Philippine Air Force Discussions and Updates

Ozzy Blizzard

While in general I agree with what you've posted, you're comparing stored Kfirs after being zero-houred & upgraded to Kfir 2000 configuration with off the shelf stored F-16s. Any customer would have to pay for the rework & upgrade of the Kfirs, as they would for F-16s & Mirage F.1s - but such a rework & upgrade could be done to both types, e.g. the ASTRAC Mirage F.1 upgrade for Morocco.
I would think the additional cost of the Kfir 2000 upgrade should be covered by the lower acquisition cost of the bare bones Kfir. That’s the differential between Kfir and F-16, Mirage F-1 could be a contender though.

Ozzy Blizzard

Which was very odd indeed, since they knew before they started negotiating that AMRAAM couldn't be sold by the UK, & if they want it, they have to ask the Yanks, & they'd already decided to upgrade the Sea Harriers they already had with EL/M-2032 & Derby, & could easily have extended the programme to cover the ex-RN SHARS. Indeed, it seems to have been assumed by the UK that India would do that. Blue Vixen might be better than EL/M-2032, but the latter is a good radar, & there are advantages to having the same radar & missiles on the entire fleet.
Sounds either bureaucratic or diplomatic in nature to me.

raven333

Hi to all members! I'm new here. (Please do mind my grammar. Lately I'm having trouble with my english:D)

I believe that Kfir and F-16's are both great MRF's. (But I vote for the F-16 hehehe:D). But since you are all worried about the cost (both in maintenance and purchase), also about retaining the aircraft for 15 years. etc. etc. why don't we try to look for other MRF's, like the gripen. please refer to the website below. (sorry, I cant post links as of now)

novinite.com/view_news.php?id=115242

If we could also get the same deal (or better), PAF will have a new, cheap to maintain (base from what they say, hehehe) 4+ generation multi role fighter.

gripen.com/en/GripenFighter/TheGripenFighter

MRF's can help our soldiers on the ground. If our soldier get pin down or ambush by enemy soldiers. The fastest way to help them is to send the MRF's, and air strike the enemies. Just throw a smoke grenade to the point where you want to drop the bombs. Just want to say that the Philippines could use some MRF's. I'm a PAF fan, and I believe that they deserve some good equipments.

Anyway. I'll leave all the research about the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen to the other members. hehehe.

A

Aussie Digger

Hi to all members! I'm new here. (Please do mind my grammar. Lately I'm having trouble with my english:D)

I believe that Kfir and F-16's are both great MRF's. (But I vote for the F-16 hehehe:D). But since you are all worried about the cost (both in maintenance and purchase), also about retaining the aircraft for 15 years. etc. etc. why don't we try to look for other MRF's, like the gripen. please refer to the website below. (sorry, I cant post links as of now)

novinite.com/view_news.php?id=115242

If we could also get the same deal (or better), PAF will have a new, cheap to maintain (base from what they say, hehehe) 4+ generation multi role fighter.

gripen.com/en/GripenFighter/TheGripenFighter

MRF's can help our soldiers on the ground. If our soldier get pin down or ambush by enemy soldiers. The fastest way to help them is to send the MRF's, and air strike the enemies. Just throw a smoke grenade to the point where you want to drop the bombs. Just want to say that the Philippines could use some MRF's. I'm a PAF fan, and I believe that they deserve some good equipments.

Anyway. I'll leave all the research about the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen to the other members. hehehe.
Actually, Artillery is faster AND it can be sustained and there is no reason why, in a domestic security environment, that your infantry forces should be out of artillery range at any point...

Anyway, without knowing what sort of budget is available and what sort of the threat the Phillipines Air Force is required to address, it is kind of hard to suggest what might be "best".

A UH-1H Huey I/II helicopter with rockets and mini-guns or an F-16C fighter with AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles and GBU-10/12 laser guided bombs, might be the best, depending on what you intend your force to be capable of addressing and what you can afford to maintain.

Suggesting advanced fighter jets, whether they be upgraded Kfirs, F-16's, Mirages or any other platform is all well and good, but A) What is the threat? B) What can the Phillipines afford to raise, train and sustain? C) What fits the available budget? All these questions and more, MUST be asked before any suggestion of a particular platform can be made.

One might as well suggest that the Phillipines, operate a force including F-22 Raptors (Air Defence) F-35 JSF's (multi-role and strike capability) and AH-64D Block III Apache gunships, if one doesn't bother to seriously address the above questions. Such a force will be every bit as realistic as the F-22 et al, suggestion...

raven333

Actually, Artillery is faster AND it can be sustained and there is no reason why, in a domestic security environment, that your infantry forces should be out of artillery range at any point...

Anyway, without knowing what sort of budget is available and what sort of the threat the Phillipines Air Force is required to address, it is kind of hard to suggest what might be "best".

A UH-1H Huey I/II helicopter with rockets and mini-guns or an F-16C fighter with AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles and GBU-10/12 laser guided bombs, might be the best, depending on what you intend your force to be capable of addressing and what you can afford to maintain.

Suggesting advanced fighter jets, whether they be upgraded Kfirs, F-16's, Mirages or any other platform is all well and good, but A) What is the threat? B) What can the Phillipines afford to raise, train and sustain? C) What fits the available budget? All these questions and more, MUST be asked before any suggestion of a particular platform can be made.

One might as well suggest that the Phillipines, operate a force including F-22 Raptors (Air Defence) F-35 JSF's (multi-role and strike capability) and AH-64D Block III Apache gunships, if one doesn't bother to seriously address the above questions. Such a force will be every bit as realistic as the F-22 et al, suggestion...
oh, that's a good one. but artillery has a maximum range of 24kms. And there will always be a reason why they are out of range of artillery.

anyway. please do refer to the website I just posted. It seems you don't quite understand why i suggested the gripen and you just thought i just made some random suggestion. Its about Saab offering Bulgaria Gripen fighter jets at the price of second-hand US F-16 planes. I suggested the gripen base from this news. if the PAF manage to get the same deal, then it would be a good option for the problems cited by the other members in this forum. The issue of retaining 2nd hand aircrafts for 15 years. Maintenance cost issue, SAAB keeps bragging about gripen being much cheaper to maintain than the F-16. We'll if that is true. Then Gripen will be a good options, considering if PAF get a same deal as same as Bulgaria.

Anyway, about what is the threat, well. The future itself. What if the Malaysia all of a sudden declared war to the Philippines after I send this reply. hehehe , joke. But seriously speaking. The threat itself is the future. You may never know what will happen, unless you believe in fortune teller, hehehe. But as I have said. You can always use the MRF's to support ground forces fighting rebels. if we can make use of their strengths, high speed, capable of carrying bombs. GBu's might be out because of budget. cluster bombs, or just plain old general purpose bombs like mk 82's.

gforce

Does the KFIR also has the same "fly-by-wire" technology of the F16? What is this technology by the way and will it be beneficial to have such technology especially for the Philippine Air Force?

Ozzy Blizzard

Does the KFIR also has the same "fly-by-wire" technology of the F16? What is this technology by the way and will it be beneficial to have such technology especially for the Philippine Air Force?
What fly by wire means is there is a flight control computer which actually controls the elevators, ailerons, rudder ect. The pilot is an input to that computer. It allows the platform to be designed with negative static stability which significantly improves maneuverability. The Kfir 2000 does not, to my knowledge, incorporate FBW technology.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
There's also Chinese JF-17. It may not be as advance as the western aircraft, but it should do. and it's brand new too.

gforce

There's also Chinese JF-17. It may not be as advance as the western aircraft, but it should do. and it's brand new too.
Expensive for a not so advanced aircraft compared to its western counter-parts!

The Chinese JF17 Thunder is US$ 15 million (estimated) while the Israeli KFIR is US$4.5 million.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@gforce and raven333, welcome to DT. I think a few posters have been trying to say that there are other intermediate options (like armed helicopters) for the PAF. Without advanced jet trainers (AJT) (the S211 is not adequate as a training tool for use as an AJT or lead-in fighter trainers), the PAF will not be able to induct multi-role fighters without suffering an inordinate amount of crashes. My original point in prior posts was that looking further ahead (after intermediate steps, like acquiring radars, acquiring armed helicopters and sorting out other logistics issues), the PAF should have in her future plans the desire to acquire a single engine multi-role fighter - which was what triggered the Kfir and F-16 discussions.

If PAF does not have adequate radar coverage of the Philippines, you won't know what is coming - so you will also need that on top of fighters. At an organizational level, the PAF is objectively speaking not well resourced and not very capable. You guys got to sort out your priories and get going with the basics before the PAF as an organisation can operate multi-role fighters. Adroth would be the better person to ask, if you have more questions on the current state of the PAF. He knows more details than me.

oh, that's a good one. but artillery has a maximum range of 24kms. And there will always be a reason why they are out of range of artillery.
The maximum range given by you is not only factually wrong, it is totally meaningless. When discussing artillery range, you must not only discuss the calibre of artillery used, you should also mention the type of munition used. For example, a 155mm/39 calibre heli-portable howitzer like the Pegasus has a disclosed range of 19 km with conventional munitions and 30 km with extended range munitions. A 155mm/52 calibre towed howitzer like the FH-2000 has a range of at least 42 km with extended range munitions. BTW, I can't remember the range of 105mm howitzers as Singapore has phased them out of our inventory.

Last edited:

AVBsupersonic

Unconfirmed reports about Philippine Air Force F5 Freedom fighter jets seen flying with S 211 near Basa Air base recently!
Does anyone has other information about this report if it's true???:) I thought they were decommissioned in 2005 due to their none flyable state! Maybe these are the two F5 B's that were being upgraded at that time.........
Anyway like I said if they don't want to spend big amount of money for interim fighter then we might as well have our existing F5's refurbish or upgraded, after all it's not a bad idea because almost all countries have done it as well and plan to use their F5s up to 2015+ countries like; US, TAIWAN, JORDAN, SINGAPORE, S.KOREA, SPAIN, BRAZIL, THAILAND, SWITZERLAND are still active users of the F5s and it won't be retiring pretty soon. They all know that it's cheaper affordable and economical to maintain the F5s than than other INTERIM Fighters out there and also considering it's potential like the F16s the F5 also proved itself in combat as one of the best successful light weight fighter jets in the world.
If we have it upgraded/refurbed it will add 15 years of flight hours life in them just like what all these countries did through IAI Upgrade program, while waiting for future MRFs.
Maybe it's going to be around $50+M USD to upgrade (10-12) F5s on our inventory.
There were also reports of JORDAN selling 15 F5s which were part of the last batch that were built in 1989 for only $23M USD to KENYA, JORDAN F5s were only 20 years old too bad we missed it, but PHILIPPINE govt. can check if they still have some more to sell or if the KENYA deal pushed through??;)

Last edited:

gforce

Unconfirmed reports about Philippine Air Force F5 Freedom fighter jets seen flying with S 211 near Basa Air base recently!
Does anyone has other information about this report if it's true???:) I thought they were decommissioned in 2005 due to their none flyable state! Maybe these are the two F5 B's that were being upgraded at that time.........
I have not heard or read any current news about that PAF F-5 even the sightings of the new Sokol helicopter that was ordered by the PAF. These sightings will remain unconfirmed unless they bring it to our media. Recent news about the Philippine acquisition of Israeli Cobras might be placed on hold because our new president might consider it as a "midnight purchase".

AVBsupersonic

I have not heard or read any current news about that PAF F-5 even the sightings of the new Sokol helicopter that was ordered by the PAF. These sightings will remain unconfirmed unless they bring it to our media. Recent news about the Philippine acquisition of Israeli Cobras might be placed on hold because our new president might consider it as a "midnight purchase".

Oh crap! why would he hold it when they can investigate if its a midnight purchase or not! Cobras are deadly weaponry and considering it's coming from ISRAEL which is one of the best when it comes to Military Upgrades, refurbishments, advanced weaponry and all that, they are the best!!! not to pricey like US weaponry. P 3B. Pesos for (14) AH 1 Cobra's are cheap!!:flash

gforce

Oh crap! why would he hold it when they can investigate if its a midnight purchase or not! Cobras are deadly weaponry and considering it's coming from ISRAEL which is one of the best when it comes to Military Upgrades, refurbishments, advanced weaponry and all that, they are the best!!! not to pricey like US weaponry. P 3B. Pesos for (14) AH 1 Cobra's are cheap!!:flash
I just hope it will not be on hold and I am waiting for a follow-up news about this because it is the same new president that promised to increase defense spending by up to 50% if he wins the presidency which he is already the apparent winner! We are going off the topic now. I hope we can read more opinions about the next PAF MRF aside from the potential of having Israeli KFIRs which is by now the top contender vs. surplus F16. The Philippine Air Force website is still down therefore I cannot forward this thread link to them for review if they haven't seen this discussion yet.

AVBsupersonic

B] IF WERE GOING TO BUY F16s IT'S NOT FOR INTERIM! OTHERWISE WE MIGHT AS WELL SAVE IT....

Yes the KFIR C10 w/ the right upgrade especially with regards to its combat/ferry range and armaments can match the MRF's of our neighbours and can still pose as a threat to them, this should give them something to worry about unlike not having one!!
It's not all advance technology that is important, remember without proper skills these are all worth nothing!! I believe we have one of the best talented pilots in the world and being a filipino gives it an advantage! We are recognized as a true WARRIORS!
Considering the price of the KFIR, as for interim I think it's worth it! and will add nos. to our future AIR FLEET! it's far better than S 211 or even F5's,A4 skyhawk, like I said it's an UNDERESTIMATED FIGHTER!

Guys from ATAC in US an F16 pilot testified that a KFIR can out manoeuvre an F16 falcon easy! similar issue happened on the Movie shooting behind the scenes from the Movie "IRON EAGLE " where ISRAELI Pilots where leased to fly KFIR C10's against US F16s, were the ISRAELI Fighter pilots were trying to show off and out manoeuvred the US F16s!!!

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT KFIR C10s don't have FLY BY WIRE systems like F16s!

INTERESTING INFO REGARDING THE KFIR:

kafir made in isreal built after the mirage. my
client, atac usa, of newport news, va. operates 7 of these on a navy master
contract for target tow, jamming, and threat simulation. i equipped all of
these aircraft with colllins arc-159 uhf radios , colllins arn-118 tacans,
and hazeltine apx-72 transponders.
atac bought in addition the garmin 530
gps/vhf nav and com systems. an isreali team is located in va. maintains
these aircraft for jeff parker, pres atac usa. jeff is usaf academy grad 1980
and f-16 pilot.
he selected the kafir because it will out turn an f-16 and can do mach II as
well as be purchased used from isreal for about
$200,000 much less than the f-16 which are not yet in civilian hands. he
says it turns like it is on rails. note the canard wing on the front of the
aircraft the ground crew are young ex-usaf kids both male and female who work
for atac usa.santa barbara, ca web page is balance industries for my
company cell818-370-9407

As we all know our present problems regarding SPRATLYS, Intrusions in our Areas of responsibilities, Security etc. are in need of effective immediate solutions.

Which brings as back to why the idea of acquiring the Kfir jets is a best option in my opinion, so that we can fill in the gap of our PAF with regards to training and prepare them for transitions using 4.5 to 5th generation in the future. We don't have to spend all that money in one go and at same time we can monitor the expenses on how we can properly maintain everything with regards to the budget and at same time also concentrate on getting some RADAR station set up, Missile Defenses like SAMs, Surface to air, etc. to protect our repair facilities, fuel depots and runways w/c is unprotected.

We do not have armoured fighter bays or anti-aircraft guns to deter bombings of our air facilities (and thats a general knowlege even our generals admit it!) For the small price that will pay for the Kfir and the no. of jets that were getting, will surely help us budgetary wise, will provide immediate air superiority and protection to our air space and sovereignty. let's face it PAF has a big gap to fill in and considering coming from a 3rd generation F5 :cool:fighter jet to jump into a 4.5 gen to 5th generation will be a shock.

Maintenance in accordance with the budget was always a problem for us, and its one of the things that we should sort out. As long as the budget can handle it. it's just an interim solution for us to reestablish
the PAFs air defense capability, once our air force concentrates on territorial defense and the country's economy is strong and stable, then we can acquire 4th or even 5th gen fighters.;)

Maybe a small air fleet (18-24) like KFIR JETS upgraded fighters will provide the countrya formidable and credible air force capable of defending our country against external threats, the idea of getting Modern fighter like 4.5 gen JAS 39 GRIPEN is the best option on a yearly basis. for me I wouldn't get F-16, F-18's because they are the ones to be phased out by the time F-35 LIGHTNING and F-22 RAPTOR comes out for the market.

2011-2012+ (18) IAI KFIR C10- as main air fleet until GRIPEN arrives, then
after as support and interim fighter.
2012 (6) JAS GRIPEN -first batch (6) of (16)- to replace Kfir as main air fleet.
2014-2022 (6) JAS GRIPEN -second batch (6) of (16)-as main air superior fleet.
2016-2022 (4) JAS GRIPEN -third batch (4) of (16)

2016-2022- possible saving options and preparations for acquiring (6)-5th generation stealth fighter jets like F-22 RAPTOR, F-35 LIGHTNING. CALL IT A DREAM, But anything is possible if we believe, and have the will to do it!;)
[/B]

Last edited:

gforce

B] We don't have to spend all that money in one go and at same time we can monitor the expenses on how we can properly maintain everything with regards to the budget and at same time also concentrate on getting some RADAR station set up, Missile Defenses like SAMs, Surface to air, etc. to protect our repair facilities, fuel depots and runways w/c is unprotected.

We do not have armoured fighter bays or anti-aircraft guns to deter bombings of our air facilities (and thats a general knowlege even our generals admit it!).
The Philippine Military has 40mm Bofors ADA guns mounted on trucks that were originally taken from decommissioned Philippine Navy ships for Air Defense aside from the PAF S211 trainer jets. They also borrow radar support from civilian airports because they don't have their own yet.

The MNLF/MILF which is the Islamic insurgency from the Southern Philippines are rumored to still have MANPADS in their arsenal which they got from Libya. They are also planning to upgrade their locally-manufactured RPGs to be used against aircraft. They also have powerful 50 caliber machine guns that they use to fire on low-flying targets.

STURM

The MNLF/MILF which is the Islamic insurgency from the Southern Philippines are rumored to still have MANPADS in their arsenal which they got from Libya. They are also planning to upgrade their locally-manufactured RPGs to be used against aircraft. They also have powerful 50 caliber machine guns that they use to fire on low-flying targets.
Though there have been instances of guerilla groups obtaining commercial batteries to extend the life of their MANPADS it is doubtful that any MANPADS delivered in the 80's or 90's by Libya to the MNLF/MILF are still operational. Apart from difficulty in obtaining new stocks, I think the non-operational status of MANPADs due to expired batteries and damage resulting from prolonged storage in the field is the reason why in recent years there has been a decrease of MANPADs usage in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Iraq.

Off-topic but if I'm not mistaken the term MANPADS has largely been replaced by
''very-short range air defence systems'' [V-SHORADS], just like how RPVs are now UAVs... :) or I could be mistaken.

