New Coronavirus threat

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With many here in Canada working from home (i.e. video streaming Netflix and Prime) the internet is slowing. Real online work stuff like video conferencing is becoming difficult. On a positive note, greenhouse emissions from transportation will be down.

t68

With many here in Canada working from home (i.e. video streaming Netflix and Prime) the internet is slowing. Real online work stuff like video conferencing is becoming difficult. On a positive note, greenhouse emissions from transportation will be down.

That will make the Greta happy, as a side note besides the covid-19 this is what the green ideology would look like to a degree if we stopped producing all those nasty atmosphere pollution food for thought when you vote for a green candidate

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That will make the Greta happy, as a side note besides the covid-19 this is what the green ideology would look like to a degree if we stopped producing all those nasty atmosphere pollution food for thought when you vote for a green candidate
@t68 WATCH THE POLITICAL REMARKS. 2 NAUGHTY BOY POINTS FOR 1 MONTH.

PEOPLE I KNOW WE ARE FACING A SITUATION THAT IS CREATING STRESSES AND WORRY. HOWEVER IT DOES NOT GIVE US AN EXCUSE TO FORGET THE FORUM RULES OR LOWER THE STANDARDS OF THE FORUM. LETS HAVE ONE PLACE OF NORMALITY IN THIS INCREASINGLY MAD WORD.

ALSO WE HAVE TWO NEW MODERATORS AND THEY'RE BOTH AUSSIES AS WELL, WHICH IS GREAT.

She's pretty bad when you have to swap a case of Jamaican rum (6 bottles) for a dunny roll and ......

Kermit Weeks has his own flyable aviation museum in Florida, USA. For aviation buffs like myself it's quite an interesting collection and he's been down to NZ a few times and bought some flying WW1 aircraft from here. Anyway as he says, "in desperate times .... ".

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Never thought I would ever read about any business (especially small retailers) refusing cash. Wear gloves and throw the cash in the laundry machine at the end of the day! Don’t think this kind of money laundering is illegal.:p

I can understand that. It's not so much of a problem here in NZ because we're becoming a cashless society. Everyone is paid electronically now, few people use cheques now because most payments are made electronically. I rarely carry cash, although I do have some in my go bag in case of natural disaster etc. Most of us use credit / debit cards a good 95% of the time.

Of course we have some members of society who prefer cash because the authorities find it harder to track their activities so avoidance of banks and other financial institutions is a business requirement :D

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
New Zealand has another 11 confirmed COVID-19 cases today. The NZG have also announced that they will bail out Air New Zealand to the sum of $900 million. The govt owns 52% of the airline and says that the airline is a strategic national asset. There are still Kiwis overseas having problems getting back because of flight cancellations etc., so the possibility of Air NZ mercy / evacuation flights has been raised. Apparently MFAT are investigating the feasibility. Air NZ has also been told to keep the air routes to Australia, US, Singapore, & I think Hong Kong open.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
As your winter approaches, has there been any word on Antarctica operations for NZ and other countries with stations there?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I can understand that. It's not so much of a problem here in NZ because we're becoming a cashless society. Everyone is paid electronically now, few people use cheques now because most payments are made electronically. I rarely carry cash, although I do have some in my go bag in case of natural disaster etc. Most of us use credit / debit cards a good 95% of the time.

Of course we have some members of society who prefer cash because the authorities find it harder to track their activities so avoidance of banks and other financial institutions is a business requirement :D
Electronic payment is also the norm here also. Last summer many businesses lost their network connections up north around Lake Simcoe for a few hours, couldn’t buy anything for miles around. With increased internet demand in poorly served regions it is not hard to imagine this occurrence repeating more often.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Sorry in Bahasa. Indonesian Government identity 600-700 thousands population part of risky segment. Thus the administration prepared up to 1 million fast test kit.
Seems this indicating they are following South Korea model for massive screen and testing..thus can do selective area or population self isolation.

