NZDF General discussion thread

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm not "insulting" the operators (yourself included) and never would (NZDF in general really), in fact have nothing but the utmost respect and pride for the former squadron and fully understand how professional and regarded they were. Keyword were. I'm talking about a return to that specific capability WRT now, not from 20 years ago. It's abit like I how respect the kiwi bomber crews and bombers of WWII but I don't see the point in bringing back a bomber squadron.
First of all claiming that they were "Boys club"would only be viewed by participants as insulting, however I will view this as unintentional.
To clear up,
I was surprised by your lack of understanding of the term Freedom and Sovereignty as I would think most on this site would understand this, I did write an explanation several posts back, maybe you missed it when doing some editing or something.
The name Defence Forces I have no issue with, I was asking for your take on it. however I would think that you could read up on the 5 principles that the government requires the Defence forces to operate by. One of them includes the phase To defend New Zealand from external aggression.
To clear up my view of Defence, I view it as a form of insurance on our freedom and sovereignty, much like I insure my house and with my house I don't know if or when the remote possibility happens that it is destroyed, say by fire or earthquake, but I think it prudent to insure my biggest asset to cover this possibility. My view on defence is the same, I think it is prudent to cover the remote possibility that we may be threatened in the future, when or if this possibility occurs is an unknown, but if it does with our present setup then the result will be catastrophic.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@RegR

If you look at the 1980's NZ had a well-balanced defence, where the Army recognized the importance of artillery, close air support etc. There were off course limitations in capability to responding to any crisis in the Pacific as the Fiji Coup highlighted. The end of the Cold War brought about a peace dividend some of which was to be expected through the consolidation of bases like Te Rapa and the loss of Hobonsville. However Treasury seem (and continues to want) to take it to extreme levels, that played into the hands of strategically shortsighted politicians.

I have increasingly come to the view that was fully demonstrated by Project Protector that failed to deliver ships really suitable for the intended tasks in the Southern Ocean or supporting army operations, through a limited budget and a Prime Minister who bowed whole heartly to the peace movement, instead of job their job thinking about the long-term strategic reality. In reality the concept of a full Peace Dividend for NZ was a myth, given how small the NZDF was and the quickly emerging realities of the 1st Gulf War and Bosnia. That said the army at the time has to take some of the blame in its capital Acquistions and subsequent management as exemplified by the excess LAV and failure to maintain the Mistral in service.

NZ needs to get back to balanced capability and an Air Combat Force forms a key component of that. I would do things different by establishing joint fast jet training with Australia (including costs) and ensure we have a dedicated Air Refueling Resource in MRTT - given the increasingly distance need to get to a maritime enemy given the use of cruise missiles etc. One of the reasons I support an ACF is because I do not subscribe to the naive view that New Zealand can never be attacked (and I distinguish between attacked and invaded). If anything, the Falklands war demonstrated how quickly a well-equipped and resourced military can assemble and deploy a maritime force for combat operations from the sea. Our ability to neutralize / hinder / deter can only come from been able to project maritime power forward in some form or another which is where the twin capabilities of Surface Combatants / Maritime Strike join together. I will acknowledge up front our capability will always be limited, but you can't just cobble things together today (just look at the length of time it has taken for the Ukrainians to retrain to F-16)

Nighthawk.NZ

That said the army at the time has to take some of the blame in its capital Acquistions and subsequent management as exemplified by the excess LAV and failure to maintain the Mistral in service.
To be completely fair the army didn't want 105 LAVIII's they only wanted about 80 at the time

RegR

First of all claiming that they were "Boys club"would only be viewed by participants as insulting, however I will view this as unintentional.
To clear up,
I was surprised by your lack of understanding of the term Freedom and Sovereignty as I would think most on this site would understand this, I did write an explanation several posts back, maybe you missed it when doing some editing or something.
The name Defence Forces I have no issue with, I was asking for your take on it. however I would think that you could read up on the 5 principles that the government requires the Defence forces to operate by. One of them includes the phase To defend New Zealand from external aggression.
To clear up my view of Defence, I view it as a form of insurance on our freedom and sovereignty, much like I insure my house and with my house I don't know if or when the remote possibility happens that it is destroyed, say by fire or earthquake, but I think it prudent to insure my biggest asset to cover this possibility. My view on defence is the same, I think it is prudent to cover the remote possibility that we may be threatened in the future, when or if this possibility occurs is an unknown, but if it does with our present setup then the result will be catastrophic.
Do we not have freedom and sovereignty? And have we lost it in the last 20 years? No? I understand what it is just not how you think it is acheived, managed or maintained. Via a squadron of jets.

Ahh the old insurance terminology, a classic. Thing is insurance doesnt prevent your house being burnt down, stop your car being stolen or bring you back to life, it rebuilds your house, replaces your car and pays for your funeral and expenses after you have died, hopefully. That would be like me as a homeowner buying my own fire engine and paying a crew 24/7 to sit in my front yard, on the off chance my home catches fire. I can't afford that these days, in fact I never really could unless of course I wanted to stop feeding my kids, paying for power, maintaining the house, keeping internet going etc etc etc(the list of bills is neverending and rising). Priorities if you will.