They are also planning to upgrade their locally-manufactured RPGs to be used against aircraft.
Have there been any photos showing RPG-7s in the hands of the MNLF/MILF /ASG? As adroth pointed out in another thread it is the BR-40 that seems to be in use and even then these are cobbled together for the benefit of the cameras. Also, has there ever been an attempt in the past by the MNLF/MILF to target an aircraft with a MANPADS or BR-40/RPG?

Last edited:

gforce

Have there been any photos showing RPG-7s in the hands of the MNLF/MILF /ASG? As adroth pointed out in another thread it is the BR-40 that seems to be in use and even then these are cobbled together for the benefit of the cameras.
I saw a picture in a local newspaper and also from the MILF website - MILF Central Committee on Information Official Website

Also, has there ever been an attempt in the past by the MNLF/MILF to target an aircraft with a MANPADS or BR-40/RPG?
A PAF F-86 Sabre jet was shot down by MNLF SA-7 MANPADS -- I read this in Adroth's Timawa.net Forum

Also see Philippines since 1945 for other aircraft casualties.

Last edited:

Crunchy

The PAF should get some UAV. The Filipino goverment should buy some Herons from Isreal or Predators (with Hellfire missiles) from the US.
Those might be quicker to get into operational status and have a smaller logistics-footprint.
Lost of aircraft does't mean lost of pilot. Those UAV are probably more useful against the rebels in the South. Also learning to use UAV might be more useful in the long-term with many countries very slowly moving towards UAVs/UCAVs. Those UAV can also be used for maritime patrol and aid in the Filipino forces on the Spratley Islands.
IMHO The combat-jet train has left the PAF behind, but the AFP can still hoop on the UAV train.

AVBsupersonic

Eurofighter Typhoon possible for PAF

EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON POSSIBLE OPTION FOR PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE MRF!

I found this article Re;

Gripen, Typhoon hang on in Romanian dogfight

17 May 2010

The prospective fortunes of the contenders for Romania's fighter requirement, the Saab JAS 39C/D Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon, were revitalised on 11 May when they re-presented their prospective bids in Bucharest at the behest of the Romanian parliament.

This was despite the 23 March recommendation of the Supreme Council for National Defence (CSAT), led by the country's president, Traian Basescu, that Romania purchase 24 second-hand Lockheed Martin F-16A/Bs for USD1.3 billion.

The Gripen bid was led by the Swedish Defence Materiel Organisation (FMV) as a government-to-government offer, while Italy's Finmeccanica took the lead for Eurofighter. Lockheed Martin was also invited to re-present its bid but stated it needed more time to prepare.

The Swedish offer to Romania – the delivery of 24 new JAS 39C/Ds for EUR1 billion (USD1.25 billion) matching the price of the second-hand F-16s – was initially made on 14 April and mirrors what it has offered neighbouring Bulgaria.

" Eurofighter, meanwhile, has also matched the price of the F-16s, offering 24 aircraft from the Italian Air Force's Typhoon inventory. Twenty-four second-hand Typhoons for EUR1 billion is a competitive price, given that Austria paid EUR1.75 billion for 15 nearly new ex-German Typhoons." ( http://www.janes.com/news/defence/air/jdw/...00517_1_n.shtml )

Just arrived in UK last week for a tour and visited some friends, just had a very nice almost close encounter experience last Saturday at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk UK with a Eurofighter typhoon doing a low flyby, to my amazement I forgot to take pictures or even a quick video! it was an awesome experience!!!! When I got home did some research on the web and I found this article, and a very nice video of the Eurofighter Typhoon please check it out! Just type = ( Eurofighter Typhoon Nothing Comes Close HD ) on You Tube! or ( [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEDSI1nf3E[/nomedia] )

I think this is one good option for us to consider as well, considering the Eurofighter's advanced capabilities, it's one step closer to 5th generation technology and a perfect way to claim our Glory as one of Asia's finest Air Force!
:)

Last edited: