Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

hauritz

I notice APAs website hasn't been updated since January 2014. I think they pretty much gave up after the last of the F-111 fleet was quite literally buried somewhere outside Ipswich. These days Carlo Kopp is more interested in AI and Information technology so god knows what sort of crackpot theories he is into now.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I notice APAs website hasn't been updated since January 2014. I think they pretty much gave up after the last of the F-111 fleet was quite literally buried somewhere outside Ipswich. These days Carlo Kopp is more interested in AI and Information technology so god knows what sort of crackpot theories he is into now.
Or passed the baton to Robert Gottliebsen.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
You did what? You looked at the APA website?

You know the punishment for that, go stand in the corner facing the wall for the rest of the lesson, then when everyone goes home you’ll write on the blackboard:

“I will never visit the APA website, never ever ever again ” 1000 times.

Shame on you!!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

You know the punishment for that, go stand in the corner facing the wall for the rest of the lesson, then when everyone goes home you’ll write on the blackboard:

Shame on you!!
7 days no pudding or alcohol for you for a poor impersonation of a Moderator. :D :p

vonnoobie

Shame on you!!
As @ngatimozart said very poor impression, need to be more grumpy old man like any normal grandfather

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They young Soldiers joining the Army today are as a rule a lot smarter and far better educated then their Fathers and Grandfathers where, using complex Computer systems are second nature to them. The days of guys joining the Army having left School after 8th Grade are long gone.
I would suggest that better educated is absolutely correct. I would question smarter .... noting intelligence, whit and intuition are not necessarily guaranteed by completion of year 12.

I do agree the new generation are much more adept with the technology .... on average.

vonnoobie

Adept at technology not a problem, able to think outside the box to fix a problem when something goes wrong not so much from my experience.

hauritz

That is what it looks like. It is the first time I have heard of it the RAAF using it. Perhaps it is on loan from the USN.

Reading between the lines it could be the RAAF evaluating that concept and by extension perhaps looking at the USNs other buddy refuelling option ... the Stingray.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That is what it looks like. It is the first time I have heard of it the RAAF using it. Perhaps it is on loan from the USN.

Reading between the lines it could be the RAAF evaluating that concept and by extension perhaps looking at the USNs other buddy refuelling option ... the Stingray.
There was some scuttlebutt back in the day, that RAAF acquired the refuelling pods as part of the $6.6b package, but I’ve never seen a single photo or any announcement that I can recall, confirming that…

We seem to be trialling lots of things at the moment, because obviously other service experience isn’t relevant…

Refuelling pods on Shornets. (USN have done it for years).

Litening pods on a C-130 (USAF and USMc have done it for years).

C-130’s in the special operations role (USAF and others have done it for years)…

I suppose this is evidence gathering for future capability acquisition business cases, but it does seem like we rather enjoy attempting to reinvent the wheel…

John Newman

The Bunker Group
There was some scuttlebutt back in the day, that RAAF acquired the refuelling pods as part of the $6.6b package, but I’ve never seen a single photo or any announcement that I can recall, confirming that…
I remember the same thing being reported too, a buddy tanking capability was to be part of the Super Hornet acquisition, and like you, I’ve not seen a photo of the capability either.

If I remember correctly this is not the first buddy tanking capability the ADF has had, back in the day the RAN A-4Gs had that capability too.

Cheers,

vonnoobie

Well official the C-27J's are being retasked as some on here suspected. Defence expands role of C-27J Spartan fleet

Humanitarian & disaster relief, crisis response and regional engagement. They proved vital in the bushfires and apperantly have been used quite a lot in supplying aid during covid while also have proved quite well in supplying out of the way forces in austere locations during talisman sabre.

May not have been the original intent but considering today's circumstances they are a valuable asset that will be relied upon for decades to come.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Spotted this article in the ADBR.

I had no idea we had such a capability

Pleasantly surprised

Regards S
We have a ginormous space radar in Central Otago, South Island, which is used for monitoring and tracking space junk. Been operational for a while now. Undoubtedly it can track other things too.

cdxbow

Well official the C-27J's are being retasked as some on here suspected. Defence expands role of C-27J Spartan fleet

Humanitarian & disaster relief, crisis response and regional engagement. They proved vital in the bushfires and apperantly have been used quite a lot in supplying aid during covid while also have proved quite well in supplying out of the way forces in austere locations during talisman sabre.

May not have been the original intent but considering today's circumstances they are a valuable asset that will be relied upon for decades to come.
Yes, they should be very useful in the Indo-pacific. Glad they didn't end up with the other broken toys and get sent to the op shop. Bigger payload and longer range than a WWII Liberator, though the 300,000 kg load claimed in the article is a mistake by an order of magnitude .

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, they should be very useful in the Indo-pacific. Glad they didn't end up with the other broken toys and get sent to the op shop. Bigger payload and longer range than a WWII Liberator, though the 300,000 kg load claimed in the article is a mistake by an order of magnitude .
I think the 300 tonnes was an accumulative total.

vonnoobie

"resupplying remote communities inaccessible by larger aircraft with 300,000 kilograms of cargo."

Key word being communities meaning multiple locations implying this was the combined total.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
We have a ginormous space radar in Central Otago, South Island, which is used for monitoring and tracking space junk. Been operational for a while now. Undoubtedly it can track other things too.
Ours is to monitor space junk launched from NZ and determine whether it's being used to watch the Wallabies...and laugh at them.

oldsig

cdxbow

I think the 300 tonnes was an accumulative total.
Not sure about that. Quoted max. payload is 11,600 kilograms. 10x 11.6 tons is 116 tons across the fleet. I think the author has made some other silly error, like taking the maximum flight weight (31,000 kg) as the payload.

FormerDirtDart

Not sure about that. Quoted max. payload is 11,600 kilograms. 10x 11.6 tons is 116 tons across the fleet. I think the author has made some other silly error, like taking the maximum flight weight (31,000 kg) as the payload.
For the love of...
It is a cumulative total of cargo delivered. Just like it's the total number of people evacuated throughout the crisis.
According to AIRMSHL Hupfeld, this was evident during recent deployments in response to the national bushfire crisis, with the platform evacuating 2,400 community members and resupplying remote communities inaccessible by larger aircraft with 300,000 kilograms of cargo.