New Zealand Army

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Looks like a good weapon.

Is the NZ army infantry platoons using a 7.62mm belt feed in each section to replace the C-9 and have they also issued each section with a 7.62mm section marksmen rifle in semi automatic.
7.62mm C9 replaced the 5.56mm C9 about two to three years ago going of memory our 7.62mm DMR is produced by the same company Lewis Machine & Tool company so both weapons are produced & supported by LMT and the DMR was beautiful to use & shoot.

Dave

RegR

Seen 4 Pinz SOVs on the back of HETs heading towards Trentham a couple of days ago. Most likely making way for the new supacats as I doubt they are going down for op refurb so perhaps being re-rolled for another unit/owner or even direct to Burnham? Either way hopefully not going into storage as would be abit of a waste of vehicles IMO.

kiwipatriot69

Seen 4 Pinz SOVs on the back of HETs heading towards Trentham a couple of days ago. Most likely making way for the new supacats as I doubt they are going down for op refurb so perhaps being re-rolled for another unit/owner or even direct to Burnham? Either way hopefully not going into storage as would be abit of a waste of vehicles IMO.
Is there any plans to sell off the pinzgaur locally, i wonder if there would be any issue with this, providing any mounted weapon or sensitive tech or communications of course is removed?

RegR

Is there any plans to sell off the pinzgaur locally, i wonder if there would be any issue with this, providing any mounted weapon or sensitive tech or communications of course is removed?
TBH I don't think they will sell the SOVs unless they got rid of the rest of the fleet as they would still be useful within army, those full armoured pinz however are another story.....flick them to the highest bidder ASAP IMO.

Weapons and comms equipment would not go with any vehicles and are easily removable as are the mounts so would be stripped down to baseline spec as per previous fleets sold.

The only exception to this would be the excess LAV with the 25mm as they are more integral to the turret and part of the overall package rather than added on to suit as is some of its other specific features.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There is nothing of importance in the LOV fleet they will end up like the old V8 LR stripped down and sold off locally to the highest bidder, all the stuff you mentioned like weapons & comms are not permanent fixtures to the vehicle. TBH I would buy a GS LOV for the farm if they became available.

CD

kiwipatriot69

There is nothing of importance in the LOV fleet they will end up like the old V8 LR stripped down and sold off locally to the highest bidder, all the stuff you mentioned like weapons & comms are not permanent fixtures to the vehicle. TBH I would buy a GS LOV for the farm if they became available.

CD
Wouldnt mind one myself as a weekend runabout maybe take camping/hiking during the holidays. I wonder how much room in the back for two horizontally :D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Wouldnt mind one myself as a weekend runabout maybe take camping/hiking during the holidays. I wonder how much room in the back for two horizontally :D
Get yourself a Mog. That would do the job nicely. Fit it out for comfort; you know the important things like a beer fridge and satellite tv to watch the footy on :D As long as you have a HT licence to drive it.

kiwipatriot69

Get yourself a Mog. That would do the job nicely. Fit it out for comfort; you know the important things like a beer fridge and satellite tv to watch the footy on :D As long as you have a HT licence to drive it.
Bugger . No ht licence . Unimog a bit big, neighbours wont like sharing the driveway with it ha ha! No garage at my flat.

RegR

CD
Just like the old rovers every man and his dog will want one for the farm, beach, bush. I could go a cheeky SOV myself just for abit of novelty factor although I think somehow the price could be alitle restrictive going off their initial purchase price, perhaps in a decade or so...

RegR

Still waiting for some mogs to start hitting the market en masse, would be interested in their sale price. Surely soon as the MANs are pretty much rolled out to user units now, must be a parade ground full of them somewhere.

rjtjrt

Does NZ Army pass the Unimog and Pinzgauer onto their Reserve Units?
Maybe in NZ reserve get the same equipment as regulars.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just like the old rovers every man and his dog will want one for the farm, beach, bush. I could go a cheeky SOV myself just for abit of novelty factor although I think somehow the price could be alitle restrictive going off their initial purchase price, perhaps in a decade or so...
I had a look at the Diesel LR 109 they converted for Bosnia unfortunately a wee bit out of my price range but a LOV in ten years time a definite purchase.

RegR

I had a look at the Diesel LR 109 they converted for Bosnia unfortunately a wee bit out of my price range but a LOV in ten years time a definite purchase.
I've also seen a few modified ones with duallys that were diesel hardtops, think they were the sig EW wagons so all ssshhh, would have loved to have gotten hold of one of those but if those Bos hardtops were expensive then no doubt those ones would have been even pricier. I loved the rovers in general back then, no mess no fuss, not a typical drive but definately an adventure.

RegR

Does NZ Army pass the Unimog and Pinzgauer onto their Reserve Units?
Maybe in NZ reserve get the same equipment as regulars.
They got the old rovers and unimogs in limited numbers as per regulars, not so much the pinnys and MANs due to numbers except the tanky reserves who have a few armoured pinz. More so have the NMVs (currently tritons) as the norm GS wagon and I think they will get whatever finally replaces the remaining garrison fleet unimogs.

In saying that they are supposed to be more intergrated and trained with their parent corps nowadays so will have better access to all their unit specific vehicles anyway, so pretty much yes at least for exposure and qualifications.

steve33

7.62mm C9 replaced the 5.56mm C9 about two to three years ago going of memory our 7.62mm DMR is produced by the same company Lewis Machine & Tool company so both weapons are produced & supported by LMT and the DMR was beautiful to use & shoot.

Dave
I saw the video of the NZDF testing the DMR it looked high quality.

Are we using .338 or .50 cal snipers rifles yet.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I saw the video of the NZDF testing the DMR it looked high quality.

Are we using .338 or .50 cal snipers rifles yet.
At the moment only the specials are using .338 and .50, conventional army 7.62mm sniper rifle replacement is the next small arms project. DMR is a sweet weapon system to learn and shoot now both systems are made by LMT support & training has just been simplified.

steve33

At the moment only the specials are using .338 and .50, conventional army 7.62mm sniper rifle replacement is the next small arms project. DMR is a sweet weapon system to learn and shoot now both systems are made by LMT support & training has just been simplified.
Some good things have happened for the NZ army over the last few years with weapon purchases you guys have got some good kit now.

I wanted to get your opinion on something i was watching a doco on sky about the history of the Australian SAS and one of their guys was talking about their operations in Timor and he said they operated with the NZSAS and he said the NZSAS was slow and methodical then he said something like if they were any slower they wouldn't get moving at all but then he said they were good.

Would he have meant planning operations because our guys are very fit and are known for their tracking skills so they have no problems crossing terrain and being from NZ are experienced operating in mountains.

t68

I wanted to get your opinion on something i was watching a doco on sky about the history of the Australian SAS and one of their guys was talking about their operations in Timor and he said they operated with the NZSAS and he said the NZSAS was slow and methodical then he said something like if they were any slower they wouldn't get moving at all but then he said they were good.

Would he have meant planning operations because our guys are very fit and are known for their tracking skills so they have no problems crossing terrain and being from NZ are experienced operating in mountains.

I imagine that would come under opspec in regards to tactics, but I guess it comes down to a similer feeling from the Americans on how we (AusArmy)operated in Vietnam, they thought we where to slow