New Coronavirus threat

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The caveat on that is; some PhD’s being spat out these days by Some post modern tertiary institutions perpetuate that “democratised stupidity”

Very true - I was kind of thinking of instances where Neil De Grasse Tyson has had mini cab drivers from Wigan disputing his knowledge of physics rather than some modern creative arts affair.

True story, place I used to work, there was a burger van which did a nice job of breakfast. The young woman running it turned out to have a degree in events management. Nuff said.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is what you get when you democratise stupidity I guess. We're living in an era where any random knob jockey can spin up a channel on YT,spout word salad and be treated with similar weight to somebody with a Phd.
Yes, but then the fools that believe it don't get vaccinations, don't do social distancing and are examples of Darwinian evolution in action. The human population is supposed to hit 8 billion soon, so these knob wombles will reduce the population and remove their genes from the gene pool.

hauritz

So, according to a CNN poll, one third of Americans would oppose taking the COVID vaccine if and when it becomes available. Might be good long term news for the Democrats as I suspect a high percentage of that one third are Trump Republicans. Definitely bad news for any reopening of borders with the US and I wonder what US airlines will do without any nations accepting US flight arrivals.
Fauci says Covid-19 vaccine may not get US to herd immunity if too many people refuse to get it
Fauci says Covid-19 vaccine may not get US to herd immunity if too many people refuse to get it
Possibly the best thing Trump could do for his country at the moment is contract Covid19. Not to kill him ... but just to make him sick enough to discredit some of the more ridiculous things he has said and done over the last four months. His constant touting of unproven drugs, false promises, downplaying and outright lying has gone beyond what is acceptable from the leader of a country.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Possibly the best thing Trump could do for his country at the moment is contract Covid19. Not to kill him ... but just to make him sick enough to discredit some of the more ridiculous things he has said and done over the last four months. His constant touting of unproven drugs, false promises, downplaying and outright lying has gone beyond what is acceptable from the leader of a country.
Whilst we may not like the man's personality and habits, just be careful that you don't breach the forum rules on politics. It's also considered bad form to wish a disease such as COVID-19 upon another, no matter how deserving or appropriate it may appear to be.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not? Amazon already remotely removes content from kindle users libraries.

TV shows are removing episodes to suit the political climate of the times.

And you already have a camera on your device that can be used to spy on you, by hackers, or otherwise.

The problem is that not everyone can take the vaccine. A small percentage of people are contraindicated to certain vaccines, and therefore rely on herd immunity to avoid some diseases. Typically this involves an allergy to some component of the vaccine, or some pre-existing medical condition.
True, but this small percentage won’t prevent the goal of obtaining herd immunity through vaccination whereas a refusal by one third of the population will prevent this goal being achieved.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, but this small percentage won’t prevent the goal of obtaining herd immunity through vaccination whereas a refusal by one third of the population will prevent this goal being achieved.
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm not saying this percentage prevents herd immunity. I'm saying that we can't cheerfully assume that unvaccinated people only hurt themselves, and we can laugh as they remove themselves from the gene-pool because there is a number of people who can't get certain vaccines, and they rely on herd immunity for protection. So having a large segment of the population refusing to get vaccinated will put those people at risk.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm not saying this percentage prevents herd immunity. I'm saying that we can't cheerfully assume that unvaccinated people only hurt themselves, and we can laugh as they remove themselves from the gene-pool because there is a number of people who can't get certain vaccines, and they rely on herd immunity for protection. So having a large segment of the population refusing to get vaccinated will put those people at risk.
Gawd preserve us from anti vaxxers. My ex daughter in law is one and stubborn as hell. She's a vegan as well., but not as bad as some. She's accepted that I am very pro vaccinations and that it is an absolute requirement of my religion that I have to eat bacon and drink rum.

Anyway I have noticed that the anti vaxxers haven't been very active on social media since the COVID-19 pandemic has taken off.

Boagrius

Gawd preserve us from anti vaxxers. My ex daughter in law is one and stubborn as hell. She's a vegan as well., but not as bad as some. She's accepted that I am very pro vaccinations and that it is an absolute requirement of my religion that I have to eat bacon and drink rum.

Anyway I have noticed that the anti vaxxers haven't been very active on social media since the COVID-19 pandemic has taken off.
They've been busy burning down 5G towers :p

DDG38

If you want to see some truly scary crazy, go watch the people in Florida making statements against being made to wear masks in public. We are truly screwed as a species if these people continue to breed. And any declared anti-vaxxer should be denied any future COVID vaccine if they're so sure of their "beliefs".

Boagrius

I actually think it's great that the US has so many citizens who are unafraid of contracting COVID19. If only they could be gainfully employed at the local hospitals and testing centres - save cash on precious PPE :p

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the problem - I'm all for a bit of individual choice but there will be sections of the population with poor or compromised immune systems who will not be able to vaccinate (tragically, the most vulnerable)

Combine that with a vocal group of refusniks who also won't accept that washing your hands and wearing a mask is anything other than an infringement of their constitutional right to be a jack-ass and you're looking at a die-back event.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is the problem - I'm all for a bit of individual choice but there will be sections of the population with poor or compromised immune systems who will not be able to vaccinate (tragically, the most vulnerable)

Combine that with a vocal group of refusniks who also won't accept that washing your hands and wearing a mask is anything other than an infringement of their constitutional right to be a jack-ass and you're looking at a die-back event.
As long as they keep it within their own borders, we'll be fine. Luckily we don't have such a thing as a written constitution for people to blindly follow, so that's part of the problem solved. I see what is happening in the US as punishment for rebellion against their lawful King and his heirs and successors :p

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as they keep it within their own borders, we'll be fine. Luckily we don't have such a thing as a written constitution for people to blindly follow, so that's part of the problem solved. I see what is happening in the US as punishment for rebellion against their lawful King and his heirs and successors :p

Seems reasonable. Rebel scum :)

That plus they're currently doing a live action role play of Escape from New York over in Seattle and you'd think they'd welcome back a stable administration by a God given King really.

Look, we can spare Harry - he's easily the most bad ass royal to hand - and most folks would get their heads around bowing to a qualified Apache pilot with multiple confirmed kills so I think it's a reasonable offer.

swerve

Super Moderator
It’s interesting to note the scale and mortality of those various flu seasons, almost half the number of Covid 19 deaths and far greater numbers infected however the reaction by governments could not be further apart.
I suspect a certain level of official hysteria Has helped to fan the unease in the populace.
If we look around the world, we see that the worst recent flu season (2018-19) in the USA killed fewer than half the count of covid-19 deaths so far, & for flu that's the final total, using different methods to estimate the number. It was 61,000 "flu-associated" deaths. In the last decade, US annual flu deaths have fluctuated between 61,000 & 12,000 - i.e. fewer than 10% of covid-19 deaths counted to date. The running tally is never complete, & usually well below the final estimate.

The covid-19 epidemic in the USA is far from over (look what's happening in southern states which opened up early), has been kept damped down by control measures, & the death tally so far is very far from complete. Final figures for last month, for example, won't be available for a few months. And what would it be without the control measures?

It's safe to assume that using the same estimation methods as those for flu epidemics the covid-19 death figure would be significantly higher, & it ain't over yet.

Much the same applies to most other countries, though some are quicker at bringing out the retrospective estimates of totals. For Belgium, for example, the current covid-19 tally is likely to be complete (perhaps even an overestimate), but the Netherlands may have only counted half the covid-19 deaths so far.

swerve

Super Moderator

On another forum I've seen some people (all American that I noticed) saying such things as "it only kills the weak" as arguments aganst protective measures, & calling those measures "cowardly" & "womanly". The worst has been banned, but I think open racism (e.g. "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks" in reference to a couple of African-born doctors who'd died of it in the UK) & personal abuse of other members may have contributed to that.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
On another forum I've seen some people (all American that I noticed) saying such things as "it only kills the weak" as arguments aganst protective measures, & calling those measures "cowardly" & "womanly". The worst has been banned, but I think open racism (e.g. "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks" in reference to a couple of African-born doctors who'd died of it in the UK) & personal abuse of other members may have contributed to that.
A couple of forums and social media places that I have visited, it is usually the Americans who are saying that it's only flu etc., and if you oppose their viewpoint they can get quite abusive. They've really politicised it. Just like left wingers when they get wound up and you don't accept their viewpoint and god forbid actually criticise it.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
A couple of forums and social media places that I have visited, it is usually the Americans who are saying that it's only flu etc., and if you oppose their viewpoint they can get quite abusive. They've really politicised it. Just like left wingers when they get wound up and you don't accept their viewpoint and god forbid actually criticise it.
With some in the US, I suspect that the approach to COVID-19 has gone beyond being a political one, and instead has become more of a display of psychological defects for/by some.

By that, I am referring to the stubborn refusal by some (private individuals AND gov't officials) to adopt some of the more serious mitigation efforts, or reimpose shutdown orders after drastic increases in the # of new cases, positivity rates, and hospital admissions which have been occurring in some areas. The US State of Florida is an unfortunate but good example, as they recently passed the 10k new cases a day mark, yet the governor has stated that Florida will not shut down "again" and still refuses to issue a statewide order about wearing masks for the sake of "freedom". In just under two months Florida will also host the RNC in Jacksonville and it is being left to local leadership to make decisions (including enforcement) on what people need to do to be out. It remains to be seen how much actual compliance there is.

To me, that has really started to sound like certain people are psychologically unable or ill-equipped to admit it when they make a mistake, or to change approaches if the original one is found to be ineffective. If that is an accurate assessment of the case, then the US might be in more trouble than I had thought.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I believe Plato once remarked "People will believe any random shit on youtube"

Boagrius

Problem is that the shit they're getting off YouTube isn't random - it has been and is being actively peddled by a number of popular talking heads. eg.

Just a sad symptom of the politicization of the COVID19 response in the US I fear...

Last edited: