Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never under stood the thought process behind the navy need blue camouflage???
Navy is seen more as grey.. Its a bit wacky, but makes a lot sense if you think about oil and grease stains. In that sense, its a lot more practical than white, which also is impossible to keep clean or blue and not ideal either.

Its airforce that have the blue camo. Full street fighter movie style. It must be effective, because I rarely see them wearing it. Plus sometimes they wear it with the green boots, which is just all kinds of wrong IMO. Blue and green and no colour in between and all that.

I see the LHD are going to under go a colour change..
Canberra’s appearance will also change in colour from the current Shipside Grey to the new Haze Grey. Paintwork will also include above and below the waterline preservation, along with flight-deck and weather-deck maintenance.

The Haze grey is the newish developed colour formulation.

Last edited:

t68

Navy is seen more as grey.. Its a bit wacky, but makes a lot sense if you think about oil and grease stains. In that sense, its a lot more practical than white, which also is impossible to keep clean or blue and not ideal either.

Its airforce that have the blue camo. Full street fighter movie style. It must be effective, because I rarely see them wearing it. Plus sometimes they wear it with the green boots, which is just all kinds of wrong IMO. Blue and green and no colour in between and all that.

Canberra’s appearance will also change in colour from the current Shipside Grey to the new Haze Grey. Paintwork will also include above and below the waterline preservation, along with flight-deck and weather-deck maintenance.

Thought she was going in for minor basic maintenance, but good grief its the five year docking, where has the time gone o_O

Just feel like a yesterday, she entered service

How long roughly would she be in the dock for?

Redlands18

Thought she was going in for minor basic maintenance, but good grief its the five year docking, where has the time gone o_O

Wonder if the Phalanx will be fitted, originally supposed to happen last year.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member

Its certainly been a busy time, 5 years has been but a blink. I guess we can drop "the new LHDs" from our vernacular.

I don't think there is any information in the public space, I certainly couldn't find any in the announcements. Given its the first time, and is likely to under go several significant upgrades as well, and that she has seen a lot of time at sea, I wouldn't be surprised if its 12+ months. They will really want to pull things apart and measure wear on basically everything and get her back to as new condition. Also as part of the integration of various platforms and systems several improvements are expected to be implemented as well.

As the next 5 years are likely to be very busy indeed.

Wonder if the Phalanx will be fitted, originally supposed to happen last year.
I believe so, although there doesn't seem to be a confirmation in the announcement. It would seem the most logical time to do it.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Will be about 4-5 months all up in CCD, so she won't be back in the water until probably around Jan/Feb 21. Given how busy the CCD is you can't tie it up too long with just 1 ship.
Shows that we need other comparable facilities. Rather than the current BS of each state trying to get all the work done currently by other states on smaller ships, maybe they should be looking to their infrastructure to be able to offer to work on the increasing numbers of big ships.

I.e. instead of WA trying for subs, frigates and opvs why not aim for certain availabilities for the now five fat ships? Let the OPVs be done in Darwin and Cairns. Diversify and increase our sustainment capability instead of cutting it and needing to send work off shore.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No Rugby Jokes tonight, our Kiwi Cousins won’t have much of a sense of humour tonight
Some went into mourning, but others including myself, thought that the Pumas thoroughly deserved the win. They were the much better team by far. The All Blacks coach isn't a popular chappy at the moment and many, myself included, believe that he isn't the right person for the job. However on the night the players were crap and need a good arse kicking. They wrought shame on the jersey and the game. So well done Los Pumas.

Antipode

Coincidentally, Spanish Armada's JC1 LHD went under maintenance last Monday.

Works to improve the propulsion system, revision of stabilization fins, other inspections and a full repaint should be finished by December 27

Salud

swerve

Super Moderator
Some went into mourning, but others including myself, thought that the Pumas thoroughly deserved the win. They were the much better team by far. The All Blacks coach isn't a popular chappy at the moment and many, myself included, believe that he isn't the right person for the job. However on the night the players were crap and need a good arse kicking. They wrought shame on the jersey and the game. So well done Los Pumas.
Reminds me of when Japan beat South Africa in the World Cup. Some reporter asked a South African (I forget who - captain, manager?) how it had happened, & he said "They played better. They deserved to win", or words to that effect. No excuses, no weasel words. I liked it.

DouglasLees

Reminds me of when Japan beat South Africa in the World Cup. Some reporter asked a South African (I forget who - captain, manager?) how it had happened, & he said "They played better. They deserved to win", or words to that effect. No excuses, no weasel words. I liked it.
Back in 2015, which seems a different era now. I like the South African’s attitude: it shows real character.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Meanwhile, in the working Navy....
"JDS Omani in formation on the left of INS Shakti with HMAS Ballarat on the right while conducting a Replenishment at Sea in the Indian Ocean during Exercise MALABAR 2020." (Source : ADF Image Library - link)
20201104ran8565840_0907.jpg

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Meanwhile, in the working Navy....
"JDS Omani in formation on the left of INS Shakti with HMAS Ballarat on the right while conducting a Replenishment at Sea in the Indian Ocean during Exercise MALABAR 2020." (Source : ADF Image Library - link)
View attachment 47806
Fairly significant move geopolitically.

India has been hesitant to invite the ADF to Malabar for some time.

Glad that's finally changed.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not only that, being in the Indian ocean, India is a significant playmate for Australia in the Indian ocean. There has been some historical friction there, that seems to have washed away.

Indians seemed super interested in ASW capability. I see Ballarat has her Romeo on board.
Indian migs crossdecking on US carriers. F-18 and hawkeye on indian carriers. Interops between all on ASW with helicopters, ships and P8's.. Some interesting stuff.

I wonder as part of the quad, if Australia may make an investment in some sort of significant ASW ship.

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not only that, being in the Indian ocean, India is a significant playmate for Australia in the Indian ocean. There has been some historical friction there, that seems to have washed away.

Indians seemed super interested in ASW capability. I see Ballarat has her Romeo on board.
Indian migs crossdecking on US carriers. F-18 and hawkeye on indian carriers. Interops between all on ASW with helicopters, ships and P8's.. Some interesting stuff.

I wonder as part of the quad, if Australia may make an investment in some sort of significant ASW ship.
Hunter is a pretty significant ASW platform, unless you're talking TASW assets.

At least sure as hell a big step up from the ANZACs kit.

Takao

The Bunker Group

Storm Grey remains the proper grey for RAN units *sniff*.

And it can be grabbed at Bunnings, making touch ups easier no matter where the vessel is!

Status
Not open for further replies.