Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Just a guess but perhaps the RCAF doesn’t want to support two types. This would be another stressor on an already short-staffed maintenance team.

barney41

Two problems with this timeline IMO. First, it looks like the Oct election could well be a minority Liberal government which could delay things, especially if the NDP support is needed. If it is a Conservative minority, hard to say, especially if the review process says no to the F-35. The other problem is the same old problem, no decision within 6 months of the next election cycle causing yet another postponement, think FWSAR or Maritime helicopter replacement. It would cause a $hitstorm but less face it, the history is there.

barney41

I can't see how the F-35 wouldn't top any evaluation, it's just so superior to anything else. The price should be at the $80M level for 2020 orders per LM projections so very ikely cheaper than any competitor as well.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I agree but political pressure is always a factor with military procurement here. Let’s not forget, junior’s ego will be bruised by a F-35 decision.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

hairyman

According to Bloomberg News, 19th Feb, 2019, USAF wants eight upgraded newF15 fighter-bombers from Boing, even though it has F22's, older F15's, and F35's. Apparently the F35 cant carry the heavy missiles under development. This is a preliminary order as apparently 80 F15X aircraft will be required.
I have previously suggested the RAAF look at the upgraded Eurofighter under development, maybe we should show some interest in the F15X, instead of having all of eggs in the one F35 basket.

King Wally

According to Bloomberg News, 19th Feb, 2019, USAF wants eight upgraded newF15 fighter-bombers from Boing, even though it has F22's, older F15's, and F35's. Apparently the F35 cant carry the heavy missiles under development. This is a preliminary order as apparently 80 F15X aircraft will be required.
I have previously suggested the RAAF look at the upgraded Eurofighter under development, maybe we should show some interest in the F15X, instead of having all of eggs in the one F35 basket.
Wouldn't our Super Hornets achieve this objective already? There's really no rush to get rid of them either, particularly if issue's arise around the introduction of the F35.

Massive

maybe we should show some interest in the F15X, instead of having all of eggs in the one F35 basket.
Thought the F-15X was a single seat air-superiority fighter?

If so it is unclear to me that this is what is needed in the RAAF?

Regards,

Massive

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@hairyman How about a link to said story instead of people having to hunt it up for themselves.

hairyman

I dont know how to provide a link. Iam more at home on Imperial and Royal typewriters than computers.
I had a look but could not see that article now. I found a reference to it on something called "The WarZone" which said the US is to order 12, whereas the original article said 8 F15X. In explanation as to why the F15X is required, the article states that there are many combat missions that benefit from a heavy fighter that can carry large stores over long ranges as against a stealth fighter which is limited in load and range.

In Senate Estimates, the CAS confirmed the damaged Growler is an economic write-off. Options for replacement have no yet been determined but the CAS did mention converting one of the Super Hornets. Discussions no doubt will be ongoing.

Morgo

Its easy to fall into the trap of “the US are doing it so they must have some awesome conops backing it up,” but I think you’re forgetting the dynamics at play in Washington currently.

The sequence of events is along the lines of:

1. It’s late 2018 and the Whitehouse is occupied by a plutocrat who allows those who are loyal to him to have carte blanche.

2. Boeing has limited forward orders for F15s as export orders run down.

3. The Deputy Secretary of Defense has been in his job for a bit over a year, having spent the rest of his career at Boeing.

4. The Secretary resigns. His Deputy becomes acting Secretary.

5. Within a week the Pentagon places a USD1.2bn order with Boeing.

You draw your own conclusions.

Additionally, while it does seem to be an outstanding aircraft in many regards (with range and payload particularly relevant in an Australian context) there are significant logistical drawbacks from adding more types to a fleet.

P&W and GE are also competing to re-engine the F-35 in the mid 2020s, with fuel economy (and hence range) expected to increase significantly. In the meantime P&W continue to make incremental improvements to the F135. This should help enhance the F-35’s capabilities on a couple of metrics that are particularly important to us (again, range and payload).

So on balance I’d say we’re best to stay the course with the F-35 / Super Hornet combo.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Stampede

Noticed a pair of Chinooks flying over Melbourne this afternoon.
As they were a long way from home I guess they were either lost or maybe something is happening at Avalon next weekend.

Regards S :)

King Wally

As they were a long way from home I guess they were either lost or maybe something is happening at Avalon next weekend.

I think it was about a day ago I saw a pair flying over Toowoomba / South QLD heading south. Was interesting as we normally don't see them here (tends to be MRH90 / Eurocopter Tigers we get here based at Oakey).

Julian 82

The Chinooks will be flying at Avalon next weekend as part of the ADF showcase. If you check the airshow website you can see the flying program.

Stampede

Thanks Julian 82

I'd say your correct.
One very long and slow trip for the crew on board.
The weather is looking good for next weekend so hopefully a good Air show ahead.

Regards S