Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a frigate fyi. 4500 tons, one currently under construction. It's name (ironically) is Admiral Gorshkov.

EDIT: your article is more detailed then the one I read. So the airwing is projected at around 30-36 PAK-FA fighters, or potentially a mixed of 24 PAK-FA, and 24 other light fighter (MiG's LFI??).

nevidimka

It's a frigate fyi. 4500 tons, one currently under construction. It's name (ironically) is Admiral Gorshkov.

EDIT: your article is more detailed then the one I read. So the airwing is projected at around 30-36 PAK-FA fighters, or potentially a mixed of 24 PAK-FA, and 24 other light fighter (MiG's LFI??).

I think the light fighters may be MiG 29K, or MiG 35 K. Its a mix of new and old stuff, which would reduce the cost without too much compromise.

I think that maybe, MiG is heavily involved in the UAV's as well. A navalised Skat's would be a force multiplier.

The only question is the AWACS. Its better to have fixed wing AWACS than helicopters. But I'd like to see something new like a UAV AWACS.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hehe, finalize isn't the correct word. I'm sure they're still working on the planning stage. If the plan is finalized in 2012, I don't see what stops construction from starting right then and there in 2012.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Feanor, those 4 Billion budgets, surely it's only for the carriers and not included the air wing ? It will be interested to see if for this planned 3 nuclear powered carrires, the russian still use Stobar or already using Catobar method.
Just wandering though if the Catobar being choosed, then could Kutsnetzov be modified for Catobar too..??

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Feanor, those 4 Billion budgets, surely it's only for the carriers and not included the air wing ? It will be interested to see if for this planned 3 nuclear powered carrires, the russian still use Stobar or already using Catobar method.
Just wandering though if the Catobar being choosed, then could Kutsnetzov be modified for Catobar too..??
You wont get three carriers for 4 billion dollars, let alone the airgroup. Even the conventional QE's will be 3-4 billion each.

Admiral Kutzenov uses STOBAR.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
You wont get three carriers for 4 billion dollars, let alone the airgroup. Even the conventional QE's will be 3-4 billion each.

Admiral Kutzenov uses STOBAR.
Well I also thought figure 4 billion is rather cheap for a nuclear carrier. JUst want confirmation that this not included fighters wing (although still have doubt that the russian can pull 4 billion budget on a nuclear carrier).

I know Kutnezov is using Stobar, I just wandering if the next planned nuclear carriers using Catobar (as the russian according to the info has not decide whether still using Stobar or switch to Catobar on the new carriers), then all new carrier capable fighters will be gear for Catobar...
If that happen, could Kutnezov easily modified to Catobar...or facing early withdrawall ?? Afterall the new British QE2 will be in SVTOL set but will be easily modified to Catobar if neccesary.
Just wandering if this can also be done to Kutnezov, and what's the level of difficulty.

kev 99

Well I also thought figure 4 billion is rather cheap for a nuclear carrier. JUst want confirmation that this not included fighters wing (although still have doubt that the russian can pull 4 billion budget on a nuclear carrier).

I know Kutnezov is using Stobar, I just wandering if the next planned nuclear carriers using Catobar (as the russian according to the info has not decide whether still using Stobar or switch to Catobar on the new carriers), then all new carrier capable fighters will be gear for Catobar...
If that happen, could Kutnezov easily modified to Catobar...or facing early withdrawall ?? Afterall the new British QE2 will be in SVTOL set but will be easily modified to Catobar if neccesary.
Just wandering if this can also be done to Kutnezov, and what's the level of difficulty.
It would need to have a major refit, at the very least the ski ramp would need to be removed and cats installed which would require lots of piping for the steam.

The Russians might just keep her in service, the Soviet navy wasn't exactly highly standardised.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kuznetsov will probably remain in service for quite some time. Probably until the end of it's service life.

As for the budget, I suspect that if this project is to succeed, it will be increased. Several times.

SkolZkiy

the future aircarrier will have STOBAR 100% and may be CATOBAR. It has simple explanation. During winter (6 months) in the North it is very difficult to use CATOBAR.
Kuznetsov will remain in service till 2020 - I've read about this somewhere? but don't remember where.
4Bil without AC and don't compare US prices with Ru prices. In Russia many things a much more cheaper then in US if we look at $ prices.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

SkolZkiy

No it is not that difficult.
Steam catapuls- will they work in Barents sea - Aircraft Carriers - NavWeaps Discussion Boards - NavWeaps Discussion Boards - Message Board - Yuku

The equipment will still work with no problem, launch and recovery would be a little more fun but still very doable.
May be, but all militaries experts say that that STOBAR will be 100% and CATOBAR - under discussion.
The problem with CATOBAR is that after launch in winter-time it became ice very fast - it was tested in Russia. So there will be need to solve this problem. They will work, no doubt but there are problems with steam after launch. It was so in 80-90s current situation is unknown. May be those problems were solved. We have no experience of building CATOBAR that's the main problem =)

big19

May be, but all militaries experts say that that STOBAR will be 100% and CATOBAR - under discussion.
The problem with CATOBAR is that after launch in winter-time it became ice very fast - it was tested in Russia. So there will be need to solve this problem. They will work, no doubt but there are problems with steam after launch. It was so in 80-90s current situation is unknown. May be those problems were solved. We have no experience of building CATOBAR that's the main problem =)
good evening....Im new in this forum..... and I would like to know about CVN Kuznetzov. After the last incidet occurrred in Med Sea the AC back to the NSF. Have you information if the unit it is again operational or how long will remain in the Shipyard?

SkolZkiy

good evening....Im new in this forum..... and I would like to know about CVN Kuznetzov. After the last incidet occurrred in Med Sea the AC back to the NSF. Have you information if the unit it is again operational or how long will remain in the Shipyard?
It is now operatable. Everything is ok.
But it requiers modernization and new AC
And by the way it is not CVN it is just CV =)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to defence talk. Please do read the rules, and enjoy your stay. It would help a lot of you made a post in the introduction threads in the Intro's and Off-Topic forums, or a thread to introduce yourself.

big19

Welcome to defence talk. Please do read the rules, and enjoy your stay. It would help a lot of you made a post in the introduction threads in the Intro's and Off-Topic forums, or a thread to introduce yourself.
Hello everybody
I am civilian and interested, general speaking in Russian Navy. Im 45 year old and live in Italy. Regarding CVN was just mistake ....sorry.......and I would like speak about future of Russian Navy and its strategic objectives.
thanks

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It all depends on the schedule. 4 are under construction right now, with one almost finished. Sergei Ivanov explicitily stated that the number is not fixed, and will depend on funding availability.

Wall83

It all depends on the schedule. 4 are under construction right now, with one almost finished. Sergei Ivanov explicitily stated that the number is not fixed, and will depend on funding availability.
Four under construction? Two are under construction that i know of, the Alexander Nevsky and the Vladimir Monomakh.

Remember that they also will have to produce 128 bulava missiles for all the subs. Thats over 20 missiles a year to arm all the subs by 2015.