North Korean Military.

King Wally

I wonder how much attention Iran would pay in such a conflict and could it possibly spur them on to start something in the belief that the US Forces are pre-occupied elsewhere. Division of resources and all.

There are strong concerns as we know that Iran could be shipping Uranium to N Korea via China so there could well be a genuine relationship between the two nations.

Could there be a mutual pact between them perhaps such that it one of the two become engaged with the US the other will spark off to tie forces up at the other end?

It concerns me that there are two reasonably well armed nations here both with massive anger towards the US and both showing little respect for what is still the most powerful nation on the planet.
The domino effect is certainly a worst case scenario but it could happen. A player like Iran could certainly take advantage of the situation to try and spur on Islamist extreemism/revolution in its already unstable neighbours Afghanistan, Iraq or Pakistan. Arms supply, training and equipment etc. It wouldn't be unthinkable to see Afghanistan lost again after 10 years hard work if full focus had to be imedietly swung to North Korea. In such a situation a player like Iran wouldn't need to do a hell of a lot to create a massive side show. Just take existing regional issues and flame them up.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how much attention Iran would pay in such a conflict and could it possibly spur them on to start something in the belief that the US Forces are pre-occupied elsewhere. Division of resources and all.

There are strong concerns as we know that Iran could be shipping Uranium to N Korea via China so there could well be a genuine relationship between the two nations.

Could there be a mutual pact between them perhaps such that it one of the two become engaged with the US the other will spark off to tie forces up at the other end?

It concerns me that there are two reasonably well armed nations here both with massive anger towards the US and both showing little respect for what is still the most powerful nation on the planet.
Neither can do all that much, especially Iran, when it comes to hurting the US, or even their immediate neighbors. The only real card the DPRK has is their ability to deal massive damage to civilian infrastructure and population in the RoK. Iran has even less to play. The North Korean regime isn't going to risk their existence by sparking a war with the south, over US military action in Iran. Iran has some room to expand activities in the Middle East, to increase their influence in the region but not much. And they're certainly not going to risk their chance to make real gains while the US is busy in North Korea, by attacking US assets and facilities directly.

If the US does get heavily involved in either one of those two what you should look for is an increase in the roles Russia, China, and the EU play in global geopolitics. They will be the ones to profit the most from another US involvement in a messy nation-building exercise.

Beatmaster

Neither can do all that much, especially Iran, when it comes to hurting the US, or even their immediate neighbors. The only real card the DPRK has is their ability to deal massive damage to civilian infrastructure and population in the RoK. Iran has even less to play. The North Korean regime isn't going to risk their existence by sparking a war with the south, over US military action in Iran. Iran has some room to expand activities in the Middle East, to increase their influence in the region but not much. And they're certainly not going to risk their chance to make real gains while the US is busy in North Korea, by attacking US assets and facilities directly.

If the US does get heavily involved in either one of those two what you should look for is an increase in the roles Russia, China, and the EU play in global geopolitics. They will be the ones to profit the most from another US involvement in a messy nation-building exercise.
I see what you are saying and i personally think that you overstate the ability of the international community to hold NK and Iran at bay.
And neither do i see any side getting a benefit out of another armed conflict.
Both regimes (NK & Iran) know perfectly well how to play their game, they will NOT cross the point of no return and have proven that they can bounce back and change things around into their favor.
Now in terms of military both nations are, not capable of achieving a victory in a offensive way, the know that perfectly well.

But in terms of defense, they are more then a match to any western involvement, and neither the US or South Korea are up to the task to successfully run a huge campaign against NK and this same applies for a US vs Iran scenario.
The US does the hardware to do so, but they lack the international support, the money and stamina to achieve a desirable effect without ending up in a long term saturation war.
Short said it will be a very messy situation, and there is no guarantee that the US will achieve what it might set out to do.

So the reason i said you overstate the ability is because one could say both parties keep each other in check, however the US cannot just go in, but both NK and Iran can feel them selfs cornered and put into such a position that a all or nothing war might be the only thing left.
And in that situation specially in a NK vs SK situation it would mean a MASSIVE loss of live, and in that scenario the US fails in protecting South Korea, as the capital and many border cities end up being destroyed, by NK artillery and such.
My point is of the west wants success then perhaps pushing a bit less hard avoids the situation from escalating beyond a PONR scenario.

One must realize that NK is inferior to virtually any military standard, but because of their indoctrination and such a war with SK would be just as devastating to NK as SK, and the US will not be able to avoid another massacre:

According to the data from the U.S. Department of Defense, the United States suffered 33,686 battle deaths, along with 2,830 non-battle deaths during the Korean War and 8,176 missing in action.[218] South Korea reported some 373,599 civilian and 137,899 military deaths.[9] Western sources estimate the PVA suffered about 400,000 killed and 486,000 wounded, while the KPA suffered 215,000 killed and 303,000 wounded.[19]

Data from official Chinese sources, on the other hand, reported that the PVA had suffered 114,000 battle deaths, 34,000 non-battle deaths, 340,000 wounded, 7,600 missing and 21,400 captured during the war. Among those captured, about 14,000 defected to Taiwan while the other 7,110 were repatriated to China.[219] Chinese sources also reported that North Korea had suffered 290,000 casualties, 90,000 captured and a "large" number of civilian deaths.[219] In return, the Chinese and North Koreans estimated that about 390,000 soldiers from United States, 660,000 soldiers from South Korea and 29,000 other UN soldiers were "eliminated" from the battlefield.[219]

Recent scholarship has put the full death toll on all sides at just over 1.2 million
Source wiki

My point here is that neither the international community neither the US or SK for that matter have the luxury of pushing to hard towards NK.
Something needs to be done thats true but there is a fine line between success and a complete war.
And with the current situation going from bad to worse i believe that the international community already has partly lost and its reasonable to assume that history might repeat itself.
You do want to avoid Iran or NK to achieve nuclear weapons, but you also want to avoid the situation where both draw a line into a all or nothing situation.
Push a cat into a tiny corner and you will be surprised how dangerous it might become.
Short said it would render all the previous actions meaningless and it would put NK and Iran into a position where they can bring their old hardware into good use.
Because you can have the best military in the world, but a 1 cent bullet kills just as easy as a 500 dollar laser guided bullet.
There is no question about IF the international community is going to win a conflict.
As there is not a hope in hell that both regimes would survive such a thing.
But in terms of casualties both Iran and specially NK can seriously cross all moral lines and use tactics and options that are far more effective then any option available to US/Western forces) And its my firm believe that NK will try to bring up the casualty numbers as high as they can during a conflict and in that matter their military is VERY up to the task.
And this is why i think that the west should back off a bit, and that the US is being overated in their efforts to contain NK or Iran for that matter.

And even with the Support of China and Russia i do not believe that they in the end will jump in and help a US led campaign (perhaps diplomatically yes)
And i venture to say that perhaps they even might help out NK even if its just to avoid the US coming to close to China, keep in mind the DMZ has served as a buffer between east and west for some years now, and i do not see China to give this up that easy, and rather seeing a NK being destroyed is neither a option.
Just saying the interests by China and Russia in that region is far greater then ANY interest that the US might have.
And that on its own is a very good reason to back off a bit.

Remember that it does not have to be like the first Korean war, but do you remember the Afgan war against the USSR? there you got a prime example of US help changing the outcome of the war, while on a diplomatic level everyone was playing nice...
And this NK situation might be just that... for China and Russia.

Or do you believe i am wrong?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A visit of Kim Chen Un to a North Korea Arty unit, featuring the 170mm Koksan guns. Their max range, with rocket-assisted rounds, is estimated at 60kms, and the regiment has 36 guns. This would be an example of the type of arty, that the DPRK can use as a strategic deterrent against the South.

bmpd -

EDIT: A shot of DPRK air unit with the MiG-29.

http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/101/p8uQH.jpg

Last edited:

armyfirst

back 1967 vietanm

i think if richard Nixson life in now ,,he will angry about american s policy...
he just like some country like south vn ..cambodia ..japan
i just like chinaRusa airforce.....

Beatmaster

A visit of Kim Chen Un to a North Korea Arty unit, featuring the 170mm Koksan guns. Their max range, with rocket-assisted rounds, is estimated at 60kms, and the regiment has 36 guns. This would be an example of the type of arty, that the DPRK can use as a strategic deterrent against the South.

bmpd -

EDIT: A shot of DPRK air unit with the MiG-29.

http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/101/p8uQH.jpg
Scary looking missiles.
Would you know what kind of missiles mister Kim can use for his airforces... i assume they are quality wise inferior to SK counter parts.
I wonder if Kims airforce can pose a danger at all to SK.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

King Wally

Scary looking missiles.
Would you know what kind of missiles mister Kim can use for his airforces... i assume they are quality wise inferior to SK counter parts.
I wonder if Kims airforce can pose a danger at all to SK.
No. Not at all.

At the 4th gen spearhead of both airforces your looking at approx 30/40 Mig 29's for NK coming up against 60ish F-15's & 180ish F-16's from SK.

Both air forces have additional lower quality aircraft (3rd gen and jet trainers etc) but the above are where the top teir fight will go down.

Add in important elements like quality maintainance, training, support structures, weapons and upgrades (And the USA wildcard!) and NK's airforce has lost the air war before it has begun.

Lobos82

Everything I have heard about North Korea is basically saying that they are bluffing. I listen to CNN on the way home on Sirius XM and all of the people who talk about their arsenal basically say that they have nothing that is capable of hitting the continental US. Guam seems to be worried, but I think that is just precautionary just to be safe. I actually just got a text from somebody saying Korea is about to launch a missile. Japan is apparently getting ready to defend themselves...... I honestly think North Korea is all bark and no bite, and if they do attack they will be wiped off the map because they are making a lot of enemies right now. Who knows, maybe their inferior missiles will be duds and land in their own backyard

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm not so sure this is just the NorKs being the NorKs at this point. I would have agreed with that idea (eg that all this is saber-rattling to get more food aid/for domestic purposes) until they closed down Kaesong, a move that makes no sense if this about money. That isn't to say I know what this is, but it's not about money. Even domestic consumption doesn't make sense to go this far.

Part of me wonders whether this is setting up for KJU to clean house on the military side (eg force a provocation, when/if the KPA responds poorly, proceed to do some Stalin-esque "example-making"). That's a really weird scenario, but it's all I can come up with. Unless this is all explicitly aimed at raising KJU's standing with the army (who's loyalty has been in doubt, though take those reports with a grain of salt). I guess I can see that, but I'm not sure it's a smart move even then. Which leads to a larger problem with the NorKs: their leadership is so opaque and poorly understood that you can't even speculate on what's going, so it's really hard to try and figure out what the leadership is thinking or what might be motivating them. Or, honestly, who the leadership really is anyway. Andrei Lankov has an anecdote from a Russian diplomat who had 30 years of dealing with the DPRK. The diplomat got to go to a graveyard reserved for high level officials in Pyongyang, noting that the tombstones all had the officials' highest position they served at engraved on them. Despite the relatively-close affiliation with the DPRK the Soviets had and all his experience, he had no clue who 2/3rds of the people in that graveyard were.

My biggest fear out of this whole thing actually comes down to the RoK: since the shelling of Y-P-do in 2010, I believe the attitude has shifted in the RoK regarding DPRK provocations and they will respond in kind (and plus some) to a minor attack. Does KJU/the DPRK leadership know this and appreciate it? Who knows. The opportunities for miscalculation are high right now.

I'm not so sure this is just the NorKs being the NorKs at this point. I would have agreed with that idea (eg that all this is saber-rattling to get more food aid/for domestic purposes) until they closed down Kaesong, a move that makes no sense if this about money. That isn't to say I know what this is, but it's not about money. Even domestic consumption doesn't make sense to go this far.

Part of me wonders whether this is setting up for KJU to clean house on the military side (eg force a provocation, when/if the KPA responds poorly, proceed to do some Stalin-esque "example-making"). That's a really weird scenario, but it's all I can come up with. Unless this is all explicitly aimed at raising KJU's standing with the army (who's loyalty has been in doubt, though take those reports with a grain of salt). I guess I can see that, but I'm not sure it's a smart move even then. Which leads to a larger problem with the NorKs: their leadership is so opaque and poorly understood that you can't even speculate on what's going, so it's really hard to try and figure out what the leadership is thinking or what might be motivating them. Or, honestly, who the leadership really is anyway. Andrei Lankov has an anecdote from a Russian diplomat who had 30 years of dealing with the DPRK. The diplomat got to go to a graveyard reserved for high level officials in Pyongyang, noting that the tombstones all had the officials' highest position they served at engraved on them. Despite the relatively-close affiliation with the DPRK the Soviets had and all his experience, he had no clue who 2/3rds of the people in that graveyard were.

My biggest fear out of this whole thing actually comes down to the RoK: since the shelling of Y-P-do in 2010, I believe the attitude has shifted in the RoK regarding DPRK provocations and they will respond in kind (and plus some) to a minor attack. Does KJU/the DPRK leadership know this and appreciate it? Who knows. The opportunities for miscalculation are high right now.
Maybe RoK is moving into the camp of "better to go now" while their nuclear capability is hopefully limited? There probably also needs to be a consensus between China, Japan & US. I do wonder is the RoK would try to intercept any test missile launches, if they came within range?

Lcf

Their standard warmongering is one thing, but what really bugs me is the closure of Kaesong because in their economy's condition it's not really a neglectable source of foreign currency and, at the end of the day, money's all that counts. Especially now with their nuke tests which leads to a next logical step which is making of a nuclear warhead small enough to fit atop a ballistic missile. Not to mention all the other expenditures associated with being a nuclear capable country.

Could it be they feel secure enough to afford it, economically secure, and if so, how's that possible? Thanks to China? And still, "how" remains. Unless the Chinese agreed to cover their entire military expenditures, I don't see how's something like that possible.

Crazy thoughts, yes, but I'm out of "normal" ones...

