Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

RegR

I like to follow the Irish military as they have similar considerations, struggles and issues (did someone say manning...) to us being a small underfunded under appreciated defence force expected to perform miracles, much like ourselves. Seemingly the prime oppourtunity to purchase our "excess un-needed" IPVs has slipped through navals fingers.

Perhaps a package deal with some similarly "un-wanted" NZLAV to add to their MOWAG variants will sweeten the pot?...

kiwipatriot69

I like to follow the Irish military as they have similar considerations, struggles and issues (did someone say manning...) to us being a small underfunded under appreciated defence force expected to perform miracles, much like ourselves. Seemingly the prime oppourtunity to purchase our "excess un-needed" IPVs has slipped through navals fingers.

Perhaps a package deal with some similarly "un-wanted" NZLAV to add to their MOWAG variants will sweeten the pot?...
So it seems Ireland in in a similar situation to NZDF then. Unfortunate considering the implications of covid and border patrol and the increased strain on personell, I would of thought some bolstering of funding would be in order.

RegR

So it seems Ireland in in a similar situation to NZDF then. Unfortunate considering the implications of covid and border patrol and the increased strain on personell, I would of thought some bolstering of funding would be in order.
By all accounts a pay rise could have been a good use of the money as well if not to keep the personnel they have and at least stem the attrition rate somewhat. Slippery slope once you start losing experience and knowledge hand over fist as its a hard capability to get back and build up again past a certain point.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A historical video on the battlecruiser HMS New Zealand. It's an interview by drachinfel a YouTube naval poster with NZ historian and author Matthew Wright. It's quite an informative video at 1 hour 7 mins in length and interestingly speaks to the genesis of NZ defence policy Vs Australian defence policy. I think that may explain NZ's attitude towards defence ever since.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think I read that Fraser's fleet units were proposed for all the dominions. Smaller ones having a single Fleet unit, larger having two or three each.

Nighthawk.NZ

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Will Aotearoa be going back to Tonga after resupply of Antarctica?
Who knows. That is an unknown at the moment.
Currently in Lyttelton doing the resupply thing before heading off...

Yep, it was also in isolation with non contact uplift of stores. It took onboard some scientists who will be doing some research during the voyage.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

chis73

Youtube video has been released by NZDF of HMNZS Aotearoa in Antarctica. (Link).

From the video, the ship and her crew are impressive. Unfortunately I am compelled to add that what is not shown is very disappointing (some might say deliberately misleading, in my opinion). Here is a clue (link). C'mon NZDF, you are better than this!

Youtube video has been released by NZDF of HMNZS Aotearoa in Antarctica. (Link).

From the video, the ship and her crew are impressive. Unfortunately I am compelled to add that what is not shown is very disappointing (some might say deliberately misleading, in my opinion). Here is a clue (link). C'mon NZDF, you are better than this!
Nice video.

IMHO I saw nothing in the video that was close to "deliberating misleading" at all. The RNZN made no false claims, nor did they embellish their achievements.
The US Coast Guard icebreaker did indeed open the channel to McMurdo Station for all shipping. It is something they do annually and up to their own PR department to inform or promote their operations (which they have).

Last edited:

Gibbo

Nice video.

IMHO I saw nothing in the video that was close to "deliberating misleading" at all. The RNZN made no false claims or embellish their achievements.
The US Coast Guard icebreaker did indeed open the channel to McMurdo Station for all shipping. It is something they do annually and up to their own PR department to inform or promote their operations (which they have).

Yep totally agree, a good factual video account. @chis73 If the inference is that she's not an ice-breaker, well no-one ever pretended she was and it's a capability the NZDF will openly tell you they don't have. It is in no way misleading!

Last edited by a moderator:

RegR

So it's seems official, Ireland is reportedly set to procure the two ex RNZN Lake Class Inshore patrol vessels from New Zealand.

They looked at Canterbury awhile ago as well for some inspiration so if and when it comes time to retire, replace or upgrade then maybe the Irish could have first dibs? Now if only we could interest them in some NZLAV to complement their mowags then we could really free up some defence real estate!