Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

SpazSinbad

....raaf-c-27j-spartan-involved-in-texas-landing-incident]...RAAF C-27J Spartan damaged in Texas landing incident

Would this sort of thing leave the plane with a jinxed for life reputation for the superstitious?
rb
Intriguing - if true - however some may recall one of the first RAAF Caribous 01 July 1964 crashing severely during a short landing on RW 26 at NAS Nowra due well known down draught (had and has caught many an aircraft over the years). Bou became a training aid and WingCo Pax suffered back injuries. Did the BooBoo subsequently have a jinxed reputation?

jack412

Joint takes on a newer definition, I found this overview very informative

The RAAF Air Warfare Centre
"Just on one year ago, the Chief of Air Force formally announced the intent to establish an Air Warfare Centre as a key initiative of Plan JERICHO. In January of this year, the Air Warfare Centre achieved IOC. The Air Warfare Centre is designed to drive innovation and transform air operations to enable a fully integrated combat force.

In this Air Power Seminar, the inaugural Commander Air Warfare Centre, AIRCDRE Stephen Meredith, will present on his organization's establishment, role, mission and campaign plan to achieve FOC by 2020."
http://apdcpodcasts.blogspot.com.au...-warfare-centre-delivered.html?view=timeslide

https://app.box.com/s/nsus31dbfxxhnj2v7i2bkuqi3vhzwog4

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Joint takes on a newer definition, I found this overview very informative

The RAAF Air Warfare Centre
"Just on one year ago, the Chief of Air Force formally announced the intent to establish an Air Warfare Centre as a key initiative of Plan JERICHO. In January of this year, the Air Warfare Centre achieved IOC. The Air Warfare Centre is designed to drive innovation and transform air operations to enable a fully integrated combat force.

In this Air Power Seminar, the inaugural Commander Air Warfare Centre, AIRCDRE Stephen Meredith, will present on his organization's establishment, role, mission and campaign plan to achieve FOC by 2020."
Air Power Development Centre - Podcasts: The RAAF Air Warfare Centre

https://app.box.com/s/nsus31dbfxxhnj2v7i2bkuqi3vhzwog4
Jericho, its impact, benefits has been discussed on here across a few threads.
I think I've covered it and made some capability references across a few threads just in the last few weeks.

It was an excellent seminar btw. The RAAF ones are always popular.

jack412

I'm an avid reader of your posts gf and Jericho is covered well. I think this just adds to the pool on it. Normally they have the powerpoint slides as well with those links, but not this time.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm an avid reader of your posts gf and Jericho is covered well. I think this just adds to the pool on it. Normally they have the powerpoint slides as well with those links, but not this time.
I'll see if I can find some unclass jericho stuff to post up. Raven22 has raised Jericho impact on the land side as well.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The RAAF KC30MRTTs are proving their versatility in Operation OKRA with 22,679 tonnes of fuel transferred to Coalition aircraft since the KC30 have arrived in theatre. A good acquisition for the RAAF.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I see that BAE have started providing operational and flightline maintenance services for the RAAF Hawk LIFT fleet. This includes all launch and recovery evolutions, rectifications, life support, stores and mission equipment, on-site management support and deployed operations. I wonder if, in the long term, this is actually a good thing or a serious mistake for the RAAF.

Here's an early look at Australia’s first P-8A Poseidon, which recently came off the production line at Boeing. The aircraft will be delivered to the Royal Australian Air Force in November this year according to an update on LinkedIn. Looking very nice!
Outstanding looking aircraft. The attached link is from the July edition of Australian Aviation magazine with the first RAAF P8 carrying 11 Squadron markings. Will the first six go to 11 Squadron and the next six to 10 Squadron?

First flight for RAAF’s first P-8A Poseidon | Australian Aviation

hairyman

Lockheed Martin Team Achieves First PC-21 Flight Under Australia's Air 5428 Pilot Training System Program

I dont understand this. We are buying a Swiss aircraft, so how does Lockheed Martin get involved? And how much money do they get out of it? Surely we can deal with foreign companies ourselves, or is it a matter of finance?
This also occurred with the Italian planes we purchased for the RAAF.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Lockheed Martin Team Achieves First PC-21 Flight Under Australia's Air 5428 Pilot Training System Program

I dont understand this. We are buying a Swiss aircraft, so how does Lockheed Martin get involved? And how much money do they get out of it? Surely we can deal with foreign companies ourselves, or is it a matter of finance?
Bought from a consortium of Lockheed Martin as lead tenderer, with Pilatus and Hawker Pacific, not simply from Pilatus. I assume that the simulators and support will be sourced from L-M and Hawkers.

Australia To Buy PC-21 Trainers, Relocate Basic Training

oldsig

(edit for spelling)

vonnoobie

It's not just the aircraft we buy, or vehicle or ship etc etc, Can't speak to the specifics of the PC-21 purchase but there is usually also various training devices the the manufacturere/designer of the product does not actually produce them selves, there is also possible maintenance term's involved etc that another company may be better positioned to supply so you team up with them as it improves your offering etc.

Not every company can perform every factor of a contract so they team up with other's, and while they may be a ble to there are at times other companies better positioned in that particular nation to perform such a task, Why spend funds trying to increase your capability in that nation when you may not even win the contract when you can team up with another company at no financial out lay and with greater chances of a win.

Regards, vonnoobie.

jack412

I read that we aren't actually buying the PC-21, we have contracted for the supply of nn flight hours a year. A sort of lease. I don't know if the sims are the same.

vonnoobie

The KC-30A has flown from Japan to Australia with a flight of 6 F-16C's making 35 contacts, and returned with a flight of 12 F-16C's with out any issues (beyond turbulance).

KC-30A Refuels USAF F-16s During Pitch Black 2016 | SLDInfo

Great to see ever increasing capabilities with this much over looked aircraft, at least by the general public. Have read that in Iraq the lone KC-30A we have there has actually made up for 10% of fuel transfer to coalition aircraft.

Would be good if the government does jump on the other 2 aircraft they are tossing up with (Current fleet of 5 with another 2 on order).

In regards to the E-7A and the major success we are having with that, Considering how much we are looking at interopability between all forces would a possible future C&C aircraft be viable to take a more direct role in ground operations (Similar to the E-8).

We seem to be on a good role in introducing modern support aircraft ahead of any one else, might as well continue it if possible and the need is there.

Regards, Matthew.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What will be very interesting is to see how the KC-30 performs side by side with the KC-46A on operations or during exercises, once the latter finally enters service. I have always been very dubious of the selection of the 767 as I recall discussions back in the originally proposed lease deal post 9/11, that the entire project was more about a lifeline to Boeing than a proper acquisition.

I suspect that back to back / side by side, the KC-30 will out perform the KC-46 and in the future it will be asked why the competition was skewed to the 767 when the 777 and A330 based tankers were the better option.

vonnoobie

What will be very interesting is to see how the KC-30 performs side by side with the KC-46A on operations or during exercises, once the latter finally enters service. I have always been very dubious of the selection of the 767 as I recall discussions back in the originally proposed lease deal post 9/11, that the entire project was more about a lifeline to Boeing than a proper acquisition.

I suspect that back to back / side by side, the KC-30 will out perform the KC-46 and in the future it will be asked why the competition was skewed to the 767 when the 777 and A330 based tankers were the better option.
I suspect there was a fair bit of political 'American Jobs and American companies first' even though the Airbus offering actually created more US investment and job's then the Boeing offering.

One thing I'd like clarrified I have read articles about the KC-30A having Link 16 which it has used to actually fly to where it was needed rather then waiting for the asset to come to them however another recent article mentions France is acquiring it now and only just fitting them out and wewill be second, What is the go?

Oh well good for us, Not so good for them. Got our aircraft far far sooner and are using it and the E-7 with the F-22's in Iraq to develop new operational procedures with regards to 5th gen aircraft, love when we are playing a key role in shaping the future :D

Regards, vonnoobie.

vonnoobie

An interesting article that really gives some perspective on just how great the Aussie ISREW capability will be.

Airborne ISREW on the way up

With those already ordered and what is planned the ISREW fleet (aircraft performing the roles as a secondary or primary task) will consist of -

72 x F-35A's
12 x EA-18G's
5 x G550's
6 x E-7A's (Do we still have the option open for the 7th aircraft?)
7 x MQ-4C's
15 x P-8's
7 - 9 x KC-30A's (to some extent, with possible future growth)

We though it amazing when we got the 12 Growlers, Add in what we now know the F-35's can do and every other air asset we are acquiring the the RAAF of 2030 will be far far more capable then ever before.

Curious to see how well future upgrades of JORN will go and how it will be used in conjunction with these assets.

Regards, vonnoobie.

t68

An interesting article that really gives some perspective on just how great the Aussie ISREW capability will be.

Airborne ISREW on the way up

With those already ordered and what is planned the ISREW fleet (aircraft performing the roles as a secondary or primary task) will consist of -

72 x F-35A's
12 x EA-18G's
5 x G550's
6 x E-7A's (Do we still have the option open for the 7th aircraft?)
7 x MQ-4C's
15 x P-8's
7 - 9 x KC-30A's (to some extent, with possible future growth)

We though it amazing when we got the 12 Growlers, Add in what we now know the F-35's can do and every other air asset we are acquiring the the RAAF of 2030 will be far far more capable then ever before.

Curious to see how well future upgrades of JORN will go and how it will be used in conjunction with these assets.

Regards, vonnoobie.
Thought we only orders 2x 550 sig intel birds, also I havnt heard anything concrete on MQ-4's

vonnoobie

Thought we only orders 2x 550 sig intel birds, also I havnt heard anything concrete on MQ-4's
Originally I thought we had only ordered 2 x 550's though I have seen another article mentioning an order for 2 more 550's several months after the December/January announcement though that could have been media outlets digging up old news.

Where I do get the 5 x 550's from is the DWP

Long-range electronic warfare support
1.20 From the early 2020s, Defence will acquire up to five long-range
electronic warfare support aircraft based on the Gulfstream G550
airframe with additional and modified systems. This capability will
substantially enhance electronic warfare support to naval, air and land
forces for operations in electromagnetic environments manipulated by
hostile forces, with the operating cost, range and endurance benefits
of a commercial airframe. The aircraft will be acquired in two tranches
and incrementally upgraded to maintain commonality with the United
States-developed systems for long-term supportability and to maintain
interoperability.
As for the MQ-4C's while no official order has been placed yet the intention has been made (Tony Abbott when he was in charge) and the DWP backed up the intention both in aircraft type and the numbers. That said it could change though I don't imagine so, With the ever growing traffic through out the Pacific, South East Asia and the Indian oceans we need numbers, Could go for more P-8's and such but they cost more to buy and likely more to operate while the MQ-4C is cheaper with longer range and endurance not to mention more ideal to ISR over large area's.