New Zealand Army

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Can you fix the link please. Needs the f at the end :)
Nothing new except all Army rifles will be 16inch with Navy/Air Force getting 14inch barrels, I think the author of the article forgot about Armoured crews who historically have always had a shorter barrel than the rest of Army due to confined space within armoured vehicles.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wonder if the shift to the newer fifle/ammo (Mk262 Mod 1) means that the BDC/reticules in the ACOG need to be redone. Apparently new round/rifle extends range to 600m from the <400m reported in NZ media re A-stan.

Comes in black with optional camo paint, contra to earlier reports of a green rifle.
Airforce and navy versions have 14.5 inch barrel.
Was hoping we would get M320 under barrel grenade launchers.
No need too as the sight reticule has been designed for Mk262 Mod1 77 gr ammo.

Optics
All MARS-L will be fitted with a Trijicon Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG) which provides a four power magnification and includes a Ballistic Drop
Compensating (BDC) reticule for range with stadia to assist in applying aim for wind and moving targets. There is also a range finding tool within the reticule
and a miniature red dot reflex sight mounted on top of the optical gunsight for close quarters shooting. The BDC reticule is matched to the NZDF’s operational 77gr Mk 262 Mod 1 5.56mm ammunition. The sight means weapon operators have the ability to identify and accurately engage targets out to 600m.

rjtjrt

Wonder if the shift to the newer fifle/ammo (Mk262 Mod 1).........
Apparently new round/rifle extends range to 600m from the <400m reported in NZ media re A-stan.
I hope they are correct re effective range. I am sure thoroughly tested by NZ Army.
However lots of experienced and smart people thought 5.56 rifles that were used at first in A'ghan were going to kill at much greater than 400m, but surprise when Taliban got up after being hit.
My point is hope the new rifle that is said to be 600m has been battle tested to ensure no surprises again.
Perhaps I am too cynical.

RegR

Nothing new except all Army rifles will be 16inch with Navy/Air Force getting 14inch barrels, I think the author of the article forgot about Armoured crews who historically have always had a shorter barrel than the rest of Army due to confined space within armoured vehicles.
Agree, I still think there will be a mix of barrel lengths especially with army possibly air force and on ops as well as per now.

Would have thought they would have optioned at least a portion of the MFU stock in the standard green and tan finishes for deployments as a uniform 'cam' as surely more resilient embedded than paint? Maybe an added cost or possibly relaxing who can/cannot customise their weapons on ops.

New drills, parade drill, vehicle mounts, storage etc, a busy time ahead.

kiwipatriot69

Has anybody else been watching news on the bay of plenty seige at last night on TV3 where 4 officers got shot? Nz Army sent 3 Lav 3 vehicles as backup, clearly shown in background. Wondered if in other events like Napier shootings some years earlier where Lavs were called on, would they be used merely as cover for police and emercency services, or would they have permission to engage? in a built up suburban area too.:confused:

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Has anybody else been watching news on the bay of plenty seige at last night on TV3 where 4 officers got shot? Nz Army sent 3 Lav 3 vehicles as backup, clearly shown in background. Wondered if in other events like Napier shootings some years earlier where Lavs were called on, would they be used merely as cover for police and emercency services, or would they have permission to engage? in a built up suburban area too.:confused:
They were there to assist STG in case talks broke down and they (STG) had to go in LAV are only for protection and are unarmed. This incident was a lone gun man why he shot four police officers is anyone's guess.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They were there to assist STG in case talks broke down and they (STG) had to go in LAV are only for protection and are unarmed. This incident was a lone gun man why he shot four police officers is anyone's guess.
Yep. If he hadn't shot at the Police helo looking for whacky baccy and then at the other cops he might've only worn a growing charge with short time served. But now he's in a power of trouble and maybe in for a long lag. Stupid boy. They had a NH90 there as well.

