Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Going Boeing

F-35 deliveries are also a problem, did we want any to turn up before 2030?
My understanding is that the “options” for 28 more F-35’s have production slots pencilled in. If they aren’t converted to firm orders by a cutoff date, those slots can be rolled to a later date with the original slots offered to others.

Last edited:

Reptilia

Always found it odd that the Lockheed website states 100 f35s for aus. No doubt they keep the hornets and growlers for awhile yet in this environment.

Redlands18

Not sure what the correction is, if anybody has a copy of the original, or is it a correction to the earlier announcement ?

This is the earlier one, so not sure if they are related ?

Cheers
The correction is, they dropped the AGM-88E2 from the description. The AARGM-ER does not seem to have an AGM-88 designation.

seaspear

Aardvark144

This article provides some details on the Super Hornet Block 111 upgrade including a suggestion of conformal tanks providing extra range and better computer networking even increased stealth
Get Your First Look At The Navy's Block III F/A-18 Super Hornet Test Jet (thedrive.com)
What's actually different about the Block III Super Hornet? - Sandboxx
Enhancing the capabilities of Australia’s Super Hornets with Block III upgrades - Defence Connect
I am not so sure about the conformal fuel tanks though -

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The article suggests it has something to do with the carrier operations not something the R.A.A.F has to consider the option still remains
Part of the article also says "to pause the development of the CFT Engineering Change Proposal, citing struggles with cost, schedule and performance"

Suggesting they have not been fully developed with engineering still to be done, along with performance issues. We will not go it alone and pay for the remainder of the development to be the only user, that is why we back off the USN development, if they don't we won't spend the money for what would then be a niche nice to have.
Defence has much better things to spend the money on !

Cheers

Buying more F-35 and replacing the SHornet is removing some capability at a time the govt is trying to increase combat power. I think the SHornet will be around for a while.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I am not so sure about the conformal fuel tanks though -
Yes, I recall an article sometime ago that tests confirmed the CFTs placed excessive stress on the Super Hornet for carrier operations. Don't recall any information wrt to land only operations. Without USN orders, the small user base of land SH operators would make CFTs cost prohibitive.

If the CoA does elect to purchase up to an additional 28 F35s and they were to retain the Super Hornets and Growlers longer than may have otherwise been planned (and in addition to 100 F35s), what are the most logical basing considerations for the additional F35s? Others on this forum have mentioned over recent years that Pearce may be an option. But would there be more limitations in absorbing any additional F35s into existing squadrons or limitations on the bases they are at now?

The increased national importance to shipbuilding in WA has now and into the future, particularly assets like the proposed graving dock at Henderson and Fleet Base West more generally probably requires Air Force basing considerations in WA to be brought back into sharper focus. Especially as there will be nuclear powered assets based (possibly including US) there in the future.
This is putting aside the importance of the resources sector particular in North-Western Australia, not only to us but also some of our key allies in the region.

Pearce is a lot closer to at least one of the bare bases (Learmonth) than Tindal or Darwin which may enable faster deployment of fighters if required.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I recall an article sometime ago that tests confirmed the CFTs placed excessive stress on the Super Hornet for carrier operations. Don't recall any information wrt to land only operations. Without USN orders, the small user base of land SH operators would make CFTs cost prohibitive.
The USN also has a refuelling drone.. they don't want funding divered away from.

The US also typically doesn't operate with conformal fuel tanks.. Those F-15EX... get them removed!

AFAIK all the development was done, they are ready to go. It was only at the purchasing stage they decided they didn't need them.
I don't think the Superhornets are going anywhere. I wouldn't even rule out additionals at this point in time. Things are fluid. Remembering the last Growler ordered was in late 2021 to replace the one that crashed.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if the f-35 will have same or different capabilities to the Super Hornet Growler in this regard time may tell
The MC55A might also be able to do some of the work as well.
I will be interested in where the US EC37 program goes as well.
And I wonder if the P8 could mount the pods from the EA-18... Or drones..

Im not sure about EW just being on one platform, and I am less sure about one 5th gen fighter platform, being the everything EW platform. I see the F-35 EW capability about making its stealthiness relevant going forward, not as a massive jammer A2/D2 for land, air and sea, there are better platforms for that. Neither the US nor the USN seem to think the F-35 will make their other EW capabilities redundant, in fact more of the opposite. That article seems to confirm that specifically mentioning the EC37 and the E7 regarding those capabilities.

Lolcake

It might be fair to suggest that with the expenditure of the AUKUS program there would not be any large amounts left for a B-21 like purchase or need
Highly unlikely as you say with cost being a factor. Although as mentioned before infrastructure us being set up for a US bomber force.

NGAD should have significantly more range than an F-35. In some respects it should be the perfect f-111 replacement. A tactical bomber role was sorely missed as a deterrence force when it was retired. Hoping these will be looked at as the super hornet replacement and will be allowed for aquisition under AUKUS.