Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

John Newman

The Bunker Group
A change of pace.....

I was out in Western Sydney today and spent some time in the Richmond/Windsor area on business.

Just as I was coming into Windsor I could see one of the new C-27J's doing circuits over Windsor and Richmond.

Just as I was driving past Richmond airbase the C-27J came in very low over Richmond (and I mean very low), it landed on the extreme western end of the runway, powered on and took off again in no time at all, probably hardly used a quarter of the strip for both the landing and take off, pretty impressive!!

When I finished seeing a client in Richmond I stood outside for a while and almost regular as clock work every 10mins or so, it came in really low over the Richmond township (again really low) and headed for the strip.

On my way out of Richmond to head to Windsor, I pulled over for a little while and watched it do the same thing a few more time too.

Poor old Richmond airbase is looking a bit sad these days, long gone is the endless 'wing tip, to wing tip' line up of C-130's that I remember from the past.

There were three 'retired' C-130H parked at the Western end of the flight line, a lone C-27J in the middle and another three C-130J's at the east end of the flight line, and yes there was also a C-17A parked at the far Eastern end of the flight line.

Cheers,

Boagrius

A change of pace.....

I was out in Western Sydney today and spent some time in the Richmond/Windsor area on business.

Just as I was coming into Windsor I could see one of the new C-27J's doing circuits over Windsor and Richmond.

Just as I was driving past Richmond airbase the C-27J came in very low over Richmond (and I mean very low), it landed on the extreme western end of the runway, powered on and took off again in no time at all, probably hardly used a quarter of the strip for both the landing and take off, pretty impressive!!

When I finished seeing a client in Richmond I stood outside for a while and almost regular as clock work every 10mins or so, it came in really low over the Richmond township (again really low) and headed for the strip.

On my way out of Richmond to head to Windsor, I pulled over for a little while and watched it do the same thing a few more time too.

Poor old Richmond airbase is looking a bit sad these days, long gone is the endless 'wing tip, to wing tip' line up of C-130's that I remember from the past.

There were three 'retired' C-130H parked at the Western end of the flight line, a lone C-27J in the middle and another three C-130J's at the east end of the flight line, and yes there was also a C-17A parked at the far Eastern end of the flight line.

Cheers,
Very cool. I remember frequenting Williamtown airbase on family holidays as a kid and in about 2001 (pre--September) they used to run a bus tour of the base for civvies. Took you right down the flight line of all the Hornets, their hangars, revetments etc.
At one point they parked the bus right next to the northern end of the runway as the Hornets were taking off. Then got to watch a Hawk come in and execute possibly the gentlest landing I think I have ever seen an aircraft make. Fun times!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
willy is far better, usually have multiple wedgetails and pointys lined up :)

John Newman

The Bunker Group
willy is far better, usually have multiple wedgetails and pointys lined up :)
Haven't been past Willy for a long time, probably since prior to the Wedgetails too.

My favourite memory of Richmond was the bicentennial airshow, now that was an airshow!!

Every single aircraft that you could imagine, military and non-military too, the RN was in town and there were Sea Harriers doing their thing and at the end of the day a B-52 did a flyover.

I've got hundred of photos (all from film) that I need to transfer to digital, at the same time we used to have regular visits to Garden Island of the USN's 'conventional' carriers, been on at least three different ones, plus LPH, LHD's, etc, etc.

It's funny in those days, whenever I was on board a USN ship I could take photos of virtually anything I wanted. I've been on USN ships of the same Class as the RAN over the years, DDG's and FFG's and the USN didn't care less what you photographed and where, but the same couldn't be said for the RAN or the RN when I was on one of the Invincible class one day, "don't photograph" in the hangar, but go for your life on the deck!!!

Anyway, will have to spend some time (when I can find it) and convert all of them to digital and upload to DT.

..My favourite memory of Richmond was the bicentennial airshow, now that was an airshow!!

Every single aircraft that you could imagine, military and non-military too, the RN was in town and there were Sea Harriers doing their thing and at the end of the day a B-52 did a flyover.
You're right John. I was at the 88' airshow at Richmond too. I can still remember doing remember doing a walkthrough on the Antonov..

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Yes I read that on AA the other day.

The 'Airborne Gateway' capability certainly appears to be a capability that will probably be a 'must have' for the RAAF (and ADF generally) into the future.

In the AA article there is this paragraph:

“The specific objective is to assess the ability for a gateway to effectively translate and relay information between the ARH and other ADF platforms,” the RAAF booklet reads.
But is this a capability that the RAAF is going to end up getting when the MQ-4 Triton enters service anyway? I've read this before about Triton (the quote is from Wiki):

Another aspect of the MQ-4C is its ability to act as a network relay and data fusion center, able to receive and transmit messages from around a theater of operations between various sources not within line-of-sight of each other. It can take what ships, planes, and land sensors are seeing and broadcasting through various data-links and fuse that information together to create a common "picture" of the battlespace, which it then can rebroadcast. This capability greatly increases interoperability, situational awareness, targeting efficiency, and sensor picture clarity, while also providing an alternative to satellite-based communications systems.

