Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

Redlands18

Please, don't remind us! Only effective military use AFAIK was for shore bombardment in 1982. One put out of action an Argentinean radar which was being a nuisance. And yes, that was what it was aimed at. Others may have destoyed or damaged some helicopters on the ground.
The RAN certainly were not interested in Sea Slug in 1960, even going as far as looking at fitting Tartar to new build County's.

Git_Kraken

But in the days of single or twin launchers loaded from a below deck magazine, how practical was it to reload the magazine at sea?
As @Pusser01 pointed out it was tried by a number of navies. It is heavily dependant on sea state, winds and risk assumption. For the RCN you are almost never going to have sea states even remotely close to being able to do something like that safely. They tried it with the 280s and discarded it relatively quickly.

Even lining up a canister to fit into a VLS on a windy day is a PITA. Doing it while both the supplying and receiving ships are moving? Not something I would want to ask my team to do outside of an emergency.

swerve

Super Moderator
I wonder if CAMM can be reloaded at sea? Perhaps some of the RN members would know?

One possible workaround on the VLS issue for CSC and perhaps other designs would be pivoting away from ESSM, replacing it with CAMM or the extended range version of it that just became available. The reason for this would be to use lighter weight launchers for CAMM such as mushroom farm or ExLS and save the MK 41's for the larger SM-2/6's. Quad packed ESSM's don't need nearly the full size of a strike length MK 41 cell.

The CSC design already has a 6 cell ExLS launcher above the mission bay. But if the forward 8 cell MK 41 (as seen on previous CSC designs) is replaced with 6 cell (or more - it comes in 3-packs) ExLS launcher I would imagine that would save considerable weight? I know a strike length MK 41 weighs over 30,000 lbs, but I'm not sure what the ExLS comes in at - probably a fair bit less.
If you're happy with a dedicated CAMM launcher, then you should be able to save a useful amount of weight & complexity. There's no need for efflux control. The cold launch eject thing weighs something, but it seems to take up less space & be simpler than the efflux control stuff (though don't take my word for it).

ExLS looks like a replacement for the old self-defence Mk 41, with a version that sits inside a Mk 41 cell & can hold 4 CAMM, & the three cell (12 CAMM) standalone version. The stand-alone model should be lighter per cell than a Mk 41, if only because it's not as tall as the smallest one.

Rudeboy

For those reasons the whole concept was abandoned some time in the nineties from memory and the cranes, which IIRC took up the space of four tubes, were removed and the tubes restored.
The strike down cranes were fitted in some of the first VL capable Ticonderoga Class, but when they ceased to use them, or attempt to use them, they were removed.....but the VL tubes were never added in their place. The location of the crane was merely plated over. Consequently those Tico's only had 122 silos and not 128 silos (which everyone thinks they have). Personally I think they might be a 'little' more appropriate now, not for underway replenishment of mk.41...that was never a good idea (it was hard enough with Sea Dart with its built in replenishment mode with the twin arm launcher) but instead for enabling replenishment of VL's in more distributed anchorages or ports with very limited facilities, particularly in the Pacific.

As for CAMM(M) with the appropriate cranage (or other lifting solution) onboard it would be dramatically easier to actually replenish a cell. The missile is far smaller, and with 4 guys could even be manhandled into position where a simple lifting arrangement could get it vertical, fine positioning for lowering would also be a whole lot easier with a <400lb canister. As far as I am aware no-one is planning to do this however.

The USN only replenishes RAM (from the SeaRAM and Mk.49) and ESSM from the Mk.29 launchers on CVN and the Wasp/America Class at sea these days.

Git_Kraken

A US interest piece on the AOPS. Pretty basic stuff but it does provide new public information on how the HDW did on their counter drug operations in the Carib, the fact they carry three TEU's of disaster relief supplied as SOP on arctic missions and that a single tank of gas got them all the way through the NWP.

And of course the fact they were looking for submarines with the new TRAPS.

Canada’s ice-breaking warship in Norfolk after trip through the Arctic

At lakes

I doubt whether the RAN would have the crewing for several 2nd hand Japanese subs plus the Collins subs as well, but then I thought that the RCN might. Considering that the current RCN subs are getting a wee bit worn out. Then I thought no that would mean "Junior" to quote @John Fedup would have to spend money on defense.

Meriv90

Sorry if it looks strange but I want to address this on this forum.
I was reading Navy.ca forum and found this article
It has good points.

I want to talk about these two.