There are a few other more cost effective capabilities and measures I could spend money on without blowing the budget and therefore having to make sacrifices instead such as smoke alarms, a water supply, fire extinguisher, cameras, just not being an idiot with fire etc.... I know not as flashy and cool as the fire engine c/w crew on the front lawn (which a fire would not care about anyway to start) and bar a full scale inferno (which has never happened) alot more practical, affordable and even more likely to be used instead.

As an aside I know alot of people without insurance, (due to cost, size, budget etc) and they are doing just fine living in their homes. Its as if they weighed it up based on likelihood and took other more reasonable measures to mitigate instead as let's be honest insurance doesn't prevent your house burning down and actually doesn't even cover it fully depending on what policy you pay for, which for some is the most basic anyway, but it's insurance right?

Now apply that insurance analogy to an ACF.

RegR

@RegR

If you look at the 1980's NZ had a well-balanced defence, where the Army recognized the importance of artillery, close air support etc. There were off course limitations in capability to responding to any crisis in the Pacific as the Fiji Coup highlighted. The end of the Cold War brought about a peace dividend some of which was to be expected through the consolidation of bases like Te Rapa and the loss of Hobonsville. However Treasury seem (and continues to want) to take it to extreme levels, that played into the hands of strategically shortsighted politicians.

I have increasingly come to the view that was fully demonstrated by Project Protector that failed to deliver ships really suitable for the intended tasks in the Southern Ocean or supporting army operations, through a limited budget and a Prime Minister who bowed whole heartly to the peace movement, instead of job their job thinking about the long-term strategic reality. In reality the concept of a full Peace Dividend for NZ was a myth, given how small the NZDF was and the quickly emerging realities of the 1st Gulf War and Bosnia. That said the army at the time has to take some of the blame in its capital Acquistions and subsequent management as exemplified by the excess LAV and failure to maintain the Mistral in service.

NZ needs to get back to balanced capability and an Air Combat Force forms a key component of that. I would do things different by establishing joint fast jet training with Australia (including costs) and ensure we have a dedicated Air Refueling Resource in MRTT - given the increasingly distance need to get to a maritime enemy given the use of cruise missiles etc. One of the reasons I support an ACF is because I do not subscribe to the naive view that New Zealand can never be attacked (and I distinguish between attacked and invaded). If anything, the Falklands war demonstrated how quickly a well-equipped and resourced military can assemble and deploy a maritime force for combat operations from the sea. Our ability to neutralize / hinder / deter can only come from been able to project maritime power forward in some form or another which is where the twin capabilities of Surface Combatants / Maritime Strike join together. I will acknowledge up front our capability will always be limited, but you can't just cobble things together today (just look at the length of time it has taken for the Ukrainians to retrain to F-16)
Yes but then even the 1980s were different to now would we not agree? As in different times... you used the Fijian coup as an example (at least it's in our region, I won't even get into you using the Ukranian example as I would literally get shot down for bringing it up) so my question is what would the skyhawks have done in that situation different to any of our other capabilities from that era anyway? It didn't detter the coup so its as if even Fijians would not care if we had an ACF or not. The fact we couldn't respond is precisely because we had prioritised in the wrong areas ie spent funding on ACF instead of sealift AND this was in the 80s when we were apparently funded and well balanced?

The reason we could afford project protector in the first place was BECAUSE we now had funding freed up from axing the ACF and the perceived southern ocean or army support options are rather moot as before that they were even more limited, non-exsistant even but was 100% better than what it replaced at least. I don't actually think we did have a well balanced force back then, it was geared towards a set niche direction that we barely did back then and definately do not do now and which as you say, the likes of Bosnia and gulf war occurred and STILL showed our shortcomings at even that! (Again you mentioned these theatres not me for anyone reading)...

Of course any country can be "attacked" but then it's the likelihood of which that then dictates any, if any, response/reactions/soloutions to counter and I just do not think a squadron of jets for NZ is that soloutions all things considered, funding, priorities, practicality, capability and even history. People seem to think funding an ACF would improve our defence force whereas I feel not only will it add little to no overall value to our already beleaguered forces and in fact drag them backwards, again. If funding was never ending, plentiful and readily available then sure, why not, go for gold, but it isn't is it, even now and tbh it's not looking very good even with all this attention, promises and boosting from the govt and with the country in not much better shape I can't for the life of me understand how some somehow think an ACF is going to be any higher on their list of things to do??

RegR

To be completely fair the army didn't want 105 LAVIII's they only wanted about 80 at the time
The 105 LAVs were to motorise both battalions instead of essentially 1 like we had back in the M113 days (and ironically have reverted back to now). Considering we originally had 78 M113s and 26 scorpions the numbers, even covering the old orbat, would have been similar anyway so numbers of were not the issue.

The main issue then, as with now, was manning as in we could not maintain enough trained crews to actually operate a fleet of 105 so obviously some had to be parked up anyway. The comparitively simple m113 required 2 crew each vs the vastly more technical LAV requiring 3 each (which in a small army makes a huge difference), never mind support pers. Easier to man/maintain 1 squadron in 1 location than it is 2 squadrons in 2, and even then QA are still falling short.

