Russia to get SU-35 by 2011

Chrom

I thought the upgraded version was the one they were offering for export. Can someone please explain.
Thanks.:)
I already explained. Su-35BM is intended for export and was developed mainly for it. Small numbers might be bought by russian army for testing and marketing purposes.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

Vivendi

Sorry but things look otherwise. Alexander Zelin said Russia plans to form 2-3 regiments of Su-35's. I would imagine upgrading existing Flankers would be a more viable option, but it looks like they're getting the new ones after all.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=56924&cid=25

EDIT: Zelin is head of the VVS.

EDIT2: Apparently the 117C engines on the new Su-35 are capable of supercruise.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=56936&cid=25
I am not at all surprised to learn that the Russians want to buy some SU-35, as you may have noticed in the last few years Putin has started spending the money from oil (second biggest exporter in the world..!) and gas on re-building the military, in a big manner... this is just the beginning....Russia is becoming rich very fast...

Video on Youtube that claims to show the second test flight of SU-35:

(h)ttp://youtube.com/watch?v=jfsjycSMMLo

Is there some form of analysis of the new SU-35 available? In particular I would be very interested in reading about how this new SU-35 would fare in an a2a situation with the euro-canards. Would the Eurocanards be killed off quite easily by the SU-35 or...? Another way of looking at it: Do you see the SU-35 as a strong argument for the European countries to scrap their expensive, newly-built Euro-canards and buy F-35 instead? (Yes I know several European countries will buy F-35, but not all, e.g. Germany, France, Sweden..)

V.

Chrom

Sorry but things look otherwise. Alexander Zelin said Russia plans to form 2-3 regiments of Su-35's. I would imagine upgrading existing Flankers would be a more viable option, but it looks like they're getting the new ones after all.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=56924&cid=25

EDIT: Zelin is head of the VVS.

EDIT2: Apparently the 117C engines on the new Su-35 are capable of supercruise.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=56936&cid=25
Ah, russian generals speak all kind of nonsense wishful stuff quite often. You know, like 3 carriers by 2015-2020 and so on.
There is no money planned for major Su-35 purchase in published 2015 military acquisition plan.
However, if PAK-FA will be delayed too much, some money could be relocated from it to Su-35 purchase.

Vivendi

Ah, russian generals speak all kind of nonsense wishful stuff quite often. You know, like 3 carriers by 2015-2020 and so on.
There is no money planned for major Su-35 purchase in published 2015 military acquisition plan.
However, if PAK-FA will be delayed too much, some money could be relocated from it to Su-35 purchase.
http://mdb.cast.ru/mdb/1-2008/item2/article3/

The state armaments program to 2015 projects the delivery of 116 generation-four-plus fighting planes, including 56 Su-34 frontline bombers (not counting the two delivered in 2006), and 60 Su-35 (Su-27BM) fighters. However, production of the Su-34 is facing delays and a Su-35 prototype is expected to make its first flight only in 2008. In any case, it is clear that even if the state plan is fulfilled to the end, only four of the existing 39 frontline regiments will receive new aircraft, and a maximum of 18 will see some modernization of their planes. We may thus expect to see further quantitative reductions to the operational strength of the Air Force before 2015.
I am confused... is this the new or old SU-35 ? Or is this source not trustworthy?

V

Scorpion82

@Vivendi,
no eurpean nation will scrap their ECDs because of the Su-35. I'm sure this aircraft is going to be quite impressive, but I'm not really convinced about the ECDs not being able to deal with this thread especially given the entire potential operational environment.

And yes the article you mentioned speaks about the new Su-35.

BTW the video is indeed one of the Su-35 prototype, but I have no idea if it is really its second flight.

Haavarla

One Su-35BM(no.901) have allready made test flight.

I think it was in Feb 2008.
2 more Su-35(no.902-903) are due late 2008.
All 3 will be installed with the new NPO Saturn 117S engines with vectored thrust and supercruise capability.

Not entirely sure about the S/C capability..

No it will not be a export version of the new Su-35BM, not for years anyway..

They have export versions like the Su-27SK with no thrust vector and no carnards wings.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZq6C17m_k"]YouTube - SU-27 SK[/ame]

The Irkut plant have the export versions Su-30MKI, Su-30MKA Su-30MKK and so on.
Those are upgraded to some extent.

Last edited:

nevidimka

I am not at all surprised to learn that the Russians want to buy some SU-35, as you may have noticed in the last few years Putin has started spending the money from oil (second biggest exporter in the world..!) and gas on re-building the military, in a big manner... this is just the beginning....Russia is becoming rich very fast...

Video on Youtube that claims to show the second test flight of SU-35:

(h)ttp://youtube.com/watch?v=jfsjycSMMLo

Is there some form of analysis of the new SU-35 available? In particular I would be very interested in reading about how this new SU-35 would fare in an a2a situation with the euro-canards. Would the Eurocanards be killed off quite easily by the SU-35 or...? Another way of looking at it: Do you see the SU-35 as a strong argument for the European countries to scrap their expensive, newly-built Euro-canards and buy F-35 instead? (Yes I know several European countries will buy F-35, but not all, e.g. Germany, France, Sweden..)

V.
That is the new SU 35BM in the video. There is slight physical differences from the basic flanker.

The SUkhoi is an excellent fighter on subsonic speeds. But I believe with the introduction of the powerfull 117 engine which can supercruise, it will be able to hold better with the European fighters particularly the typhoon at higher speeds.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find me the quote please. Russian generals have spoken crap in the past, but the carriers were mentioned with a 40-50 year timeframe.

The 2015 acquisition plan is already dead. This is the plan that envisioned 1400 T-90's produced.

