New Coronavirus threat

seaspear

There has been some discussion on the events since the virus has effected the world but little discussion to the cause , the two articles I have attached here show that it is the corrupt practices in China first identified by the Sars virus in 2002 that have allowed this to happen ,its clear that these practices are to continue in China and unless stopped another such could occur despite deaths wordwide in the tens of thousands not to forget the significant damage to international economy , Its hard not to view China as having some culpability for this situation

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There has been some discussion on the events since the virus has effected the world but little discussion to the cause , the two articles I have attached here show that it is the corrupt practices in China first identified by the Sars virus in 2002 that have allowed this to happen ,its clear that these practices are to continue in China and unless stopped another such could occur despite deaths wordwide in the tens of thousands not to forget the significant damage to international economy , Its hard not to view China as having some culpability for this situation
Based on the two articles in your post, how can you claim corrupt practices? Be careful with allegations like that. Make sure that you post valid evidence to support such allegations.

Having said that, I have seen allegations that the live animal markets have reopened in Wuhan and the wider province. That would not surprise me in the slightest and I do not believe any official Chinese government statements, given the history of their actions with this pandemic right from the start.

seaspear

I have attached a long article from 2004 detailing the flaws in the governments approach to the outbreak then for instance the outbreak was considered a state secret which restricted the reporting of by doctors ,further reading was ominous for the next virus it predicted
This is worth a read to consider what changes were implemented after the Sars virus to stop any repeat of such a reoccurence

swerve

Super Moderator
And I still keep encountering people that I know that keep pushing for everything to be "business as usual" arguing that all the information in the media is just wrong and fear-mongering.
NavWeaps forum has a lot of them. All those I've spotted there seem to be American. Oddly, while downplaying its seriousness in the USA ("it's hardly killed anyone", "it's just another seasonal flu" - yeah, like the flu which killed my great-grandfather & millions of others in 1918), they're rather keen on the idea that China has lied on an epic scale about the number of cases & deaths there, & it's been a disaster for China. Also, one has said that it kills the old & weak, & that's desirable, & another has referred to two Sudan-born doctors who've died in the UK after catching it from patients as "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks".

swerve

Super Moderator
The Province of Ontario has come out with a hard assessment on what the possible modelling on COVID-19 is suggesting for what is in store here, something our “leader” in Ottawa hasn’t yet been willing to step up too...big effing surprise.

Premier Doug Ford, older brother of Toronto’s deceased cocaine mayor, was in IMO, the one provincial Premier who would emulate Trump and screw things up. Seems I was 100% wrong and I am glad I was.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-projections-1.5519575
Sometimes it's good to be wrong. ;)

I've sometimes feared what I thought was about to happen & been happy when I was wrong.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
We had a numb nuts here in Christchurch on Friday night who went around a supermarket spitting on people telling them he had the virus. Numb nuts videoed himself doing it and posted it on Facebook. He spent last night in Constable Plod's very nice accommodation and was up before the judge this morning. They're awaiting the results of his COVID-19 test before passing sentence and he's been refused bail. Idiot. As a friend of mine who is an ex cop says, hopefully the judiciary don't reach for their roll of wet bus tickets.

Nighthawk.NZ

We had a numb nuts here in Christchurch on Friday night who went around a supermarket spitting on people telling them he had the virus. Numb nuts videoed himself doing it and posted it on Facebook. He spent last night in Constable Plod's very nice accommodation and was up before the judge this morning. They're awaiting the results of his COVID-19 test before passing sentence and he's been refused bail. Idiot. As a friend of mine who is an ex cop says, hopefully the judiciary don't reach for their roll of wet bus tickets.
Christchurch supermarket sneezer named as Raymond Coombs, denied bail

He has been named and denied bail...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
NavWeaps forum has a lot of them. All those I've spotted there seem to be American. Oddly, while downplaying its seriousness in the USA ("it's hardly killed anyone", "it's just another seasonal flu" - yeah, like the flu which killed my great-grandfather & millions of others in 1918), they're rather keen on the idea that China has lied on an epic scale about the number of cases & deaths there, & it's been a disaster for China. Also, one has said that it kills the old & weak, & that's desirable, & another has referred to two Sudan-born doctors who've died in the UK after catching it from patients as "fuzzy-wuzzy quacks".
Few idiots here in NZ posting the US claims that only a few dying on social media here, amongst the usual pro Trump claims that have nothing to do with NZ politics. They don't seem to get that they can't vote in the US.