Agreed would have been easier to have stuck with the original battle taxi arrangement rather then essentially everyone gets a LAV therefore obviously a lesser number of LAV required but ultimately it was a failed (to meet) policy not equipment selection that let them down in the end. The theory was there just the reality wasnt and much like today you can't force people to join to fill the slots so units/capability has to adjust accordingly by default.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Do we not have freedom and sovereignty? And have we lost it in the last 20 years? No? I understand what it is just not how you think it is acheived, managed or maintained.
You you said on Luasnm's post about the 1980's that times have changed, yet you refer to the past yourself and again times have changed and the world is a far more strategically active and dangerous now than 20 years ago.
Ahh the old insurance terminology,
You deride this quote without logical reason, then go off ranting about fire engines on the front lawn, what they have got to do with our defence I don't know.
The current reality is that the world is now a far more dangerous place than it was 20 years ago and yes times have changed. I did ask you how were we to defend our selves should the worse happen and to date while you have been busy deriding others, have yet to come up with a logical explanation your self.
I do agree with you that under the current government it is unlikely that an air combat unit would be formed.
I would suggest that a less emotive more logical approach.

Last edited:

RegR

You you said on Luasnm's post about the 1980's that times have changed, yet you refer to the past yourself and again times have changed and the world is a far more strategically active and dangerous now than 20 years ago.

You deride this quote without logical reason, then go off ranting about fire engines on the front lawn, what they have got to do with our defence I don't know.
The current reality is that the world is now a far more dangerous place than it was 20 years ago and yes times have changed. I did ask you how were we to defend our selves should the worse happen and to date while you have been busy deriding others, have yet to come up with a logical explanation your self.
I do agree with you that under the current government it is unlikely that an air combat unit would be formed.
I would suggest that a less emotive more logical approach.
You think the world is more dangerous now? How so? Wars? Terrorists? Military build ups? Countries disagreeing with each others policies? See if you can guess when/where in the world I am referring to...

So what's different exactly for NZ?

You seem to think we need a specific jet response to defend NZ from what I can only assume is a specific threat but you are yet to explain from what, who, how or even why? I don't need to provide logical reasons why we don't need fighter jets, we don't have fighter jets. You seem to be missing the point, you need to provide logical reasons why we do and hate to say it but by just saying the world is "more" dangerous doesn't quite cut it unless of course we are going to buy these for the world?

Lets get this straight, I'm not arguing why we shouldn't have jets, that's already done and dusted, a long time ago and counting. The fact nothing has happened is literally only compounding the matter. It's you who are advocating for their return therefore it's you who needs to provide the literal reasons why specifically, not theoretically, but specifically (I've only been asking for clear cut actual reasons since, forever!), and tea leaf reading is not a valid argument for such a specific one dimensional capability response. Hopefully I'll get a better answer(s) next decade?

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You think the world is more dangerous now? How so? Wars? Terrorists? Military build ups? Countries disagreeing with each others policies? See if you can guess when/where in the world I am referring to...

You seem to think we need a specific jet response to defend NZ from what I can only assume is a specific threat but you are yet to explain from what, who, how or even why? I don't need to provide logical reasons why we don't need fighter jets, we don't have fighter jets. You seem to be missing the point, you need to provide logical reasons why we do and hate to say it but by just saying the world is "more" dangerous doesn't quite cut it unless of course we are going to buy these for the world?

Lets get this straight, I'm not arguing why we shouldn't have jets, that's already done and dusted, a long time ago and counting. The fact nothing has happened is literally only compounding the matter. It's you who are advocating for their return therefore it's you who needs to provide the literal reasons why specifically, not theoretically, but specifically (I've only been asking for clear cut actual reasons since, forever!), and tea leaf reading is not a valid argument for such a specific one dimensional capability response. Hopefully I'll get a better answer(s) next decade?
You have already been told what the capabilities are of strike aircraft, these are actual capabilities , proven the world over. they are not theoretical and calling them one dimensional just highlights a lack understanding of capabilities, and your rather sarcastic abrasive approach and ignoring factors at whim which you probably don't have an answer to is less than helpful.
Your constant demands for information of what can only be found in the future is totally non logical
I also note no attempt by you to offer a positive logical alternative but always negatively critiquing those that do, very negative.
If you think that we will never ever face the possibility of a threat I would offer a comment , but it would be rude so we won't go there.
I would offer a possible reason for a threat to NZ and there are others. Should a power want to take Australia, we would be the obvious location with the necessary logistics for an American reinvasion to take back Australia and any invader of Australia would know of this threat and want to eliminate it. A recent UN document I read stated that the world would have a significant shortfall in both food and water by the mid 2040's and guess what we have a surplus of. Hungry mouths put pressure on politicians. The possibilities of the future are endless and to bury our heads in the sand and say it won't happen to us is far from helpful. If you can tell me that you can see accurately into the future and we will never be threatened, perhaps you can supply me with next Saturdays Loto numbers, as forseeing a few days ahead would be a doddle.
As for the world being more dangerous the Defence review which is to release the DCP soon said that last year and the then Labour Minister of Defence said in a press release afterwards the the NZ defence forces were not fit for purpose. It was on both major TV news channels

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

I cannot speak for others, but responses like this come off as both emotive and illogical, at least to me. This is compounded by what is either an ignorance of the larger world beyond 'just' NZ, or an awareness coupled with a decision to ignore what is or has happened elsewhere.

At present the NZDF seems to be both under resourced and over tasked, and from my POV these are neither recent developments or accidents, but rather the result of deliberate choices made by successive gov'ts for several decades at this point. Now I am nowhere nearly as well versed as some on NZ's political and economic history, but is seems that the current rather sad state of the NZDF seems to have been mostly the result of ideologically-driven choices, albeit with some economics reasons (Asian financial crisis of 1997, etc.) as well. It has also been my observation that when decisions are made for ideological reasons, very often that reasoning is either not logical, or conflates facts or circumstances to support the chosen outcome. This is not just an NZ phenomenon BTW but rather something I have noticed for years occurring all over the place. People or decision makers want XYZ to happen or be done, and then work backwards from that to support the necessary decisions.

Now restoring the ACF is honestly not something I would put at the top of a list of what the NZDF needs, which is not the same as there not being any valid arguments for the RNZAF having an ACF or at some point reconstituting the ACF. However, the old arguments that the ACF (at least when kitted with the A-4 Skyhawks) was never used in anger, or the subsequent arguments that nothing has required a fast jet response since, and therefore there continues to be no need or relevance for an ACF in the NZDF is factually inaccurate. One must remember that Australia has deployed F/A-18 fighters to NZ, so that NZ Army personnel could train and exercise with close air support ahead of deployments to Afghanistan, and this needed to happen for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the NZ Army personnel who would be getting deployed needed the practice, so that they would be able to safely and effectively make use of the close air support which was available over Afghanistan during their deployment. Without the exercise taking place, the NZ deployment would have been at greater risk because they would have been less able to make use of the resources available in theatre. The NZ deployment would therefore have been both more vulnerable to attack by the Taliban and other hostiles, as well as more likely to cause fratricides or blue-on-blue strikes. Another possible outcome if the exercises had not taken place would have been for NZ to get told, "thanks, but no thanks," as other nations declined offers of Kiwi units due to their limited experience with modern combined arms warfare.

Secondly, the RAAF deployment had to happen because NZ had no ability to engage in such training on its own because the NZDF no longer has either the personnel or kit to provide such training opportunities. Given the increased importance of being able to conduct combined arms operations, a defence force which not only lacks one of the combat arms elements, but also the ability to train with or against that type of combat element is going to be distinctly limited in capabilities. Now there are certainly a number of other arguments for an ACF aside from 'just' the training argument, but it does seem as though many do dismiss this one routinely.

I also wish to go further with some of the thinking (or at least what seems to be the thinking) behind why the NZDF has lost some capabilities and/or has yet to acquire replacements for other existing capabilities. This seems to be an area where the fallacy, "it has not been used, so NZ does not need it," makes recurring appearances.

Aside from the ACF, another example of this would be the state of the NZ Army's air defence capabilities specifically, and the NZDF air defence capabilities generally. As it stands currently, the RNZN has limited air defence capabilities aboard the two upgraded ANZAC-class frigates, whilst everything else in the NZDF inventory has trashfire or otherwise rely upon other units for air defence.

Now consider taking that fallacious argument even further. Now suppose that the NZDF has not had to engage with an adversary who has an armoured vehicle or perhaps hardened bunker in the last ten or twenty years. If this situation was the case, then some might argue that the NZDF has no need for ATGW's like Javelin. At this point, how relevant would Kiwi forces be in a threat environment? At some point, Kiwi forces will find themselves no longer relevant or capable if situations like this continue. If the NZDF becomes irrelevant (to outside actors) then NZ will have even less ability to act in it's strategic interests and would be at the whim of others.

Lastly (for now, getting tired) an ACF is quite literally not;
a specific one dimensional capability response.
since it provides three dimensional capabilities coupled with the potential to response with speed and over great distances. The ability to do so could be important for NZ in the future, since that could enable NZ to respond to threats to NZ's interests faster/earlier and/or whilst they are much more distant from NZ.

Speaking more broadly than NZ having an ACF again, there would be value in NZ having the ability to deploy and operate the NZDF away from NZ proper. Whether it were operating in a threat/threatened area like the eastern Med, Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean, the Malacca Strait, SCS, or having the NZDF take over operations for another nation in an area so that they can redeploy to a threat area, these are all ways that NZ can have influence over NZ's strategic interests. However, keeping the NZDF small/shrinking, whilst either not replacing dated kit/capabilities or just retiring them without replacement will leave the NZDF ill-equipped and ill-training if and when NZ does find it's interests threatened.

RegR

You have already been told what the capabilities are of strike aircraft, these are actual capabilities , proven the world over. they are not theoretical and calling them one dimensional just highlights a lack understanding of capabilities, and your rather sarcastic abrasive approach and ignoring factors at whim which you probably don't have an answer to is less than helpful.
Your constant demands for information of what can only be found in the future is totally non logical
I also note no attempt by you to offer a positive logical alternative but always negatively critiquing those that do, very negative.
If you think that we will never ever face the possibility of a threat I would offer a comment , but it would be rude so we won't go there.
I would offer a possible reason for a threat to NZ and there are others. Should a power want to take Australia, we would be the obvious location with the necessary logistics for an American reinvasion to take back Australia and any invader of Australia would know of this threat and want to eliminate it. A recent UN document I read stated that the world would have a significant shortfall in both food and water by the mid 2040's and guess what we have a surplus of. Hungry mouths put pressure on politicians. The possibilities of the future are endless and to bury our heads in the sand and say it won't happen to us is far from helpful. If you can tell me that you can see accurately into the future and we will never be threatened, perhaps you can supply me with next Saturdays Loto numbers, as forseeing a few days ahead would be a doddle.
Again, I already know what strike aircraft do. And again, Im not asking what the world does with strike aircraft, I'm asking what NZ will do with strike aircraft. Now we are suggesting we are going to be a base for the US to re- invade Australia after they have been invaded themselves even though there are any number of countries, islands, oceans, seas between not only us and the US, Australia and the US and Australia and any potential invader?? Let me guess, they're all going to need strike aircraft right? Well that's your logic, Fiji, PNG, Timor Leste and any number of locations now need strike aircraft as they are all potential targets correct. If the US thought that was an issue then wouldnt they base a squadron here, anything really, much like they do everywhere else in the world Australia included? Or better yet like Ive said donate said squadron to NZ, much like they do/are doing elsewhere in the world? Guess they dont think we are as strategic as you think we are even though they do this daily all over the planet.

I read a report that the seas are rising, viruses are growing and the world is ending as well, along with running out of fossil fuels, limited minerals and depleted fish supplies and any number of worldwide commodoties. We need a fleet of submarines, a couple of aircraft carriers and 100 MBTs because we are an island nation and guess what we have an abundance of, ocean. I also have far out scenarios.

Luckily for us we send the bulk of that food and water overseas as it is, almost as if it's our biggest trade even or shock already owned by these so called overseas powers anyway so they dont actually have to come and take it rather just come and collect it. NZ isn't the only country on the planet with food and water and I would hardly say we have an "abundance", we have alot for our size yes but any world shortage would have had a comensurate effect on our supplies long before then as that's the thing with food, it has a shelf life and is affected by outside influences like over harvest, storms, droughts, disease and it's not like oil where we can just squirrel it away and build up vast reserves in secret bunkers. Also for a country that has an abundance of food and water we sure do pay a premium for it, hopefully it will get cheaper and more readily available once the world shortage kicks in huh?? Well, we got 20 years to see at least...according to reports anyway.

RegR

I cannot speak for others, but responses like this come off as both emotive and illogical, at least to me. This is compounded by what is either an ignorance of the larger world beyond 'just' NZ, or an awareness coupled with a decision to ignore what is or has happened elsewhere.

At present the NZDF seems to be both under resourced and over tasked, and from my POV these are neither recent developments or accidents, but rather the result of deliberate choices made by successive gov'ts for several decades at this point. Now I am nowhere nearly as well versed as some on NZ's political and economic history, but is seems that the current rather sad state of the NZDF seems to have been mostly the result of ideologically-driven choices, albeit with some economics reasons (Asian financial crisis of 1997, etc.) as well. It has also been my observation that when decisions are made for ideological reasons, very often that reasoning is either not logical, or conflates facts or circumstances to support the chosen outcome. This is not just an NZ phenomenon BTW but rather something I have noticed for years occurring all over the place. People or decision makers want XYZ to happen or be done, and then work backwards from that to support the necessary decisions.

Now restoring the ACF is honestly not something I would put at the top of a list of what the NZDF needs, which is not the same as there not being any valid arguments for the RNZAF having an ACF or at some point reconstituting the ACF. However, the old arguments that the ACF (at least when kitted with the A-4 Skyhawks) was never used in anger, or the subsequent arguments that nothing has required a fast jet response since, and therefore there continues to be no need or relevance for an ACF in the NZDF is factually inaccurate. One must remember that Australia has deployed F/A-18 fighters to NZ, so that NZ Army personnel could train and exercise with close air support ahead of deployments to Afghanistan, and this needed to happen for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the NZ Army personnel who would be getting deployed needed the practice, so that they would be able to safely and effectively make use of the close air support which was available over Afghanistan during their deployment. Without the exercise taking place, the NZ deployment would have been at greater risk because they would have been less able to make use of the resources available in theatre. The NZ deployment would therefore have been both more vulnerable to attack by the Taliban and other hostiles, as well as more likely to cause fratricides or blue-on-blue strikes. Another possible outcome if the exercises had not taken place would have been for NZ to get told, "thanks, but no thanks," as other nations declined offers of Kiwi units due to their limited experience with modern combined arms warfare.

Secondly, the RAAF deployment had to happen because NZ had no ability to engage in such training on its own because the NZDF no longer has either the personnel or kit to provide such training opportunities. Given the increased importance of being able to conduct combined arms operations, a defence force which not only lacks one of the combat arms elements, but also the ability to train with or against that type of combat element is going to be distinctly limited in capabilities. Now there are certainly a number of other arguments for an ACF aside from 'just' the training argument, but it does seem as though many do dismiss this one routinely.

I also wish to go further with some of the thinking (or at least what seems to be the thinking) behind why the NZDF has lost some capabilities and/or has yet to acquire replacements for other existing capabilities. This seems to be an area where the fallacy, "it has not been used, so NZ does not need it," makes recurring appearances.

Aside from the ACF, another example of this would be the state of the NZ Army's air defence capabilities specifically, and the NZDF air defence capabilities generally. As it stands currently, the RNZN has limited air defence capabilities aboard the two upgraded ANZAC-class frigates, whilst everything else in the NZDF inventory has trashfire or otherwise rely upon other units for air defence.

Now consider taking that fallacious argument even further. Now suppose that the NZDF has not had to engage with an adversary who has an armoured vehicle or perhaps hardened bunker in the last ten or twenty years. If this situation was the case, then some might argue that the NZDF has no need for ATGW's like Javelin. At this point, how relevant would Kiwi forces be in a threat environment? At some point, Kiwi forces will find themselves no longer relevant or capable if situations like this continue. If the NZDF becomes irrelevant (to outside actors) then NZ will have even less ability to act in it's strategic interests and would be at the whim of others.

Lastly (for now, getting tired) an ACF is quite literally not;

since it provides three dimensional capabilities coupled with the potential to response with speed and over great distances. The ability to do so could be important for NZ in the future, since that could enable NZ to respond to threats to NZ's interests faster/earlier and/or whilst they are much more distant from NZ.

Speaking more broadly than NZ having an ACF again, there would be value in NZ having the ability to deploy and operate the NZDF away from NZ proper. Whether it were operating in a threat/threatened area like the eastern Med, Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean, the Malacca Strait, SCS, or having the NZDF take over operations for another nation in an area so that they can redeploy to a threat area, these are all ways that NZ can have influence over NZ's strategic interests. However, keeping the NZDF small/shrinking, whilst either not replacing dated kit/capabilities or just retiring them without replacement will leave the NZDF ill-equipped and ill-training if and when NZ does find it's interests threatened.
So I'll just use one of your points (I'm getting tired as well...) So your argument is for us to aqquire jets just to train JTACs for an overseas mission in which we are there literally to support an ally in their overall mission (as in Afghanistan was not a NZ idea) with a group of allies? Now I would assume we would get at least some support to conduct a mission like this considering it's not our idea to begin with and we don't ask to go (quite the opposite actually) but then countries dont or ask us to go for our equipment do they? So rather than spend a ship load of money on a capability just for this (FAC) we work together? (Strange concept I know) As an aside we've also used 4 squadron PC-21s to do the exact same thing so why not just buy those, better yet buy/convert our own Texans at considerably less cost and do it ourselves but then I think you will find this is as much training/exchange/relations for said squadrons for something they are going to do anyway and actually working with other countries IS part of their build up as well as ours benefiting all nations involved in some respect, just like we would do/have done on previous missions, otherwise like you say, we just wouldn't be there. Point being we are not going to fund a $billion asset for a couple of courses to sign off a handful of guys to support an international missions specialist requirement in which we are voluntarily involved regardless of whose overall benefit it is for.

All I am saying is we literally have bigger priorities with more tangible outputs than to be funding a single response to a pretty extreme and unlikely threat on what if maybe scenarios that have no guarantee of a successoul out come anyway as any country with the ability to mount an attack/invasion all the way down here and not only conduct, support and sustain such an operation can literally be counted on one hand, and half of them are our allies! So the likelihood of such an endeavour is half the reason the decision to axe that particular capability (ACF) in the first place! And this isn't even taking into account for what actual reason any country would do this? Its all well and good saying we dont spend enough on defence as it is, which is the reality (and I'm not debating this) but then suggesting that by somehow adding a strike wing back into the mix is going to improve, help, alleviate this is exactly how we got into this situation in the first place, by trying to fund everything and watering it down to essentially nothing useful. Bigger fish to fry on the world scale like WWIII in the SCS not some offshoot invasion of NZ mainland and that goes for everyone, hate to downplay our importance/relevance in the scheme of things but no one actually cares about NZ, actual.

Gracie1234

RegR, could you please share what you see are the future outputs that need to be responded to and what capabilities you believe are feasible for a country our size to generate?
While I would believe that a Strike Wing would be desirable, due to the utility and range of effects that can be generated combined with its deployability and ease of integration into a wider force. I see that we would be more likely to achieve similar outcomes with unmanned craft. They are cheaper, easier to train, and disposable. The biggest risk I see is that these will not be platforms that we would keep for 30 years.
The priority for the Services at the moment is their people.
The major change I see is how we understand what is happening in the area of interest with the use of technology and incorporating what is being learnt in Ukraine. The impact of surveillance capabilities (all of them including phones), data fusion from multiple sources, AI to interpret the data into actionable insights.
The second change that I see, is the extension in range of strike and what that means to how we protect against it.
The third area crosses over to non-military and impacts where we live. Cyber operations of all sorts. This is being done by countries and criminals. Case in point. Events have occurred in the country recently that have resulted in people's lives being cut shorter than if the event had not occurred. This is the area that would start if another country wanted to make trouble, some might say it has always been happening.

