Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

Git_Kraken

Well they've gone through with great pains to update every single antenna, the mast, EO/IR sensor, ECM, added an LCO compartment to the flight deck, added the 127 LW instead of the BAE version and even changed around the navigation radars.

So I'm thinking they didn't forget the 8VLS. That's the easiest putt on that whole model.

MapleForce

True, but after multiple sources confirmed 32 VLS many months ago, LMC never bothered changing their digital models to depict that even though other digital and physical models did. So one has to wonder if they simply didn't care enough to make the changes on their digital models or if they somehow knew all along that the final design would be 24 cells.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
True, but after multiple sources confirmed 32 VLS many months ago, LMC never bothered changing their digital models to depict that even though other digital and physical models did. So one has to wonder if they simply didn't care enough to make the changes on their digital models or if they somehow knew all along that the final design would be 24 cells.
I guess the case could made they couldn’t be bothered with another model or possibly there are other changes that haven’t been finalized and a new model will eventually be shown. Sure hope 32 is the end result, even if the missile load outs aren’t fully ordered. My biggest concern is a 3-6 CSC fleet with a follow on order for a Type 31 or even less capable alternative, a possibility with a subsequent Liberal-NDP coalition after junior.

MapleForce

I want to say that a CSC and Type 31 fleet mix seems very unlikely given that the whole point of the CSC program was to avoid the complexities and costs of a 2-class surface combatant fleet, but such idiocy has prevailed in the past, so I suppose I wouldn't be all that surprised if they went that route. I'm trying my best to remain optimistic, though!

I'm not convinced the LMC digital models depict what the actual number of Mk 41 VLS will be. I've noticed their digital models have mostly only shown 24 VLS from the start, prior to the confirmation of 32 VLS in the government infographic. So hopefully, that means they just haven't bothered updating the number of cells in the models. 24 VLS would be quite disappointing, though. I'm really hoping that's not the case.
You're right you shouldn't rely on graphics although in this case it is indeed 24 VLS to save on weight.

evil.totoro

I am no naval engineer, but I am pretty sure removing VLS cells which are heavier and are closer to the ships centre of gravity would be bad thing if the new mass is heavier.

edited to turn off bold text

Last edited:
So you have a source for the weight issue?
Not officially of course, but I work in Ottawa and know all matter of things about the CSC project. So lets call it an informed opinion. People need to realize that the "official" info picture of the capabilities of the CSC that most are basing their knowledge of the CSC was very early in the design phase where they didn't know how the ship was being armed, things change. The SPY 7 is one heavy piece of kit and cutting the 32 VLS to 24 saves a substantial amount of weight. I also noticed that people are calling it flight one, two etc. There is no plan to build them in flights with different weapon loadouts.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not officially of course, but I work in Ottawa and know all matter of things about the CSC project. So lets call it an informed opinion. People need to realize that the "official" info picture of the capabilities of the CSC that most are basing their knowledge of the CSC was very early in the design phase where they didn't know how the ship was being armed, things change. The SPY 7 is one heavy piece of kit and cutting the 32 VLS to 24 saves a substantial amount of weight. I also noticed that people are calling it flight one, two etc. There is no plan to build them in flights with different weapon loadouts.
The 15 ship build will take over 30 years to complete assuming a drumbeat of 2 years. Given the rapid pace of technological military kit, new capability may have to be adapted to later build CSCs. For instance, new hypersonic missiles may require a new VLS option. Therefore different flights may happen out of necessity.

The 15 ship build will take over 30 years to complete assuming a drumbeat of 2 years. Given the rapid pace of technological military kit, new capability may have to be adapted to later build CSCs. For instance, new hypersonic missiles may require a new VLS option. Therefore different flights may happen out of necessity.
The first 6 ships are expected to take 18 months each, with 12 months ea for the rest. Obviously the first one is going to take the longest with a delivery date currently of 2031. Changing some equipment is not really a different flight. We have CPF's with 2 different steering systems because companies went out of business. Yes it is a projected build of 15 ships but I'll let you in on a little secret.....nobody knows exactly how many given the costs.

Delta204

Incredibly frustrating to hear this... so we'll end up with a ship close to the same size and cost as a Burke but with 1/3rd the armament. Shouldn't be surprised; but I would be curious if they lengthened the hull and put in a 2nd GT - don't we like to say that steel is cheap around here?

Incredibly frustrating to hear this... so we'll end up with a ship close to the same size and cost as a Burke but with 1/3rd the armament. Shouldn't be surprised; but I would be curious if they lengthened the hull and put in a 2nd GT - don't we like to say that steel is cheap around here?
You just can't lengthen a hull. There's all kinds of things that play into changing the ships characteristics. Perhaps they'll leave room for another MK 41 module who knows. Its going to be several years before all the design work is finished, perhaps it will go back to 32 vice 24 as that was the original intent.

