New Coronavirus threat

Boagrius

In the US, there are a number of variations for CPR, depending on the responder and patient and possibly the number of responders.

If the responder is a "professional" responder, someone trained in Healthcare Provider-level CPR (BLS or ALS) then single-responder CPR is a ratio of 30:2 compressions to breaths, assuming proper kit is available, this applies to infants, children and adults. If there are two responders, then the ratio for infants and children changes to 15:2, again assuming the proper kit is available.

For responders trained to a lower level, without kit, then hands-only CPR is recommended. In US emergency response systems (E911 areas) with Emergency Medical Dispatchers, the dispatcher is trained to walk completely untrained responders through the steps to provide hands-only CPR when appropriate.

Incidentally, there are a couple of Youtube clips that actors/celebrities have done as PSA's for hands-only CPR. One was a Staying Alive clip done for the American Heart Association by Ken Jeong from the 2009 movie The Hangover. What makes this interesting is that in addition to the actor being a comedian, he is also a licensed MD.

My personal favourite though, is this PSA clip Vinnie Jones did for the British Red Cross. The mini-Vinnie CPR clip is pretty good too.
Not this one?

:p

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Not this one?

:p
Nah, I find Vinnie Jones demonstrating CPR funnier. Of course my sense of humour can best be described as "questionable..."

In other news, the COVID-19 confirmed case increases in certain areas of the US continue at a near record pace. To the point where I am starting to wonder if federal gross negligence charges could end up getting pressed, resulting in executive officials from some states getting indicted. The state of Florida for instance, has recently had daily new confirmed case counts greater than Europe. At the same time, there are questions about some of the public health data which Florida has released, since some of it does not seem to tally when outsiders collect and collate the data. Which in turn makes people question whether or not the Dept. of Health has been "scrubbing" the data in an attempt to make it look more favourable. Meanwhile various tactics to reduce the virus spread in FL continue to be just recommended, as opposed to required.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah, I find Vinnie Jones demonstrating CPR funnier. Of course my sense of humour can best be described as "questionable..."

In other news, the COVID-19 confirmed case increases in certain areas of the US continue at a near record pace. To the point where I am starting to wonder if federal gross negligence charges could end up getting pressed, resulting in executive officials from some states getting indicted. The state of Florida for instance, has recently had daily new confirmed case counts greater than Europe. At the same time, there are questions about some of the public health data which Florida has released, since some of it does not seem to tally when outsiders collect and collate the data. Which in turn makes people question whether or not the Dept. of Health has been "scrubbing" the data in an attempt to make it look more favourable. Meanwhile various tactics to reduce the virus spread in FL continue to be just recommended, as opposed to required.
I read somewhere the mayor of Atlanta, Georgia ordered a return to strict control measures only to be challenged by Georgia’s governor, a Trump hack. Clearly he is a good candidate for being charged with criminal negligence.

Also, the Canada US border closure has been extended for the fourth time, hardly a surprise given the situation in the US.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An interesting article from a NZ perspective about the different strains and mutations of the COVID-19 virus and how it made its way to NZ.

This UK report describes how sequencing is now being used to test patients within a hospital for infection control purposes. This is applicable to other diseases besides COVID. Rapid Genome Sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 Identifies Connected Cases in Hospital

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This UK report describes how sequencing is now being used to test patients within a hospital for infection control purposes. This is applicable to other diseases besides COVID. Rapid Genome Sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 Identifies Connected Cases in Hospital
Cool every little bit helps.

Our cuzzies across the ditch are going through a resurgence in cases with a significant increase in community infection rates in Melbourne. Apparently this is due to a couple of security guards at a quarantine hotel shagging some people who were in quarantine. Covid 19 coronavirus: Claims guards at Melbourne quarantine hotels had sex with isolated guests, sparking new outbreak. Since then Victoria has gone into lockdown, Sydney now has cases that have come from one Melbourne based truck driver arriving in the city, New South Wales, Northern Territory and Queensland have closed their borders to all Victorian residents, plus Queensland and the Northern Territory have closed their borders to Sydney residents.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Yet more US news about COVID-19 to brighten everyone's day.

Apparently the data pipeline that the US has been using to collect and distribute case information by having that data go to the CDC first will change effective tomorrow. Instead, the admin will get the data, which will be managed by health data firm TeleTracking. One concern which has been raised about the data going to the current admin instead of an entity like the CDC is that the data might become politicized, and/or the data could be altered to support statements, claimed, or objectives. An example would be to start dropping the # of new people who die from COVID-19 or complications would be to alter the criteria used. An easy way to do that would be to not include deaths from things like pneumonia (which can be caused by COVID-19) and leave off the fact that the person who died of pneumonia was also COVID-19 positive...

Last edited:

At lakes

The Black Lives Matter march thru the centre of town didnt help matters much either there was about 8 to 10k of them all squeezed in the street and practicing safe distancing they were not. Several were later confirmed to be positive for COVID 19

At lakes

Our cuzzies across the ditch are going through a resurgence in cases with a significant increase in community infection rates in Melbourne. Apparently this is due to a couple of security guards at a quarantine hotel shagging some people who were in quarantine. Covid 19 coronavirus: Claims guards at Melbourne quarantine hotels had sex with isolated guests, sparking new outbreak. Since then Victoria has gone into lockdown
Further to the Security Guards engaging in nocturnal gymnastics with the people in quarantine, one was a meat process worker during the day and that meat works is now subject of serious deep cleaning and several staff off with the virus and another was a Uber driver so I would imagine a few of his passengers have it as well.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Black Lives Matter march thru the centre of town didnt help matters much either there was about 8 to 10k of them all squeezed in the street and practicing safe distancing they were not. Several were later confirmed to be positive for COVID 19
Nope. "DHHS says it is aware of six confirmed cases who attended the Black Lives Matter protest on June 6 but says currently there is no evidence to suggest these cases acquired the virus from the rally. None of these cases are known to reside at a major public housing complex.
Currently, no known nor suspected episodes of transmission occurred at the protest itself, the Department says."
The majority of protestors were wearing masks & volunteers conducted hand hygeine practices for participants which is now believed to have contributed to a lack of infections.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Nope. "DHHS says it is aware of six confirmed cases who attended the Black Lives Matter protest on June 6 but says currently there is no evidence to suggest these cases acquired the virus from the rally. None of these cases are known to reside at a major public housing complex.
Currently, no known nor suspected episodes of transmission occurred at the protest itself, the Department says."
The majority of protestors were wearing masks & volunteers conducted hand hygeine practices for participants which is now believed to have contributed to a lack of infections.
This tracks with what I have been getting from various sources in the US. The condensed version of the information is that a significant percentage of the transmissions (poss. 80% or more) come from only perhaps 20% of the people infected with the SARS-CoV2 virus. Furthermore, the venues and associated circumstances play a significant part in the likelihood of transmission.

Factors include the length of time someone was "exposed", an example being a short duration exposure while walking past someone in an aisle whilst shopping would be relatively minimal, yet exposure times over 15 minutes, like a one or two hour exposure sitting at an indoor table next to an infected person at a restaurant would be considerably more risky.

Environmental factors also play a significant role, with there seeming to be major differences in risk when comparing outdoor vs. indoor, and even further breakdowns comparing things like indoor with large volumes of outdoor air brought in vs. indoor with little outdoor air, or with indoor air re-circulation.

Also what the people are doing plays a part, with certain activities like singing or shouting being more likely to have virus shedding occurring.

Once one factors the above risks in, it quickly does become apparent why restrictions had been enacted on group size gathering, as well as gatherings at venues like bars/pubs, nightclubs/dance halls, and religious services.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My bad got my wires crossed, I'm referring to the Melbourne BLM protests, not the ones in the US :oops:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My bad got my wires crossed, I'm referring to the Melbourne BLM protests, not the ones in the US :oops:
No, I understood that. My point was more about where and under what conditions transmissions are more likely to occur. An outdoor protest is less likely to have a transmission if an infectious person attends than if an infectious person went to a church service or a bar for a few hours.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yet more US news about COVID-19 to brighten everyone's day.

Apparently the data pipeline that the US has been using to collect and distribute case information by having that data go to the CDC first will change effective tomorrow. Instead, the admin will get the data, which will be managed by health data firm TeleTracking. One concern which has been raised about the data going to the current admin instead of an entity like the CDC is that the data might become politicized, and/or the data could be altered to support statements, claimed, or objectives. An example would be to start dropping the # of new people who die from COVID-19 or complications would be to alter the criteria used. An easy way to do that would be to not include deaths from things like pneumonia (which can be caused by COVID-19) and leave off the fact that the person who died of pneumonia was also COVID-19 positive...
I've heard that this is happening a lot in Russia, where some districts report very large increases in pneumonia deaths & very low covid-19 deaths.

Some US state reports are viewed with suspicion already. When covid-19 first hit the USA there were incidents such as that in W. Virginia, where the governor boasted that his state was free of it. Well, nobody had tested positive, but that was because people with symptoms weren't being allowed into medical facilities to be tested or treated. The first identified victim (who survived, IIRC) spent a few days being driven around & turned away before getting treated, I think across the border in Ohio.