RegR

RegR, could you please share what you see are the future outputs that need to be responded to and what capabilities you believe are feasible for a country our size to generate?
While I would believe that a Strike Wing would be desirable, due to the utility and range of effects that can be generated combined with its deployability and ease of integration into a wider force. I see that we would be more likely to achieve similar outcomes with unmanned craft. They are cheaper, easier to train, and disposable. The biggest risk I see is that these will not be platforms that we would keep for 30 years.
The priority for the Services at the moment is their people.
The major change I see is how we understand what is happening in the area of interest with the use of technology and incorporating what is being learnt in Ukraine. The impact of surveillance capabilities (all of them including phones), data fusion from multiple sources, AI to interpret the data into actionable insights.
The second change that I see, is the extension in range of strike and what that means to how we protect against it.
The third area crosses over to non-military and impacts where we live. Cyber operations of all sorts. This is being done by countries and criminals. Case in point. Events have occurred in the country recently that have resulted in people's lives being cut shorter than if the event had not occurred. This is the area that would start if another country wanted to make trouble, some might say it has always been happening.
TBH I would just like to see what we currently have A. Fully manned, B. Modernised and C. Funded appropriately. Even that alone is going to require a rather large capital injection to initiate and budget increase to maintain which is exactly why I am not sold on bringing back a budget eating strike wing as that would just mean a return to cut capabilities to cover. The new relevant frigates, improved sealift ship (I can't see the mooted 2nd happening), upgraded OPVs and better suited IPVs will cost literally a bomb and will be an ongoing project as they are all due in rather short succession. Again with these I can't see an increase in numbers so I feel the way we make up for this shortfall is in quality ie high end frigates (we actually deploy these on missions), fit for purpose sealift, high end OPVs (to make up for frigates numbers) and armed IPVs. Essentially stepping up capability within the same fleet ie IPVs can do more lower end OPV taskings, OPVs can take on more lower end frigate taskings and both the frigates and MRV can operate more independently in high end scenarios. Pretty much up-equipping to the current class above now for more flex, capacity and options. A re-visit of the SOPV which seems to be dead in the water and obviously the new Helos (which are essential) is most definately going to cause a few heartaches in treasury as is without further complicating matters. All that is rather moot without the specialised manpower to run it all as we are finding now so a robust incentive and retention programme is also going to be required (across all services) and with salaries making up the bulk of any force obviously payrises are inevitable.

Whilst I don't see manned strike making a comeback I would like to see air embrace drones probably more in the long range surveillance role to begin with to free up the P8s and extend range but then once the dust has settled and the capability embedded (and therefore more acceptable to the masses) add strike options to that ie 2 birds with 1 drone. Loitering attack drones also provide a detterant factor at nowhere near the cost of a true ACF. Alongside the already discussed ongoing replacements (both mooted and current).

Army needs to be built back up (apparently most units are currently @60% manning levels, Bns down to singular companies, certain trades non-deployable, SF short on boots etc etc) and expanded (with the mooted 3rd bn gp rounding) as we had no contingency before and now we have no options so we need abit of fat in the system to alleviate pressure especially around deployments. Artillery needs to be self propelled (towed is now archaic), AD brought back and expanded and long range missiles aqquired with an anti ship option as well (more detterants). We also need to stop downsizing our fleets everytime we replace as the quality vs quantity argument only goes so far and becomes problematic especially during deployments. And yes I also see the need for cyber warfare and AI enhancement as not doubt the world in general will start leveraging and exploiting these technologies so we need to be at least on top of ideally ahead of the game. Again with the recon, targetting and loitering attack drones down to section level along with more Anti armour weapons, the more the merrier!

The civilian side of the equation needs expansion, exposure and intergration as well in terms of reserves and actual civilian roles (training, support, non-essential) and should be leaned on more and equipped accordingly just as much as regulars.

And these are just the basics off the top of my head, these all need to be intergrated and digitised to be able to work together and operate more effectively within ourselves and our allies otherwise it is literally all over the place and therefore ineffective as a complete protective bubble and the glaring gaps will emerge.

Our biggest asset, people people people, but not only that but well trained, focussed and proficient people, is going to always be the main priority as without that it is all for nothing but this is also going to be our biggest problem in this age as well (as a few militaries are finding) and I fear even a healthy budget alone wont solve this one.

Just my humble opinion anyway.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Again, I already know what strike aircraft do. And again, Im not asking what the world does with strike aircraft, I'm asking what NZ will do with strike aircraft.
Why ask the obvious, exactly the same as anyone else would do, defend our sovereign territory should the necessity arise, somewhat obvious. Your continued use of sarcasm as your debating tool without any genuine at reasoning or facts to support your position indicates a weak position.
they say sarcasm is the lowest form of humour and it would qualify in this regard in the same way for debate. While occasional use is acceptable your constant use is over the top
Our biggest asset, people people people, but not only that but well trained, focussed and proficient people, is going to always be the main priority as without that it is all for nothing but this is also going to be our biggest problem in this age as well (as a few militaries are finding) and I fear even a healthy budget alone wont solve this one
Totally agree, but they also need the tools to function.

As the Government commision of picked wise men on defence has said the world is more dangerous in a NZ context please put forward your plan to defend NZ.

Last edited:

RegR

Why ask the obvious, exactly the same as anyone else would do, defend our sovereign territory should the necessity arise, somewhat obvious. Your continued use of sarcasm as your debating tool without any genuine at reasoning or facts to support your position indicates a weak position.
they say sarcasm is the lowest form of humour and it would qualify in this regard in the same way for debate. While occasional use is acceptable your constant use is over the top

Totally agree, but they also need the tools to function.

As the Government commision of picked wise men on defence has said the world is more dangerous in a NZ context please put forward your plan to defend NZ.
Would, should, maybe, could be, these are your arguments?

I'm not debating anything, it's happened, for quite some time now as well. You seem to think I'm the one needing to prove my case? Nope.

Its abit like your overuse of the word sovereignty, by just repeating it over and over doesn't then change anything in reality does it. I disagree, I think sarcasm is ironically hilarious.

"Commission of picked wise men"??? Sounds very biblical but obviously not that wise considering they couldnt even convince a party of other elected smart people the supposed importance and need of a strike wing that is apparently vital to save the country. Those smart people must be just kicking themselves now they didnt take their advice and heed their warning way back then? Right?

My plan is to then carry on with what we have been doing for the past 20 years as it is obviously working! Who knew?? Actually our DF is in an even weaker state then not only 20 years ago when we had strike aircraft but 10 years ago when we didnt even, and yet here we are, still freely yarning about sovereignty? again. Not sure what these guys/factions/countries are waiting for at this point as by all accounts this country is ripe for the taking and has been for some time? Talk about confusing tactics huh!

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My plan is to then carry on with what we have been doing for the past 20 years as it is obviously working!
Carrying on with what work in the past due to what worked in the past due to a fluke of history is not an option due to a rapidly changing world. Look at Ukraine, in the 20 years prior to 2014 all was good, they had a treaty guaranteeing their boarders with Russia, backed by other nations, what could go wrong. Well just about everything and looking back in history time and time again different nations around the world have found there sovereignty and freedom suddenly at risk with little warning.
My over use of the word sovereignty in your words is because it forms the very basis of our life in NZ and your inability to understand this and respect the advantages this gives us is puzzling. Maybe you are in the wrong country.
As a side note not really defence orientated Your dislike form insurance including our sovereignty work both ways You are correct when you say some people get threw life fine without it, But there are a lot of cases which don't, From personal experience I offer the following, I lent my car to my eldest Daughter and se wrote it of , With the insurance money I simply went out and brought another. My son who owned a solo agg contracting and cartage business had just brought a newer large truck and trailer combo which do to time constants he had not insured yet, was going to the following week, Parked outside this house overnight when someone broke into it then set it on fire, destroying it.(10s of thousands of dollars) My son had to sell up the rest of his equipment and accept a driving job to make ends meet. A couple I know who live just out of town had their house burn down (wiring fault) and lost everything, no insurance, had to beg and borrow enough furniture for a place to rent so that they could even live properly. And by not insuring our future we are putting our following generations at risk.

RegR

Carrying on with what work in the past due to what worked in the past due to a fluke of history is not an option due to a rapidly changing world. Look at Ukraine, in the 20 years prior to 2014 all was good, they had a treaty guaranteeing their boarders with Russia, backed by other nations, what could go wrong. Well just about everything and looking back in history time and time again different nations around the world have found there sovereignty and freedom suddenly at risk with little warning.
My over use of the word sovereignty in your words is because it forms the very basis of our life in NZ and your inability to understand this and respect the advantages this gives us is puzzling. Maybe you are in the wrong country.
As a side note not really defence orientated Your dislike form insurance including our sovereignty work both ways You are correct when you say some people get threw life fine without it, But there are a lot of cases which don't, From personal experience I offer the following, I lent my car to my eldest Daughter and se wrote it of , With the insurance money I simply went out and brought another. My son who owned a solo agg contracting and cartage business had just brought a newer large truck and trailer combo which do to time constants he had not insured yet, was going to the following week, Parked outside this house overnight when someone broke into it then set it on fire, destroying it.(10s of thousands of dollars) My son had to sell up the rest of his equipment and accept a driving job to make ends meet. A couple I know who live just out of town had their house burn down (wiring fault) and lost everything, no insurance, had to beg and borrow enough furniture for a place to rent so that they could even live properly. And by not insuring our future we are putting our following generations at risk.
Using the Ukraine/Russian war as an example shows a complete lack of any military knowledge. That is a land battle well within the combat radius of Russian combat aircraft. So not then exactly relative to NZ is it.

We have freedom and sovereignty, we have not lost it and never have and strike jets obviously do not "guarantee" this as it has even been over 20 years without them guaranteeing this. Again insurance did not prevent your car getting written off, it replaced it after it was written off or do you not comprehend this so not sure how that scenario relates to having an ACF instead. The simple, more practical and cost effective soloution would be to just not let your daughter drive your car in the first place, park your sons truck in a secure yard and get your wiring checked. Being abit emotive don't you think?

Also check "spell check" before you post.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
When the PLAN gets up to 6 carriers, probably within the next 10-12 years with functional J-35s, and the US becomes isolationist or worse, dysfunctional, some kind of strike capability including fast jets will be highly desirable (couple of subs as well). Unfortunately for NZ, time is not on its side should things go pear shaped.

kiwi in exile

RNZ Audio Player

Rnz focus on politics on national govts defence spending announcement (< than labours last one).
Valerie Morse Wayne Mapp and crusher interviewed. So far little real indication that the current govt will deliver anything meaningfully for defence. Collins talks big on what our services are asked to do with the stuff they have then states "that's what we could afford"