New Coronavirus threat

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here’s an interesting article about some Canadian research into trying to determine why COVID-19 is able to easily infect people by using organs on a chip.

hauritz

New phone apps are being developed that could help in contact tracing.

I suspect there will be privacy issues and no doubt many will probably refuse to install the app. There are already apps that track your movements but this one is only supposed to record contact events. In other words, your movements aren't traced but it will ping when you are within a couple of meters of someone else with a smart device.

An app that will no doubt make contact tracing easier provided that enough people actually install it.

Last edited:

seaspear

My comment on the reocurence of the virus was not suggesting that China had lifted the curfew in the disregard of its citizens safety

seaspear

This is an earlier article from Reuters discussing in China the readmittance of patients initially cleared from hospital then reamitted after testing positive,it could suggest a period of quarantine after initial clearance to confirm there was no immediate relapse ,but suggests that testing a patient for clearance is proving also very difficult

Ananda

The Bunker Group

50 crew of CDG confirm COVID 19. This is the second carrier that operate with COVID 19 condition. Hope they can handle it better. So far they isolate one section of the carrier, for crew with positive infection.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some interesting anti- COVID-19 technology from Israeli defence contractors (along with assistance from Mossad apparently). Of particular note is the nanotechnology membrane that can be applied to surgical masks.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
There are a number of possible explanations. Until this has been researched and testing has occurred to determine what happened/is happening, it is something which science and healthcare need to be mindful of. At present S. Korea is reporting that approximately 7k COVID-19 cases have recovered, and at present it appears that 91 of those "recovered" cases have tested positive again. Potential explanations which immediately come to mind are, the negative tests prior to release were false negatives or the positive re-tests following release were false positives. It is also possible that the patients who re-tested positive did not develop and retain anti-bodies to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, meaning they did not build up immunity, and then ended up getting re-infected from a virus source.

Unless/until answers to these questions are known, or if there are reports of similar instances of recurrence or re-infection occurring in other countries then we really do not know what significance (if any) the news in the article has.
Another reason for hopefully seeing a good and inexpensive anti-body test arrive soon. It will important to monitor anti-body levels for a reasonable sample of recovered patients over a period of time and correlate this with any reoccurring infections. Also, how do the levels deteriorate over time? Answers to these issues may have a huge impact on the long term course of the pandemic.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yet another depressing story about our government’s dysfunction wrt to the pandemic. What really pisses me off was all the early hype about how prepared Canada was based on lessons learned from SARS. Bovine fecal matter IMO.

The medical intelligence unit likely didn’t have the ear of the senior players in either the military or civil service. Even if they did, with some of the intelligence being supplied by the US, if the US wasn’t taking the intel seriously in January, why would our government do otherwise? At some point, once this pandemic is over, there is going to be a significant post mortem analysis both nationally (provincial as well) and internationally. China will not fare well and the WHO has some explaining to do as well.https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/co...anadian-military-intelligence-wuhan-1.55283811586628958215.png

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Apparently DND isn’t the only government department engaging in C-F procurement. Now I realize a serum antibody test isn’t perfect but it can at least provide information on patients who have had the virus. A kit made in Canada being sold in the US and UK but not here because it isn’t recommended by the WHO for early virus infections. Welcome to Canada.:mad:https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-canada-rapid-blood-tests-under-review-1.55295901586687695576.png

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What about the the battery supply store or are sex toys mandated to have rechargeable batteries.:p
You have to realise that NZ is a clean, green, country. They're mandated to have either solar or wind power. As most of my Kiwi mates think the sun shines out of their nether regions (and I *know* the wind does) I shouldn't think power supply is an issue.

oldsig

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A new point of care DNA tester and kit has been approved for sale in Canada. The company also manufactures the swab for sample collection. Until all Canadian orders have been filled, no exports will be available.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't believe a word of it. Doesn't every household have a Waiouru blond waiting in their back yard next to the umu, for those romantic moments that come upon you unexpectedly while looking at drawings of Cheeky Hobson in the outdoor dunny?

oldsig
That's why you wear gumboots so the Waiouru blonde can't runaway.
You have to realise that NZ is a clean, green, country. They're mandated to have either solar or wind power. As most of my Kiwi mates think the sun shines out of their nether regions (and I *know* the wind does) I shouldn't think power supply is an issue.

oldsig
Ok onto things more serious.

Over Easter we have had 6 deaths from one cluster, a dementia unit in a Christchurch elderly care facility that was moved to a hospital because of the number of staff and patients at the facility infected. This brings the NZ death toll to 9. It was 5 yesterday with 3 of those deaths being patients from the dementia unit. All the NZ deaths are elderly, hand underlying health issues and all infections could be traced back to overseas travel. It must also be noted that some of those transferred from the elderly care facility to the hospital were / are in palliative end of life care.

The daily numbers of recoveries are definitely outstripping the daily number of infections, although over the 4 day Easter break testing numbers were down, but that was to be expected.

The plan is for the decision about the lockdown to be made by Cabinet and announced next Monday 20/3/2020. The country as a whole are hoping that the decision will be to move down to level 3 restrictions. What these are will be announced this week. It maybe that some areas will move to level 3, whilst others remain at level 4 lockdown. Given that Christchurch has 3 clusters, I suspect we here will remain at level 4. Bugger.

seaspear

There are a number of different reports on the cause and spread of the virus but one of the problems are the sources of such articles and their bias ,I have attached one such but cannot confirm the veracity of the claims it documents , its hard to verify if its sensationalised or accurate as with several other articles by other media groups

YOU HAVE BEEN ON HERE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THE RULES. THIS LINK IS A PURELY POLITICAL ONE AND YOU ARE FULLY AWARE OF THAT. YOU HAVE HAD INTERACTIONS WITH VARIOUS MODERATORS ABOUT YOUR POSTING BEHAVIOR AND STYLE. YOU APPEAR TO THINK THAT YOU ARE SMARTER THAN THE MODERATORS AND CAN PULL A FAST ONE ON US. YOUR FUTURE ON HERE WILL BE SUBJECT TO A MODERATOR DISCUSSION. OUR PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT. THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE AND NO CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE ENTERED INTO. DON'T BOTHER MESSAGING US.

NGATIMOZART.

Last edited by a moderator: