Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

weasel1962

Re:

It's not the USAF who will fly the 12 F-15SGs right? But they will be part of a USAF squadron?
There's at least 4 USAF aircrew who are flying instructors in the sqn. No point having half trained aircrew piloting the a/c before they're ready. The instructor role benefits the USAF as well. It allows them to test-pilot the more advanced aircraft and have ready to use reserve a/c if the USAF needs.

Threats don't manifest overnight. If there's a clear and present danger, the a/c will redeploy.

SGMilitary

5 of 24 RSAF F-15SG are back in Singapore. The Eagles were inaugurated by Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean. Defence analysts from Defense News & Flight Global, mentioned that the RSAF may procure additional 24 F-15SG plus option for 12 more to based in USAF training base to support the long term F-15SG training deployment. They had speculated that the RSAF will procure a fleet of 6 C-17 airlifter from Boeing. It is widely rumoured that more S-70B helicopters will be procured in the near future. In a seperate interview with Defense News, Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean mentioned that the RSAF may issue RFI for a fleet of 24-48 NGFA to replace the RSAF fleet of 45 F-5S.He reiterated that the AJT trainer competition winner will be announced by June this year. He also mentioned that the RSAF is looking either to replace her fleet of Fokker 50 MPA or upgrade it with advance avionics/system. It is unsure if the Fokker 50 MPA replacement will be manned or unmanned platform.In a seperate article, the recently tested Israeli IRON DOME anti rockets missile sysytem will be inducted into RSAF service as Singapore had co-funded the system development.It is still unsure if the SPYDER missile defense system was eventually procured.

Regards,
Soetomo

weasel1962

Re:

5 of 24 RSAF F-15SG are back in Singapore. The Eagles were inaugurated by Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean.
The operative word is "at least". 18 has been delivered. MHB is only intended to be home for 10.

Defence analysts from Defense News & Flight Global, mentioned that the RSAF may procure additional 24 F-15SG plus option for 12 more to based in USAF training base to support the long term F-15SG training deployment.
Source pls. Whilst the additional procurement was mooted, no indicative numbers were suggested.

They had speculated that the RSAF will procure a fleet of 6 C-17 airlifter from Boeing.
Interview with RSAF chief, no plans at the moment.

It is widely rumoured that more S-70B helicopters will be procured in the near future.
Only rumours. Nothing concrete.

In a seperate interview with Defense News, Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean mentioned that the RSAF may issue RFI for a fleet of 24-48 NGFA to replace the RSAF fleet of 45 F-5S.
That wasn't in the interview.

He reiterated that the AJT trainer competition winner will be announced by June this year.
No. He mentioned this year without specifying the month.

He also mentioned that the RSAF is looking either to replace her fleet of Fokker 50 MPA or upgrade it with advance avionics/system. It is unsure if the Fokker 50 MPA replacement will be manned or unmanned platform.
The exact words were "we are looking at a range of solutions".

In a seperate article, the recently tested Israeli IRON DOME anti rockets missile sysytem will be inducted into RSAF service as Singapore had co-funded the system development. It is still unsure if the SPYDER missile defense system was eventually procured.
Pure media speculation at this stage.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Defence News, Singapore chooses Italy's M-346 Trainer Jet but there is no confirmation on the AJT selection from official Singapore sources as yet.

Unlike the UAE selection, this is a contract for a total training system, including simulators and classroom trainers. Aermacchi teamed up with Singapore defense company ST Aero to compete with the KAI-Lockheed team in Singapore. The ground-based training system to support the M-346 would be provided by Boeing's training systems division, which is a third partner on the ST Aero-Aermacchi team.

weasel1962

Re:

Unlike the UAE selection, this is a contract for a total training system, including simulators and classroom trainers. Aermacchi teamed up with Singapore defense company ST Aero to compete with the KAI-Lockheed team in Singapore. The ground-based training system to support the M-346 would be provided by Boeing's training systems division, which is a third partner on the ST Aero-Aermacchi team.
Boeing participation and extent, if participating, not confirmed. Italian order was for CAE to provide simulators. CAE also provide simulators for super puma and chooks for rsaf as well as airline pilot training simulators to SIA. ST aero role expected to be significant.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Link to news release: ST Aerospace redelivers first modernised C130 aircraft to RSAF

In March 2007, ST Aerospace announced it was awarded a contract from RSAF to modernise and standardise its fleet of 10 C-130 transport aircraft. The contract is scheduled to be stretched over seven years, and involves the modernisation of the C130's avionic systems to meet evolving GATM requirements. Work on the second and third C130 aircraft has commenced and is currently at the modification phase. Both aircraft are expected to complete ground testing by this year.

Through this upgrade, ST Aerospace helps the RSAF keep Singapore's C-130 fleet flying for another 20 years (see history):

1977: RSAF acquired 2 second hand C-130s from the United States Air Force
1978: 2 more second hand C-130s were acquired from the Jordanian Air Force
1980: start of the delivery of 6 new C-130Hs were ordered directly from Lockheed and RSAF's 122 Squadron was officially inaugurated

Last edited:

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
Hmm - thats why I assume I have seen a C-130 busy doing approaches etc into Paya Lebar more than normal -- good view from home and at work :)

Also, a lot of F-15 activity - normally 4 bird flights as well -- very quiet on approach, unlike the F-5s. Getting close to 95% now in figuring out what is flying into Paya Lebar from home just based on "engine" noise alone.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
weasel1962, thanks for the update. I think new airframes will give the RSAF higher availability. Plus I think the RSAF has changed the syllabus a little, with more flight hours at the earlier turboprop stage. The RSAF seems to be benchmarking the USAF's training syllabus and there are two RSAF fast jet trainees in the US right now training there.

Hmm - thats why I assume I have seen a C-130 busy doing approaches etc into Paya Lebar more than normal -- good view from home and at work :)
Two of the oldest have been in service for 52 years. Another two have been in service for 50 years and the six remaining are at least 25 years old. These are grand old dames. :coffee

Also, a lot of F-15 activity - normally 4 bird flights as well -- very quiet on approach, unlike the F-5s. Getting close to 95% now in figuring out what is flying into Paya Lebar from home just based on "engine" noise alone.
The sound of the F-15SGs seem to be quite distinctive and is not as loud as I expected. :D

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
Two of the oldest have been in service for 52 years. Another two have been in service for 50 years and the six remaining are at least 25 years old. These are grand old dames. :coffee
So, I take it that the RSAF "ain't" having centre wing spar issues ala RNZAF :). Low level flying in NZ certainly is taking a toll on the 5 birds -- not quite 50 plus years, but the first three are older than me by a couple of years :p.

I wonder how many "B" models are still flying ? -- Quite surprised to hear the RSAF is flying "B"s let alone consider them worthwhile upgrading --- surely "J"s would have been a "better" investment ?

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So, I take it that the RSAF "ain't" having centre wing spar issues ala RNZAF :). Low level flying in NZ certainly is taking a toll on the 5 birds -- not quite 50 plus years, but the first three are older than me by a couple of years :p.

I wonder how many "B" models are still flying ? -- Quite surprised to hear the RSAF is flying "B"s let alone consider them worthwhile upgrading --- surely "J"s would have been a "better" investment ?
Dave it not the center wing spar that is the problem, its the flight software thats causing the delays, hopefully they pass testing soon saw one doing the rounds in Woodburn.

weasel1962

Re:

Weren't any Js when the rsaf got them back in '77 to set up 122 sqn. All 4 -Bs are used as tankers. 4 of the 6 Js are 30 years old this yr and the other 2 should be within 2 years of that.

The fact that ST is upgrading all 10 means all 10 are still in flyable condition.

The last major exercise that the Bs participated that I can think of was pitch black 2008.

I think everyone is being compelled to perform GATM upgrades if anyone wants to fly in certain controlled airspace. Probably some kind of standard mandated by the ICAO. Boeing also offered an AMP program (probably licensed this to ST).