I do agree that China has a lot to answer for because it covered a lot up and hasn't been very truthful about things. That much is certain. But claiming that there are only a few deaths when the New York death toll alone is what 3,000+? I suspect some people are just thicker than 2 short planks.

seaspear

I posted a previous article detailing Chinas response to the Sars virus almost 17 years ago detailing the with holding of te information which allowed it to spread around the world and the similarities to how China has handled the present virus ,I have included an article that states that subsequently that event China was involved in new guidelines to make reporting of such an event again more prompt under international law this article suggests holding China accountable and is written by an international law professor ,if at the outset of the virus in Wuhan that city was quaranteed instead of keeping this information quiet and allowing tens of thousands to leave for overseas the world may be different today
I dont believe China will be held accountable but a large corporation involved in such would likely be prosecuted for negligence and breaches of duty of care .

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The his link discusses a possible COVID-19 vulnerability but it is early days and antibody site on the virus is difficult to bind to for the particular antibody that was used from a recovered patient. Other antibodies may be more effective. In any event this is a clue for perhaps more effective therapies or vaccine designs.

At lakes

Just to introduce a little karma/humour into the discussion. Somehow this clown in Adelaide managed to acquire 5400 rolls of toilet paper when this coronavirus shopping madness started and now he is attempting to flog them to the local supermarket after he was told that he cant sell them online. I would imagine the supermarkets would not touch them, I have read somewhere supermarkets can not source products from anyone else other than their registered supply chain. It introduces legal and insurance/litigation issues if there is something wrong with any of them, although I have heard they make a good oil filter in older cars, maybe he should try and flog them to his local garage.

hauritz

I wonder what the shelf life of toilet paper is?
It isn't as though they are made of archival quality paper. They might all just crumble in to dust in a few years.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The infection rate in NZ appears to be plateauing, although it's early days. The PM and health officials are cautiously optimistic at the moment and by the end of the week we'lll know if this is indeed the case. The govt is moving to a plan of elimination of COVID-19 comp!etely from NZ. So far there has been on one death from the virus.

Reactions: t68

Nighthawk.NZ

Just to introduce a little karma/humour into the discussion. Somehow this clown in Adelaide managed to acquire 5400 rolls of toilet paper when this coronavirus shopping madness started and now he is attempting to flog them to the local supermarket after he was told that he cant sell them online. I would imagine the supermarkets would not touch them, I have read somewhere supermarkets can not source products from anyone else other than their registered supply chain. It introduces legal and insurance/litigation issues if there is something wrong with any of them, although I have heard they make a good oil filter in older cars, maybe he should try and flog them to his local garage.
holy crap... (excuse the pun) but that's like 900 6packs I haven't even got anywhere to store that many

hauritz

It seems as though Australia is also starting to flatten the curve. I guess the question is what happens next.

Australia and NZ can't stay in lockdown forever. I guess being island nations we can shut our borders for as long as required. There has been a suggestion that this lockdown will continue until an anti-virus is found but that might take more than a year ... if ever. If the virus cannot be eradicated then the real danger that we might see a massive outbreak occur at any time.

tonnyc

It seems as though Australia is also starting to flatten the curve. I guess the question is what happens next.

Australia and NZ can't stay in lockdown forever. I guess being island nations we can shut our borders for as long as required. There has been a suggestion that this lockdown will continue until an anti-virus is found but that might take more than a year ... if ever. If the virus cannot be eradicated then the real danger that we might see a massive outbreak occur at any time.
Rapid testing is sufficient to suppress outbreaks. To do that, we need a test that can identify the virus immediately. It has to be fast and it has to be cheap. When we have such a test, we can test everyone, quarantine those tested positive for the virus, and well, the rest are fine. Maybe test again next week just to be sure. If the country is too big to do this all at once, one can do this district by district, though deciding which district gets to go first is going to be a political headache.

There are several efforts into this and it's likely this will get done faster than a vaccine. Creating a vaccine can be done fast. Making sure it's safe is the part that adds a year into the process, as we need to test the vaccine to make sure there is no significant long term side-effect. A new rapid test method though doesn't need to worry about that.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just as important as the rapid virus test, the same rapid test is needed to identify people who have recovered without symptoms who will have antibodies. This means no more restrictions and they can donate blood for processing into plasma containing these antibodies that might be a possible aid in treating some patients.