia where US Nuclear carriers can berth. Needless to say, the latter is intentional for future exigencies. US navy ships are routinely repaired and serviced in Singapore ports. Same with USAF aircrafts. More than 100 key US navy warships call on Singapore naval bases and ports yearly; including Nuclear Carriers.

There are reports online where it is reported that the US is seeking to lease and operate dry docks for her carriers in Singapore.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/images/singapore-basina.jpg

Any attack on Singaporean bases could inadvertently attack US forces here. That would be a really bad mistake. Singapore bases are also used by allies UK, New Zealand and Australia. Recently, Singapore and Australia signed a new memorandum to deepen the already tight defence pact between the two countries and share facilities and equipment(?).

Singapore has refused the US`s offer for an upgrade in diplomatic treaty status to "major Non-NATO ally" unlike Thailand; prefering to be allied unofficially with the US while maintaining good relations with her Muslim dominated neighbours and China.

Nevertheless, Singapore`s military has a high a degree of access to top notch US equipment and this has translated into purchases such as the only foreign AESA equipped F15SGs, Apache helicopters, E-2C Hawkeyes(one of the few foreign countries allowed to purchase the latter), Himars, C-17s(a sales team came over), Amraam C-7s, JSOWs, Phalcon radars, etc. Singapore`s DSTA also works closely with the US`s Darpa on some interesting projects. Interestingly, her access is higher than some major Non-Nato US allies and this is probably due to the value both countries have placed in this close relationship.

Last edited:

Crunchy

Crunchy, you have met the minimum threshold in DT rules in your above response (i.e. it is not a one liner).

Would you care to explain how you came to this conclusion? Have you read the thread (all the pages)?:D
:D There are discussions to expand the ASEAN treaties towards a defence pact.

:rolleyes: I'm just looking from the political level: Any conflict involving SG would involve major powers, aka possibility of escalation towards WW3