Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

swerve

Super Moderator
Germany buying P8's and Germany buying F-35 are really significant moves. I wouldn't say Germany buying E7 is a done deal or even an open project, but Australian E7 operating out of US bases in Germany is significant. Germany is looking at what it needs for the future, and Germany may want its own sovereign E7 capability. For all its talk about being self reliant, being reliant on a non-NATO member, flying out of a US airbase in Germany completely undermines German self reliance. If Germany wants to base something in former east Germany, it has to own it.
What non-NATO member? What US airbase?

E-7 is a US-designed & built aircraft (Boeing/Northrop Grumman), & Geilenkirchen has never been a US base. It was RAF until it was handed over to the Luftwaffe in 1968. It then housed German missile units until it became the NATO AWACS base in 1982.

Being built to an Australian requirement doesn't make E-7 Australian.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
What non-NATO member?
Australia. Australia is not a full or participating treaty member of NATO.

What US airbase?
Ramstein. The Australian E7 is based and flown out of Ramstein. Ramstein is a USAF base.

Ramstein Air Base or Ramstein AB (IATA: RMS, ICAO: ETAR) is a United States Air Force base in Rhineland-Palatinate, a state in southwestern Germany.

Perhaps some of the confusion around this is Turkey had earlier flown their E7 out of Geilenkichen and that yes, NATO E3s are flown out of there. But that is not where the Australian E7 is currently operating out of, nor where Australian personnel are based in supporting it.

While Australia is NATO friendly, and contributes to NATO and NATO missions perhaps more than many NATO members, it is often easier to operate directly out of US bases than out of NATO bases. Also the US is disbanding its E3's and has excessive E3 crews, and is acquiring E7's, so having everyone on a US airbase makes sense. NATO's E7 acquisition is a much later thing, and NATO hasn't disbanded any of its E3's.

E-7 is a US-designed & built aircraft (Boeing/Northrop Grumman), & Geilenkirchen has never been a US base. It was RAF until it was handed over to the Luftwaffe in 1968. It then housed German missile units until it became the NATO AWACS base in 1982.
Everything you have said in those two sentences is true. But the Australian E7 is based out of Ramstein, not Geilenkirchen.
Being built to an Australian requirement doesn't make E-7 Australian.
Being owned by Australia would make it Australian owned, and its nationality and identity Australian. It has Australian markings I never said it was completely developed and built in Australia and that Australia owned all the IP and development/production capability for this aircraft, the E7 or the 737 its based on. The 737 is quite famously, made in the USA.
The Boeing 737 is a narrow-body aircraft produced by Boeing at its Everett and Renton factories in Washington.

Maranoa

True, but the MC-55 also has some role, obviously very classified, in a strike package as the go between/interpreter between the F-35A MADL and the 4.5th gen Link 16. This has been explored in the better ADF focused media. The above was disclosed by the minister of defence during her Canberra speech in 2017(?).

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, but the MC-55 also has some role, obviously very classified, in a strike package as the go between/interpreter between the F-35A MADL and the 4.5th gen Link 16. This has been explored in the better ADF focused media. The above was disclosed by the minister of defence during her Canberra speech in 2017(?).
The MC-55 is very complimentary and is part of providing over all capability. It is much more of a dedicated listening platform, and for many reasons it often makes sense to have your listening platform not always the same as your battle management platform/AEW platform, although there is some overlap.

Definitely part of that identify, analyze, monitor and respond chain. You are fighting systems with systems, not just platform v platform.

I suspect one reason why Australia isn't looking at more E7's is that MC-55a capability will be very complimentary and allow RAAF to make better use of its existing E7 fleet while adding over all capability and getting the most value for money and people.

I am surprised how different MC-55 and Ec-37B projects are heading. But US and Australia has different needs and wants.

We have a lot of development on radars on planes and ships. CEC and other technologies can now build complete battlespace images from managing signals received from multiple platforms, that normally would not provide a detected bogey and usable tactical data from just a single platform sensors. On a platform like the F-35, these other enablers make it even more stealthy, as they can degrade all sensors around their flight path, free them from any emissions, do all the situational awareness and handle threats further away. On existing platforms like the EA-18 it makes them more effective, again, they can degrade sensors and systems around their flight path, allow them to focus on their primary mission, and deliver packages in conjunction or in compliment. It is cooperative engagement, in all spectrums.