I've not heard of anything anywhere as near that bad elsewhere, but there does seem to be a tendency in some states to classify deaths as due to the immediate cause & refuse to look beyond it.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I've heard that this is happening a lot in Russia, where some districts report very large increases in pneumonia deaths & very low covid-19 deaths.

Some US state reports are viewed with suspicion already. When covid-19 first hit the USA there were incidents such as that in W. Virginia, where the governor boasted that his state was free of it. Well, nobody had tested positive, but that was because people with symptoms weren't being allowed into medical facilities to be tested or treated. The first identified victim (who survived, IIRC) spent a few days being driven around & turned away before getting treated, I think across the border in Ohio.

I've not heard of anything anywhere as near that bad elsewhere, but there does seem to be a tendency in some states to classify deaths as due to the immediate cause & refuse to look beyond it.
The reporting in the US is a bit of a mixed bag, due to what the reporting chains are. Some states <cough "Florida" cough> even seem to have taken steps to obfuscate the deaths due to COVID-19 by ordering local coroners to stop reporting when new COVID-19 deaths occur in their jurisdictions. A number of coroners in FL have essentially refused to cooperate with that directive from the governor, as they had historically considered cause of death reporting to be a matter of public record.

Further, the gov't at the Federal level is demanding that in-person K-12 schooling re-open and resume at the start of the new school year, which is typically either late August or the first week of September in the US. This is despite the Dept. of Education also insisting on re-opening, yet not providing any sort of guidance on how to do so safely.

A number of state governors have since followed suit, like McMaster of South Carolina. He announced (yesterday) that SC school districts need to submit plans by Friday, which is tomorrow, given parents a choice of in-person or virtual learning. Some of the school districts have found this alarming enough to issue a public statement in response, pointing out that the 5-say in-person school week is disregarding the recommendations of DHEC (SC's Dept. of Health & Environmental Control) and the CDC. One of the public statements, issued by Greenville County Schools, also pointed out that McMaster's suggestions rejected the recommendations of the AccelerateED Task Force which McMaster had put together to respond to COVID-19. There were a few other issues the public statement raised. These issues were largely logistical in nature, and also not easily overcome without significant additional funding and requiring considerable time to implement.

From my perspective as neither a parent or educator, but with medical experience, it seems like the push to get children back in school is not really about ensuring they are getting educated. Instead, it seems like a two-pronged effort to get things "back to normal" with kids going off to school on week days, and effectively having schools be daycare providers so that parents can return to work.

All while ignoring the very real potential that having children congregate in schools and on school buses traveling between home and school could just further the spread of the virus.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This table shown how Asean numbers actually begin to slow down, especially if looking the Active Cases, 'except' in Indonesia and Philippines.

It's expected due to sheer population and health care facilities, both Indonesia and Philippines will have highest number of infection in Asean. However the number now also shown while the rest of Asean already have controlling numbers of grow, both Indonesia and Philippines still showing increasing trend.

Both government claim that the higher increase due to increase numbers of test. Sound familiar arguments, yeah..seems so 'smart' guys both in Jakarta and Manila try to mimic similar argument that coming from 'someone' in Washington DC.

The truth is, Both Jakarta and Manila simply can't afford to go on with more stringent lock down much longer. Thus what happen in Indonesia and Philippines shown that Economics need to be prioritize and the pandemic being controlled not through more stringent social Distancing policy, bit with more testing to find effected clusters and try localise control.

I'm not surprise by end of this year both will have infection rate cumulative on 100K-200K. What's quite interesting is eventough the level of cumulative infection on both countries practically double from last month, but the level of 'active' infection is about the same month to month.

Number of active infection seems what the government of both countries try to manage. As long as the active infection will be around 30K-50K, seems they will take it eventough the cumulative number already reach more than 100K. This seems the way I read it, as they're aiming more on controlling infective rate (thus active infection).

For Indonesia case for example, some Official unofficially talking to us in Bankers forum that as long as the difference between daily number of newly infected and those already cured is relatively small, then the risk can be taken toward economics need to reopen some more business activities.
If the number of cured already more than newly infected, eventough the cumulative numbers still increase, most business activities can be reopen.

Well that kind of thinking seems begin to sink in on officials from high infenction countries..well at least I read that kind of sentiment also from US, Brazil and India too.

Attachments

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watch this space for news from Singapore.
The serology tests, broadly in 2 main categories promises quick testing in large numbers.

As of 13 July 2020, Singapore has tested over one million swabs from around 520,000 people for Covid-19. With 177,000 swabs per million population, Singapore has the highest testing rate in ASEAN.

Last edited: