Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Periscope that does not break the surface.
The RAN have announced that they will be acquiring a periscope that does not break the oceans surface.
Can someone advise how this is possible?
If the matter is subject to embargo then advise on this aspect is also sought.
Do you have a source for this announcement ?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The RAN have announced that they will be acquiring a periscope that does not break the oceans surface.

Can someone advise how this is possible?
Periscopes are useful and do not always have to go through the surface. However, not really sure what is being meant here.
Certainly possible to have coms without a mast that penetrating the surface or the surface very far. That would seem to be the likely implication.
The photonics mast generally doesn't have to poke out of the water as much, and typically is far less detectable than a traditional mast/periscope.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Submarines. Your questions answered

A good discussion..
It’s a reasonable if somewhat shallow discussion however, I do take issue with one of the retired Admiral’s suggestions re forward basing from a depot ship in Exmouth.
This offers no advantage whatsoever. It exacerbates the personnel retention problem for both the sub and the ship, it offers only a small advantage for the transit/deployment/endurance issue as Exmouth Gulf is only 600 nm from Perth, just over 2xdays passage at 12kts and it helps and enemy’s surveillance task.
The other issue is that Exmouth Gulf is an unsuitable body of water for a relatively deep draft submarine, its shallow and is open the the most appalling swell during the wet season. Further it sits right in the middle of what locals call “cyclone alley” with no safe cyclone anchorages within easy reach.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That Choules in the background, the shot shows how large she is too. I see the tower / silo for maintaining Mk13 launchers there too, I wonder if it has or will be repurposed.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not much room for the tugs

She just eclipse's HMS Anson the King George V-class battleships as being the largest to enter the graving dock to my knowledge
I would say the tug in the basin has just slipped her line and is waiting to back out of there. Tugs generally do not enter graving docks to bring a ship in. It is not necessary and the addition width required to operate tugs (and avoid being belted or trapped) would be a waste. Once the vessel is positioned off the dock, which appears to be the case in the image, lines are passed to warp the vessel in. Tugs are likely to control the stern and one is attached aft in tis image.

This dock has been used for the TT line vessels and other commercial operations. The TT line vessel are a tad shorter than the LHD but other large commercial ships have been docked there as evidence by this image showing a Holland America line cruise ship in dock.

This looks like t he Nieuw Amsterdam or a sister. The are 285M with a beam of 34m.

At over 347m long and 45m wide this is a very large Graving dock.

Flexson

That Choules in the background, the shot shows how large she is too. I see the tower / silo for maintaining Mk13 launchers there too, I wonder if it has or will be repurposed.
It currently has the Mk41's from Sydney and Darwin sitting in it. Not sure about its future or that of the Mk41's. I'm guessing the Mk41s will probably be used on the Hunters. It would be nice to see them on the LHD's but I feel that is unlikely at best.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It currently has the Mk41's from Sydney and Darwin sitting in it. Not sure about its future or that of the Mk41's. I'm guessing the Mk41s will probably be used on the Hunters. It would be nice to see them on the LHD's but I feel that is unlikely at best.
The Mk-41s from the FFGs are the short ones aren't they? Are they the same mod/config as for the Anzacs?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They were for ESSM, and are certainly tactical length, so presumably they would be interchangeable. Installing them on the LHDs might be quite a good idea if there is space and weight available, although you would need to wait for the active missile if you didn't want to have to install illuminators as well. Mk41s need an installation jig to make sure they are installed accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.