5th/6th gen doesn't dissolve the need for such aircraft. There role has expanded, and even with modern AI and computers, people still need to be in the loop, all that computing power requires management and tactics.

swerve

Super Moderator
Australia. Australia is not a full or participating treaty member of NATO.

Ramstein. The Australian E7 is based and flown out of Ramstein. Ramstein is a USAF base.

Perhaps some of the confusion around this is Turkey had earlier flown their E7 out of Geilenkichen and that yes, NATO E3s are flown out of there. But that is not where the Australian E7 is currently operating out of, nor where Australian personnel are based in supporting it.

While Australia is NATO friendly, and contributes to NATO and NATO missions perhaps more than many NATO members, it is often easier to operate directly out of US bases than out of NATO bases. Also the US is disbanding its E3's and has excessive E3 crews, and is acquiring E7's, so having everyone on a US airbase makes sense. NATO's E7 acquisition is a much later thing, and NATO hasn't disbanded any of its E3's.

Everything you have said in those two sentences is true. But the Australian E7 is based out of Ramstein, not Geilenkirchen.

Being owned by Australia would make it Australian owned, and its nationality and identity Australian. It has Australian markings I never said it was completely developed and built in Australia and that Australia owned all the IP and development/production capability for this aircraft, the E7 or the 737 its based on. The 737 is quite famously, made in the USA.
Since when has Germany been dependent on one Australian E-7 operating in support of Ukraine (& mostly flying over Poland, AFAIK) as part of a mainly NATO operation? At the last count, NATO members & Sweden (in the process of joining) were operating 28 land-based AEW aircraft in Europe, plus 4 in Turkey. 16 of those 28 were based in Germany, 14 of them at Geilenkirchen. You speak as if the single Australian aircraft is the only one that counts, & it's operating to cover Germany - which it isn't.

I was puzzled because that seemed far too small a thing for you to imagine that it could be described as Germany "being reliant on a non-NATO member, flying out of a US airbase in Germany", & that it "completely undermines German self reliance". It didn't occur to me that anyone would think that. I thought you must be referring to the NATO AWACS fleet, & had got the wrong end of the stick about that.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since when has Germany been dependent on one Australian E-7 operating in support of Ukraine
The Australian E7 is supporting NATO (of which Germany is a member). Turkey has also been flying its E7 in support of NATO, Turkey is a NATO member.

At the last count, NATO members & Sweden (in the process of joining) were operating 28 land-based AEW aircraft in Europe, plus 4 in Turkey. 16 of those 28 were based in Germany, 14 of them at Geilenkirchen.
All units have the same capabilities? I thought we had discussed this, the difference between the E7 and the E3. I didn't know the E3 which is being directly replaced by the E7 in the US, UK and NATO, has the exact same capabilities and has no issues regarding avalibility. I also didn't know Erieye or El/w-2085 has the exact same capabilities, its weird that NATO went with E7's instead of Erieye or ELw2085.

Again it is well documented that the E3 has a very low availability and reliability rate. In many cases 50% or lower. No the E7 isn't operating alone.

You speak as if the single Australian aircraft is the only one that counts, & it's operating to cover Germany - which it isn't.
I would say its making a very valuable, outsized, contribution. In many cases it is the only aircraft with some capabilities.

But it goes beyond that. Not just to the security of NATO, Ukraine fight, but to US training pipelines. Clearly it is having an impact, E7 sales are very hot right now. Its not about covering Germany directly, I don't think many people are worried at this point about Russian airstrikes and Russian forces operating in Germany.

Getting back to RAAF relevant activity.. You can track the actual Australian E7 flights yourself if you wish. Measure its inflight contributions to the second.

Or monitor the NATO E3 flights or non flights out of NATO Geilenkirchen

But there may be a reason for that.

I was puzzled because that seemed far too small a thing for you to imagine that it could be described as Germany "being reliant on a non-NATO member, flying out of a US airbase in Germany", & that it "completely undermines German self reliance". It didn't occur to me that anyone would think that. I thought you must be referring to the NATO AWACS fleet, & had got the wrong end of the stick about that.
Australia has a complex relationship with the EU, with NATO, with Germany. Germany has a complex relationship with the US and its other NATO partners. Certainly my comments and opinions are not definitive.

NATO always assume the US has infinite power and resources. NATO is very much US led. NATO states, particularly Germany, are really having a look at what they need directly. Hence Germany buying F-35's and P8s.

swerve

Super Moderator
Completely missing the point. From what you wrote (please go back & re-read it), the presence of a single Australian E-7 operating out of (but not over) Germany, looking at Russian logistics in Belarus, Ukraine & western Russia from the airspace of Poland & the Baltic states is transformative for German defence, & demonstrates that German self reliance is a myth.

Regardless of the relative performance of the E-7 & E-3, that's nonsense. The whole German self-reliance angle is ridiculous. Germany has generally strongly focused on participation in joint NATO capabilities, e.g. its in-flight refuelling capability is now provided by the NATO MMR fleet (which AFAIK has no US involvement). 14 NATO (not US) E-3s are currently operating out of a NATO (not US) airbase in Germany.

Swedish Erieyes have been operating in the same area as that E-7, as have assorted NATO & Swedish SIGINT aircraft, & Italian G550 AEW aircraft over Romania & as you say, Turkish E-7s, AFAIK over the Black Sea. NATO E-3s are operating in all those areas, all cooperating. Additional aircraft are welome, but however good, they're not revolutionary. And they're not specifically relevant to Germany, as you first said the one & only Australian E-7 in Europe is. They're part of a collective effort for a joint purpose.

You seem to be muddled, or at least, not expressing yourself well. Are you trying to say that Germany should be, or is thinking of becoming, more self-reliant in defence? That's a reasonable thing to discuss, but it's not what you've said. I suggest you go back, re-read what you wrote, & think about what you really mean.

BTW, Germany bought P-8s to replace P-3, not wanting to keep P-3 in service until the manned component of the Franco-German MAWS is ready. It's still interested in the unmanned & cloud parts of MAWS, & the 3 extra P-8 appear to be a response to an increased perception of threats. It's nothing to do with the level of US help. The P-3s were bought secondhand as an interim replacement for Atlantique pending the arrival of MAWS, but that's receded into the future & the French have modernised & extended the lives of their Atlantiques. They offered four to Germany, but the Germans thought they wouldn't fill the gap, so bought ex-Dutch P-3C. It's all to do with the complications of Franco-German cooperation.

BTW, straw men don't help your case. I never suggested that all AEW aircraft are equal.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Completely missing the point. From what you wrote (please go back & re-read it), the presence of a single Australian E-7 operating out of (but not over) Germany, looking at Russian logistics in Belarus, Ukraine & western Russia from the airspace of Poland & the Baltic states is transformative for German defence, & demonstrates that German self reliance is a myth.
Not quite a myth. I think I am referring to it being quite symbolic. But as you can see from those tracking E3 flights, those many E3's don't seem to be getting a lot of flight hours. Some would say effectively none, some may say they are performing their mission from the ground. I agree, no, one Australian E7 isn't single handedly solving everyone's issues, but I feel like it is making a significant contribution. I am sure they would like Turkeys E7 flying more from Eastern Europe, but that doesn't help Turkeys priorities and Turkey has its own lists of demands and operates from its own airspace and prioritizes Turkeys interests (which include grain shipments, sea control issues, etc). Turkey may want to block Sweden from NATO, Germany may want Sweden in NATO.

You seem to be muddled, or at least, not expressing yourself well. Are you trying to say that Germany should be, or is thinking of becoming, more self-reliant in defence? That's a reasonable thing to discuss, but it's not what you've said. I suggest you go back, re-read what you wrote, & think about what you really mean.
Perhaps I am being obtuse. It feels to me like the Americans may want NATO states to acquire E7 capabilities. Maybe I am wrong on that front, maybe they want them to operate the E3 until 2035 or other smaller aircraft or in Germanys case, no aircraft/capability. It also feels to me that Germany has some sort of interest in being more self reliant, or western European powers being more self reliant in key capabilities. Again, perhaps I am wrong on that front, and perhaps managing battlespaces is not a capability Germany is interested in.

Perhaps my feelings are wrong. Europe & geopolitics is complicated.
It's all to do with the complications of Franco-German cooperation.
I feel like there is quite a divide going on and that the German military is quite frustrated with these Franco-German cooperation initiative that tend to have weak or hollow capabilities on the ground or in the air. I think the F-35 and the P8 acquisitions are tangible examples of that, and frustrations of NH90 and Tiger are also noted. The German political elite also seem to be doing some more listening from within, from the military. It feels like they want capabilities they can use immediately around them. An E7 operating from a US base from within Germany would seem to fit that kind of capability. Now with commitment to P8s and F-35's, and Uk/US/NATO acquisition of E7, it may be that they will see that as a useful capability to add to a modern fighting force. Now that the E7 capabilities are more than just a battlefield traffic control are known, and how it operates in and around conflicts, it may help them understand that this may be some thing that was excuse the pun, not on the radar earlier.

I am not trying to build straw men. I am only trying to communicate my points. I am not intending to put words in anyone's mouth, so sorry. I guess I am trying to clarify points we both agree on.

It just seems like their is this belief that GlobalEyre or E3 can do exactly the same missions and capabilities as a modern E7. Which is not the case. I know this is a difficult field to talk about publically, as much of the capabilities are not public. Yeh, they can do the air traffic stuff, particularly in peacetime when your talking about aircraft with beacons and large radar returns, but that clearly isn't the only role the E7 are doing and why the US/UK is urgently acquiring them. Why they have no interest in smaller competitors that can do some parts of the mission and have a much smaller sensor/transmitter and less manpower and processing and less development.

I think the Germans are very interested in the RAAF and its capabilities. I expect them to take further interest specifically in Australian capabilities in 2024. Australia can provide a good example of a well funded, independent capable air force, that is affordable and effective.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
Germany's a participant in the NATO AEW fleet. It could add AEW capability by paying to buy more E-7s for it. that'd fit what it's doing elsewhere, e.g. it's already by far the biggest contributor to (& expected biggest user of) the NATO AAR fleet.

Redlands18

Not quite a myth. I think I am referring to it being quite symbolic. But as you can see from those tracking E3 flights, those many E3's don't seem to be getting a lot of flight hours. Some would say effectively none, some may say they are performing their mission from the ground. I agree, no, one Australian E7 isn't single handedly solving everyone's issues, but I feel like it is making a significant contribution. I am sure they would like Turkeys E7 flying more from Eastern Europe, but that doesn't help Turkeys priorities and Turkey has its own lists of demands and operates from its own airspace and prioritizes Turkeys interests (which include grain shipments, sea control issues, etc). Turkey may want to block Sweden from NATO, Germany may want Sweden in NATO.

Perhaps I am being obtuse. It feels to me like the Americans may want NATO states to acquire E7 capabilities. Maybe I am wrong on that front, maybe they want them to operate the E3 until 2035 or other smaller aircraft or in Germanys case, no aircraft/capability. It also feels to me that Germany has some sort of interest in being more self reliant, or western European powers being more self reliant in key capabilities. Again, perhaps I am wrong on that front, and perhaps managing battlespaces is not a capability Germany is interested in.

Perhaps my feelings are wrong. Europe & geopolitics is complicated.

I feel like there is quite a divide going on and that the German military is quite frustrated with these Franco-German cooperation initiative that tend to have weak or hollow capabilities on the ground or in the air. I think the F-35 and the P8 acquisitions are tangible examples of that, and frustrations of NH90 and Tiger are also noted. The German political elite also seem to be doing some more listening from within, from the military. It feels like they want capabilities they can use immediately around them. An E7 operating from a US base from within Germany would seem to fit that kind of capability. Now with commitment to P8s and F-35's, and Uk/US/NATO acquisition of E7, it may be that they will see that as a useful capability to add to a modern fighting force. Now that the E7 capabilities are more than just a battlefield traffic control are known, and how it operates in and around conflicts, it may help them understand that this may be some thing that was excuse the pun, not on the radar earlier.

I am not trying to build straw men. I am only trying to communicate my points. I am not intending to put words in anyone's mouth, so sorry. I guess I am trying to clarify points we both agree on.

It just seems like their is this belief that GlobalEyre or E3 can do exactly the same missions and capabilities as a modern E7. Which is not the case. I know this is a difficult field to talk about publically, as much of the capabilities are not public. Yeh, they can do the air traffic stuff, particularly in peacetime when your talking about aircraft with beacons and large radar returns, but that clearly isn't the only role the E7 are doing and why the US/UK is urgently acquiring them. Why they have no interest in smaller competitors that can do some parts of the mission and have a much smaller sensor/transmitter and less manpower and processing and less development.

I think the Germans are very interested in the RAAF and its capabilities. I expect them to take further interest specifically in Australian capabilities in 2024. Australia can provide a good example of a well funded, independent capable air force, that is affordable and effective.
German air force plans major Asia-Pacific tour in 2024 (defensenews.com)
There is a major Pacific deployment in conjunction with France and Spain planned for mid 2024, German commitments include 1 Naval Ship, 6 Eurofighters, 4 A400M, and 3 A330 MRTT. They will participate in RIMPAC and Pitch Black as well as visiting several other countries.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Germany's a participant in the NATO AEW fleet. It could add AEW capability by paying to buy more E-7s for it. that'd fit what it's doing elsewhere, e.g. it's already by far the biggest contributor to (& expected biggest user of) the NATO AAR fleet
I think and hope where that is going. The NATO fleet replacement is quite small. Germany can afford to buy and operate E7's, unlike smaller nations that tend to acquire capability through NATO joint capability. Also, having capability that is directly operated by a country can be useful as it can be easier to commit to new threats than going through NATO.

German air force plans major Asia-Pacific tour in 2024 (defensenews.com)
There is a major Pacific deployment in conjunction with France and Spain planned for mid 2024, German commitments include 1 Naval Ship, 6 Eurofighters, 4 A400M, and 3 A330 MRTT. They will participate in RIMPAC and Pitch Black as well as visiting several other countries.
This will be a very big deployment for them. I expect they will have a very close look at the RAAF F-35 fleet and its operations and enablers. Among other things. They previously made a big deployment back in 2022 for Pitchblack, included Singapore and Japan.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Australia get anything out Wedgetail sales?
I know we at least partly funded its development.
Some..

Not a huge amount directly through the RAAF, maybe more through the actual Australian based suppliers and contractors..
1701670402685.png

The US is rewriting its code base, not sure if that is just for its planes or its intended to replace all planes, and how that impacts some of this from a long time ago. I suspect the existing code base will be less cumbersome for existing operators like UK, Korea, Turkey. I expect there will always be some money per sale coming back, not huge amounts, but important recognition and ongoing.

I imagine more importantly it keeps Australia at the big table when it comes to possibly developing new capabilities having input etc. Its also a big win as its been picked up with the US in a huge order. Australia as a very influential customer is clearly noted. I'm sure we will be flooded with unfunded good US based projects that we could pick up on.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think and hope where that is going. The NATO fleet replacement is quite small. Germany can afford to buy and operate E7's, unlike smaller nations that tend to acquire capability through NATO joint capability. Also, having capability that is directly operated by a country can be useful as it can be easier to commit to new threats than going through NATO.
Yes, but Germany's traditionally been one of the countries tied most closely to NATO & least likely to do anything alone. Note that Germany used to have its own AAR aircraft, but was keen on a joint AAR fleet within NATO - & got it.

The government's recently been saying that it's going to focus more on the defence of NATO & Germany rather than the out of area commitments it's recently been involved in. To me, that doesn't suggest a change of direction away from its current participation in the NATO AEW fleet towards a national capability. It's not even been hinted at AFAIK. And given Germany's location, it's hard to think of a threat to it which didn't automatically involve NATO before it even touched Germany. An attack by Switzerland?

Perhaps that 2024 Pacific deployment was already planned before the rethink & talk of return to the way Germany had been working for 50 years.

Don't forget that the Luftwaffe's F-35s will all be committed to NATO full-time. They're to meet Germany's NATO commitment to nuclear weapons delivery when the Luftwaffe's nuclear-capable Tornados are retired. The alternatives were to buy F-18E, F-15E, or modify some Typhoons. All of those were rejected, leaving the only off the shelf option likely to stay in production for a while - F-35A. Those F-35s won't be available for national purposes outside NATO. They're not a sign of building a national capacity.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get what you are saying about AAR.

But I think something like the E7 really fall into a different category. AAR is really a everyone capability, I am not sure AEW/AWACS going into the future are in the exact same category. There are commercial leases for AAR capability. I'm not sure people are going to lease battlespace management capability from commercial operators.

There are times where having forces under NATO and having forces directly sovereign control of a nation treaty to NATO are different.

But it is early days yet.
I think Japan might be another country looking at it as well.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Germany's a participant in the NATO AEW fleet. It could add AEW capability by paying to buy more E-7s for it. that'd fit what it's doing elsewhere, e.g. it's already by far the biggest contributor to (& expected biggest user of) the NATO AAR fleet.
It is extremely unlikely that Germany will ever obtain an AEW capability outside the joint NATO-operated fleet - partially because Germany does not plan for symmetric operations requiring thus outside a common NATO operation.

The other underlaying reason is that the very reason Germany is a participant to the NATO fleet is that the capability is a massive personnel hog for a limited actual military use. Especially considering the rather dense German ground radar network for theater air surveillance as part of NATINADS.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
At some point I should probably move this out of the RAAF thread.

It is extremely unlikely that Germany will ever obtain an AEW capability outside the joint NATO-operated fleet - partially because Germany does not plan for symmetric operations requiring thus outside a common NATO operation.
True, but that predisposes that the E7 can only be used for symmetric operations and that NATO has enough innate ability for itself and Germany and NATO always see things the same.

I am always curious how people think NATO will operate if the US was distracted by an existential conflict elsewhere and NATO started to face threats directly.

The US is investing very much in to the E7 platform, sats will have their place ground sensing, and as radar platforms for air control and as communication nodes. Again, the E7 as a radar platform is only part of its function. If that was the only contribution, or even just the main contribution it made, the US would acquire zero E7's. The US can sense globally and command and control globally, without the E7.

But certainly there is no active program to acquire them.
Especially considering the rather dense German ground radar network for theater air surveillance as part of NATINADS.
We have JORN.. we can sense B2's flying in and out of CONUS bases through JORN. We have had the capability to detect even small munition launches from the mid east and north asia, for 20+ years. Before we acquired E7.

The US also has a fairly extensive air surveillance capability. But again, its beyond that. Having that capability doesn't always preclude E7 type capability.
The other underlaying reason is that the very reason Germany is a participant to the NATO fleet is that the capability is a massive personnel hog for a limited actual military use.
Bingo cost/manpower are very valid points. But use and usefulness may have changed given recent developments regarding things like drones. It would seem the E7 is quite valuable currently.

But again, no active program to acquire. Perhaps something that is being looked at more broadly and given the current state of play which is different now to even two weeks ago.

CJR

Part of RAAF (and most of USCG) C-27J fleet grounded with cracks in the wings...
The Royal Australian Air Force has stopped flying an undisclosed number of its C-27J Spartans after finding "cracking" on some of the light tactical fixed-wing aircraft.

Inspections of the Queensland-based fleet identified the same engineering problem, which has prompted the United States Coast Guard to ground all 14 of its C-27J planes over the weekend.

Italian manufacturer Leonardo recently issued an "Alert Service Bulletin" to the 17 nations that operate around 90 of the airframes worldwide for mid-range tactical transport and maritime surveillance missions.

It reportedly directed users to inspect for cracks in the upper rear of the aircraft, where the Spartan's horizontal and vertical stabilisers attach to the fuselage.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think Japan might be another country looking at it as well.
I can see Japan buying E-7. Its AEW 767s are newer than any E-3s, & the airframes should have more useful life left, but have the same radar, so should be equally affected by radar obsolescence. Japan operates a mixture of E-767 & E-2, & it's buying more E-2D, presumably intending to replace its E-2Cs. It already operates several E-2D. The only analogue of that advance in radar generation in AEW aircraft on the scale of the E-3/E-767 is buying E-7. It'd be a logical follow-on. I think it can't be done soon, though, because there's a queue to buy E-7s.

Both the ELTA/Gulfstream* & SAAB/Global 6000/6500** systems seem to be good, but I think the E-7 has the advantage of a bigger & more powerful radar (I can't comment on quality) & perhaps more onboard processing, possible because it's a bigger aircraft with more space & power. And although one can't buy an E-7 in a hurry, I'm sure it'd also take a while to get either of the others, though not necessarily quite as long.

*Apparently the G550 is no longer being built for commercial users, & I'm not sure if it's still possible to order a new G550 AEW - but I've seen it suggested that IAI/ELTA is offering a G650 AEW, & conversions of used G550s can be done.

** SAAB has been reported to be offering a Global 6500-based Globaleye, without the Seaspray 7500E radar, but with nose & tail radars to fill the coverage gaps of the standard Erieye system.