New Zealand Army

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
RFI out for the remaining pinzgauers replacement, 205 vehicles, 99 light and 106 medium, to replace the current fleet of 261. Seems the worrying trend of not replacing equipment, vehicles etc on at least a 1 for 1 basis continues. Seemingly strange concept for this particular capability considering the envisaged army expansion plans?
The MRZR D4 fleet rollout and the Tactical Mobility further tranche for the NZSAS is balancing that back up though.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Plus if you looked at some of the Unimog's that were sold at Trentham a couple of years ago some had less then 10k on the clock, we were probably carrying to many vehicles, but I acknowledge its a balancing act.

RegR

The MRZR D4 fleet rollout and the Tactical Mobility further tranche for the NZSAS is balancing that back up though.
To a degree, the MRZRs are more upgrades to quads and MCs in their roles (light) not really a replacement for a 6x6 pinzgauer. A mitsi triton would be better in the full transport role and be more useful. Even the armoured replacements have dropped in overall numbers from 60 to 43 and SAS variants were over and above as they never had armoured pins in the first place although I do admit bushmasters will be far more effective and capable than their predecessors we also need to take into account the now added roles such as ambulance further diluting the numbers.

RegR

Plus if you looked at some of the Unimog's that were sold at Trentham a couple of years ago some had less then 10k on the clock, we were probably carrying to many vehicles, but I acknowledge its a balancing act.
Haha if they were anything like the rovers that was probably the second go around the clock or probably spent it's life shuttling troops and stores around the Waiouru training area. Military vehicles do not generally clock up anywhere near as many Ks as their commercial counterparts but that does not diminish the role or requirement ie 1 unimog cannot be doing 2 jobs in 3 places on 4 deployments so to speak. I remember when I was in we had the bare minimum of vehicles to do the job so anything like a breakdown or deployment really affected outputs noticeably and compromises would need to be made. The pool fleet concept MFU in Trentham has somewhat addressed this but then obviously if something big was going on then it was still a case of first in first served or paper scissors rank for priority.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Haha if they were anything like the rovers that was probably the second go around the clock or probably spent it's life shuttling troops and stores around the Waiouru training area. Military vehicles do not generally clock up anywhere near as many Ks as their commercial counterparts but that does not diminish the role or requirement ie 1 unimog cannot be doing 2 jobs in 3 places on 4 deployments so to speak. I remember when I was in we had the bare minimum of vehicles to do the job so anything like a breakdown or deployment really affected outputs noticeably and compromises would need to be made. The pool fleet concept MFU in Trentham has somewhat addressed this but then obviously if something big was going on then it was still a case of first in first served or paper scissors rank for priority.
I remember when I was in and it got to the point with the RLs, if they had to buy a new tyre for the vehicle they would write the RL off. I was at Def HQ when they had made the decision to buy the Unimogs and showed us the promotional film one arvo.

RegR

I remember when I was in and it got to the point with the RLs, if they had to buy a new tyre for the vehicle they would write the RL off. I was at Def HQ when they had made the decision to buy the Unimogs and showed us the promotional film one arvo.
Yea I think all the fleets get to that point near the end of their lives, usually because we keep them for so long that all they end up being good for is museum pieces haha. Rovers were not fixed once the BER threshold was met and just parked up to await their fate and we left the mogs in Timor on the last mission as it was not worth the time or effort to bring them home same as the rodeos from the first Timor.

Geez a unimog would have been like jumping into a spaceship back then compared to a RL and 170hp would have seemed like 1000 haha!

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quite a few of those old RL's ended up with a second life as yellow "Mountain Goats" with RAL taking skiers up the old Bruce Rd from the Chateau to the Whakapapa skifield. They must have done well over 30 winters after their NZ Army service.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yea I think all the fleets get to that point near the end of their lives, usually because we keep them for so long that all they end up being good for is museum pieces haha. Rovers were not fixed once the BER threshold was met and just parked up to await their fate and we left the mogs in Timor on the last mission as it was not worth the time or effort to bring them home same as the rodeos from the first Timor.

Geez a unimog would have been like jumping into a spaceship back then compared to a RL and 170hp would have seemed like 1000 haha!
When I joined the RNZAF in 1974 they were still using Thames trucks that looked like they came from the WW2 era. They still had WW2 Queen Mary's as well. The No 4 Battle Dress uniforms were WW2 pattern and my dad said scratched much the same. He reckoned the one I had was probably in stores when he left in December 1945.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If I would chuck my 1 cents worth in, the ACV as used by the USMC could be a possibility. Probably cheaper than the Boxer and capable of transporting a complete section in a single vehicle.
Boxer is turning out to be hideously expensive. Great capability no doubt, but Boxer CRV for Australia is more expensive than our LAND 400 Ph.3 vehicles are going to be…

Bob53

Boxer is turning out to be hideously expensive. Great capability no doubt, but Boxer CRV for Australia is more expensive than our LAND 400 Ph.3 vehicles are going to be…
I know the mods don’t like short posts but really? Where did that info come from?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I know the mods don’t like short posts but really? Where did that info come from?
LAND 400 - Phase 2 - 211 vehicles and supporting elements for $5.6b - $26.5m each.

LAND 400 - Phase 3 - ‘up to’ 450 vehicles, 17 maneuver support vehicles for $15b. $33m ‘each’. (Original project plan). No proof there I guess…

However the 2 phases of project are scoped vastly differently. Phase 3 includes options for armoured mortar systems, significant infrastructure including training ranges and vastly increased initial sustainment, spare parts, munitions and so forth that Phase 2 simply doesn’t have.

The overall cost is such, that Boxer is actually dearer…