New turkish tank !!???

Treachery

Isn't 2015 a bit far away? That's 8 years just to come up with the prototypes, and let's not forget that Turkey will be receiving significant technological help from South Korea. What if the prototypes don't meet TSK's criteria? Then are they going to work on another design for 8 more years while Turkey's certain neighbors catch up to it in terms of Land Forces' strength as well?

2015! Pfft. How lame is that? :mad:

orko_8

Isn't 2015 a bit far away? That's 8 years just to come up with the prototypes, and let's not forget that Turkey will be receiving significant technological help from South Korea.
I would answer by giving the Arjun project as an example, and then most probably fall victim to a massive lynch by Indian forumers :) But you get the idea I guess...

DefConGuru

Good move for Turkey but one question...why not update the 300 existing Leopard 2A4? The 2A6 and newer variants are taking IED/RPG attacks in Afghanistan better than the M1A2's are in Iraq, and upgrading these tanks would make them superior to the upgraded M60 that is currently the armor backbone of the military. Why are the 2A4's being overlooked? Are they in bad shape/high attrition?

Burunsuzoglu

Good move for Turkey but one question...why not update the 300 existing Leopard 2A4? The 2A6 and newer variants are taking IED/RPG attacks in Afghanistan better than the M1A2's are in Iraq, and upgrading these tanks would make them superior to the upgraded M60 that is currently the armor backbone of the military. Why are the 2A4's being overlooked? Are they in bad shape/high attrition?
The L2's we recently purchased from Germany are in such bad condition that they are all in storage awaiting repairs, and as I understand it the constant upgrading is more expensive than a brand new system capable easily accommodating future upgrades. Besides we are sick and tired of seeking permission from a bunch of tree hugging Germans every time we need to use equipment we have purchased with our cold hard cash. Besides there are lot of Oil/Gas rich Turkic central Asian states desperate to upgrade their equipment and we have no problems with supplying them, or didn't you notice the Turkish APC's being used by the Georgian Army?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As if Turkey needs to seek permission to use the delivered Leos in any way they want.

And nobody forced you to buy the tanks from this bunch of tree jugging Germans...

2S1

Banned Member
The L2's we recently purchased from Germany are in such bad condition that they are all in storage awaiting repairs, and as I understand it the constant upgrading is more expensive than a brand new system capable easily accommodating future upgrades.
If this is true, Turkey would be the first user I have heard of to complain about the Leopard 2. Dare I speculate that the problems are more to do with the user than the product?

I also refuse to believe that an upgrade to Turkey's Leo 2 fleet would not be a more cost-effective option over developing a whole new MBT. Especially with the inherent problems that such development involves, as already stated here, the Arjun being a classic example.

Burunsuzoglu

If this is true, Turkey would be the first user I have heard of to complain about the Leopard 2. Dare I speculate that the problems are more to do with the user than the product?

I also refuse to believe that an upgrade to Turkey's Leo 2 fleet would not be a more cost-effective option over developing a whole new MBT. Especially with the inherent problems that such development involves, as already stated here, the Arjun being a classic example.
The Germans sold us shit and I personally find your comments regarding end users offensive bordering on racists, the petrol and hydrologic pipes were so badly degraded every single tank is awaiting repair. Besides weapons are a drain on the economy - why should we not try and reduce the future cost by developing our own weapons systems and exporting them to third countries. Besides the Germans cut their own noses when they refused to sell us the Leopards in the first place, and I personally have an axe to grind, in the late 80's early 90's we had to make do with shite out of date M48 & M60's whilst Leopards languished in Army barracks because the Germans took offence to us using our own weapons for non NATO purposes?

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
"bordering on racists"
Aww, come on, troll.

Fact is, your comment about "permissions" is BS as you don't need one. Fact two is, Turkey is the only nation in the world that is unable to maintain the Leopard 2 (if that is true). It stands free for you, Burunsuzoglu, to give us Germans the fault for that, but than don't wonder that the world is laughing. Why are the Turks incapable to do what the Greeks, Chileans, Singaporeans and many others are able to do without problems? Not qualified enough?

2S1

Banned Member
The Germans sold us shit and I personally find your comments regarding end users offensive bordering on racists, the petrol and hydrologic pipes were so badly degraded every single tank is awaiting repair. Besides weapons are a drain on the economy - why should we not try and reduce the future cost by developing our own weapons systems and exporting them to third countries. Besides the Germans cut their own noses when they refused to sell us the Leopards in the first place, and I personally have an axe to grind, in the late 80's early 90's we had to make do with shite out of date M48 & M60's whilst Leopards languished in Army barracks because the Germans took offence to us using our own weapons for non NATO purposes?
Racist - considering your earlier comments in regards to Germans, I find your statement ironic!

What I was trying to state (in a non-racist manner and without lowering the tone with gutter language) is that maybe the Turkish Armed Forces need to re-evaluate their maintanence regime to overcome their problems with the Leo 2. Afterall, I don't think anyone can argue against the merits of the Leopard's performance and build quality.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As if Turkey needs to seek permission to use the delivered Leos in any way they want.

And nobody forced you to buy the tanks from this bunch of tree jugging Germans...
Whats wrong with loving and wanting to hug trees, we Americans love trees to.:)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Then why would Turkey let hydraulic and fuel lines get to that point on their LEO`s, this is actually a quick fix that Turkey itself should be able to do.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Leopard 1T issue is rather a bit more complicated than that.

All Leopards delivered to Turkey went for free, as foreign military aid. Worth about 580 million for the 1988 tranche of 150 Leopards, for example.

It should be pretty clear that if you take foreign aid, you better keep to the stipulations stated by the donor, and that the donor pretty clearly has a right to "take offence".

The last Leopard transfer to Turkey (in 1992) was even completely illegal. The German Parliament issued a veto on the sale, but Defence Minister Stoltenberg authorized the transfer anyway. The veto came about after it became public that Turkey was using ex-NVA vehicles transferred earlier in combat against Kurdish separatists ("non-NATO purposes"), despite clear contract restrictions that such CFE cascade items were to be used for NATO defense purposes only. Stoltenberg had to step down over this deal.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Leopard 1T issue is rather a bit more complicated than that.

All Leopards delivered to Turkey went for free, as foreign military aid. Worth about 580 million for the 1988 tranche of 150 Leopards, for example.

It should be pretty clear that if you take foreign aid, you better keep to the stipulations stated by the donor, and that the donor pretty clearly has a right to "take offence".

The last Leopard transfer to Turkey (in 1992) was even completely illegal. The German Parliament issued a veto on the sale, but Defence Minister Stoltenberg authorized the transfer anyway. The veto came about after it became public that Turkey was using ex-NVA vehicles transferred earlier in combat against Kurdish separatists ("non-NATO purposes"), despite clear contract restrictions that such CFE cascade items were to be used for NATO defense purposes only. Stoltenberg had to step down over this deal.
Good information Kato, but he stated that they were LEO2 tanks, have you heard of any disgruntlement between Turkey and Germany inregards to what he posted, I will stand by my post that this is a quick fix that Turkey could do on their own, I used to Fabricate hydraulic lines for turrets out in the field.

Last edited:

Burunsuzoglu

Racist - considering your earlier comments in regards to Germans, I find your statement ironic!

What I was trying to state (in a non-racist manner and without lowering the tone with gutter language) is that maybe the Turkish Armed Forces need to re-evaluate their maintanence regime to overcome their problems with the Leo 2. Afterall, I don't think anyone can argue against the merits of the Leopard's performance and build quality.
http://www.jamestown.org/edm/article.php?article_id=2372647

Burunsuzoglu

Good information Kato, but he stated that they were LEO2 tanks, have you heard of any disgruntlement between Turkey and Germany inregards to what he posted, I will stand by my post that this is a quick fix that Turkey could on their own, I used to Fabricate hydraulic lines for turrets out in the field.
This is the recent batch of L2's we purchased as a stop whilst waiting for the K2's

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Haven't heard anything.

Supposedly the Leo 2 for Turkey were somewhat refurbished, though i don't know to what extent. Also, i don't think Turkey has a maintenance contract with KMW - unlike Greece.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is the recent batch of L2's we purchased as a stop whilst waiting for the K2's
Is there any other issues with this batch that you have heard of. Also is Turkey going with the K2 entirely or are you using technologies from it.