Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

Well that should help in the interim, if I remember right both ships will be used at diffrent times and I read elsewhere they will not be on the same agreement such as the RAN which paid all expences for her oz cruise, something to do with being NATO partners
You are absolutely correct, as the article mentions, it is the principle of solidarity that applies here, so it is all NATO´s business.

Belesarius

The up to "2" Cyclone requirement was on a DND slideshow I've read; 32-48 VLS is based of other analysts predictions that have been made over the years. Most have also pegged the size around 6000 t.

Here's the short list of who's in the running. Looks like there will be two main subcontractors selected from this process; one for warship design and one for system integration.

We won't know anything about a concrete design until a contract is awarded in 2017 but if you look at the list of companies selected possible designs could be based off one of the following:

Alion - KDX-II
BAE - Type 26
DCNS - FREMM
Fincantieri - FREMM
Navantia - F-100
Odense - Iver Huitfeldt / Absalon
ThyssenKrupp - F124 / MEKO 600
Thanks for the information. Ugh. This shit is taking way too damned long. I mean, I wrote to the government about this more than 5 years ago and was told the process was underway. I mean, I'd guess most members of this board could probably come up with a half decent list of requirements in short order.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I mean, I'd guess most members of this board could probably come up with a half decent list of requirements in short order.
Yes, formulated the requirements, written and published the RFI, assessed the responses, formulated the final pretender requirements, written and published the RFT, assessed the responses, decided the successful tenderer, written and finalised the construction contract, provided oversight and management of the construction for the govt, and finally submitted to the govt an invoice for our services plus reasonable costs. :D :D :D

The first ship would be in service by now.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Your Avator looks like a naval ensign of the proposed new New Zealand flag.
It is, but I had to change the colour of the fern from white to silver. This is just my idea of a possible RNZN Ensign. Apparently that is incorrect in vexillology, flag design and study, because silver is not used being replaced by white. I am lead to believe that on flags silver appears as white, or similar to it. Means I'll have to redo the artwork at some stage.

t68

It is, but I had to change the colour of the fern from white to silver. This is just my idea of a possible RNZN Ensign. Apparently that is incorrect in vexillology, flag design and study, because silver is not used being replaced by white. I am lead to believe that on flags silver appears as white, or similar to it. Means I'll have to redo the artwork at some stage.
sorry to go off topic

I have no dog in this fight, but I take it your in favor of changing the flag?
do you mind me asking of your reasoning, just curious that's all

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I am old enough to remember the Canadian ensign which was replaced by the Pearson rag, a waste of time and money IMO. On the positive side, it was accomplished much more quickly than defence procurement.

Oberon

John, my Canadian uncle served in the Canadian Army in ww2. I remember him saying that they mostly just used the Union Jack. He too was against the flag change in '65.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
sorry to go off topic

I have no dog in this fight, but I take it your in favor of changing the flag?
do you mind me asking of your reasoning, just curious that's all
:eek:fftopic
The new flag shows NZ as it is now and not as a colonial nation. Personally being Maori and Irish Catholic, I find the Union Jack not nice, because of the history between the British and my peoples. That did not stop me serving in the RNZAF and RNZN, but given the chance to remove the pommy flag from our national flag is one, but not the only, reason why I want the change. We are an independent nation now and whilst we still have some ties to the UK, we are no longer a cling on. They dumped us in 1972 when they joined the EEC and that forced us to look elsewhere. We are a Pacific (and arguably an Asian) nation not a UK add on, so it's time to reflect that in our flag.

We had five designs to choose from in the first referendum and the winning one was my first pick. The second referendum is in March 2016 and that is the one that decides the outcome between the current flag and the winning design. It is quite a topical campaign and much discussion and some mud slinging is going on in social media. Unlike the Canadian flag change, at least we get a say. This does not mean that moves are afoot for us to become a republic. I actually don't support that because although my forebears have had large issues with the poms, the poms have bought some good ideas and institutions to our shores. I do like form of government, it being a democratic constitutional monarchy and it is something that I particularly would like to keep. It sure beats internecine tribal warfare and cannibalism.

