Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again the statement was that the number is NOT fixed, and will depend on funding.

Allegedly one more sub was laid down for construction. Additionally the Yuriy Dolgorukiy is not complete yet. It's due to be completed iirc this month.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen it mentioned. Never by name, and no announced completion date. I'll try to find you a source.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a Russian article that says a fourth Borei is in the pumpline.

Over 40% of Defense Ministry funds go to Navy - Russia's Ivanov | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

l Ivanov say's 40% Russia's Defense bugdet goes to the Russian Navy.

Well the Russian submarine fleet is costly

Delta 4
They have recently been completely overhauled.
Refitted with modernized version of the R-29RM (SS-N-23)
known as Sineva.

Oscar 2
The Russians will be starting on Oscar 2s since they finished the
Delta 4 overhauls.

The Russians want build 8 Borei before 2015. The Delta 4 and the Snivea are slated to last for atleast a decade and a half. The Snivea are to long for the Borei.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
All project 667 subs now have the Sineva R-29RMU2.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

There are 6 of them in the 3rd submarine flotilla, based in Northern Fleet, one more is still in refit. I'm assuming that in addition to receiving the new missiles, they got repairs and modernizations done but I haven't found out what exactly has been done.

Wall83

wow, looks nice. But why does the sail looks that way? New design to reduce water turbulence?
Probably. The older sails on Akula class for exampel looks more cool, borei looks just.....boring. I wounder when the first submarine finaly will enter full service. Looks more like late 2010 now when the Bulava keeps blowing up.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing about Ushakov. Nakhimov has been "in modernization" for years, with no visible results (as far as I can tell). I suspect he said what he meant. Lazarev and Ushakov. He also said it would make sense to have 3 such ships. 2 in the Northern Fleet and one in the Pacific.

Also another bit of news, the 4th class 955 sub has been named: Saint Nicholas. Merry Christmas I suppose.

Balancer

there are rumors(which seem to be true) on russian forums that 4 frigates project 1135.6 and one frigate project 22350 will be set on Yantar shipyard and all for Russian navy in 2010...

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three of that class are being built for India but they have already been laid down.