Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

STURM

As STURM points out, Peninsular Malaysia to East Malaysia transport can be handled cheaper with commercial shipping. If there is a need to surge troops to support ESSCOM in Sabah, they can use their A400M.
If things really get critical; in addition to the 4 A400Ms there are still 14 C-130Hs and 3 CN-335s [another 3 converted into MPAs]. On top of that the services of MAS and AirAsia can be called upon. Over the years troop transfers have been handled by MAS and AirAsia.

LPDs allow them to fulill a wider range of missions, which has been demonstrated
The first Fajar deployment saw the Inderapura [the former USS Spartanburg Country] deployed. The Indera Sakti class ships were also later deployed.

1643275775504.png

1643276548475.png

1643276596244.png

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
LPD+143.jpgLPD-163-e1579781494612.jpg

Just put it again. First image is 143m LPD first offer from PAL, and second one is 160m LPD as second offer by PAL and Bousted.

PAL may want to find partners else where, unless they signed an exclusive with BHIC.
I do still see if the process continue, PAL will still go with Bousted. Unless present PAL management already really different cloth (which I have my doubt). PAL will still try to get most politically connected yards in Malaysia as Partner.

STURM

PT PAL might stick to BNS because they have reached an agreement but whether BNS gets the contract to be the main contractor for the MPSS programme is a different matter altogether. Of course the difference here compared to the LCS programme is that the Makassars will be constructed in Indonesia; BNS being appointed the lead contractor to deliver the ships to the end user and ensure that all contractual obligations have been met.

Whether BNS gets the contract really remains to be seen. In recent years there have been a number of Malaysian companies which long held a monopoly in certain areas; which have now fallen out of favour because of cockups. BNS's advantage is that it's the largest naval yard in the country and is partly government owned but this doesn't mean another yard or company might not get the contract..

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Hyundai Heavy Industries has unveiled the HDL-13000 LPD design at DSA 2022. It is a multi-role support ship which has 160 meters of length overall, 25 meters of beam, and a displacement of 13,000 tons.

The CG rendering shows the vessel fitted with two rocket launchers by LIG Nex1. On the scale model at DSA 2022 these rocket launchers are replaces by secondary artillery / remote weapon systems. On front we can see an Oto Melara 76 mm gun.

The TLDM/RMN "15 to 5 transformation program" involves the acquisition of three MRSS ships. Original plan (unveiled at LIMA 2019) called for the first two ships to be delivered between 2021-2025 and the third one by 2035.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hyundai Heavy Industries has unveiled the HDL-13000 LPD design at DSA 2022. It is a multi-role support ship which has 160 meters of length overall, 25 meters of beam, and a displacement of 13,000 tons.

The CG rendering shows the vessel fitted with two rocket launchers by LIG Nex1. On the scale model at DSA 2022 these rocket launchers are replaces by secondary artillery / remote weapon systems. On front we can see an Oto Melara 76 mm gun.

The TLDM/RMN "15 to 5 transformation program" involves the acquisition of three MRSS ships. Original plan (unveiled at LIMA 2019) called for the first two ships to be delivered between 2021-2025 and the third one by 2035.
It looks like a quite an interesting design. Will be interesting to see what the range is plus how many sea riders it can carry and the crewing requirements.

STURM

They are already ''grossly overbudget and delayed''. Very much so.

Personally I find the decision surprising; like many I expected only two to be completed. What a cockup.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are already ''grossly overbudget and delayed''. Very much so.

Personally I find the decision surprising; like many I expected only two to be completed. What a cockup.
I bet the LCS will eventually cost more than RSN’s 6 Formidable Class frigates.

STURM

I don't don't doubt it - costs have gone way way past the specified budget.

The RMN is of the position that the programme should be continued as a cancellation or a reduction in numbers will have long term detrimental effects. The government has it's own reasons; why even though it's reluctant due to the costs involved; to see it through.

koxinga

IMO, it is was never in RMN's hands. Their needs have always been a secondary priority. Cancelling or limiting the program will have fallout both politically and economically since there are a whole bunch of suppliers big and small behind BHIC. The decision was made with this in mind, as a bailout from the government.

As usual, no one are being held accountable. Depending on what you read, cynics think BHIC may be awarded more work in the future (i.e LMS batch 2, LPD)

STURM

IMO, it is was never in RMN's hands.
It wasn't but it appears to have got what it wanted : the programme to be completed.

It has also gained funding for an initial 3 LMS Batch 1s; is awaiting delivery of 3 AW-139s [amongst other things these will.provide lift to PASKAL] and is getting all the funding it needs for the upkeep of the pair of Scorpenes. I have no idea if the Makassar design is still a frontrunner for the Multi Purpose Supply Ship [MPSS] requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:

koxinga

A poor consolation prize considering RMN's ambitions was a much simpler deesign (Sigma 10514/Thales) and even when it was changed to the Gowind/Senit, it should have been in service now (delivery was due in 2017).

Although they reportedly gained the funding for the Batch II LMS, you have to wonder how much damage is being done to other programs due to this financial blackhole called the LCS.

We will see whether they have learned anything from this fiasco; e.g not awarding the LMS Batch II to BHIC. There are no frontrunner on the MPSS requirement and I see the funding being pushed back. The Makassar design was a private tie-up between BHIC and PT PAL; but insofar as I can tell, there is little interest from RMN. I read that there were some unhappiness in RMN back in 2016, when Boustead jump the gun by announcing that they will be getting the MPSS work during the MOU signing.

Last edited:

STURM

it should have been in service now (delivery was due in 2017
There is no question that failure to receive the ships within budget and on time has had detrimental effects on the RMN but at least now it knows it's getting the ships and can plan accordingly.

We will see whether they have learned anything from this fiasco; e.g not awarding the LMS Batch II to BHIC.
The problem wasn't in awarding the contract to BNS per see but a host of other factors; namely the decision.to build all the ships locally rather than having the lead ship built by DCNS; failure to ensure BNS was in a sound position; etc.

There are no frontrunner on the MPSS requirement and I see the funding being pushed
Apparently there is a favourite on the part of the RMN - we just don't know what it is yet. Ultimately as long as it meets certain requirements; landing spots for 2-3 helos; something of a certain displacement [not too large or too small]; some level of self defence capability; certain design aspects; etc, the RMN will be satisfied.

Last edited:

STURM

The first 2 of 3 AW-139s have been delivered. These will be primarily employed for the light utility role as well as transporting PASKAL teams in the ESSCOM area. Weight and space restrictions with the Super Lynxs and Fennecs have been a limiting factor; which led to a requirement for a Maritime Utility Helo.

1653564318592.png

The head RMN is on the left with his RSN opposite who was on a visit to Sepanggar.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

KD LEKIR F26 took part in a Sinking Exercise (SINKEX) during the sea phase of RIMPAC 2022 on 12 July 2022. The ship, among other units, struck a decommissioned frigate with an Exocet MM40 Block 2 anti-ship missile. For this SINKEX, the target was the former USS Rodney M. Davis, a Oliver Hazard Perry (OHP) class frigate.

The event marked the first time a RMN ship conducted a missile firing outside of Malaysian waters.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) has laid out an MYR214 million (USD48 million) plan to equip two of its Kedah (MEKO 100 RMN)-class corvettes with Naval Strike Missile (NSM) launchers.

The RMN operates six Kedah-class corvettes that were commissioned between June 2006 and December 2010 and at this moment each vessel is only armed with a OTO Melara 76 mm naval gun in the primary position, a 30 mm cannon in the aft section, and two 12.7 mm machine guns. So adding the NSM will significantly increase the firepower on board these quite new corvettes.

STURM

There had been speculation that a number of RMN ships - either the Kedahs or the soon to be ordered LMS Batch 2s - would be fitted with NSMs originally intended for the much delayed LCSs. The NSMs are believed to have already been delivered.

A major challenge would be to integrate NSM to COSYS [the CMS] and the availability of free deck space which is limited. As part of the original plan the class was to have been equipped with a single RAM launcher in the B position and 2 or 4 MM-40s amidships for self defence. Some years ago Jane's reported that the RMN was looking at converting a pair for ASW and another pair for ASuW.

All 6 of the class are homeported at Sepanggar in East Malaysia and are primarily employed to safeguard the EEZ against foreign intrusions.

koxinga

The PAC (Parliament Account Committee) of the Malaysian parliament released their report on the LCS program today.

Here is an article which summarised the key points of the press conference and the report. No major surprises to those who are keeping an eye on the program. The key question is, what's next?

We know the program is going to restart, they made the announcement earlier this year well before the report was released. They are going to charge a few people. But I think that is about it. MYR 6 billion dollars or USD 1.4 billion spent and not a single boat delivered.

- The contract for the LCS was awarded by the government to BNS via direct negotiations. While the government has paid a total of RM6.083 billion for the project, not a single LCS ship was completed. According to the original schedule, as of August, five LCS ships should be completed and delivered;

- Feedback from RMN as the end user was completely ignored by Mindef and BNS during the implementation of the project. Originally, the Sigma design of the ship, which was the choice of RMN, was agreed upon by Mindef. However, the decision to change to the Gowind design occurred on July 11, 2011 following BNS’ proposal on July 8 the same year. According to Abdul Aziz, the former RMN chief, the decision was “something gravely wrong”;

- The due diligence done by the government against the BNS failed to detect the financial problems of the company. This is proven when the government had to make an advance payment of up to RM1.36 billion to BNS, contrary to the Treasury Circular No. 5 of 2007, which was in force at that time;

- The financial position of the BNS company is weak and critical due to wrongdoing, abuse of power and flaws in financial management. As of 2018, BNS’ debt to OEM is as much as RM801 million, while BNS loans with financial institutions amount to RM956 million; and

- Equipment kept in storage for the LCS project is estimated to be valued at RM1.7 billion, with an estimated 15% of the equipment already obsolete.

Sandhi Yudha

Thank you for sharing.
So if the program is going to restart, does it mean the construction of the first four frigates are on hold again?

From the beginning i compared the Malaysian Gowind Class frigates program with the Indonesian SIGMA 10514 program. Six fully armed frigates almost completely built by Boustead in Malaysia against two FFBNW frigates to be assembled by PAL with only the majority of the modules built in Indonesia.

But now the planning is that the first of class, Maharaja Lela 2501, will be delivered to the TLDM in 2025 at the earliest. 14 years after signing of the contract.

Last edited: