NZDF General discussion thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Official announcement on NZDF and NZ Police deployment to the Solomon Islands. An advance party of 15 NZDF personnel will deploy tomorrow with the main party comprising of 50 NZDF and NZ Police personnel will deploy over the weekend.

New Zealand Response to assist peace and stability in Solomon Islands | Beehive.govt.nz

Last Saturday the Leader of the Opposition in the Solomon Islands Parliament tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister. It is supposed to be debated within seven days and will be debated at some stage next week. Politics in the Solomon Islands can be somewhat lively.

Parliament Resumes Today - Solomon Times Online

V33A

Daily mail had a nice little map.. Not sure how accurate it is. Seems based of the Daily Telegraph which originally broke the story.

View attachment 48675

Normally you would like some sort of ship tailing them, just keeping and eye on them and monitoring them. They are a long way from home, they could have mechanical problems or get some floatsam stuck in a prop or something. Its doesn't seem like they came particularly close to Australia, they seem more interested in longer range capabilities, well OTH.

Great opportunity to map their vessel, acoustically, electronically. I would avoid using actual combat systems and ships, like Australia is following it with a AOR. Use leased civilian aircraft to overfly it.
If they encountered mechanical problems they would be fine.
They could either seek assistance from their comrade Xicinda, or dock at a friendly NZ port.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If they encountered mechanical problems they would be fine.
They could either seek assistance from their comrade Xicinda, or dock at a friendly NZ port.
You don't appear to be wanting to be here long with childish posts like that. If you want to bad mouth Kiwis that's fine, but you can go do it elsewhere, and face to face with a Kiwi instead of being gutless and hiding behind a keyboard. Here such conduct is not acceptable. I strongly suggest that you read the rules before posting again.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Evening all. With the recent port visit by USS Howard and the arrival of the new U.S. Ambassador, I thought it timely to revisit the fact we are not formally allies of the United States. My latest article links with the earlier one about NZ's eras of strategic defence alignment and just looks at the NZ/US relationship. Feedback welcome as always. Duty Call or Booty Call?
G'day @Simon Ewing Jarvie It's pretty well on the mark and I think should be read in conjunction with your Wavell Room article; New Zealand's Struggle for Strategic Identity » Wavell Room. If you look at the decline of NZDF in the last 22 years Helen Clarks fingers are all over it, and I am pretty sure that you wrote that in a recent article.

I follow Lei's Real Talk on You Tube and she's just released a video looking at the CCP influence in the South Pacific. It's worth a look and most of what she says on this video can be verified.

Simon Ewing Jarvie

Cheers! I'll check it out.
G'day @Simon Ewing Jarvie It's pretty well on the mark and I think should be read in conjunction with your Wavell Room article; New Zealand's Struggle for Strategic Identity » Wavell Room. If you look at the decline of NZDF in the last 22 years Helen Clarks fingers are all over it, and I am pretty sure that you wrote that in a recent article.

I follow Lei's Real Talk on You Tube and she's just released a video looking at the CCP influence in the South Pacific. It's worth a look and most of what she says on this video can be verified.

'

Nighthawk.NZ

Evening all. With the recent port visit by USS Howard and the arrival of the new U.S. Ambassador, I thought it timely to revisit the fact we are not formally allies of the United States. My latest article links with the earlier one about NZ's eras of strategic defence alignment and just looks at the NZ/US relationship. Feedback welcome as always. Duty Call or Booty Call?
We only have one formal ally... and that be Aussie... I been in many arguments over this... lol

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, you mob were once part of NSW....View attachment 48697
Fake news :p :D That was not so. We would not have been included in the NSW colony because NZ was treated separately by the Pommy colonial administrators. They didn't want to have NZ as a colony because they saw no economic advantage for the Empire. They didn't however release the claim to NZ and only did enough to prevent those sneaky and dirty French from laying claim to it. It wasn't until 1840 that the Poms formalised the inclusion of NZ into the empire. As such we were not a penal colony and so were settled by a better class of villain.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One added comment, some of my Māori ancestors may have made a mistake by not having a few of the Pommy settlers for lunch. Might have put the rest off :cool: However the word went around that these foreigners didn't taste right after a tribe on the west coast of the North Island dined on a couple of shipwrecked sealers. True story. The poor buggers washed up ashore in the territory of a particular tribe who were very anti outsiders, even other Māori tribes.

KiwiRob

Fake news :p :D That was not so. We would not have been included in the NSW colony because NZ was treated separately by the Pommy colonial administrators. They didn't want to have NZ as a colony because they saw no economic advantage for the Empire. They didn't however release the claim to NZ and only did enough to prevent those sneaky and dirty French from laying claim to it. It wasn't until 1840 that the Poms formalised the inclusion of NZ into the empire. As such we were not a penal colony and so were settled by a better class of villain.
I wouldn’t have minded speaking with a sexy French accent, the chicks would have loved that. And let’s face facts French women are better looking than British women which would have improved the local stocks no end. Chances are if the frogs had taken NZ we would still be a French department, having EU citizenship would have been awesome.

KiwiRob

One added comment, some of my Māori ancestors may have made a mistake by not having a few of the Pommy settlers for lunch. Might have put the rest off :cool: However the word went around that these foreigners didn't taste right after a tribe on the west coast of the North Island dined on a couple of shipwrecked sealers. True story. The poor buggers washed up ashore in the territory of a particular tribe who were very anti outsiders, even other Māori tribes.
I’ve often wondered what NZ would have been like without colonisation, what springs to mind is a larger version of the Cook Islands. What we can be sure of is NZ would be a developing nation not the developed nation we have today .

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I’ve often wondered what NZ would have been like without colonisation, what springs to mind is a larger version of the Cook Islands. What we can be sure of is NZ would be a developing nation not the developed nation we have today .
Colonization by one of the European powers was inevitable, NZ had huge potential. IMO, most English colonies have evolved much more successfully than their Euro competitors, especially former Spanish colonies.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As such we were not a penal colony and so were settled by a better class of villain.
Yep, my great great grandfather, who was a Scot borderer, only came out to NZ because someone potted him for having a wife both sides of the boarder. (He brought his English wife with him) He was never potted for the sheep rustling that was his main occupation. Unlike our Australian counterparts he had enough sense not to get court. A much higher standard of immigrant, had brains.:cool:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, my great great grandfather, who was a Scot borderer, only came out to NZ because someone potted him for having a wife both sides of the boarder. (He brought his English wife with him) He was never potted for the sheep rustling that was his main occupation. Unlike our Australian counterparts he had enough sense not to get court. A much higher standard of immigrant, had brains.:cool:
His name wasn't MacKenzie was it?

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
His name wasn't MacKenzie was it?
Na, Robert Johnston, of good borderer stock and he only took sheep from English men on the other side of the boarder, never from a Scott So as a borderer he considered this quite legitimate.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Na, Robert Johnston, of good borderer stock and he only took sheep from English men on the other side of the boarder, never from a Scott So as a borderer he considered this quite legitimate.
Now we know where this Kiwi née Scot fetish for sheep comes from!
They knew the English sheep were “unused” and the Scots were unwilling to share theirs. :p
I think we’re getting a bit OT here but it does explain much!