No it will not be a export version of the new Su-35BM, not for years anyway..

They have export versions like the Su-27SK with no thrust vector and no carnards wings.
That's crap. Negotiations about the Su-35 export are already underway with Venezuela and Libya. Whether they substantiate into anything or not remains to be seen, but the plane is certainly export oriented. The Su-27SK has seen barely any export compared to derivatives of of the Su-30MK.

The Irkut plant have the export versions Su-30MKI, Su-30MKA Su-30MKK and so on.
Those are upgraded to some extent.
So good job on disproving your own earlier claim. The mainstay of Russian fighter export has actually been mid to late gen. Flankers. Not the outdated Su-27SK which you mentioned.

nevidimka

I think the Su 35 BM has future in Russian VVS. They would probably make up a counterbalance to the more expensive PAK FA. Stealth is not needed in all scenarios, and at such the Su 35 BM can fulfill the gap and make aquisitions more cheaper for the RuAF.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
182 is unlikely. Highly unlikely. Currently MDB listed 7 regiments of Su-27's in the VVS, out of which 36 are upgraded to the SM standard. Each regiment is roughly 2 squardons of 12 planes. 12 times 2 times 7 = ~168 planes. Maybe a little more (spare airframes, some regiments having an extra squadrons). 182 would replace practically the entire existing Flanker fleet.

EDIT: I can certainly see ~36 of the Su-35BM, with about another 120 of the SM2 standard Su-27's, and a handful of PAK-FA around the 2020 timeframe.

ROCK45

Flanker question

Feanor you mention that Russia upgraded 36 Flankers to SM standards are non SM Flankers out classed by Chinese modes? Would Russian squadrons along China's border get more training time compared to others? Thanks

Chrom

As i said, there is all kind of nonsense flying in the air. Right now generals and MOD "sources" can whisper all kind of wishful stuff to news makers, but the fact is - in official 2015 procurement plan there is still no money for Su-35.

Regarding last source: the article is dated before 2008. Only by end February 2008 Putin, after celebration of first Su-35BM flight, publically suggested government to correct 2015 military acquisition plan, and consider including some SU-35BM in it. As you see, no Su-35BM purchase was ever planned by the time of article.

So far the plan wasnt corrected, and as i said all these flying numbers - 60, 182, 390 or whatever - are just as serious as 3 carriers by 2015 in russian navy.

I'm sure maximum 15-20 Su-35 BM would be acquired before 2013, and that only if no major export contract came.

There could be more Su-35BM acquired later, if PAK-FA will face too much delay and old Su-27 would run out of resource.

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
182 is unlikely. Highly unlikely. Currently MDB listed 7 regiments of Su-27's in the VVS, out of which 36 are upgraded to the SM standard. Each regiment is roughly 2 squardons of 12 planes. 12 times 2 times 7 = ~168 planes. Maybe a little more (spare airframes, some regiments having an extra squadrons). 182 would replace practically the entire existing Flanker fleet.

EDIT: I can certainly see ~36 of the Su-35BM, with about another 120 of the SM2 standard Su-27's, and a handful of PAK-FA around the 2020 timeframe.
I thought Russia had much more SU-27s in service like around 320 or something.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The SM Flankers were iirc based in the Far East, i.e. near the Chinese border. As for numbers, we're talking about active aircraft. Not ones in storage.

Scramble lists 8 regiments as su-27 regiments, one more Su-27 as potentially disbanded, and 4 regiments that include some Su-27's in them, including the demo regiment with Russian Knights acrobatic team and the AVMF regiment which flies Su-33s and some Su-27UB's for training purposes. However the list is several year old. MDB listed 7 active Flanker regiments. It didn't mention the AVMF so that might account for some of the discrepancy.

EDIT: Yes Chinese MKK and MK2 would clearly outclass even the SM variants.

Chrom

The SM Flankers were iirc based in the Far East, i.e. near the Chinese border. As for numbers, we're talking about active aircraft. Not ones in storage.

Scramble lists 8 regiments as su-27 regiments, one more Su-27 as potentially disbanded, and 4 regiments that include some Su-27's in them, including the demo regiment with Russian Knights acrobatic team and the AVMF regiment which flies Su-33s and some Su-27UB's for training purposes. However the list is several year old. MDB listed 7 active Flanker regiments. It didn't mention the AVMF so that might account for some of the discrepancy.

EDIT: Yes Chinese MKK and MK2 would clearly outclass even the SM variants.
MKK will not outclass SM - they are about the same. Mk2 is however slightly better.

ROCK45

Fkanker question

Chrom I don’t know the variations of the Russian Flankers well like the different radar’s and weapons system over the years and so forth. Would the non SM Flanker be like an F-15A and the Chinese MKK a early model F-15C? Would that be a good comparison?

Haavarla

Find me the quote please. Russian generals have spoken crap in the past, but the carriers were mentioned with a 40-50 year timeframe.

The 2015 acquisition plan is already dead. This is the plan that envisioned 1400 T-90's produced.

That's crap. Negotiations about the Su-35 export are already underway with Venezuela and Libya. Whether they substantiate into anything or not remains to be seen, but the plane is certainly export oriented. The Su-27SK has seen barely any export compared to derivatives of of the Su-30MK.

So good job on disproving your own earlier claim. The mainstay of Russian fighter export has actually been mid to late gen. Flankers. Not the outdated Su-27SK which you mentioned.

Dude, the Su-30 variants have been manufactured at the Irkut plant for years.. they are upgraded, but nothing compared to the new Su-35BM!

What is the designations of the export version of the KNAAPO?
And how many Sukhoi's have the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production actully exportet recent years?

Last edited: