Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see Japan buying E-7. Its AEW 767s are newer than any E-3s, & the airframes should have more useful life left, but have the same radar, so should be equally affected by radar obsolescence.
Airframe age is a very reasonable argument for new planes, its unarguable. But the japanese 767 really are not going to be useful in a conflict in their region. E3 development is basically grinding to a halt, and all efforts are moving to the E7. Japan will have to wait. The E767's are probably still workable in a more secondary role, further away from the action, Japan has a long front, so if US E7 are based in Japan, the 767 are still mildly useful for more low risk and low intensity areas.
*Apparently the G550 is no longer being built for commercial users, & I'm not sure if it's still possible to order a new G550 AEW - but I've seen it suggested that IAI/ELTA is offering a G650 AEW, & conversions of used G550s can be done.
There are plenty of near new <100 flight hours G550. Private jets are often bough more as status symbols than high mileage taxis. The G650 isn't widely different and offers benefit of range, volume, etc, these are problems that can easily be solved with money.
** SAAB has been reported to be offering a Global 6500-based Globaleye, without the Seaspray 7500E radar, but with nose & tail radars to fill the coverage gaps of the standard Erieye system.
These are good platforms, but they are really in a different category to the E7. They can do basic detection and tracking, and even basic command and control. Single plane incursions etc are not an issue.

Trying to run at battlespace in a peer conflict with dozens of 5th gen platforms on both sides, hundreds of drones and stealth munitions in the air while countering enemy MESA equipped airborne platforms conducting their own EW capabilities on you, while space war is fought above bringing sats down... Its not the right platform.

Germany acquired Global 6500 for its pegasus program for Sigint and peacetime surveillance.. Its more like the MC-55a..

south

Trying to run at battlespace in a peer conflict with dozens of 5th gen platforms on both sides, hundreds of drones and stealth munitions in the air while countering enemy MESA equipped airborne platforms conducting their own EW capabilities on you, while space war is fought above bringing sats down... It’s not the right platform.
When you say “conducting their own EW capabilities on you”, what exactly do you mean?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you say “conducting their own EW capabilities on you”, what exactly do you mean?
The enemy having EW capabilities including platforms like II-20M, II22PP, Y9GX-11/GX12,GX-15, J-15D, J-16D, KJ3000 etc and they are using those capabilities on you as part of a wider hot conflict. But there are also naval, space and ground based platforms that can conduct EW.

China has significant capabilities and uses this strongly in grey zone wolf warrior diplomacy actions. While firing live munitions is not generally occurring, chaff, flares, sonar, EW, etc are mainstays. Smaller countries typically have very weak capabilities in this space and much of even military communications and sensors aren't particularly resistant, as smaller countries like the Philippines typically have much older and much closer to civilian levels of equipment and sensors.

Pretty sure even Chinese coast guard have extensive EW capabilities. Blocking communications and GPS are typical, making it difficult to get orders, or confirm locations.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
"No. 2 Squadron personnel operates an aircraft de-icing machine to remove ice and snow from an E-7A Wedgetail before flight during Operation Kudu in Germany in November 2023." Image Source : ADF Image Library
20231127adf8658961_0708.jpg
"A Royal Australian Air Force KC-30A Multi-Role Tanker Transport from No 33 Squadron (left) conducts air-to-air refuelling trials with a United States Air Force Boeing RC-135." Image Source : ADF Image Library
20231002raaf8667582_0001.jpg

d-ron84

Great news just released, never in doubt of happening but something definitely needed.

I do love the difference in reporting styles, "Ghost Bat Development" Vs "Aaargh, Killer Drones!"

Nudge

Great news just released, never in doubt of happening but something definitely needed.

I do love the difference in reporting styles, "Ghost Bat Development" Vs "Aaargh, Killer Drones!"

The 8am news on the radio (yes, I am old in my habits) just made me laugh; Quote: "Killer drones. ... have the ability to observe the enemy and record data." The latter comment could equally describe a cadet with binoculars, a notepad and a pencil.

MARKMILES77

The $399 Million for Ghost Bat has got most of the headlines but the fact that an armed drone will be in service with the ADF shortly is just as interesting.

From the press conference at which the extra Ghost Bat funding was announced:

JOURNALIST:
Can you say where the ‑ this is obviously very impressive technology, but what about the cheaper disposable drones that we see having such a devastating effect in the Ukraine?

MINISTER CONROY: Okay. I'll just see, are there any other questions specifically about the Ghost Bat before I go to other questions of the day?

JOURNALIST: I have a question provided the Chief of the Air Force remains?

MINISTER CONROY: No, well, I'm actually ‑ if that's the end of the Ghost Bat questions I might ask everyone to move on.‑‑

JOURNALIST: I'd like to ask about excellence and [indistinct], and that would require the Chief of the Air Force.

MINISTER CONROY: Oh, well, thank you.

Andrew, your question about other systems, the truth is that we've been trialling and testing a range of drones that have the potential to be armed with possible delivery across all three epochs of the Defence Strategic Review. We trialled and demonstrated armed drones last year and separately we are introducing into service an armed drone this year.
I won't go into details of the nature of that armed drone for security reasons, but I want to assure everyone in this country that we are spending lots of time working on drones with the potential to be armed.

Lofty_DBF

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The $399 Million for Ghost Bat has got most of the headlines but the fact that an armed drone will be in service with the ADF shortly is just as interesting.

From the press conference at which the extra Ghost Bat funding was announced:

Great progress on Ghost bat.
Very interesting times, looking forward to the announcement of what armed drone we will be operating this year.

hauritz

Great progress on Ghost bat.
Very interesting times, looking forward to the announcement of what armed drone we will be operating this year.
I got the impression that the armed drone he was talking about was an armed dirivitive of the Ghostbat or perhaps an entirely new design. Seems to me that Australia has gone all in on developing domestic drones and I can't see them stepping back from that now.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I got the impression that the armed drone he was talking about was an armed dirivitive of the Ghostbat or perhaps an entirely new design. Seems to me that Australia has gone all in on developing domestic drones and I can't see them stepping back from that now.
So did I. The 399 Mil will buy us 3 more ghostbats.

CJR

"... I won't go into details of the nature of that armed drone for security reasons..."
That'd seem to me to imply it's not just a reheated MQ-9 order. So, question is armed Ghostbat or has BAe's STRIX moved faster than expected?

Reptilia

Whatever it is ‘in service this year’ Conroy said.
Something small most likely. The VBAT with payload?

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Whatever it is ‘in service this year’ Conroy said.
Something small most likely. The VBAT with payload?

Or, perhaps…

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any update on air6502 phase 2? Havent heard any news on this for a while.
“Options” are being developed.

Gate 2 approval is scheduled for 4th quarter this year from memory.

There was a whisper or two a while ago the selection would be sole-sourced to Raytheon / Kongsberg to provide eNASAMS fire units equipped with the new AMRAAM-ER missile, to provide for an expanded capability over what Army is seeking to do with it’s current eNASAMS setup, yet retain overall commonality and training benefits.

Not sure whether that rumour has any legs or not. If a sole-source contract is being pursued, it certainly isn’t being pursued with any obvious signs of haste…

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
“Options” are being developed.

Gate 2 approval is scheduled for 4th quarter this year from memory.

There was a whisper or two a while ago the selection would be sole-sourced to Raytheon / Kongsberg to provide eNASAMS fire units equipped with the new AMRAAM-ER missile, to provide for an expanded capability over what Army is seeking to do with it’s current eNASAMS setup, yet retain overall commonality and training benefits.

Not sure whether that rumour has any legs or not. If a sole-source contract is being pursued, it certainly isn’t being pursued with any obvious signs of haste…
Unfortunately it seems that a number of the acquisition contracts are not being pursued with haste, with there being an apparent mismatch between rhetoric about what the security situation is and likely will be vs. steps being taken to actually attempt to meet said threats.

The new and significant acquisition that I most recall is for the RGM-109E Tomahawks with some 220 to be acquired. However it now looks as though the Hobart-class DDG's might be the only launch platform in ADF service until ~2034 or later. In that regards, it leaves me with the impression that a number of the changes proposed or in the process of being implemented for Defence is more to make it look like improvements are being made, rather than actually having steps taken to improve Defence.

KrustyKoala

Unfortunately it seems that a number of the acquisition contracts are not being pursued with haste, with there being an apparent mismatch between rhetoric about what the security situation is and likely will be vs. steps being taken to actually attempt to meet said threats.
If it seems that way that might be because it is that way

One of the most substantive sore points between Mr Marles and the department has been officials persisting with funding demands for new manned platforms such as tanks, defying the recommendations of the defence strategic review, which called for a more nimble, maritime-focused army.

Defence officials, meanwhile, feel hamstrung by the need to make deep funding cuts to pay for new priorities such as AUKUS nuclear-powered submarines because the government is not increasing the Defence budget substantially until 2027.

The Government's Expenditure Review Committee, has put the squeeze on everyone and everything to get the budget in order. Which to be fair to the Government they seem on track to do