Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Nighthawk.NZ

Aren't the Type 23's being done in Chile's ASMAR shipyards? Which one would hope can help keep things and cost under control... (but to be fair can still turn into cluster f*#k)

To be fair Covid has not helped the situation at all especially when LMC says under staffed...

At lakes

The first paragraph has been reported on this forum on a previous occasion

On the 20th September 2020 Defence Connect advised that Beca had partnered with Vard Marine to advise and support the NZDF in formulating the requirements for the Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel.

Beca partners with Vard Marine to support NZDF Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel project

Now if one looks at one of the last entries on the Vard Marine Web site one finds this

https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/VARD-9-610-Infographic.pdf

A vessel designed for operations in the very rough oceans of the deep south. The infographic shows a FIFI water pistol forward replace that with 25mm pop gun and somewhere to stow a UAV x 2 and does anyone think you have the makings of a reasonable SOPV.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The first paragraph has been reported on this forum on a previous occasion

On the 20th September 2020 Defence Connect advised that Beca had partnered with Vard Marine to advise and support the NZDF in formulating the requirements for the Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel.

Beca partners with Vard Marine to support NZDF Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel project

Now if one looks at one of the last entries on the Vard Marine Web site one finds this

https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/VARD-9-610-Infographic.pdf

A vessel designed for operations in the very rough oceans of the deep south. The infographic shows a FIFI water pistol forward replace that with 25mm pop gun and somewhere to stow a UAV x 2 and does anyone think you have the makings of a reasonable SOPV.
Given the requirements that have been published and the budget, we think that the vessel that they are considering is the VARD 9-203-ICE. Apparently they have been taking a close interest in the new Chilean Antarctic vessel, which is this ship.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does not meet the RFI released in May, though seems to be a solid vessel. The VARD 9 610 only meets PC6 ice-classed construction and there is no hangar for an embarked NH90/MH-60R sized helicopter as well as an RPAS as per requirement.

The SOPV RFI is looking for a Polar Class 5 multirole vessel of up to 115m that can achieve a 12000nm / 60 day endurance with 100 embarked (nominally 60 crew with up to 30 x embarked science / other mission staff as well as 10 helicopter flight crew). Accommodation arranged is to provide 50 x single berth cabins and 25 x double berth cabins. The RFI called for deck space for at least 6 unstacked 20 ft containers, be capable of deploying a 12m 7 tonne landing craft, two 11m RHIB's with provision for two more if required. Also the provision of Norsafe JYN-100 Mk1 lifeboats, plus hangar and flight deck for an embarked NH90/MH-60R sized helicopter as well as an RPAS (Boeing Integrator RQ-21 was indicated in the footnotes) and the ability to deploy AUV / ROV’s. The SOPV must have the performance ability to tow and recover vessels of up 26000 tonnes (The ice capable Aotearoa AOR and the future USCG Polar Security Cutter are around that size) as well "summer icebreaking" ability. The vessel should also have both a hydrographic and sea floor mapping multibeam echosounder, as well as a deck mounted articulated crane and other LARS systems. The budget band is NZD$300-$600m. The vessel can only have a 25mm main gun as that is the allowable limit in the Ross Sea in which it is designed to operate.

At lakes

Given the requirements that have been published and the budget, we think that the vessel that they are considering is the VARD 9-203-ICE. Apparently they have been taking a close interest in the new Chilean Antarctic vessel, which is this ship.

Well i certainly hope it is. But it just seemed a bit weird that Vard made the announcement that they were assisting the NZDF with the design and this appears 5 months later

Nighthawk.NZ

Nice shot of HMNZS Te Kaha... Finally get to see the mushroom farm for CAMM
Found on Reddit but I believe it came from here (although I can not find original image)
Finally found the original image and info here

FANC - Cooperation between a FANC maritime surveillance aircraft and the New Zealand frigate Te Kaha

During this anti-aircraft warfare exercise, aimed at training the frigate in New Zealand anti-missile defense, the Gardian maritime surveillance aircraft acted as aggressors by simulating numerous attacks. Thanks to its speed and maneuverability, it was able to vary its offensive passes, at high or very low altitude, forcing the vessel to maneuver to dodge the fictitious attack. This exercise illustrates the cooperation that exists between the FANC and the New Zealand armed forces and helps maintain a high level of training for both partners.

Within their area of permanent responsibility, the 1,450 soldiers of the armed forces in New Caledonia have the main missions of ensuring the sovereignty of France, leading regional cooperation and maintaining privileged relations with the whole. riparian countries. The FANC regularly commit their resources to aid operations for the populations, in support of other state services.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Couple of nice shoots of HMNZS Aotearoa RAS'ing with HMNZS Te Kaha and HMAS Anzac during Exercise Bersama Gold 21 my guess is at dusk...
A couple of nice pics, really highlights the differences between the the Anzac's ! Aotearoa is really coming along, a very good acquisition and capability for NZ.

Curious does anyone know when she will start heading south ? how often are they intending to do runs down there etc ? Maybe both countries can do a flag waving exercise and Nuyina and Aotearoa can head off together :)

Cheers

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Link not working for me mate :(
Not in Queensland but Bacchante/Wellington was my old ship, I was Ops O under John Brigstocke, later to become Second Sea Lord, Admiral Sir John…..
It was a happy and hard working ship, we won the Londonderry Trophy, best performing ASW ship in the RN!

swerve

Super Moderator
Not generations to come, I hope! I know the Chileans get the most out of their ships, but generations is a bit much!
In Spanish it doesn't say generations. It says it incorporates a new generation of systems which will assure the ships can operate for the next 20 years.