According to the press release, only 1 a/c has been modernised and 2 more are in the pipeline. Modernisation of all 10 should be completed within 7 years and is expected to extend service life by 20 years. The top honcho keeps saying there's no plans to procure transport replacements anytime soon. This should explain why.

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
Dave it not the center wing spar that is the problem, its the flight software thats causing the delays, hopefully they pass testing soon saw one doing the rounds in Woodburn.
Wasn't meaning the "on-going never ending" upgrade re the RNZAF C-130s, more to the point that after 40 years of flying the centre wing spars were shagged --- would of thought that the RSAF with 50 years up on some of their C-130s must be having similar issues ??? Or is the flying the RSAF do easier on the frames ????

(Though reading on further - guess that's why the "B"s are flying as tankers ???? - easier life ?)

Re the 'J"s - referring to buying them instead of the "B" upgrade, realize that "J"s weren't around when RSAF acquired the C-130s.

Seems every one is getting on the "upgrade ya C-130" train, even the Iranians --- which begs the question, what the hell went wrong with the RNZAF upgrade -- maybe we should have gone to ST Aerospace as well :). (thought reading between the lines, the centre wing spar upgrade DIDN"T have any issues .. just the software)

Red

Official confirmation of the M-346 selection. 12 M-346s + boeing ground simulator.

MINDEF - News - New Generation Advanced Fighter Trainer for the RSAF (28 Sep 10)

12 AJTs is very few for a force size, the size of the rsaf.
You know as well I do that SAF makes purchases in batches. It is likely there will be another batch of M-346s. Plus whatvever Grunt mentioned.

That said, I dont think there will be any major military annoucements before the General Election which is expected sometime 4th quarter of this year. It cannot be too long. Otherwise, election officials might need to undergo refresher training courses. Just my own thoughts.

There should be a big one regarding air defence which is long anticipated anyway. But Im not sure if it will be this year.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
would of thought that the RSAF with 50 years up on some of their C-130s must be having similar issues ??? Or is the flying the RSAF do easier on the frames ????
I would have thought that they would be more shagged than the kiwis - after all, they have to do that aggressive climb to make sure that they don't cross over into malay airspace....

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have thought that they would be more shagged than the kiwis - after all, they have to do that aggressive climb to make sure that they don't cross over into malay airspace....
Hahaha...:el

As a former RSAF C-130H passenger, I did fly in them to go overseas and they do take a steep climb that would make a passenger jet take off look sedate - noisy as hell too (I was glad I had my ear plugs). In my case, when I was on the flight, I was under the impression that at some point, we did fly over Malaysian and Thai air space and I believe we had air traffic clearance for that.

Likewise, I think RSAF's Charlies would be at least as shagged as the Kiwi Charlies.

The SAF trains overseas, a lot, so the transport fleet is heavily tasked to support our numerous overseas exercises and it's documented that some of our Charlies and KC-135s were deployed to Iraq in support of coalition efforts in OIF.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Red

Singapore has a history of buying aircraft in small batches and adding further aircraft as the project develops.

Might be a way to keep a manufacturer honest and performing?
That could be a reason. Also, I think they want to keep such purchases under the radar of most people as much as possible. In this connection, I am not talking about the military fraternity who would be cognizant as they track such purchases. I am referring to the lay person in Singapore's neighbouring countries. So, political sensitivity is an issue which, indirectly, could affect the way neighbouring politicians behave. Not that it matters in the final analysis but the Singapore government would rather focus its attention elsewhere than be absorbed in the petty internal political dynamics of its neighbours. Later batch purchases of Singapore's F16s went practically unannounced.

Singapore has not officially acknowledged the presence of some equipment for the same reason. The old and upgraded Tempest MBT mentioned by many external defence journals comes to mind. You cannot hide some things indefinitely like the Barak anti-air missiles on board the Victory class ships or Dash helmets for python missiles, etc. I would think that if it is possible, RSAF would never declare we have AEW & C planes even.