Delta204

You just can't lengthen a hull. There's all kinds of things that play into changing the ships characteristics. Perhaps they'll leave room for another MK 41 module who knows. Its going to be several years before all the design work is finished, perhaps it will go back to 32 vice 24 as that was the original intent.
I understand it isn't that simple, but we are 10 years out from the first ship hitting the water and we have already run out of margin. I'm sure the RAN is having similar problems with the Hunter design so perhaps they would be interested in helping to fund a lengthened hull?

It's ridiculous to choose such a top flight radar but then cut the VLS. What CONOPS are they planning for? Missile saturation attacks will be guaranteed in any peer conflict for the foreseeable future.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The first 6 ships are expected to take 18 months each, with 12 months ea for the rest. Obviously the first one is going to take the longest with a delivery date currently of 2031. Changing some equipment is not really a different flight. We have CPF's with 2 different steering systems because companies went out of business. Yes it is a projected build of 15 ships but I'll let you in on a little secret.....nobody knows exactly how many given the costs.
I don’t think the secret is so little. Given our massive debts (provincial and federal) along with new debt from COVID, 15 CSC ships is very optimistic at best, especially if 88 F-35s, 5 new tankers, and new MPA are still on the table. Let’s not forget new subs. If the CSC number is cut, I hope this doesn’t mean substitution with a minimal frigate. Better to invest in submarines sooner.

As for an eventual build rate of 12 months, very optimistic IMHO.

MapleForce

I'm kind of surprised that fitting 32 VLS in such a large ship is so challenging given that other similar sized frigates manage 32 or 40 cells. The de zeven manages to have 40 cells with a shorter hull and far lighter displacement. Why is 32 cells for the Type 26 such a challenge?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There have, apparently, already been a number of changes designed into the RAN version which will make it a bigger ship than the the RN one. Those should be readily transferable to Canada if required.

Git_Kraken

It's ridiculous to choose such a top-flight radar but then cut the VLS. What CONOPS are they planning for? Missile saturation attacks will be guaranteed in any peer conflict for the foreseeable future.
Actually, it's the other way around. It's ridiculous to have a massive load of missiles without a top-flight radar. Based on the detect-to-engage sequence and most likely combat scenarios I'm confident a potential loadout of 96 ESSM and 24 CAMM are going to defend the ship just fine. How many missiles are you expecting in a saturation attack against a Canadian Task Group anyways? Pick a number and do the math backwards (pg 129) and find out how many missiles you need. It's not as many as you think.

It is far more likely that a ship is hit by a missile it didn't detect, didn't identify in time, or couldn't track than it is for a ship to be overwhelmed by 20+ enemy missiles.

I'm kind of surprised that fitting 32 VLS in such a large ship is so challenging given that other similar sized frigates manage 32 or 40 cells. The de zeven manages to have 40 cells with a shorter hull and far lighter displacement. Why is 32 cells for the Type 26 such a challenge?
De Zeven is a specialized AAW frigate designed from the ground up to carry more missiles. Type 26 is a specialized ASW frigate, which is trying to be modified to make it a GP frigate. There are lots of things the Type 26 can do that the De Zeven is unable to do because of the design differences.

Delta204

Actually, it's the other way around. It's ridiculous to have a massive load of missiles without a top-flight radar. Based on the detect-to-engage sequence and most likely combat scenarios I'm confident a potential loadout of 96 ESSM and 24 CAMM are going to defend the ship just fine. How many missiles are you expecting in a saturation attack against a Canadian Task Group anyways? Pick a number and do the math backwards (pg 129) and find out how many missiles you need. It's not as many as you think.

It is far more likely that a ship is hit by a missile it didn't detect, didn't identify in time, or couldn't track than it is for a ship to be overwhelmed by 20+ enemy missiles.

De Zeven is a specialized AAW frigate designed from the ground up to carry more missiles. Type 26 is a specialized ASW frigate, which is trying to be modified to make it a GP frigate. There are lots of things the Type 26 can do that the De Zeven is unable to do because of the design differences.
I will concede your point on the radar to a degree, although I still have my doubts. Doing the math is probably difficult going on open source info but this relatively recent document discusses salvo size of over 500+ ASMs (per salvo) in a China scenario. Taking_Back_the_Seas_WEB.pdf (csbaonline.org) (pg. 15). No doubt most of these would be designated for our USN counterparts during an outbreak of war, but with over 4,500 missile capable of striking maritime targets deep into the Pacific I think my point still stands.

Outside some of the Euro designs, modern surface combatants with similar spec'd radar have much larger magazine capacity - especially when you look at allied countries in the Pacific. CSC is no doubt a unique design, a specialized ASW hull with a AWD radar and I appreciate the difficulties there must be in combining the capabilities. My concern is that there has been a fair bit of chatter in the last few years about the CSC being too heavy and too slow. I mostly dismissed this as lobbyists and competitors trying to undermine the program but now worry that it might be true.