New Zealand Army

Very interesting. In the article the consultant states that the the NZ Army MHOV's are experiencing constant failures due to deficient shock absorbers. Is this correct? If so, are any actions being undertaken to remedy this?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Very interesting. In the article the consultant states that the the NZ Army MHOV's are experiencing constant failures due to deficient shock absorbers. Is this correct? If so, are any actions being undertaken to remedy this?
First that I have read about it. Maybe @Cadredave may know something about it.

Shanesworld

If I see one on the road, which is a rarity, I have a dashcam so may be able to get video. Haven't seen many of them down here.
The article might be referring to something else but ours have steel where no others need it. Front axle loading, weight distribution and nz roading authority.

t68

The article might be referring to something else but ours have steel where no others need it. Front axle loading, weight distribution and nz roading authority.

Not sure what you are referring to here as NZ fleet came from the same line as the Australian fleet in Brisbane unless there was a defective parts the same problems should be showing up within the ADF fleet and I suspect overseas as well as these were MOTS purchase. Also I'm lead to believe the vehicles arrived in kit form to be built up

Our fleet has the same issues in regards to road infrastructure with permits needed just to drive down the local streets let alone the highway, with the incompatibility with the latest euro designed heavy vehicles and our antiquated weight limits for front axles.

I know of several instance of euro trucks running foul at the BBQ plates for overweight on the steer axles running MT

Shanesworld

Not sure what you are referring to here as NZ fleet came from the same line as the Australian fleet in Brisbane unless there was a defective parts the same problems should be showing up within the ADF fleet and I suspect overseas as well as these were MOTS purchase. Also I'm lead to believe the vehicles arrived in kit form to be built up

Our fleet has the same issues in regards to road infrastructure with permits needed just to drive down the local streets let alone the highway, with the incompatibility with the latest euro designed heavy vehicles and our antiquated weight limits for front axles.

I know of several instance of euro trucks running foul at the BBQ plates for overweight on the steer axles running MT
There was a modification. Exact details i am unsure but my predeccessor was involved in the design and implementation. This occured after they were introduced into service here.

Reactions: t68

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Are you sure? Because our fleet was added to the end of the pommy army order and arrived here about 5 - 6 years ago.

RegR

No they did'nt, our HXs were direct from Brit slots and Australian versions are HX2s. That's how we got ours relatively quickly in comparison.

t68

Are you sure? Because our fleet was added to the end of the pommy army order and arrived here about 5 - 6 years ago.

According to this yep, I actually thought the same until I read this

RMMV Australia Hands Over Final Vehicles to New Zealand (defense-aerospace.com)

Medium-heavy operational vehicles (MHOV) | Ministry of Defence Website

Up to 200 new trucks have been purchased from Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles (Australia), replacing 290 vehicles in the current fleet. This project is part of the NZDF Land Transport Capability Programme.
Edit

The UK stock were built by RMMV Vienna which makes sense as it would have been cheaper for the pom's being in the EU at that time
According to a passage in wiki (yeah I know) that NZDF bought 4x HX77 8×8 supplied from UK stocks, that might have been the miss understanding

A additional link within this site may have had it;
New Zealand Orders 200 HX 58, HX 60 and HX 77 Truck Systems (deagel.com)

Rheinmetall Defence - 404 (rheinmetall-defence.com)

Last edited:

RegR

According to this yep, I actually thought the same until I read this

RMMV Australia Hands Over Final Vehicles to New Zealand (defense-aerospace.com)

Medium-heavy operational vehicles (MHOV) | Ministry of Defence Website

Edit

The UK stock were built by RMMV Vienna which makes sense as it would have been cheaper for the pom's being in the EU at that time
According to a passage in wiki (yeah I know) that NZDF bought 4x HX77 8×8 supplied from UK stocks, that might have been the miss understanding

A additional link within this site may have had it;
New Zealand Orders 200 HX 58, HX 60 and HX 77 Truck Systems (deagel.com)