Is the 'Airborne Gateway' the same as the system mentioned above that is part of the capabilities of Triton?

GF, are you able to clarify?

The AA article also mentions that the Gateway can be installed and operated on anything from a King Air sized aircraft upwards, and according to the AA article it has also been tested on the Global Hawk (the 'cousin' of the Triton).

If it was available on Triton, having the ability to be airborne for 24hrs and at high altitude too sounds the way to go to me.

phreeky

It sounds a lot like a flash version of an ad-hoc wireless network to me. That in itself isn't all that amazing - of course an implementation with high levels of security and availability are more so - however I wonder how much processing is actually going on at the nodes.

For example is there an understanding of location of the neighbouring units and what subsets of data are usable for them, or is it more of a "here's who I can talk to and what data I have, wanna swap"? From the article it reads like more of simply a relay which supports a range of protocols to create interoperability.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
GF, are you able to clarify?
Not going to go into specifics

but think of ROIP and a digital gateway managing disparate frequencies

then think of (a more permanent version of) COW's and replace the critical platform bit with air assets

(I spent a couple of years working on a similar capability)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It sounds a lot like a flash version of an ad-hoc wireless network to me. That in itself isn't all that amazing - of course an implementation with high levels of security and availability are more so - however I wonder how much processing is actually going on at the nodes.

For example is there an understanding of location of the neighbouring units and what subsets of data are usable for them, or is it more of a "here's who I can talk to and what data I have, wanna swap"? From the article it reads like more of simply a relay which supports a range of protocols to create interoperability.
I would think of it not so much as an ad hoc network, but a more of a mobile net capability with a good amount of flexibility.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Admiral Pushing Plan to Network Aerial Fleet
22 Mar 2016 Jon Harper

Admiral Pushing Plan to Network Aerial Fleet - Blog
The concept is to be able to connect any commd asset across any frequency.

its not just about interfacing disparate frequencies to different platforms or comms assets

the Adm is talking about extra comms capability - P8 and Triton BAMs initial CONOPS concept always was to have them talking to each other

If you consider what RAAF has in its near future fleet, P8, EP8, E7. G550, Growler, JSF the capacity to share info and data has a significant impact on OODA as well as C5 issues

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How does ARH Tiger Eurogrid fit into the talking to other systems?
therein lies the current problem with french (and israeli) platforms

there are ways to facilitate this but its not something to discuss in detail in this forum

in broad terms when you have US systems that are bound by FMS and ITARS constraints, interfacing with other foreign systems requires some careful management and security protocols. There are IP firewall issues to contend with. Its not dissimilar to international training exercise problems where you have multiple nations with variations in their intra comms needing to interconnect and interface with the primary inter comms systems

Not possible to expand upon how its done and the mechanics of it in this forum

In broad terms the NG problem tries to achieve this in a single flying package - but its not as simple as portrayed in that op-ed provided before.

note that air land and sea platforms have their own issues that cause headaches at the joint operational level, so adding in other countries gear on their own internal interface issues just adds another layer of hurt and complexity

can be done, and I've seen it done, but its not easy

its also one of the reasons why buying foreign (ie as in uncommon to your core acquisitions heritage) hurts in integration costs.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I recall discussions some time ago of US Army Apaches', not just talking to but controlling drones of various types, which I believe were quite successful. I wonder if this could be part of the drive to replace rather than upgrade Tiger in the ADF, the Apache and Viper may have the ability to interface with MALE and HALE types as well as control Firescouts etc. while the risks of doing the same for the Tiger may be insurmountable.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I recall discussions some time ago of US Army Apaches', not just talking to but controlling drones of various types, which I believe were quite successful. I wonder if this could be part of the drive to replace rather than upgrade Tiger in the ADF, the Apache and Viper may have the ability to interface with MALE and HALE types as well as control Firescouts etc. while the risks of doing the same for the Tiger may be insurmountable.
from my perspective its far easier to go with single country solutions as its easier to do the integration - as opposed to a witches brew of different countries solutions purchased for a single user. as an example have a look at the grief that the indians go through - they try to manage it by getting tech transfer and transfer of ownership, but that leaves the integration problem local - and your costs just go north really quickly

its no guarantee with a total single country source though - eg look at the grief that a lot of NATO countries have within their services - Joint integration has hilighted how much we can't continue to allow service specific solutions

the emphasis now is on "need to share" as opposed to "need to know"

Bluey 006

DWP talked about a long range aero-medical and CSAR capability - most assumed it was the V-22.

There is currently an update/development program underway to enhance the capabilities of the AW609. Any chance the "upgraded" AW609 will get a look?

While not in the same league and not built for combat. Cheaper alternative to the V-22 perhaps?

One that fly's faster and further than the MH-90 or MH-60R

Last edited: