NZDF General discussion thread

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That’s what the NZDF will need why the real Militaries go off to fight, some Sandpaper so they can stay at home and Paint things:)
That’s so because they need to be happy and their well-being can be improved by showing empathy to their aggressors.:rolleyes:

foxdemon

What does the NZ army run for artillary these days?

Back in the Vietnam war, they would wait until all guns were loaded and fire as a battery. That mean’t the first shell didn’t get the targets ducking for cover. Rather the target got hit with all the shells before they could react.

Sure would be good to see a modern NZ artillary regiment with FH777’s and spotting drones.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
What does the NZ army run for artillary these days?

Back in the Vietnam war, they would wait until all guns were loaded and fire as a battery. That mean’t the first shell didn’t get the targets ducking for cover. Rather the target got hit with all the shells before they could react.

Sure would be good to see a modern NZ artillary regiment with FH777’s and spotting drones.
105 mm Hamel guns IIRC.

40 deg south

https://www.parliament.nz/resource/en-NZ/SCR_82633/fd9112afa12a5378e0f0f6ec042ce3a7f7d87631

2017/18 annual review of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) - New Zealand Parliament

All New Zealand government agencies receive Parliamentary oversight from one of a dozen Select Committees, made up of government and opposition MPs. Defence is covered by the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee. It is worth occasionally checking their page on the Parliament website, as they post any reports they have written.

One of the links above will show the 2017/18 annual review of MOD and NZDF. There are one or two points that people may find interesting, although much of it is bureaucratic boilerplate. It is worth remembering that most MPs are appointed to the committee because of interest in or knowledge of foreign affairs and trade, rather than defence. Additionally, SC reports tend to skip lightly over areas where the committee couldn't agree, although I have no idea if this happens on this particular committee.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is worth remembering that most MPs are appointed to the committee because of interest in or knowledge of foreign affairs and trade, rather than defence.
The SC members and their backgrounds:

Simon O’Connor (Chairperson) - Former Civilian Military Chaplain (Waiouru Army Base)
Hon Tim Macindoe - Former Customs Minister
Hon Todd McClay - Former Diplomat and Trade Minister
Chris Penk - Former Naval Officer (Served on Te Kaha)
Priyanca Radhakrishnan - Former Social Worker
Jamie Strange - Former Middle School Music Teacher
Louisa Wall - Former Social Worker and Netball/Rugby Player
Golriz Ghahraman - Former Junior Barrister

Put it this way - about half of them are able to contribute something and take the role seriously.

SC reports tend to skip lightly over areas where the committee couldn't agree, although I have no idea if this happens on this particular committee.
Probably the whole point of having a combat capability in the NZDF would likely split the 8 members in half.

kiwipatriot69

Recent terror attacks in my City of Christchurch got me peeved, to say the least! Locked down in a cleaners cupboard for several hours at the high school where I work, while sirens I presume was police and ambulance buzzing around. And helicopters overheard, kind of brings back memories of the tension I felt during the quakes and fires. Where was the iintelligence monitoring on these sods, and how on earth did he get hold of an AR 15?

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Recent terror attacks in my City of Christchurch got me peeved, to say the least! Locked down in a cleaners cupboard for several hours at the high school where I work, while sirens I presume was police and ambulance buzzing around. And helicopters overheard, kind of brings back memories of the tension I felt during the quakes and fires. Where was the iintelligence monitoring on these sods, and how on earth did he get hold of an AR 15?
What makes you think they were even watching this group, human intelligence is only as good as the information provided and as this is way to early to even provide any response I will leave it to Police and Security Services to find the answers...As for AR15 who knows could of been stolen, black market or brought legally by someone sympathetic to thier cause.

RegR

Sorry you had to go through that, not a nice feeling especially in NZ and the fact it struck Christchurch after all it's been through already. AR15s are legal in NZ it was the mags he used that are illegal.

I was unfortunate enough to see his live stream before it was taken down, surreal to think it happened here. RIP to all those taken and I wish nothing but hell on those responsible.

No doubt our firearms laws will come into the spotlight and go through the ringer again.

kiwipatriot69

What makes you think they were even watching this group, human intelligence is only as good as the information provided and as this is way to early to even provide any response I will leave it to Police and Security Services to find the answers...As for AR15 who knows could of been stolen, black market or brought legally by someone sympathetic to thier cause.
Meaning to say, arent police checks,other restrictions in place to make it harder for criminals and the like to get hold of a military style rifle?

As for intelligence, reports show one of the gunmen had been making many death threats against the mosques targeted online
Sorry you had to go through that, not a nice feeling especially in NZ and the fact it struck Christchurch after all it's been through already. AR15s are legal in NZ it was the mags he used that are illegal.

I was unfortunate enough to see his live stream before it was taken down, surreal to think it happened here. RIP to all those taken and I wish nothing but hell on those responsible.

No doubt our firearms laws will come into the spotlight and go through the ringer again.
CD

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I live about 1 km from the Linwood mosque and there are 10 dead so far announced for that attack. It's by a mall where my wife and I frequent so we could've been in the line of fire. Yes we went through all of the quakes and could see and smell the fires and my wife was trapped in a room for a while during one of the quakes. We didn't hear the gunfire but we got to hear all the sirens and one of the terrorists was arrested down the road in his vehicle which just happened to have an IED in it. Shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Hug, kiss and hold your loved ones close when you see them next and be thankful for what you have. 49 people won't ever be going home to their loved ones again after today.

If you are having trouble dealing with the stress go get some help. There is plenty of it out there and it's only a phone call away. Most of us have been stressed and / or had PTSD and what not by the quakes and today has bought flashbacks for some.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Meaning to say, arent police checks,other restrictions in place to make it harder for criminals and the like to get hold of a military style rifle?

As for intelligence, reports show one of the gunmen had been making many death threats against the mosques targeted online
There are checks if people attempt to acquire such weapons legally. However there are other ways of acquiring weapons that don't involve inconvenient things like police checks and firearms licenses. I think that a very large tonnage of cow / pig manure is going to come down upon the people who supplied the firearms used in todays massacre when Mr Plod finds out who they are.

Those reports about online death threats are unconfirmed and the Police Commissioner said tonight that he had no intel on said threats.

I live about 1 km from the Linwood mosque and there are 10 dead so far announced for that attack. It's by a mall where my wife and I frequent so we could've been in the line of fire. Yes we went through all of the quakes and could see and smell the fires and my wife was trapped in a room for a while during one of the quakes. We didn't hear the gunfire but we got to hear all the sirens and one of the terrorists was arrested down the road in his vehicle which just happened to have an IED in it. Shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Hug, kiss and hold your loved ones close when you see them next and be thankful for what you have. 49 people won't ever be going home to their loved ones again after today.

If you are having trouble dealing with the stress go get some help. There is plenty of it out there and it's only a phone call away. Most of us have been stressed and / or had PTSD and what not by the quakes and today has bought flashbacks for some.

Kia Kaha to you ngati, your family and to all those in CHCH today....my thoughts are with you.

Damn you guys have been through the wringer these past few years....I’ll echo the above advise, if you are feeling stressed out...pick up the phone, call a loved one, call a friend, call a hotline....there is no shame in asking for help or in just having a chat...you’ll be better for it.

Take care all.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Kia Kaha to you ngati, your family and to all those in CHCH today....my thoughts are with you.

Damn you guys have been through the wringer these past few years....I’ll echo the above advise, if you are feeling stressed out...pick up the phone, call a loved one, call a friend, call a hotline....there is no shame in asking for help or in just having a chat...you’ll be better for it.

Take care all.
Kia ora bro, Na mihi.

kiwipatriot69

Take care all.
Yeah mate, ironically, i was just talking to my brother in Melbourne today about their terror attacks, and how we here have been so lucky here.And my family's all in Aussie now, I expect to pay them a visit in the next few months.One of the staff cleaners I was locked up with was hysterical .I was more pissed than worried.My medicine is Taylor's mistake Port, im drinking now . :)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah mate, ironically, i was just talking to my brother in Melbourne today about their terror attacks, and how we here have been so lucky here.And my family's all in Aussie now, I expect to pay them a visit in the next few months.One of the staff cleaners I was locked up with was hysterical .I was more pissed than worried.My medicine is Taylor's mistake Port, im drinking now . :)
Some people get like that and it can't be helped. When I worked at the hospital, got stuck in a lift with a tad sick patient on a bed and a nurse who started to freak out a bit. Didn't help that emergency phone in lift was stuffed, but I always carried a cellphone which I used. Think the emergency phone was the one that Noah used when he was CO of the Ark.

My go to port was Artillery. When I was in the Navy it was the compulsory port. One piece of advice, not good next morning when used as chasers with squirt - navy rum.

Redlands18

Unfortunately it appears the Shooter was a Person from the Continent to the west of you, I will not call him by his nationality as he does deserve that honour.
On behalf of all your Cobbers this side of the Ditch I would like to apologise if true to all our Anzac Mates that this thing came from our beautiful land:(.

Why do Governments have to wait for these things to happen before Banning Automatic and Semi Automatic Weapons? No one in the Private Sector needs them. We went through this in 1996 after Port Arthur and several smaller incidents and haven’t had a similar incident since bringing in the Ban.

They are reporting here that the Death Toll has hit 40.

Last edited:

steel jo

Unfortunately it appears the Shooter was a Person from the Continent to the west of you, I will not call him by his nationality as he does deserve that honour.
On behalf of all your Cobbers this side of the Ditch I would like to apologise if true to all our Anzac Mates that this thing came from our beautiful land:(.

Why do Governments have to wait for these things to happen before Banning Automatic Weapons? No one in the Private Sector needs them. We went through this in 1996 after Port Arthur and several smaller incidents and haven’t had a similar incident since bringing in the Ban.

They are reporting here that the Death Toll has hit 40.
semi auto for correctness

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not sure how much difference there is between NZ and Australia wrt to gun laws but there is a a huge difference between Canada and the US. The illegal flow of guns into Canada is huge. That being said, even with no land borders, illegal guns and other contraband are a profitable business for the criminal class and no distance is to great. Terrorist acts deserve the death penalty.