Some of Europe's most powerful countries
have already proven themselves unable to resist the
lure of lucrative Chinese investments or have adopted
morally questionable practices towards refugees.
This is literally a joke.
1641591251554.png

Considering smaller Canadian economy, and that this is the legal FDI not all the money that truly ends up in Canada.
Lets just compare the price of housing in Canada with Italian one to see where truly Chinese influence is?
(Italy has one of the few not in bubble real estate markets, don't know why but we don't attract the chinese buyers)
The migrant remarks is even worse.
Easy to say when Canada is one of the most remote countries in the world. Meanwhile we are at the center of the world receiving influxes by literally both Asia and Africa.
This is the kind of "refugees" we are receiving, people that throws non coreligionaries to the sea thinking they are Jonah and the Whale...

Again I'm sorry for the strange post. But attack us on the FREMM, on the ship crew size (the article got it wrong), on the supposed not transparency of the offer without talking about Irving. Or the amount of VLS etc... etc....

But using political topics, putting our allegiance at doubt, or talking of refugees from the safety of Canadian geography, is just bad taste.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Although this is a Canadian Coast Guard (part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada) foul up, similar stuff happens throughout DND also. Hard to believe other systems weren’t evaluated before spending $10 million. Clearly a gamble was considered ok as to speeding up the procurement of a new vessel.

Although this is a Canadian Coast Guard (part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada) foul up, similar stuff happens throughout DND also. Hard to believe other systems weren’t evaluated before spending $10 million. Clearly a gamble was considered ok as to speeding up the procurement of a new vessel.

The way I understand it the stbd propulsion motor ended up having a dead ground on it that could not be corrected. To repair the motor would have it pulled and repaired. A propulsion motor could go at anytime, just bad luck. If the ship was younger and had more than 2 years life left it probably would had been repaired.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Typical idiot media article that shows Canadian media is even worse than Australian media. Our media should be sued by Australian media for plagiarism. Nice assumption that our CSC design changes produce exactly the same problems Hunters (supposedly) have. What a bunch of mutts.

STURM

John,

Still early days but what is your personal opinion on replacements for the Upholders? Who do you would be in a position to fulfill the requirement; the French, Germans or Swedes?

Also to the best of your knowledge was the RCN actually enthusiastic about procuring the Upholders or was it purely a political decision?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
John,

Still early days but what is your personal opinion on replacements for the Upholders? Who do you would be in a position to fulfill the requirement; the French, Germans or Swedes?

Also to the best of your knowledge was the RCN actually enthusiastic about procuring the Upholders or was it purely a political decision?
WRT the Upholders, purely political. Chrétien didn’t want to fund new boats leaving the RCN with the choice of used boats (they likely knew condition would be questionable) or lose submarine capability probably for all time.

Replacement has been vaguely promised in the distant future but the financial mess junior has created and continues to make worse puts into question almost all government programs and especially defence. A safe bet would be the vendor offering the best price with capability a minor concern. Unfortunately a safer bet is no replacement at all.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
WRT the Upholders, purely political. Chrétien didn’t want to fund new boats leaving the RCN with the choice of used boats (they likely knew condition would be questionable) or lose submarine capability probably for all time.

Replacement has been vaguely promised in the distant future but the financial mess junior has created and continues to make worse puts into question almost all government programs and especially defence. A safe bet would be the vendor offering the best price with capability a minor concern. Unfortunately a safer bet is no replacement at all.
Well I am sure that the French would do you a good deal on their Diesel Electric variant of the Barracuda SSN. Attack Class wasn't it?

swerve

Super Moderator
The Upholders had been in storage for years, which probably didn't help. Canada paid for some work to be done before taking delivery (a contract between Canada & the builders) so there shouldn't have been any complaints to the RN about the condition post-delivery: complaints should have been addressed to VSEL.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The Upholders had been in storage for years, which probably didn't help. Canada paid for some work to be done before taking delivery (a contract between Canada & the builders) so there shouldn't have been any complaints to the RN about the condition post-delivery: complaints should have been addressed to VSEL.
WRT storage, IIRC storage conditions were relaxed somewhat as an order was expected. Needless to say, between Chrétien’s reluctance to buy and our defence procurement inadequacy a quick sale wasn’t very quick.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I wonder if the P-8 will still be in production by the time junior’s gang can make a decision. Doubt any future Liberal or Conservative government will do much better.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I wonder if the P-8 will still be in production by the time junior’s gang can make a decision. Doubt any future Liberal or Conservative government will do much better.
My understanding is the USN placed its last order last year for 11 aircraft (9 x USN, 2 x RAAF).

So it’s comes down to finishing that production lot and the remaining foreign orders on the books, Norway, South Korea, NZ and Germany.

The UK order is complete, India has its 12 P-8I (apparently they want another six, don’t know if they have been ordered or not?).

Appears to me Boing is shouting “last drinks, last orders”, sort of like when the C-17 line started to shut down, potential customers were well aware production was coming to an end.

Canada? Well what can you say?

If there is no further USN orders, then time is definitely running out, and as usual long lead item production usually starts to shutdown 1-2 years before last aircraft is delivered.

Canada, it’s time to pull the finger out!