Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first MiG-29K purchase are expected in 2010, to the AVMF.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: ÂÌÔ êóïèò èñòðåáèòåëè ÌèÃ-29Ê äëÿ "Àäìèðàëà Êóçíåöîâà"

This would mean several things. First off the money won't come from the defense budget. The 2009-11 defense budget was drafted ahead of time, and did not include this purchase. (it didn't include the Su-35 purchase either) The purchase is to come over the next 3-4 years, numbering 24 aircraft total. In theory this leaves the Su-33 retired by 2015 when it's service life expires. However the article also talks about extending the service life of the Su-33 to last until 2025. Which means either the AVMF will have a larger inventory of aircraft, or there are expected to be problems and delays with the MiG-29K purchase.

Also there are no delivery dates specified, which means the purchase might come now, but the deliveries come past 2015.

This correlates well with earlier announcements about the MiG-35 fulfilling the LFI requirement for the VVS.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Additionally, the idea of aircraft carriers is up again, with statements from the head of the VMF that the first ship could be ready by 2020, followed by statements that aircraft carriers should be part of the IADS and BMD of Russia.

Головной авианоÑец может быть поÑтроен к 2020 г - главком ВМФ Ð*Ф | Оборона и безопаÑноÑÑ‚ÑŒ | Лента новоÑтей "Ð*ИРÐовоÑти"
ÐвианоÑный флот должен быть чаÑтью ПВО и ПÐ*О Ñтраны - главком ВМФ Ð*Ф | Оборона и безопаÑноÑÑ‚ÑŒ | Лента новоÑтей "Ð*ИРÐовоÑти"

Finally there is talk that the Mistral is mainly intended as a command and control ship rather then an expeditionary landing ship.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Ìèíîáîðîíû ðàññêàçàëî î ïðèìåíåíèè âåðòîëåòîíîñöà "Ìèñòðàëü"

EDIT: And another update. Apparently the project parameters for the aircraft carriers will be finalized this year. http://lenta.ru/news/2010/02/26/carrier/

The tentative date for the first ship is still 2020.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the new project 667 Lada class is due in iirc fall, for experimental active duty.

However there's also bad news. At the current rate, the Novorossiysk base is behind schedule, which means if the BSF has to move from Sevastopol in 2017 it might not have suitable facilities to move to.

Wall83

Sandhi Yudha

St. Petersburg's Severnaya Verf shipyard floated out on March 31 the Project 20380 Soobrazitelny corvette. The warship, featuring stealth technology, is designed to protect Russia’s coastal waters and to provide artillery support for beach landings.
(Picture taken from Rianovosti)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Others are currently in production, with a series of 20 planned currently. The needs of the VMF in this class of ship are estimated at 30 ships.

Wall83

Shipbuilding is relly something Russia should beef up. It takes far to long to get a ship constructed and launched.
I have my doubts about 20 ships being built in that class, If I have to gess then no more then 5-7 ships will be made by 2015.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
20 have been ordered. 3 are in production right now. One is finished and in VMF service. One is being handed over to the VMF soon. Where do you see 20 being built?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where (in Russia) do you see facilities capable of building 20 of those ships by 2015? ;)

EDIT: And how about the money?

The current program is rather decentralized from the looks of it, so we have no idea what type of timeframe this order is being processed in. 1 ship is basically complete, 3 others under construction. Presumably all of these will be handed over before 2015. That will make for a total of 5 of the class in VMF service. How many others get laid down remains to be seen, and will let us guesstimate as to what kind of timeframe they're working with. Until then... can't tell much can we?

Is there a realistic view on the future size of the Russian Fleet. If you take into consideration the age of some ships and the current construction rate. It must be looking something like: 18-25 SSBN/SSN, 12-20 SSK? 10-15 destoyers/crusiers/large frigates and maybe 20 frigates/corvettes. I can't see 4-6 carriers, they don't have a yard to build them and even the Ukrainian ones will not have built anything for 15+ years?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sevmash can theoretically build carriers. Not to mention the Kuznetsov will remain operational for over a decade (possibly over two decades, depending on how things play out). So there will be atleast an aircraft-carrying cruiser operational.

Interestingly enough an Udaloy-class ASW destroyer that's been in long-term refit for close to a decade, has rejoined the Northern Fleet recently. It would be curious to see if anyone can find out what the new weapon systems on it are, as allegedly it's weapon systems have been replaced.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Çàâåðøèëàñü ìîäåðíèçàöèÿ ïðîòèâîëîäî÷íîãî êîðàáëÿ "Âèöå-àäìèðàë Êóëàêîâ"
Large ASW ship Vice Admiral Kulakov returns to NF after capital upgrade

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. I saw the same news, and it was ambiguous. I wouldn't expect Ukraine to actually want such a ship, where as Russia would benefit from it tremendously and Ukraine could use the money. On the other hand stranger things have happened, so it may very well end up in Ukrainian hands. The article I read mentions it requiring millions of dollars worth of Russian armaments to be purchased to complete the ship, which is what caught my eye.

EDIT: Apparently it's VMF afterall.

http://newsru.com/world/19may2010/ukreiser.html

Last edited:

KiwiRob

Where (in Russia) do you see facilities capable of building 20 of those ships by 2015? ;)

EDIT: And how about the money?

The current program is rather decentralized from the looks of it, so we have no idea what type of timeframe this order is being processed in. 1 ship is basically complete, 3 others under construction. Presumably all of these will be handed over before 2015. That will make for a total of 5 of the class in VMF service. How many others get laid down remains to be seen, and will let us guesstimate as to what kind of timeframe they're working with. Until then... can't tell much can we?
Production of Project 20380 appears to be ramping up, Amur Shipyard has now been given a contract to start production, the company I work for has received orders for equipment for the 4 under construction at Severnaya and will get orders for however many will be constructed at Amur.

Amur are going to be a very busy shipyard over the nect couple of years with 2 x MPSV06, 5-10 tankers for Gasprom, plus the corvettes, quite a lot of work for a shipyard that hasn't delivered a ship in a very long time. I guess that's what happens when you whisper sweet nothings in the ear of the Prime Minister.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Production of Project 20380 appears to be ramping up, Amur Shipyard has now been given a contract to start production, the company I work for has received orders for equipment for the 4 under construction at Severnaya and will get orders for however many will be constructed at Amur.

Amur are going to be a very busy shipyard over the nect couple of years with 2 x MPSV06, 5-10 tankers for Gasprom, plus the corvettes, quite a lot of work for a shipyard that hasn't delivered a ship in a very long time. I guess that's what happens when you whisper sweet nothings in the ear of the Prime Minister.
It's not the Amur shipyard that has connections to the top. It's the Federal Development Program for the Far East that leads to orders being placed in those places.