Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

KiwiRob

Roll out the looney lefty protestors, to whit the Auckland Peace Action Group. Actually they won't be able to get out of Auckland if the visit is before 15th December. Won't that rip their undies :D Notice that they never jump up and down protesting when a PLAN warship has been in Auckland.

It's interesting to see that this government approved such a visit. Something that I thought that they may have avoided in order to pander to their further left factions and supporters within the Labour Party.
There's been protestors sitting outside the Chinese Consulate in Auckland for over 20 years, I used to have the run the gauntlet past them when I worked for Travcour in the mid 90's. I know you have an axe to grind but a quick google search will show quite significant anti Chinese protests in NZ for at least the last 10 years.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There's been protestors sitting outside the Chinese Consulate in Auckland for over 20 years, I used to have the run the gauntlet past them when I worked for Travcour in the mid 90's. I know you have an axe to grind but a quick google search will show quite significant anti Chinese protests in NZ for at least the last 10 years.

I am not grinding an axe as you put it, but making an observation. When I am grinding an axe I will be very blunt about it because I don't suffer fools gladly. Don't make presumptions. If you want to play games that's fine, but I don't play games.

If the anti-nuclear and peace groups were true to their cause they would have been out protesting the PLAN ships as well, oh and the French naval ships that visit frequently and the rare RN ship. But no, they have a strong anti American bias. The Auckland Peace Group and their associate groups also protest the NZ Defence Industry Association annual conference each year. They try to prevent delegates entering the conference and they can get violent about it. I do not refute their right to protest. They like every other Kiwi have the rights of freedom of speech and freedom of association; however they do not have the right to prevent others from doing the same.

Nighthawk.NZ

I do not refute their right to protest. They like every other Kiwi have the rights of freedom of speech and freedom of association; however they do not have the right to prevent others from doing the same.
nor do they have the right to touch other people... nor actually preventing me or anyone else's right to do an event or their freedom of choice to go to an event
or whatever.... they do that to me and someone gets a fist in the face... especially if they touch me... they get one ⚠ warning... only one...

smithy-nz

Rule 12M of the Government Procurement Rules which pertains to military and essential security interests is the opt clause if the MoD/NZDF can get sign off on certain criteria for a single source acquisition without needing to go through all the GPR regime. The criteria for an opt out mainly rests on the fact that the proposed SOPV will be utilised by agencies covered by the Whole of Government Direction, additional to the NZDF. This is allowed for through Cabinet Office Circular (13) 4 which related to s107 of the Crown Entities Act 2004.

The VARD 7-115 would make for a good WLG and OTG replacement though.
And if a 3rd and 4th purchased frigate replacements, as The Mana an The Kaha are low capability vessels as key systems do not work, and the ships are old. No Sea Sprite has launched a Penguin, no ship has launched a Sea ceptor -unless there a pics to prove me wrong. New ships need plug and play systems, like the latest ultralight 76mm and SeaRam system proven to work, this is real capability.

swerve

Super Moderator
And if a 3rd and 4th purchased frigate replacements, as The Mana an The Kaha are low capability vessels as key systems do not work, and the ships are old. No Sea Sprite has launched a Penguin, no ship has launched a Sea ceptor -unless there a pics to prove me wrong. New ships need plug and play systems, like the latest ultralight 76mm and SeaRam system proven to work, this is real capability.
Pics galore, videos on YouTube of different ships firing it . . . .
From Sea Wolf to Sea Ceptor – the Royal Navy’s defensive shield | Navy Lookout

Seek & ye shall find.

Nighthawk.NZ

No Sea Sprite has launched a Penguin,
While I will give you that no SeaSprite has fired the Penguin (to my limited knowledge) it has been launched from a SeaHawk therefore is doable and would not be difficult to transfer the knowledge and know how over to the SeaSprite...
agm-119b-1.jpg
Pngnsh60.jpg

no ship has launched a Sea ceptor -unless there a pics to prove me wrong.
Will do one better here is video...

Last edited:

recce.k1

Pics galore, videos on YouTube of different ships firing it . . . .
From Sea Wolf to Sea Ceptor – the Royal Navy’s defensive shield | Navy Lookout

Seek & ye shall find.
Heh I think he is referring to RNZN vessels launching Sea Ceptor? :)

RNZN tends to undertake live missile firing at RIMPAC exercises .... RNZN Frigates launched its former RIM-7 Sea Sparrow missiles at RIMPAC 2012 and 2016.

Now that the Frigate upgrades are completed (or near completed for the second vessel) I would expect the next time an RNZN Frigate is invited back to RIMPAC (and HMNZS Te Kaha is meant to reach FOC in 2022) I'm sure the RNZN will be more than eager to launch their new Sea Ceptor missiles to prove systems are working as intended etc.

As for NZ Seasprites launching Penguin ASM's, according to this Newshub article that was meant to have happened during RIMPAC 2016 when the SH-2G(I) model entered service. (Whether the launch happened or not is not clear - if not, perhaps a technical issue arose or a change in tasking etc).

Certainly this video shows a NZ SH-2G(I) at sea with what appears to be an operational Penguin ASM fitted (1'05" point) ... perhaps we will see a live firing at the next RIMPAC etc.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@smithy-nz

Suggest a bit more research before making statements.... as it took next to no time to prove you wrong. If you are going to propose a new missile for the RNZN when they have only just introduced Seaceptor you need to be able to justify it.

Similarly for the gun and the comments on outdated systems 'that don't work' when both frigates have new radars, a new combat system and have undergone sustainability upgrades over their lives. Your post does little for your credibility, suggest a change in approach is needed.

alexsa

recce.k1

Further to the RIMPAC 2016 mention earlier, found this article in which the NZDF afforded the opportunity to validate Mk46 torpedo launches from the various assets taken to the exercise.

Ships and aircraft of the New Zealand Defence Force joined forces to hunt down an ‘enemy’ submarine and attack it with torpedoes, at RIMPAC last week.

Royal New Zealand Navy frigate HMNZS Te Kaha, her Seasprite helicopter and two P-3K2 Orions from the Royal New Zealand Air Force’s No 5 Squadron each fired a torpedo at the target, a remote-controlled underwater vehicle playing the part of a submarine.

“The range here in Hawaii has the ability to provide almost instantaneous feedback to the crew about how accurate the drop was,” Wing Commander Hunt said.

“This allows us to externally validate our processes and procedures and ensure we have an effective combat capability.

“In New Zealand we do not have a range with this sort of fidelity and the cost of owning one would be prohibitive, which is why attendance at RIMPAC is such a major event for the team.”

In other more recent news, at last it looks like the NZDF could be set to receive newer Mk 54 (Mod 0) LW Torpedoes in due course according to this news announcement on companies awarded (on-going) contracts to produce array kits for the Mk 54 LWT.

Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems has been granted a $23 million fixed-price, cost-plus-fixed-fee, and cost-only contract modification for the manufacturing of MK 54 MOD 0 lightweight torpedo (LWT) array kits, associated production support material, spares, and technical and hardware support services.

Under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program, this contract combines purchases for the US government as well as the governments of the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Spain, and Brazil. The MK54 MOD 0 LWT array kits program is in its third year of providing array nose assembly kits.

Note that there hasn't been a FMS announcement yet on the NZDF formally acquiring the Mk 54 .... but a quick search shows others mentioned in the quote above such as Brazil has done so.

For some additional reading, info on the USN's Mk 54 developments (including sonar array differences).

So we know the Mk 54 is cleared for the P-8A (including different Mk 54 versions), the ANZAC Frigate's Mk 32 surface vessel torpedo tubes ... but what about the SH-2G(I) Seasprite, which is cleared for the Mk46, i.e. how practical would it be to achieve certification to carry and release the Mk 54?

Mentioning this in relation to earlier commentary on the RNZAF thread regarding the acquisition of further Mk 46's for the RNZN.

But if it is an issue, perhaps it will be less of an issue when the SH-2G's are replaced (ideally with the likes of the MH-60R within a few years)! :)