Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They were for ESSM, and are certainly tactical length, so presumably they would be interchangeable. Installing them on the LHDs might be quite a good idea if there is space and weight available, although you would need to wait for the active missile if you didn't want to have to install illuminators as well. Mk41s need an installation jig to make sure they are installed accurately.
What about refurbishing the ASMD masts from the ANZACs? The combat system is comparable, but don't know about weight and stability. May need additional consoles.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What about refurbishing the ASMD masts from the ANZACs? The combat system is comparable, but don't know about weight and stability. May need additional consoles.
Surely just installing a new CIWS for the LHDs such as SEARAM would be less complicated and cheaper?
The amount of work required to install and integrate ESSM II/CEAMOUNT and hardware makes that option uneconomical IMHO.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Surely just installing a new CIWS for the LHDs such as SEARAM would be less complicated and cheaper?
The amount of work required to install and integrate ESSM II/CEAMOUNT and hardware makes that option uneconomical IMHO.
Just extrapolating from Spoz's post. The LHDs have a compatable combat system (same core system as the ANZAC, OPV and I believe interface as the Hunters). The ANZACs are getting new masts meaning the old ones are available, and as Soon said there are two 8 cell VLS in FBE.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just extrapolating from Spoz's post. The LHDs have a compatable combat system (same core system as the ANZAC, OPV and I believe interface as the Hunters). The ANZACs are getting new masts meaning the old ones are available, and as Soon said there are two 8 cell VLS in FBE.
All the old ASMD masts so far removed have been scrapped.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Too bad, they could have been a good fit, then again there are other ANZACs. With three Hobart's and nine Hunters to come, probably not a priority, however if there were ever the need it probably wouldn't be that hard.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC the space and weight for the VLS as installed on the island of the JC1 was well and truly taken with the Australian specific design changes on the island internals and layout ? Hate to be a party pooper but.....

Cheers

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Since when did we start wearing sword belts on top of W1 coats? And white shoes and no gaiters as guard commander? That just looks weird!

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Since when did we start wearing sword belts on top of W1 coats? And white shoes and no gaiters as guard commander? That just looks weird!
They all look like crap, their kit must have been been stowed under a mattress, where’s the GI?

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
How about just accepting the fact they're in the middle of the Indian Ocean and on an operational warship, and if the skipper was happy with their turn out then that should be good enough? Be wary of slipping into "back in my day" mode, different times, different Navy. Just because they're not in full ceremonial spick and span turn out doesn't mean they're not disciplined and able to do their ship borne jobs. #chillpill

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
How about just accepting the fact they're in the middle of the Indian Ocean and on an operational warship, and if the skipper was happy with their turn out then that should be good enough? Be wary of slipping into "back in my day" mode, different times, different Navy. Just because they're not in full ceremonial spick and span turn out doesn't mean they're not disciplined and able to do their ship borne jobs. #chillpill
I didn’t comment on their discipline or their professional competence, I commented on their rig.
“Back in my day” there were plenty examples of crap turnout and I do understand their current deployment.
Obviously all the irons in the ship are u/s.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I didn’t comment on their discipline or their professional competence, I commented on their rig.
“Back in my day” there were plenty examples of crap turnout and I do understand their current deployment.
Obviously all the irons in the ship are u/s.
Wasn't it shorts, thongs / sandals, and no shirt on the bridge of an Attack Class PB back in the day? In fact wasn't it you who told us this? ;) sorry for the stir Chris, it's my autistic memory to blame.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Those disturbed by crinkly rigs may wish to avert their eyes ;) "Commanding Officer HMAS Adelaide, Captain Jonathon Ley, RAN lays a wreath on behalf of his ship’s company during a Remembrance Day ceremony held on the flight deck." (Image source ADF Image Library - link)
20201111ran8555536_0144.jpg

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mental picture painted becomes even funnier if one is not from Australia, and therefore thongs become an entirely different thing that is worn...
The ceremonial thong was strictly for line crossing ceremonies.
I like the photos of ships at sea. Like Sydney's commissioning. I like the quirks, the wind, the action of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.