New Coronavirus threat

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Gawd preserve us from anti vaxxers. My ex daughter in law is one and stubborn as hell. She's a vegan as well., but not as bad as some. She's accepted that I am very pro vaccinations and that it is an absolute requirement of my religion that I have to eat bacon and drink rum.

Anyway I have noticed that the anti vaxxers haven't been very active on social media since the COVID-19 pandemic has taken off.
If you want to see some truly scary crazy, go watch the people in Florida making statements against being made to wear masks in public. We are truly screwed as a species if these people continue to breed. And any declared anti-vaxxer should be denied any future COVID vaccine if they're so sure of their "beliefs".

Boagrius

I actually think it's great that the US has so many citizens who are unafraid of contracting COVID19. If only they could be gainfully employed at the local hospitals and testing centres - save cash on precious PPE :p

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually think it's great that the US has so many citizens who are unafraid of contracting COVID19. If only they could be gainfully employed at the local hospitals and testing centres, no PPE required ;)
Ya but until they come incapacitated they will be out and about spreading the virus.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the problem - I'm all for a bit of individual choice but there will be sections of the population with poor or compromised immune systems who will not be able to vaccinate (tragically, the most vulnerable)

Combine that with a vocal group of refusniks who also won't accept that washing your hands and wearing a mask is anything other than an infringement of their constitutional right to be a jack-ass and you're looking at a die-back event.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is the problem - I'm all for a bit of individual choice but there will be sections of the population with poor or compromised immune systems who will not be able to vaccinate (tragically, the most vulnerable)

Combine that with a vocal group of refusniks who also won't accept that washing your hands and wearing a mask is anything other than an infringement of their constitutional right to be a jack-ass and you're looking at a die-back event.
As long as they keep it within their own borders, we'll be fine. Luckily we don't have such a thing as a written constitution for people to blindly follow, so that's part of the problem solved. I see what is happening in the US as punishment for rebellion against their lawful King and his heirs and successors :p

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as they keep it within their own borders, we'll be fine. Luckily we don't have such a thing as a written constitution for people to blindly follow, so that's part of the problem solved. I see what is happening in the US as punishment for rebellion against their lawful King and his heirs and successors :p

Seems reasonable. Rebel scum :)

That plus they're currently doing a live action role play of Escape from New York over in Seattle and you'd think they'd welcome back a stable administration by a God given King really.

Look, we can spare Harry - he's easily the most bad ass royal to hand - and most folks would get their heads around bowing to a qualified Apache pilot with multiple confirmed kills so I think it's a reasonable offer.

swerve

Super Moderator
It’s interesting to note the scale and mortality of those various flu seasons, almost half the number of Covid 19 deaths and far greater numbers infected however the reaction by governments could not be further apart.
I suspect a certain level of official hysteria Has helped to fan the unease in the populace.
If we look around the world, we see that the worst recent flu season (2018-19) in the USA killed fewer than half the count of covid-19 deaths so far, & for flu that's the final total, using different methods to estimate the number. It was 61,000 "flu-associated" deaths. In the last decade, US annual flu deaths have fluctuated between 61,000 & 12,000 - i.e. fewer than 10% of covid-19 deaths counted to date. The running tally is never complete, & usually well below the final estimate.

The covid-19 epidemic in the USA is far from over (look what's happening in southern states which opened up early), has been kept damped down by control measures, & the death tally so far is very far from complete. Final figures for last month, for example, won't be available for a few months. And what would it be without the control measures?

It's safe to assume that using the same estimation methods as those for flu epidemics the covid-19 death figure would be significantly higher, & it ain't over yet.

Much the same applies to most other countries, though some are quicker at bringing out the retrospective estimates of totals. For Belgium, for example, the current covid-19 tally is likely to be complete (perhaps even an overestimate), but the Netherlands may have only counted half the covid-19 deaths so far.

swerve

Super Moderator

On another forum I've seen some people (all American that I noticed) saying such things as "it only kills the weak" as arguments aganst protective measures, & calling those measures "cowardly" & "womanly". The worst has been banned, but I think open racism (e.g. "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks" in reference to a couple of African-born doctors who'd died of it in the UK) & personal abuse of other members may have contributed to that.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
On another forum I've seen some people (all American that I noticed) saying such things as "it only kills the weak" as arguments aganst protective measures, & calling those measures "cowardly" & "womanly". The worst has been banned, but I think open racism (e.g. "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks" in reference to a couple of African-born doctors who'd died of it in the UK) & personal abuse of other members may have contributed to that.
A couple of forums and social media places that I have visited, it is usually the Americans who are saying that it's only flu etc., and if you oppose their viewpoint they can get quite abusive. They've really politicised it. Just like left wingers when they get wound up and you don't accept their viewpoint and god forbid actually criticise it.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
A couple of forums and social media places that I have visited, it is usually the Americans who are saying that it's only flu etc., and if you oppose their viewpoint they can get quite abusive. They've really politicised it. Just like left wingers when they get wound up and you don't accept their viewpoint and god forbid actually criticise it.
With some in the US, I suspect that the approach to COVID-19 has gone beyond being a political one, and instead has become more of a display of psychological defects for/by some.

By that, I am referring to the stubborn refusal by some (private individuals AND gov't officials) to adopt some of the more serious mitigation efforts, or reimpose shutdown orders after drastic increases in the # of new cases, positivity rates, and hospital admissions which have been occurring in some areas. The US State of Florida is an unfortunate but good example, as they recently passed the 10k new cases a day mark, yet the governor has stated that Florida will not shut down "again" and still refuses to issue a statewide order about wearing masks for the sake of "freedom". In just under two months Florida will also host the RNC in Jacksonville and it is being left to local leadership to make decisions (including enforcement) on what people need to do to be out. It remains to be seen how much actual compliance there is.

To me, that has really started to sound like certain people are psychologically unable or ill-equipped to admit it when they make a mistake, or to change approaches if the original one is found to be ineffective. If that is an accurate assessment of the case, then the US might be in more trouble than I had thought.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I believe Plato once remarked "People will believe any random shit on youtube"

Boagrius

Problem is that the shit they're getting off YouTube isn't random - it has been and is being actively peddled by a number of popular talking heads. eg.

Just a sad symptom of the politicization of the COVID19 response in the US I fear...

Last edited:

seaspear

I recently did an annual cpr update all going well till I asked about covid 19 and our response,, for those who have ever done real cpr or just on the dummy you have some tough choices here, because in most places you will not have the equipment that hospitals have for your protection,,I have a niece as a nurse was finding septicemia rash on victims she was called to in London, she later found these same rashes on her legs which put her out of action for a couple of weeks

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I recently did an annual cpr update all going well till I asked about covid 19 and our response,, for those who have ever done real cpr or just on the dummy you have some tough choices here, because in most places you will not have the equipment that hospitals have for your protection,,I have a niece as a nurse was finding septicemia rash on victims she was called to in London, she later found these same rashes on her legs which put her out of action for a couple of weeks
For those note kitted out for CPR with rescue breathing, there might be hands only CPR available in your specific country. That is what has been the go-to for CPR care in the US for lay people and/or those trained but without kit readily available.

seaspear

The nature of the Covid 19 threat has changed according to various scientists as reported today by the A.B.C if as suggested it can be an aerosol and that social distancing is not adequate,
A detailed response from the W.H.O to this will be interesting.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those note kitted out for CPR with rescue breathing, there might be hands only CPR available in your specific country. That is what has been the go-to for CPR care in the US for lay people and/or those trained but without kit readily available.
Compressions only has been the first aid standard in the UK for about a decade now - I think you cna still offer mouth to mouth if appropriately trained but a big ad campaign was running for a while to encourage people to try and assist and not be put off by a perceived requirement to do the mouth to mouth bit.
Interesting note from a youtuber I follow (UK cardiologist and just the *dryest* sense of humour) - he was saying that they're losing time treating non-Covid patients presenting with cardiac arrests because it takes them several minutes to get all PPE''d up.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
C.P.R in Australia is now 30 compressions and two breaths, but requiring you to place your face close to the patients face to listen for breathing at regular cycles

That's the same standard the NHS recommend for trained (ie, have done a first aid course) people so yeah, sounds like we're on the same page - looking like "hands only" is the minimum standard of care here.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
In the US, there are a number of variations for CPR, depending on the responder and patient and possibly the number of responders.

If the responder is a "professional" responder, someone trained in Healthcare Provider-level CPR (BLS or ALS) then single-responder CPR is a ratio of 30:2 compressions to breaths, assuming proper kit is available, this applies to infants, children and adults. If there are two responders, then the ratio for infants and children changes to 15:2, again assuming the proper kit is available.

For responders trained to a lower level, without kit, then hands-only CPR is recommended. In US emergency response systems (E911 areas) with Emergency Medical Dispatchers, the dispatcher is trained to walk completely untrained responders through the steps to provide hands-only CPR when appropriate.

Incidentally, there are a couple of Youtube clips that actors/celebrities have done as PSA's for hands-only CPR. One was a Staying Alive clip done for the American Heart Association by Ken Jeong from the 2009 movie The Hangover. What makes this interesting is that in addition to the actor being a comedian, he is also a licensed MD.

My personal favourite though, is this PSA clip Vinnie Jones did for the British Red Cross. The mini-Vinnie CPR clip is pretty good too.