kiwipatriot69

Yep. If he hadn't shot at the Police helo looking for whacky baccy and then at the other cops he might've only worn a growing charge with short time served. But now he's in a power of trouble and maybe in for a long lag. Stupid boy. They had a NH90 there as well.
The gunman is lucky he didnt get shot dead himself! im not sure our Australian and American counterparts would have shown the same restraint we do. Unsure what firearm he was using, if fired upon then, the crew just have a thin layer of armour and no live ammo from the Lav in that scenario? i would hope then criminals dont have access to the firepower required to punch through it then.:(

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The gunman is lucky he didnt get shot dead himself! im not sure our Australian and American counterparts would have shown the same restraint we do. Unsure what firearm he was using, if fired upon then, the crew just have a thin layer of armour and no live ammo from the Lav in that scenario? i would hope then criminals dont have access to the firepower required to punch through it then.:(
The LAV 3 used by NZ is the same as Canada's LAV 3. The standard version offers full protection against 7.62 x 51 mm NATO rounds. Both countries up-armoured their LAVs for protection against 14.5 x 114 mm rounds for duty in Afghanistan. I believe NZ gun restrictions are even greater than Canada's and NZ doesn't share a 5000 mile border with a country where guns are easily available to almost anyone.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:eek:fftopic
Apparently he had a shotgun and a .22 rifle. I note his whanau (Maori = family) got all upset that he might've got shot by the cops and it's all the cops fault. Well this Maori says if he hadn't shot at and shot cops he wouldn't been in their sights. Feeling in some ex service social media is we're hoping he wasn't one of us. Any way it has ended well with no loss of life. :eek:fftopic

kiwipatriot69

The LAV 3 used by NZ is the same as Canada's LAV 3. The standard version offers full protection against 7.62 x 51 mm NATO rounds. Both countries up-armoured their LAVs for protection against 14.5 x 114 mm rounds for duty in Afghanistan. I believe NZ gun restrictions are even greater than Canada's and NZ doesn't share a 5000 mile border with a country where guns are easily available to almost anyone.
Good to know they are upgraded, would that be just the ones we took to Afghanistan though, i see Canada has thier Lav 3 going through a full upgrade programme, but havent found any mention of ours in the media or white paper yet.

kiwipatriot69

Thanks Ngati,yeah good no one got killed. Guess thats why they call the drug dope eh? he certainly was. :] The NH90 used would have some degree of armour against being shot at too i would hope.

RegR

Good to know they are upgraded, would that be just the ones we took to Afghanistan though, i see Canada has thier Lav 3 going through a full upgrade programme, but havent found any mention of ours in the media or white paper yet.
I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about a lone gunman in his house taking down a LAV, even standard, and if so we either got problems with our armoured vehicles or problems with our gun control, it was Kawerau not Kabul.

Wonder why they did'nt just use armoured pinzgauers as WMR have 4 located just up the road? If we cannot use them for something as low level as this then surely no confidence for them in combat. I thought if we did upgrade to something else more suitable (than pinzA) that possibly a few armoured pinz could be handed over to police for AOS, STG, crowd control etc.

Hopefully we tag ours onto the end of Canadas LAV6.0 programme as it should coincide with our MLU by then. Production line will be up and running, any issues worked through and costs known therefore a seemingly safe bet.

kiwipatriot69

I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about a lone gunman in his house taking down a LAV, even standard, and if so we either got problems with our armoured vehicles or problems with our gun control, it was Kawerau not Kabul.

Wonder why they did'nt just use armoured pinzgauers as WMR have 4 located just up the road? If we cannot use them for something as low level as this then surely no confidence for them in combat. I thought if we did upgrade to something else more suitable (than pinzA) that possibly a few armoured pinz could be handed over to police for AOS, STG, crowd control etc.

Hopefully we tag ours onto the end of Canadas LAV6.0 programme as it should coincide with our MLU by then. Production line will be up and running, any issues worked through and costs known therefore a seemingly safe bet.
I made a case of our Lavs survivability as cops are noting a lot of drug dealers are being found in possesion of illegally bought assault rifles, just tonights news showed that. Unsure what make or firepower. Personally i think handing a few armoured pinz over to police is a good idea, seeing American police forces and some european ones already do. Less lethal fitout like watercannons or teargas for crowd control too.And it frees up the Lav for elsewhere.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I made a case of our Lavs survivability as cops are noting a lot of drug dealers are being found in possesion of illegally bought assault rifles, just tonights news showed that. Unsure what make or firepower. Personally i think handing a few armoured pinz over to police is a good idea, seeing American police forces and some european ones already do. Less lethal fitout like watercannons or teargas for crowd control too.And it frees up the Lav for elsewhere.
The 'stock' NZLAV should have sufficient protection to resist NATO 7.62 mm AP rounds IIRC. Unless armed criminal elements were to get their hands on large bore small arms like anti-material rifles, elephant or buffalo guns, the standard armour should provide adequate protection.

One thing not to overlook when considering the value in an armoured military vehicle in essentially civilian service, is their potential ability to get to places otherwise inaccessible in poor conditions. My local law enforcement has a surplus six-wheeled LAV which provide invaluable in patrolling areas of town following major flooding as a result of storms. Portions of town were either flooded, or cut off as a result of flooding, and the LAV could still be driven on the flooded roads.

One thing I am quite curious about, is what is the source of these illegal assault rifles being found in the hands of criminal elements, and how are they entering into NZ in the first place?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
With millions of assault rifles available my guess is these weapons are smuggled in using the same methods as used for illegal drugs. If there is serious money to be made, criminals will find a way.

KiwiRob

Apparently he had a shotgun and a .22 rifle. I note his whanau (Maori = family) got all upset that he might've got shot by the cops and it's all the cops fault. Well this Maori says if he hadn't shot at and shot cops he wouldn't been in their sights. Feeling in some ex service social media is we're hoping he wasn't one of us. Any way it has ended well with no loss of life. :eek:fftopic
Gotta admit I was hoping the police would have shot him dead, we can't have citizens shooting our cops, and it would save the cost of a trial and his (hopefully) many many years behind bars.

kiwipatriot69

Gotta admit I was hoping the police would have shot him dead, we can't have citizens shooting our cops, and it would save the cost of a trial and his (hopefully) many many years behind bars.
Pity the lavs hadnt of got there sooner , with the Nh90, like as soon as the police were taking casualties. I wonder what the policy is or response time would be to move a Lav around the country in response to multiple shootings, as they are mostly up north, and weigh too much for our C130 to lift greater than 400 km. Which is another good reason i think for police to take over this role, give them a few armoured pinzgauers and spread them around the areas where crime is highest.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I to had the same feelings and agree crims shooting cops should attract serious consequences. However the law must be seen to be obeyed in all respects.
Pity the lavs hadnt of got there sooner , with the Nh90, like as soon as the police were taking casualties. I wonder what the policy is or response time would be to move a Lav around the country in response to multiple shootings, as they are mostly up north, and weigh too much for our C130 to lift greater than 400 km. Which is another good reason i think for police to take over this role, give them a few armoured pinzgauers and spread them around the areas where crime is highest.
For the amount of times that they would be required to be deployed operationally, they would be an unnecessary strain on an already under resourced police budget. The current arrangement would be the best option.

OK this has derailed this thread enough now.

40 deg south

Army General: Screw This Procurement Nightmare. Give Me Glocks.

Saw this link from a ranting US website, and thought it might be of interest given NZDF's recent purchase. The URL pretty much summarises the piece.

More details

Milley criticized the program’s 356-page requirement document and lengthy testing phase slated to cost $17 million for technology that has existed for years.

“The testing itself is two years long on known technology,” Milley told law makers at a March 16 House Armed Services Committee hearing.

“We are not talking about nuclear subs or going to the moon here. We are talking about a pistol
356 pages of specs. Ouch.

Last edited: