Military Aviation News and Discussion

Terran

Where was the air crew from? The HAW crew, I think, would be tier one nations from the EU?
Only a handful of nations operate C17. The US has the largest number, the UK & Canada are the only other NATO operators ergo Yahweh most likely flight crews.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Only a handful of nations operate C17. The US has the largest number, the UK & Canada are the only other NATO operators. By volume I expect to hear it was a USAF bird.
IIRC, the EU ordered several C-17s. Not sure how they are deployed wrt NATO operations.

swerve

Super Moderator
Not the EU: a consortium of 11 European countries (10 EU, 9 NATO) & the USA. which operates a grand total of three NATO-owned C-17s based in Hungary.

"The aircraft and supporting equipment operated by the Heavy Airlift Wing are owned by the NATO Airlift Management Programme on behalf of the SAC Nations. "
The Strategic Airlift Capability

The EU does not buy, own or operate any military equipment AFAIK.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Where was the air crew from? The HAW crew, I think, would be tier one nations from the EU?
Hasn't been published. Austrian press has been pretty quick to tag Hungarian nationality onto the crew based on the press release saying it had Hungarian markings, but that's rather unlikely (i actually think they don't have a flight crew in the programme at all).

None of the "tier one" EU nations are involved in SAC/HAW, unless you want to call the Netherlands that. One third of flight hours are done by and for the USAF, about one-sixth each by the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway, the remaining sixth is shared between the other 8 members.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The EU does not buy, own or operate any military equipment AFAIK.
The EU maintains a central headquarter (EU Military Staff) with about 200 staff as its sole "own" military not subordinate to member countries.

FRONTEX, the EU borderguard, would be legally entitled to procure own (para)military equipment for its tasks since 2019, although it tends to instead rely on charter contracts and equipment leased or borrowed from EU member countries - for something "sorta own" currently e.g. ADAS/IAI operates a number of maritime Heron RPAS UAV for FRONTEX, similar to how the same company construct provides that service for the German and Greek Air Forces.

Last edited:

FormerDirtDart

Hasn't been published. Austrian press has been pretty quick to tag Hungarian nationality onto the crew based on the press release saying it had Hungarian markings, but that's rather unlikely (i actually think they don't have a flight crew in the programme at all).

None of the "tier one" EU nations are involved in SAC/HAW, unless you want to call the Netherlands that. One third of flight hours are done by and for the USAF, about one-sixth each by the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway, the remaining sixth is shared between the other 8 members.
The HAW C-17s do possess Hungarian Air Force markings The HAF roundel is present on all three aircraft's vertical tail surface
A/C 01
A/C 02
A/C 03

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Security isn't very good since he managed to get up there. Begs the question what other unauthorised parties managed to have close access the Apache or other exhibits? Activate the radar and that'll soon prevent numb nuts from breeding. Hopefully they'll make him pay for any damage incurred.

Sandhi Yudha

The delivery of the six new MD 530F helicopters for the Libanese Airforce. The photos give us a closer look at this fresh supply of light combat helicopters.

There is a possibility that they will replace the old Gazelle SA342Ls at Rayak Air Base.

Sandhi Yudha

The first of 12 AH-1Z helicopters will be prepared for shipment to Bahrain with the U.S. Defense Contract Management Agency before being transported to the customer in 2022.

The airforce of Bahrain already operates more than 20 AH-1E/Fs. Until now Bahrain and Czech are the only export customers for the AH-1Z.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some interesting self defence projects are underway by General Atomics for their existing drone aircraft which are pretty vulnerable in contested airspace. If successful these defence concepts would extend the Reaper’s useful lifespan and of course the ultra fast pulse laser and light weight missile would very likely be useful on other vulnerable aircraft.

Sandhi Yudha

I dont know if i have to post this in the Chinese or Russian AF thread, so i just post it here.

Russia has signed a contract with China to jointly develop a multipurpose heavy helicopter, but a name for the project is not been given yet.

Russia will contribute parts for the aircraft including its transmission, steering screw and anti-icing system. It is unclear yet who is responsible for the overal design.

Sandhi Yudha

The Royal Thai Air Force has awarded a $143 million contract to Textron Aviation for eight Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine aircraft, ground support equipment, spare parts, training and other equipment, making Thailand the first export customer for the AT-6.

Its seems the AT-6 will replace the Aero L39 and the first aircrafts will be delivered in 2024.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Egyptian AF officially become the second largest Rafale users after French AF. I read somewhere before (forgot where) on Egyptian AF chief talking that they hope their Rafale fleet will achieve 72 within this decade. This means potential another batch of 18 from current 54 in contract.

Sandhi Yudha

With a reported wingspan and length in excess of 15 m, and with a maximum take-off weight of approximately nine tonnes, the Calidus B-350 is the largest and heaviest single turboprop 'light attack' aeroplane on the market. The B-350 is said to be powered by a 2,500–3,000 shp Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127 engine. The fact that it has 12 underwing hardpoints (which can be increased through the use of dual-launchers), as well as an under-fuselage retractable electro-optic/infrared (EO/IR) sensor turret, makes it even more impressive.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With a reported wingspan and length in excess of 15 m, and with a maximum take-off weight of approximately nine tonnes, the Calidus B-350 is the largest and heaviest single turboprop 'light attack' aeroplane on the market. The B-350 is said to be powered by a 2,500–3,000 shp Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127 engine. The fact that it has 12 underwing hardpoints (which can be increased through the use of dual-launchers), as well as an under-fuselage retractable electro-optic/infrared (EO/IR) sensor turret, makes it even more impressive.

Certainly is a big beastie. Yes like @Ananda says it does have some reminders of the old A-1 Skyraider. Definitely somewhat quieter. The big old round engine on the Skyraider wasn't known for its quietness.