Russia to get SU-35 by 2011

justone

Banned Member
SU-35 by 2011 unlikely

Haavarla;. [I said:
"Having so far ordered 48 Su-35S, the aircraft will be one of the most significant modern assets in the Russian Air Force. Russia's Air Force commander, General Alexander Zelin, had recently announced that up to three air regiments would be equipped with Su-35 fighters in the future."[/I]

This will prob mean that the new Su-35(48) will be blended in with the SMs and possible older Su-27 units and regiments regiments.
This will help keep up the high end capabilities in those respective Regiments.

The Russian Air Force has problems that will hurt them in getting the SU-35 on time. The SU-35 will help the Russian Air Force I agree with that. The Russia Air Force is about 2 decades behind the U. S. Air Force. I have to ask this why would Russia agree to sell Venzuela and other countries this aircraft if is so good. No countries with top of line stuff will let anyone know about a top of line aircraft until it is in production. Giving the current problems in Russia its unlikely for this aircraft to be in production by 2011

Haavarla

Haavarla;. [I said:
"Having so far ordered 48 Su-35S, the aircraft will be one of the most significant modern assets in the Russian Air Force. Russia's Air Force commander, General Alexander Zelin, had recently announced that up to three air regiments would be equipped with Su-35 fighters in the future."[/I]

This will prob mean that the new Su-35(48) will be blended in with the SMs and possible older Su-27 units and regiments regiments.

The Russian Air Force has problems that will hurt them in getting the SU-35 on time. The SU-35 will help the Russian Air Force I agree with that. The Russia Air Force is about 2 decades behind the U. S. Air Force. I have to ask this why would Russia agree to sell Venzuela and other countries this aircraft if is so good. No countries with top of line stuff will let anyone know about a top of line aircraft until it is in production. Giving the current problems in Russia its unlikely for this aircraft to be in production by 2011

Thx for the input justone.
If and when the Su-35 get an export deal, it will by logic be an export version.
In other words, not the current Su-35S.

Thanks

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haavarla;. [I said:

It's in production already, including the engines. Additionally I suspect that "up to 3 regiments" really means 2-3 regiments. They might approve a purchase of an additional 24 fighters. The current Russian airbases format, still retains the regimental VVS structure, just puts it into more manageable taskforces. I seriously doubt it will be mixed. Russia agrees to sell this aircraft because we need (or rather want) money. It's that simple.

Haavarla

It's in production already, including the engines. Additionally I suspect that "up to 3 regiments" really means 2-3 regiments. They might approve a purchase of an additional 24 fighters. The current Russian airbases format, still retains the regimental VVS structure, just puts it into more manageable taskforces. I seriously doubt it will be mixed. Russia agrees to sell this aircraft because we need (or rather want) money. It's that simple.

Perhaps you're right. But it matters little, cause a batch/squadron/regiment of 12,18 or 24 Su-35S will most likely be station at an airbase along side with exsisting Su-27SM regiments.
Which again would mean those will merge into each other when doing exercise, patrols and god forbid on real missions..

Feanor do you think Russia are willing to export an Su-35 with the 117-S engines, NIIP N-035 Irbis radar, L175M Khibiny-M self-defense electronic countermeasures & electronic warfare system and all the latest software to other countries?

I don't think it could be done in the next 2-4 years, but perhaps later on when the Pak-Fa matures more.

Thanks

Last edited:

Haavarla

At last!
A good video of the "902":)

A Sukhoi production no doubt, but i take it anyway.:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saF0P0eEyWE&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps you're right. But it matters little, cause a batch/squadron/regiment of 12,18 or 24 Su-35S will most likely be station at an airbase along side with exsisting Su-27SM regiments.
Which again would mean those will merge into each other when doing exercise, patrols and god forbid on real missions..
Not that I know of. There are only 7 Flanker regiments in the country. I doubt there is enough redundancy here to station two or more at the same location. Airbases seem to be a mix of different types also. So an airbase might have a Flanker regiment, a Backfire regiment, a small detachment of helos, a squadron of Frogfoots, and a handful of antonovs.

Feanor do you think Russia are willing to export an Su-35 with the 117-S engines, NIIP N-035 Irbis radar, L175M Khibiny-M self-defense electronic countermeasures & electronic warfare system and all the latest software to other countries?

I don't think it could be done in the next 2-4 years, but perhaps later on when the Pak-Fa matures more.

Thanks
You answered your own question there. From my impression, KnAAPO is currently filled to capacity in terms of production. I think the politics have less to do with this then the simple reality of limited production capacity. It's the same as issues with Russian air defense system exports which are in decline right now because the MoD bought all the production slots.

Haavarla

From Sukhoi:

"Moscow, November 17. Sukhoi Company started implementing state contract on Su-35S multifunctional highly maneuverable fighter jets delivery to the Russian Defense Ministry. The contract was signed last August at the MAKS 2009 aerospace show on the delivery of 48 Sukhoi Su-35S before 2015 to the Defense Ministry. This is the largest purchase of modern fighter jets by the Russian Air Force in the past two decades. The Sukhoi's Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aviation Production Association (KnAAPO) in accordance with the approved schedule has already started production of component parts. Contracts were signed with sub-contractors for supply of necessary units, mechanisms and equipment. The assembly of the first serial planes is scheduled for 2010.

Long-term contracts for the fighter aircraft delivery to the Russian Air Force and foreign customers allow Sukhoi Company to provide for a steady work load of its serial plants by combat aircraft production and make a shift from modernizing aircraft in the Russian Air Force inventory to production of new products. Delivery of new Su-35S fighter jets will strengthen the country's defense potential and allow re-arming of combat aviation. The Su-35 is a substantially modernized highly maneuverable multifunctional 4++ generation aircraft employing technologies of the 5th generation. They make it superior to all other 4th generation fighter jets now under development worldwide.

The distinctive feature of Su-35 is the employment of a new suite of onboard instruments. Its core is the information management system, which integrates onboard subsystems into a single complex, a new phased array radar system with long-range aerial target detection. The radar control system detects and tracks an increased number of targets retaining continuity of space observation and targets engagement. Su-35 is powered by new engines with an increased thrust and a vectored thrust nozzle. It has a low observability and it is armed with new types of weapons
"

Sukhoi Company (JSC) - News - News

Thanks

Haavarla

Does anyone here know if the Su-35S will feature a onboard plugin station so ground crew can do a systems check /maintanace with a computer on the different systems on the aircraft?

Thanks

Haavarla

Sukhoi extending Su-35S testing

MOSCOW Dec 31
The number of Sukhoi Su-35 multifunctional fighter jets taking part in state tests will enlarge to six by the end of 2010, Su-35 program director, Sukhoi chief designer Igor Dyomin told Interfax-AVN.

“So far, two jets are being tested. Another four jets will be tested in the fourth quarter of next year,” Dyomin said.

The Su-35 multifunctional super-maneuverable fighter jet of the Sukhoi Company belongs to 4++ generation. It is capable of destroying air-, land-and sea-based targets with guided and unguided munitions.

A new radar station with a phased antenna array ‘Irbis-E’ will control the aircraft’s weaponry. The radar will trace air-based targets at a range of 400 kilometers, engage up to 30 air-based targets, and simultaneously attack eight air-based targets or four land-based targets.

I wonder if this has something to do with the Pak-Fa test program..
I remember reading that the Two Su-35S, 901 & 902 would do 200 test flights before completing the Su-35 test trials.
In mid-2009 the two aircraft reached 130 test flights.

Perhaps Sukhoi need further testing on new engines and radars..

Thanks

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you may be right about some PAK-FA elements being tested repeatedly. The Su-35BM was originally conceived as a dual purpose project. It was supposed to offer the latest generation Flanker for export and domestic market, but it was also to be a practical test of many PAK-FA subsystems (engines, avionics, even the PAK-FA AESA is allegedly an Irbis derivative). The Su-35BM also included some RCS tinkering (though I suspect it's just RAM coating, and removing the canards). All of this indicates that they are testing concepts for the PAK-FA. However if that assumption is correct then the extended testing schedule will not affect deliveries to the VVS.