Eeshaan

OK I now need to ask : Is Kim Jong Un mentally unstable or something ? The guy seems totally bat**** insane to me, TBH.

What on earth is with the sudden, completely unprovoked hostility from N. Korea ? Do these lunatics really want to go to war with the West ? If this is just all a ruse to get the US to lift it's sanctions on the North, and get more economic incentives and aid in return for closing down their nuclear programme ?

swerve

Super Moderator
No, he doesn't want to go to war. He's lived in Europe, where he had full access to the same information any W. European has. He knows how far behind N. Korea is, & the ghastly fate that awaits it if it goes to war. This is to do with internal politics first, & setting conditions for negotiations with S. Korea & the USA second.

Kin Jong Un is new. Before he can do anything significant, he (or the faction which backs him) has to establish a position vis-a-vis others within the N. Korean power structure. Nobody outside N. Korea really knows how that works.

rye85

I do not believe the North Korean leader has the nerve to start another war, he has been sabre rattling just to get some consessions from the US
I agree. Almost as if they wanted to use a 'war' as a way of having deals made and sanctions lifted. This didn't happen and now they're digging a hole deeper and deeper.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I know the difference. In East German...;)

I expect the Chinese are really frightened of the waves of refugees going to storm their border if the NK regime implodes.

IMO they wouldn't have much problems with a united Korea. They have a fairly good relationship and important economic ties with the south. The crux is how to make sure the US doesn't stay on the peninsula once NK is gone...
I don't think so. I think the Chinese do not want a reunited Korean penisula under the control of Seoul because that puts a pro US westernised country right on it's long border border with Korea. I think that they'd either prefer the status quo or if reunification happened, a totally demilitarised Korea that is non-aligned and very neutral. Something I don't think the US would agree too. Also the PRC will be very concerned at the moment about millions of North Korean refugees pouring over their border into China if a shooting war breaks out.

Last edited:

I don't think so. I think the Chinese do not want a reunited Korean penisula under the control of Seoul because that puts a pro US westernised country right on it's long border border with Korea. I think that they'd either prefer the status quo or if reunification happened, a totally demilitarised Korea that is non-aligned and very neutral. Something I don't think the US would agree too. Also the PRC will be very concerned at the moment about millions of North Korean refugees pouring over their border into China if a shooting war breaks out.
I am not sure about a fully demilitarised Korea, but I can't see RoK wanting/needing to spend so much on defence, if they no longer have a nutter nuclear power in the North. Similarly is the US going to be so concerned, it has other bases in the region?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
a couple of observations

china does not want disruption on her border - those 2 divisions on the NorK border are fulfilling a couple of roles

1) border protection (they already have huge problems with NorK leakage and its disrupting their border regions)
2) I would be betting that if things go bad, then those divisions will have no compunction at all in crossing over and securing any wmd nearby - most of the NorK wmd, chem, bio, nuke is near the border.

3) south korea doesn't want to undergo the west german lesson of unification with east germany, the side effects of that exercise are still being played out today

4) china doesn;t need disruption to her biggest trading partners, Sth Korea, Japan and the US - that should not be underestimated, those economies are intertwined already

5) if the NorKs do something silly, then I suspect that little Kim will end up in "protective custody" really really quickly

6) there are expectations on china to resolve this as she is the key, the more that NorK spits in their face, the more the chinese lose face about whether they can control proxies or not - does anyone seriously think that they are prepared to lose face in the region and be seen as ineffective?

China is the key here, and whoever is giving this muppet advice is doing him a disservice, it will end up badly, and not for Sth Korea.

the key words in the last 24 hrs from the US and Sth Korea are about recirpocity and contained response ie like for like. think about that in relation to what he said he will do

China will be all over him in a flash as soon as it goes bad

I would suspect that there are 3-4 navies already with subs in the area marking off NorK subs as targets

subs and specforces are their only edge and its a limited tool when the other side has been planning and preparing because you've telegraphed your punches early.

am a strong supporter of waylanders response on this, and from a number of perspectives, we're already seeing that played out.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am not sure about a fully demilitarised Korea, but I can't see RoK wanting/needing to spend so much on defence, if they no longer have a nutter nuclear power in the North. Similarly is the US going to be so concerned, it has other bases in the region?
While I can see the US keeping a small force in a theoretical Reunified Korea (ReK), it's not going to be nearly as large a force as we have there now. Of course, the end of the Cold War didn't mean the US withdrew forces from Western Europe, either (although that's obviously a different thread altogher).

While they could probably move away from conscription at the least, I can still see ReK having a large military, though, mainly because of Japan.

swerve

Super Moderator
Why would they want a large military because of Japan? Japan isn't going to attack anyone, & has been aiding the defence of S. Korea for decades.