Black Jack Shellac

LOL. Since when??? Especially on a warship. You been on the wacky baccy or something Jack? You're very lucky to get 2 cm of individual space on a warship, let alone 2 m.
Well, the point I was trying to make is that a ship is more or less isolated when at sea. So as long as there is no virus on the ship, there is no reason that by isolating the ship you couldn't prevent it from boarding. Just stop transfers of personnel until this is over. The issue of course is the need for food and fuel to keep the ship going. But it would still be far easier to prevent this from getting on a warship than it is to prevent it from getting into a city.
Once on board, you're F'd. Based on the Diamond Princess, 17% of people in any tightly closed group will get this disease.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I guess the issue now is how do you deploy a ship currently in port? The crew would have to be isolated for 14 days somewhere (probably separately) then tested and if ok transported to the pre-decontaminated ship. Maybe 3-6 months later the come on home order will be given. Doesn’t sound like much fun.

Black Jack Shellac

I guess the issue now is how do you deploy a ship currently in port? The crew would have to be isolated for 14 days somewhere (probably separately) then tested and if ok transported to the pre-decontaminated ship. Maybe 3-6 months later the come on home order will be given. Doesn’t sound like much fun.
There is no point with any ship currently in port. This would only work with a ship that is already at sea.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Current state of affairs in Southwest Germany regarding Corona:
  • In the city i live in (pop 160,000) there are as of today 66 infected and 152 in quarantine.
  • All schools and universities are closed. Children of parents who serve "system critical functions" (about 1 in 40 kids) receive "emergency childcare" in groups of less than five segregated from each other so as to limit any infection risk.
  • Aggregations or groups of people in public exceeding 3 people are outlawed, except parents with multiple children. Within Heidelberg aggregations of more than one person need to remain 1.5m minimum distance. Police may use force to implement this. Fines of up to 25,000 Euro apply.
  • Restaurants may only offer take-away food, otherwise only grocery stores, medical supply and pet supply stores of various kinds are allowed to remain open. Queues at places allowed to continue operating may not exceed 5 people and minimum distances of 1.5m in lines need to be observed.
  • Six-man armed patrols are roaming downtown "advising" stores and restaurants on these rules.
  • Events and gatherings of people in private are limited to maximum 50 people. Events of less than 50 people have to be reported to the city including a risk analysis. Police may use force to implement this.
  • All facilities serving recreational or sports purposes have been closed. Parks and playgrounds are locked down. Burial ceremonies are limited to ten people attending, wedding ceremonies to five people. Patients in hospitals may no longer be visited, except for childbirth and on their deathbed.
  • Public infrastructure is shifting to maintaining core functionality only, using small segregated teams being able to replace each other. Civil Assistance forces (Red Cross etc) are moving mobilization from 2nd to 3rd wave currently. Public transit will be halved by monday, although freed-up trams will be used to lengthen those still running - in order to maximize space within for passengers to be able to maintain distance.

The infrastructure thing is starting to irk people. Yesterday a guy pulled a gun on garbage workers telling him a recycling center was closed, shots fired.

seaspear

Recently I had to raise with management who believed they had covered all the bases on the hygiene regime this on shared computer keyboards perhaps those of you in the same position may find this article of interest

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Recently I had to raise with management who believed they had covered all the bases on the hygiene regime this on shared computer keyboards perhaps those of you in the same position may find this article of interest
An on going issue WRT to keyboards. Another concern has been hotel TV remote controller keypads. Not sure on the infection control procedures for these devices, re bacteria versus virus.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, the point I was trying to make is that a ship is more or less isolated when at sea. So as long as there is no virus on the ship, there is no reason that by isolating the ship you couldn't prevent it from boarding. Just stop transfers of personnel until this is over. The issue of course is the need for food and fuel to keep the ship going. But it would still be far easier to prevent this from getting on a warship than it is to prevent it from getting into a city.
Once on board, you're F'd. Based on the Diamond Princess, 17% of people in any tightly closed group will get this disease.
On a cruise ship, unless strict infection control protocols are initiated and strictly adhered too, a virus such as COVID-19 is going to infect many onboard. Basing the figure of 17% just on trhe Diamond Princess is not a good analysis, because infection control is only as good as the people who are the lowest practitioners of it in any give environment. Are they a representative sample of that industry, or are they an aberration? As a data point we cannot use them to make any valid extrapolations from.

It reminds me of rest homes when they have a Norovirus outbreak. If the staff don't jump on it quickly, the bug runs right through the home. Pretty hard on the oldies too. Norovirus is not generally fatal, but has been known to have been a contributing factor towards the deaths of some.

The point I am making is, that onboard a ship, be it a warship or a cruise ship, it's not so cut and dried, or as simple as people think.