Mods: I've tried to keep any politics out of this.

Last edited:

KiwiRob

Also off topic, luckily for NZ ngati's point of view is in the minority, which is odd since he's ex service, the RSA are one of the main opponents of changing flag.

But we are in agreement over the form of Govt, IMO if it ain't broke no need to fix it, plus I like the idea of having a politically impartial Head of State who in effect is free, she only costs us when she visits and her representative the Gov Gen is cheap as chips.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Also off topic, luckily for NZ ngati's point of view is in the minority, especially amongst Maori and ex service personnel, who along with most of NZ want to retain the current flag.
Would you care to elaborate please? Because I move in both Maori and ex service circles, plus the difference between those who oppose the change and support is closing.
But we are in agreement over the form of Govt, IMO if it ain't broke no need to fix it, plus I like the idea of having a politically impartial Head of State who in effect is free, she only costs us when she visits and her representative the Gov Gen is cheap as chips.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Also off topic, luckily for NZ ngati's point of view is in the minority, especially amongst Maori and ex service personnel, who along with most of NZ want to retain the current flag.

Absolutely right on, an occasional visit by the Queen and a GG are way less overhead than another pompous pollie.

KiwiRob

Would you care to elaborate please? Because I move in both Maori and ex service circles, plus the difference between those who oppose the change and support is closing.
No it's not, the gap is getting larger, I know a fair number of EX sevices people and a current large vessel Captain in the RNZN, on social media they are the most vocal opponents of change.

You can look for articles in stuff and the Herald re Maori and changing the flag, most are against it.

Maori Church leaders back current national flag with rousing haha

Treaty bid to halt flag change

Māori Battalion vets against the changing of the flag

Fight for our Flag

a few amoungst many

and the latest opinion poll results

Most voters want to keep current flag

Two thirds of people want to keep the current flag according to a poll taken just before the first flag referendum voting papers arrived in letterboxes across the country.

Two-thirds against changing flag, poll shows

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
:eek:fftopic

Mod intervention here - this is something you need to pick up in some other thread - while as a whinging pom myself, I'm actually fascinated by it, it's not Canadian defence stuff.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well it does speak of far to much bureaucracy and that probably explains Canada's procurement problems. There are to many ministers and assistant ministers, plus ministries, departments and bureaucrats involved. From a Kiwi point of view they need to cull out the bureaucracy and run it similar to how a large business would run. I know our procurement system has had its share of stuff ups, however they have rationalised it now by all accounts and cut back on the bureaucracy involved. Looking at the amount of bureaucratic involvement alluded to in the article, I wonder how much of a project's funding is spent just on the bureaucracy. Hence I think the idea of just one office and one supreme manager is a good one. I would take it one step further and make that manager answerable only to the Ministers of Defence, Finance and the PM or what ever your National Defence Committee is called. That cuts out all the hangers on who think that they have a say in the ship project.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well it does speak of far to much bureaucracy and that probably explains Canada's procurement problems. There are to many ministers and assistant ministers, plus ministries, departments and bureaucrats involved. From a Kiwi point of view they need to cull out the bureaucracy and run it similar to how a large business would run. I know our procurement system has had its share of stuff ups, however they have rationalised it now by all accounts and cut back on the bureaucracy involved. Looking at the amount of bureaucratic involvement alluded to in the article, I wonder how much of a project's funding is spent just on the bureaucracy. Hence I think the idea of just one office and one supreme manager is a good one. I would take it one step further and make that manager answerable only to the Ministers of Defence, Finance and the PM or what ever your National Defence Committee is called. That cuts out all the hangers on who think that they have a say in the ship project.
Bureaucracy in Canada is like cancer, really hard to control let alone reduce. It is horrible at the federal level, just as bad in municipal governments, and even worse with provincial governments here. When the decision to committ $6.5 billion towards F-35s was made, our dollar was at parity with the USD now it is below 70 cents. The same applies to the CSC program where most of the expensive kit required is priced in USD. Factor in our idiot kumbayah PM and you can easily understand why the defence outlook here is pretty grim.:(