Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

vonnoobie

For the love of....
I sense anger in the force.....

To over simplify it for those not following say each aircraft is loaded with 10 tons per a flight and each aircraft does 3 flights each with a fleet of 10 aircraft that gets you the 300 tons of supplies delivered.

No that isn't the actual number of flights taken, just to fly those 2,400 civilians out would have taken a minimum of 40 flights assuming full 60 person capacity was utilised.

Redlands18

I sense anger in the force.....

To over simplify it for those not following say each aircraft is loaded with 10 tons per a flight and each aircraft does 3 flights each with a fleet of 10 aircraft that gets you the 300 tons of supplies delivered.

No that isn't the actual number of flights taken, just to fly those 2,400 civilians out would have taken a minimum of 40 flights assuming full 60 person capacity was utilised.
60 people in the back of a Spartan? Doubt it, the RAAF quote 34 as max and that would be in proper Seating, you could probably jam 60 in if you sat them on the floor but no RAAF Aircraft Captain is going to allow that, except in the most dire of circumstances.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Well official the C-27J's are being retasked as some on here suspected. Defence expands role of C-27J Spartan fleet

Humanitarian & disaster relief, crisis response and regional engagement. They proved vital in the bushfires and apperantly have been used quite a lot in supplying aid during covid while also have proved quite well in supplying out of the way forces in austere locations during talisman sabre.

May not have been the original intent but considering today's circumstances they are a valuable asset that will be relied upon for decades to come.
Out of interest does anyone know if the original G222 or new C27J had/have the capability of underwing tanks to increase their range? I've had a quick look on the interweb but couldn't fond anything. Cheers

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
60 people in the back of a Spartan? Doubt it, the RAAF quote 34 as max and that would be in proper Seating, you could probably jam 60 in if you sat them on the floor but no RAAF Aircraft Captain is going to allow that, except in the most dire of circumstances.
They can pack em in if they have to.
During the evacuation of Darwin after TC Tracy a Qantas 747 carried 674 pax plus 23 crew.
A RAAF C130 packed in 151
My family were lucky, they were evacuated in a RAN HS 748 …via Mt Isa…Brisbane and finally Sydney.
I didn’t see them again for 4months.

rand0m

This might be an interesting platform to watch considering the similarities between the Canberra class and TCG Anadolu.

I want to know how they are going to land/recover that on the TCG Anadolu

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This might be an interesting platform to watch considering the similarities between the Canberra class and TCG Anadolu.

I want to know how they are going to land/recover that on the TCG Anadolu

What has this got to do with the RAAF ? I struggle to even find a connection with the RAN apart from the Juan Carlos I connection. In the future please ensure that you post in the appropriate thread.

rand0m

What has this got to do with the RAAF ? I struggle to even find a connection with the RAN apart from the Juan Carlos I connection. In the future please ensure that you post in the appropriate thread.
The fact that that RAAF/RAN may be interested in an existing UCAV platform that is the only one designed to operate off the LHD Canberra class?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The fact that that RAAF/RAN may be interested in an existing UCAV platform that is the only one designed to operate off the LHD Canberra class?
But they haven't shown any inclination and they wouldn't be buying Turkish would they? The current Turkish geopolitical situation kinda puts the kibosh on that. The only reason that the Australian and NZ governments are playing nice with Erdoğan's government is because of access to Gallipoli. The RAAF doesn't have an unlimited money supply and what money they do have is already spoken for. This idea of yours is borderline fantasy and we get enough of that already. That's why I green inked your original post and was trying to be polite.

MARKMILES77

Interesting photos posted on the Talisman Saber 21 Excercise site.
Hawk Lead in Fighters now have the capability to drop Laser Guided Bombs.
A total of 8 GBU-12s were dropped by Hawks.Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 8.07.32 pm.png

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Training capability I’m going to assume, as the Hawk’s have no EWSP system at all that I am aware of… Not to mention no sensor systems beyond the Mk.1 eyeball, hence the need for Tigers to provide lasing for these weapons…

t68

Interesting photos posted on the Talisman Saber 21 Excercise site.
Hawk Lead in Fighters now have the capability to drop Laser Guided Bombs.
A total of 8 GBU-12s were dropped by Hawks.View attachment 48376

Interesting, wonder if it would be in our interest to have the LIF more combat capable in the lower intensity role if needed along the lines of the Hawk 200 or K/A-50

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting, wonder if it would be in our interest to have the LIF more combat capable in the lower intensity role if needed along the lines of the Hawk 200 or K/A-50
Wouldn't be worth the investment now. However something that would be worth considering when the Hawk is replaced. The eT-7A Red Tail and the T/A-50 would be probable contenders along with the MB346.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The T-7A Red and the TA50 are supposed to have fighter versions. Not sure what the difference and cost is between trainer and fighter. IMO would be worth while to take a longer look at that in the current situation.

I wonder if this image is perhaps adding a bit more pressure to that case. IMO it always seemed sensible that your LIF can, you know, fight, or at least train with munitions. Shame the koreans werent able to get JASSM, then that would have been integrated as well into the Fa50.

t68

Wouldn't be worth the investment now. However something that would be worth considering when the Hawk is replaced. The eT-7A Red Tail and the T/A-50 would be probable contenders along with the MB346.

Sorry was not meaning an upgrade of the current Hawk, but those extra capabilities to be incorporated into the next LIF aircraft for the RAAF, which is able to be a lower cost platform to do the lower intensity work if needed in the future. Or extra assets able to be called if necessary a cheap CAS aircraft? Say and extra 12-18 in this role still can do the LIF role and with the real world training as indicated about in dropping smart weapons before moving into 1st tier aircraft

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
One for the Collingwood supporters ! "In recognition of the No. 75 Squadron mascot, the Australian magpie, Boeing Defence Australia have applied a black and white commemorative paint scheme to F/A-18A Hornet A21-018. The aircraft will sport the new colour scheme ahead of No. 75 Squadron's transition to the F-35A Lightning II in 2022. The squadron adopted the magpie as it is a belligerent defendant of its young with the courage to attack, symbolic of the squadron’s war time activities since World War Two." Image Source - ADF Image Library

20210728raaf8198167_0013eidt.jpg

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One for the Collingwood supporters ! "In recognition of the No. 75 Squadron mascot, the Australian magpie, Boeing Defence Australia have applied a black and white commemorative paint scheme to F/A-18A Hornet A21-018. The aircraft will sport the new colour scheme ahead of No. 75 Squadron's transition to the F-35A Lightning II in 2022. The squadron adopted the magpie as it is a belligerent defendant of its young with the courage to attack, symbolic of the squadron’s war time activities since World War Two." Image Source - ADF Image Library
Yep saw some photos on social media. Great magpies paint job. :D

Redlands18

View attachment 48381
Wrong, it was nice of them to remember the Western Suburbs Rugby League Team.