Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand Army

Discussion in 'Army & Security Forces' started by Whiskyjack, Feb 14, 2006.

Share This Page

1. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Unfortunately you are right there Rob.
    Yep and as in 1939 and especially 1941 / 42 them chooks will come home to roost really painfully.

2. steve33

steve33 Member

Inside the NZSAS: creating the elite soldier

I was reading this article and in the NZSAS and in 4 years 31 people made the regiment out of 243 that tried out which is a failure rate of 87%.

I remember watching the doco from about 15 years ago where only 5 made it out of 52 that was one selection cycle which is a failure rate of 90% and you find most tier 1 special ops have a failure rate of 90% or more.

I can't imagine the NZSAS have lowered standards they are ruthless in regards to that and pass rates can differ for each group selected to try out for the regiment they will all vary in quality of personnel.

I was wondering are people going into NZSAS selection better prepared these days than in the past is the military helping people to prepare physically before they go in.?

3. ngatimozart

I think that people are going to the selection better prepared now than maybe say 20 - 30 years ago.

4. steve33

steve33 Member

I thought that must be the case because the NZSAS are ruthless with their standards they know where they need to be and don't compromise.

ngatimozart likes this.
  5. ngatimozart

Yep and I never tried when i was in the mob, because I wouldn't have survived the first morning let alone the first day :D My old man and uncles drilled into me before I signed up as a teenager: "Don't volunteer for anything" :D:D

6. htbrst

htbrst Active Member

Linton Army base is finally getting it's perimeter fence replaced with something fit for purpose as opposed to fit for keeping the guard sheep (and a few goats and cows) off the road. You can compare the quality of the current fence in this Google street view picture - Manawatu Prison on the left, Linton Camp on the right: Google Maps

Construction of Linton Military Camp fence set to start in March

7. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

Once under construction take pictures and produce a brochure. Use wall instead of fence in the description and you have an exportable product to you know where.:D:D

8. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

Not funny. If one were to be exposed to some of the sh*tshow I have been which parts of the US political scene has become, and the level of discourse where not just differences of opinion are put on exhibition both also what I would describe as bigotry and xenophobia, one likely not find the situation amusing either.

[RANT] It has (with people I know personally) gotten to the point where if one has a different opinion, discussion of the reasons for the difference in opinion is not just no longer possible, but a bad idea because at least some will automatically assume that the reason for the difference in opinion is that one is ignorant and/or being led by mainstream propaganda and if only one researched "the facts" themselves...[/RANT]

We now return you back to your regular discussion of the NZ Army.

9. ngatimozart

You do realise that those guard sheep are carnivorous and man eaters? The goats and cows also have bad attitudes and are personally trained by the camp RSM.

Rob c likes this.
  10. pgclift

pgclift New Member

Off Topic, but I acknowledge ngatimozart's profile picture and sadly report that Australian News is reporting Windsor Davies has passed peacefully aged 88.

Oh dear, how sad!

CJohn and ngatimozart like this.
  11. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

While googling some NZ defense-related terms, I stumbled across this lengthy video from an American firearms channel that appears to give an explanation for the firing pin issues with the new NZ rifle.

To be honest, I didn't have the patience to watch the whole thing but others may find it interesting.

I don't know anything about the reviewer and his credibility, but he certainly does seem to love LMT products.

This appeas to be another MARS review from the same guy.

ngatimozart likes this.
  12. Novascotiaboy

Novascotiaboy Active Member

Shepperd Media is reporting a buy of MAN wreckers. Unfortunately I cant link to the story .If anyone can provide details I would be most appreciative.

I assume they will be this type as already trialed by the NZ Army.

13. ngatimozart

First I heard about it too. Article is paywalled but this is link to it New Zealand orders MAN wreckers - MLF - Military Logistics - Shephard Media and I don't have access.

14. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

Oops. Accidental post.

15. Gibbo

Gibbo Active Member

ngatimozart likes this.