Rheinmetall Defence - 404 (rheinmetall-defence.com)
RMMV (Australia) are just the salesman in this part of the world so sorted the deal and provide "local" support for the vehicles here in NZ. if we had a dealership here then we would have bought them through RMMV (New Zealand). The 4 8x8s direct from UK stocks were actually the engineer bridging units and were a separate project, they actually came in UK green, and still are afaik, whereas the ordered fleet were finished in NZ green.

t68

RMMV (Australia) are just the salesman in this part of the world so sorted the deal and provide "local" support for the vehicles here in NZ. if we had a dealership here then we would have bought them through RMMV (New Zealand). The 4 8x8s direct from UK stocks were actually the engineer bridging units and were a separate project, they actually came in UK green, and still are afaik, whereas the ordered fleet were finished in NZ green.

Yep stand corrected, I thought they did until the media release, everything kept pointing towards RMMVA until I found this. must have been a bit of creative accounting to make it look like RMMVA can sell vehicles

Rheinmetall delivers 40 new trucks to New Zealand Defence Force (army-technology.com)

RegR

Yep stand corrected, I thought they did until the media release, everything kept pointing towards RMMVA until I found this. must have been a bit of creative accounting to make it look like RMMVA can sell vehicles

Rheinmetall delivers 40 new trucks to New Zealand Defence Force (army-technology.com)
Hopefully they keep the ball rolling with them now they have a working relationship (or someone at least) for the remaining garrison fleet as the project seems to have stalled. The legacy unimogs and 2228s are still not getting any younger and the same issues still apply but in saying that the mogs recently proved their worth in the big floods down south, something I hear the MANs may have struggled in.

Shanesworld

Hopefully they keep the ball rolling with them now they have a working relationship (or someone at least) for the remaining garrison fleet as the project seems to have stalled. The legacy unimogs and 2228s are still not getting any younger and the same issues still apply but in saying that the mogs recently proved their worth in the big floods down south, something I hear the MANs may have struggled in.
We are going to miss those mogs. If anyone wants to get into reproducing unimog gearboxes and other driveline components i know a couple of mechanics who would love you forever.
We could always refit them as hybrids to meet upcoming govt fleet co2 commitments........

swerve

Super Moderator
Unimogs are still made, but I presume that current Unimogs are incompatible with very old ones, & Mercedes-Benz has a cut-off on parts production, which is a pity.

FormerDirtDart

Thales Australia last week began cutting steel for New Zealand's future Bushmaster vehicles, per an article at Overt Defense, linking a tweet from the NZ Army account.. A link to a MOD document outlining the selection Bushmaster as the NZ Army Protected Vehicle-Medium (PV-M) over the KMW Dingo 3 6x6 and GDLS Eagle 6x6 was also included, with some redactions.
While it is know that five variants have been specified (Troop Carrier, Command & Control, Maintenance Logistics and Ambulance) there is still no breakdown per type of the 43 vehicles ordered

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have to say I am getting sceptical of the 2nd Tranche of 15 being ordered whilst Mr Henare is in charge (well is he?)

BTW any surplus U1300L Ambo's would make for great Expedition Campers to take the rod and rifle for a few days sport in the backcountry! :)

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thales Australia last week began cutting steel for New Zealand's future Bushmaster vehicles, per an article at Overt Defense, linking a tweet from the NZ Army account.. A link to a MOD document outlining the selection Bushmaster as the NZ Army Protected Vehicle-Medium (PV-M) over the KMW Dingo 3 6x6 and GDLS Eagle 6x6 was also included, with some redactions.
While it is know that five variants have been specified (Troop Carrier, Command & Control, Maintenance Logistics and Ambulance) there is still no breakdown per type of the 43 vehicles ordered

Sorry had not stayed up to date since the announcement, very happy to see they are new build, awesome to see !!

Can't wait till I do a trip to NZ and see them running around areas like Tekapo, saw some NZLAV's & Pinz's up there the last time I was there a few years ago :)

Curious, has any timeline been set for the replacement of the NZLAV's ?

Cheers