Military Aviation News and Discussion

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Rostec talking with UAE on building production facility in UAE as Co-Producers of Checkmate. makr sense for Russia finding Partner with deep pocket like UAE. Also with UAE it can produce Checkmate version that can use Western off the shelf equipment that will be difficult to do, if the production facility in Russia.

This in my opinion shown unlike Su-57, Checkmate being prepared by Russia more for export products. How this going to develop with US - UAE relations, will be interesting to see. After all this is still in early discussion. However I see this can play on UAE ambitions for regional class defense producers.

Sandhi Yudha

In the past the development

Rostec talking with UAE on building production facility in UAE as Co-Producers of Checkmate. makr sense for Russia finding Partner with deep pocket like UAE. Also with UAE it can produce Checkmate version that can use Western off the shelf equipment that will be difficult to do, if the production facility in Russia.

This in my opinion shown unlike Su-57, Checkmate being prepared by Russia more for export products. How this going to develop with US - UAE relations, will be interesting to see. After all this is still in early discussion. However I see this can play on UAE ambitions for regional class defense producers.
Costs of the Pantsir was also partly paid by UAE. But i think that its quite unrealistic that cooperation with UAE can give Russia the possibility to use more Western/American components. I expect it will stay on the same level as the percentage of Western/France parts like in the Su-30MKI/MKM and the Ka-52.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
But i think that its quite unrealistic that cooperation with UAE can give Russia the possibility to use more Western/American components.
Agree on impossibility on Western suppliers for sole Russia only project. However if they make second production facilities in UAE, it can open possibilities for customers that want to use off the shelf western equipment. Since the facilities under control of the partner (in this case UAE), which's not under US or Western sanction.

Agree most likely it will be Frenchie stuff though. Basically it can develop to Checkmate of Russian version for Market that're not in friendly term with US and West (Like Iran and Venezualla), while other build in UAE facility will be for those market that are not under Western sanction (Including most MEA market).

Off course this is also depend on how much Russia wiling to give the partner/UAE control on IP and how far UAE can convince the Western suppliers that their tech security will not fall on Russian hand. If they can do it, then from marketing perspective it can workable opening more market, then Russia working alone.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

A remarkable first export customer.
I had expected that Turkey will export its first indigenous made turboprop trainer to a west/central Asian country, but Niger has become the first foreign customer of the TAI Hurkus trainer aircraft.

Sandhi Yudha

The Myanmar Air Force ( Tadmadaw Lay) inducted 15 fixed wing and 2 rotary wing aircraft into service at Meiktila Air Base on 15 December at a ceremony to mark the service's 74th anniversary.

So luckily for the Tatmadaw, even with the coupe d'etat and all the human rights violations, they can get a fresh flow of brandnew aircrafts.

The Royal Singapore Air Force (RSAF) AWACS Modernization Program Phase 2 under a USD397,9 million contract, will see all five aircraft upgraded in the United States and Saudi Arabia till 21 February 2026. If im not wrong all Saudi E-3s are already equipped with the CFM56, so probably the E-3 will keep the same engines.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The Royal Moroccan Army will soon be taking delivery of the ground-based air defense missile system MBDA VL MICA. The new system will complement the Chinese-made air defense system Sky Dragon 50. The Sky Dragon 50 is a medium-range semi-active radar homing (SARH) surface-to-air missile with a range of 50 km. The VL MICA has an advertised range of 20 km, which is much less than the Sky Dragon 50, but for some reason Marokko need another air defence system besides the Sky Dragon 50.

editing in progress

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
Maybe they can upgrade it with Mica NG missiles later, & for now, it'll serve as a backup for the Chinese system. Mica has active homing, either IR or radar.

Sandhi Yudha

Maybe they can upgrade it with Mica NG missiles later, & for now, it'll serve as a backup for the Chinese system. Mica has active homing, either IR or radar.
Yes, that can be the case.

|"This base will operate air defense systems procured from China, Patriot [Advanced Capability]-3 missile systems from the United States, as well as defense systems from Israel, after the recent visit of the Israeli defense minister to Morocco and the agreements signed in this regard,” |

The contract for the MICA VL has already a value of €192 million, but in total Marokko will get advanced high-end air defence missile systems from four countries, that's a lot for a country like Marokko. It almost like they expect soon some massive air strikes from the Polisario.

|"RTAF spokesperson Air Vice Marshal (AVM) Prapas Sonjaidee told Janes on 12 January that the Thai cabinet has sanctioned the procurement of an initial four aircraft for THB13.8 billion (USD415 million). AVM Prapas said the RTAF wants to acquire the most modern and capable fighter aircraft that meets the service's budget and operational requirements. "|

One of the candidates on the list is the F-35.

I don't go to say that thinking that $415 million is enough to order 4 new fighterjets from the most capable and modern type is pathetic, but actually it is.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Belgian Air Force is planning on replacing its four NH90TTH and and 12 A109 light helicopters. No reasons have been given for the early retirement of the NH90. The Air Force also operates four NH90NFH in the SAR role and those will transferred to the Belgian Navy with four new helicopters being acquired for that role. It's interesting that the Belgians are getting rid of their NH90TTH early.

New helicopters for Belgian Air Force (scramble.nl)

Sandhi Yudha

The Belgian Air Force is planning on replacing its four NH90TTH and and 12 A109 light helicopters. No reasons have been given for the early retirement of the NH90. The Air Force also operates four NH90NFH in the SAR role and those will transferred to the Belgian Navy with four new helicopters being acquired for that role. It's interesting that the Belgians are getting rid of their NH90TTH early.

New helicopters for Belgian Air Force (scramble.nl)
Sadly the original link can not be opened anymore, but according to BelgianDefenceNews it was announced In June 2020 that the NH90 was too expensive and too few in numbers to be operated effectively, and that the plans were to withdraw the 4 TTH-versions by 2024 and focus solely on the NFH's SAR and naval operations and acquire sensor & armament upgrades for the NFH-90.

From the Netherlands i heard stories that the NH90 is wearing out faster than the Lynx. According to Nieuwe helikopter onder de maat the NH90 is too heavy, is the range of the NH90 less than expected and can take less passengers than promised in hot weather. When tge first four of 20 ordered NH-90 were delivered, Eurocopter offered the EC725 as alternative. With a pricetag more than 50% lower and with a far more superior performance it was maybe a good offer, but the Ministerie van Defensie rejected it.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It appears that in 2019 Germany has had low serviceability rates for the NH90 as well with just 12% of the helicopters being combat capable in November of 2019. Whilst Germany blames NHI / Airbus for the low serviceability rate, it also must shoulder some of the blame as well because of historic underfunding of its defence forces. The article also covers its problems with the Tiger helicopter.

Germany Has Fewer Than 10 Tiger And 12 NH90 Helicopters Ready For Combat (thedrive.com)

Ananda

The Bunker Group

The first batch of Six Rafale that going to Greece AF schedulled to come within this week. As has been known Greece sign agreement for 24 Rafale with 18 second hand ex French AF and 6 new.

Seems second hand F-3R version from French AF being used by French toward deals with potential users with more limited financial resources. Indonesian AF also being rumoured to be offer F-3R version, and could be potentialy 12 second hand and 24 new ones. It's seems one of French/Dasault strategy to compete with abundance second hand and upgraded F-16 that US/LM can throw into the Market.

Could the increase on Rafale proliferation and population will improve cost on maintenance ? That's going to be interesting question.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The State Department has approved a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Egypt of 12 C-130J-30 Super Hercules Aircraft and related equipment and training for an estimated cost of $2,2 billion.

It is actually remarkable that there was never such announcement for the 5 C-130J-30 Indonesia has ordered, so until now we dont know the exact value of the contract.

Some additional information:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The State Department has approved a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Egypt of 12 C-130J-30 Super Hercules Aircraft and related equipment and training for an estimated cost of $2,2 billion.

It is actually remarkable that there was never such announcement for the 5 C-130J-30 Indonesia has ordered, so until now we dont know the exact value of the contract.

Some additional information:
This is the DSCA publication for the NZ acquisition request for five C-130J-30. It indicated US$1.4 billion so you could use that as a possible indication of cost. NZ is acquiring them through FMS and they are having the same fitout as the latest USAF aircraft.

New Zealand – C-130J Aircraft | Defense Security Cooperation Agency (dsca.mil)

Sandhi Yudha

Again some bad news for Boeing.
A $402 million charge on the KC-46A Pegasus tanker program on top of a drop in its defense business sales in the most recent quarter.

And the race for the sunken F-35C has begun....

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
US company Kratos and Australian company Hypersonixs say they will test fly a hypersonic drone next year - Kratos, Hypersonix team up on hypersonic drone programme | News | Flight Global To be honest I was always suspicious Hypersonix was a 'vapour ware' company, nice web site HYPERSONIX – Let's Fly to Space but basically BS. They must be offering something genuine if Kratos will get into bed with them.
The proof is in the pudding. Let's wait until next year to see if that particular pavlova was worth waiting for. They just might be on to something.

cdxbow

The proof is in the pudding. Let's wait until next year to see if that particular pavlova was worth waiting for. They just might be on to something.
There seems to be an endless number of space plane type proposals kicking around on the web and almost all of them are pipe dreams, I'm afraid I put these guys in the same basket. Clearly they do have something to offer and I suspect it's mainly to do with materials. Athough
I have heard the true aim of these drones is to shoot down Rocket Labs craft and destroy the NZ space program, but I'm not bitter.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There seems to be an endless number of space plane type proposals kicking around on the web and almost all of them are pipe dreams, I'm afraid I put these guys in the same basket. Clearly they do have something to offer and I suspect it's mainly to do with materials. Athough
I have heard the true aim of these drones is to shoot down Rocket Labs craft and destroy the NZ space program, but I'm not bitter.
You wish. We have anti aircraft and drone weaponised sheep effective to 115,000 ft altitude and undisclosed range. They dine on dropbears.