Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Nighthawk.NZ

I see HMNZS Te Kaha is finally in drydock... hopefully to get the coat of paint... and maybe get her CIWS back...

160182827_10221847322105978_7438184373426407811_n.jpg
Photo credit Jason Jost. (posted in a private group on FB so I can't the post link as it would show unless you are member of said group.)

kiwi in exile

March AF News has a short article about a recent 757 flight to washington to exchange 13 decomissioned Mk 46 torpedoes for new ones. Good to see that we are renewing our stocks.

JohnJT

March AF News has a short article about a recent 757 flight to washington to exchange 13 decomissioned Mk 46 torpedoes for new ones. Good to see that we are renewing our stocks.
Are the new ones Mk 46 or Mk 54? If they are Mk 46 I hope they receive Mk 54 upgrade kits in the future. :)

JohnJT

Yes, and in addition I'd like to know what armament if any are our P8 getting, ?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mk 54 was announced as part of the P-8 deal. But that still leaves the frigates and seasprites using the Mk 46. It would be nice to go all Mk 54.

As far as I'm aware the kit/procedure for dropping a torpedo from high altitude hasn't been applied to the Mk 46, so the Mk 54 was probably the only option.

Last edited:

kiwi in exile

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mk 54 was announced as part of the P-8 deal. But that still leaves the frigates and seasprites using the Mk 46. It would be nice to go all Mk 54.

As far as I'm aware the kit/procedure for dropping a torpedo from high altitude hasn't been applied to the Mk 46, so the Mk 54 was probably the only option.
I agree it would be nice to go Mk54 across the board. Havn't seen anything myself about weapons fits for us. Or (tellingly) budgets for weapons for our P8s. Maybe in a few years NZDF will release videos of RNZAF P8s droppng dumb bombs over the Kiapara weapons range. Then people will complain about their warfighting ability.

I would argue that next gen anti ship missile is just as important. NOT penguins or harpoons.

us-navy-plans-to-arm-p-8a-with-cruise-missiles-bombs-sea-mines-and-decoys

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The P8 is only integrated with mk54 (AFAIK for torpedo's). The RAN has the MU90 for the ships, mk54 for the romeos and the RAAF has the Mk54 for the P8's.

The USN is also integrating LRASM with the P8. Already ordered for the RAAF.

BRu-55 doubles the amount of weapons that can be fitted to hard points
The P8 with long range munitions is a very viable platform for strike.
NSM is being pitched for integrating on helicopters.

Nighthawk.NZ

Are the new ones Mk 46 or Mk 54? If they are Mk 46 I hope they receive Mk 54 upgrade kits in the future. :)
Pretty sure the DCP2019 says they will be upgrading the ship launched MK-46 torpedo

DCP 2019 - Page 34 said:
207. In addition to the major investments outlined in this chapter, a variety of other investments will maintain and enhance the maritime capabilities of the New Zealand Defence Force. These include:

207.3 Replacement of the ship-launched torpedo on board the ANZAC frigates;
So it would make sense to upgrade to the Mk-54 all round.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pretty sure the DCP2019 says they will be upgrading the ship launched MK-46 torpedo

So it would make sense to upgrade to the Mk-54 all round.
I would presume that they will acquire the kits to modify the Mk-46 to Mk-54. NZDF can acquire these without Cabinet approval as long as the acquisition cost is below NZ$15 million in total. It will just require the Minister's approval.

kiwi in exile

May allready be widely known/read but NZDF has published its Maritime Doctrine 1st edition 21 Jan 2021 on the NZDF website.
Public Information
havn't read it properly yet.

From the Chief of Navys forward:
With security challenges increasing globally we need to develop the national
resources that we can bring to the task. One of the important opportunities
identified in this publication is developing the resources of our maritime
domain more fully, so that New Zealand can fulfil its potential to become a
recognised maritime power, not just in the South Pacific, but in the wider Asia-
Pacific and Indian Ocean.

"Fulfil its potential"- hopefully heralds increasing capability.
There is a Defence Assessment due May 2021 and hopefully a Defence White Paper in 2022 as per the Brief to the incoming Def Min 2020.
Given the changes in the geopolitics of the Pacific and the rapidly evolving capabilities of potential adversaries this would be very timely.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
May allready be widely known/read but NZDF has published its Maritime Doctrine 1st edition 21 Jan 2021 on the NZDF website.
Public Information
havn't read it properly yet.

From the Chief of Navys forward:
With security challenges increasing globally we need to develop the national
resources that we can bring to the task. One of the important opportunities
identified in this publication is developing the resources of our maritime
domain more fully, so that New Zealand can fulfil its potential to become a
recognised maritime power, not just in the South Pacific, but in the wider Asia-
Pacific and Indian Ocean.

"Fulfil its potential"- hopefully heralds increasing capability.
There is a Defence Assessment due May 2021 and hopefully a Defence White Paper in 2022 as per the Brief to the incoming Def Min 2020.
Given the changes in the geopolitics of the Pacific and the rapidly evolving capabilities of potential adversaries this would be very timely.
Yep, it was discussed on the NZDF thread because I felt that it applies across the whole of NZDF.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Was there any reason given to not complete all work in Canada?
A second mini refit in NZ seems an unnecessary delay in getting her back operational