Military Aviation News and Discussion

Big_Zucchini

I don't think we need compensation in the first place.
Besides if there is compensation it will be no access to some new platform, it will be financing. For example of already existent desires of IDF, or some projects.
It's more political to keep US commitment itself afloat, then actual need. IMO
We don't need a compensation because the US owes us nothing. But allies, or actually friends, go out of their way to help each other.
I think it would be great if the US helped us in that regard, and when the US needs our help, we should definitely make concessions to help it back.

Beholder

We don't need a compensation because the US owes us nothing. But allies, or actually friends, go out of their way to help each other.
I think it would be great if the US helped us in that regard, and when the US needs our help, we should definitely make concessions to help it back.
But in this case we don't need help. UAE is not a threat. If US don't care that technology will make it's way to China, i don't see other threat from them.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

50..well that's quite big sales. Also MQ-9 will also provide more surveillance capabilities for UAE on the Gulf. This can provide Theater view on Iranian activities in the Gulf.

Sandhi Yudha

50..well that's quite big sales. Also MQ-9 will also provide more surveillance capabilities for UAE on the Gulf. This can provide Theater view on Iranian activities in the Gulf.
The UAE lost several Wing Loong II UAVs in Lybia, so these things need to be replaced. But i doubt they will use the MQ-9 in the same way in Lybia.

Now something about the Nigerian Airforce.

"Nigeria has joined China and the United Arab Emirates as the only countries operating the Wing Loong II unmanned combat aerial vehicle."

Well i think that air commodore should do his homework better.

Sandhi Yudha

Remarkable project.

France left the Trigat program in 2004, the Trigat is a brandnew advanced long-range anti-tank missile, specially designed for the Eurocopter Tigre, and deliveries only started in 2012. So actually i dont understand why France left the program and why they just dont order some Trigats/PARS 3 from Germany.

Big_Zucchini

Remarkable project.

France left the Trigat program in 2004, the Trigat is a brandnew advanced long-range anti-tank missile, specially designed for the Eurocopter Tigre, and deliveries only started in 2012. So actually i dont understand why France left the program and why they just dont order some Trigats/PARS 3 from Germany.
Because they want to support MMP production and allow it to compete with the Israeli Spike in all its variants, especially in the European market.
In addition, the MMP is just objectively better than the PARS-3.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Boeing has been pulled up by the Pentagon for its rough handling of aircraft and spares. Seems that Boeing isn't learning lessons quickly enough.

Sandhi Yudha

Boeing has been pulled up by the Pentagon for its rough handling of aircraft and spares. Seems that Boeing isn't learning lessons quickly enough.

Everybody makes mistakes, but if it becomes routine, then there is something wrong.
It is also quite worrying, this is only about incidents the Pentagon knows about, but what about deliveries to other countries?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Everybody makes mistakes, but if it becomes routine, then there is something wrong.
It is also quite worrying, this is only about incidents the Pentagon knows about, but what about deliveries to other countries?
Yep and there is the FOD the USAF found in their KC-46s. It wasn't just 1 or 2 odd aircraft, but a lot. I trust that the RNZAF will be going over our P-8A aircraft with a fine tooth comb before we accept them.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One of the most famous test/military pilots has passed. Yeager’s career was impressive.

Yep read that last night Kiwi time. He sure was an impressive pilot, one of the best. I would place him in the class of Eric 'Winkle' Brown the RN test pilot.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put it in here not in Russian AF thread, since so far this program still Rostec own initiative. Wondering who's other country they want to take as Partner considering both China and India already have their own single engine fighters program.

Also not clear on what their aim in here, F-35 competition or more like relative cheap type Mig-21 successor.
I tend to see the later one, since the engine will be developed from RD-33 instead development of Izdeliye 30 of Su-57.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Put it in here not in Russian AF thread, since so far this program still Rostec own initiative. Wondering who's other country they want to take as Partner considering both China and India already have their own single engine fighters program.

Also not clear on what their aim in here, F-35 competition or more like relative cheap type Mig-21 successor.
I tend to see the later one, since the engine will be developed from RD-33 instead development of Izdeliye 30 of Su-57.
I also expect it will be a single engine MiG-21/23 replacement with some 5th generation characteristics for the exportmarket. After the Su-57, the Russian Airforce is not waiting for another expensive high-end 5th generation fighter. It is also too expensive for Rostec to do that on their own budget. Besides that its more likely that the Okhodnik will be developed further.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I also expect it will be a single engine MiG-21/23 replacement with some 5th generation characteristics for the exportmarket. After the Su-57, the Russian Airforce is not waiting for another expensive high-end 5th generation fighter. It is also too expensive for Rostec to do that on their own budget. Besides that its more likely that the Okhodnik will be developed further.
It's also Tass and one wonders how accurate it is in the details.

Having said that, I tend to agree that it could be a single engined Mig 21 & 23 replacement. They have never been really replaced and a 5th gen LO aircraft that is more than a one trick pony, would probably be welcomed by the VVS and foreign customers. Undoubtedly the PLAAF & the PLANAF would be interested too, but they would only buy a first tranche before reverse engineering their own copies.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
By indicating foreign partner from beginning, it's clear the project aim for export and Russian did not want invest their own fund too much on the program. Thus seems it will use Tech that they already develop, rather than new ones like in Su-57.

If they got right Partner, it can be interesting prospect.

Undoubtedly the PLAAF & the PLANAF would be interested too, but they would only buy a first tranche before reverse engineering their own copies
I rather doubt China will be interested with Russia for Fighters development on this stage. Seems they think they already catching up Russian in most Aerospace technology. If India did not commit themselves already with Tejas Mk2, I suspect they're be willing contender for Partners.

Got a feeling that Russian perhaps looking with potential Partners in Middle East or North Africa. Perhaps Iran or Algiers ?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This article only a day old, however the picture in the article already few months old. As this's F/A-18E Shornet trial for Ski-Jump capabilities. Effort to shown Shornet capabilities for India's Stobar Carriers.

Quite interesting that the offer for 57 Shornet is USD 6.6 Bio. Considering India is first time users, thus the offer should include building support for Shornet within Indian AF, and just with US practice now on offering Defense package it's also should be include life time cost sustainment.

In my opinion not a bad deal for first time users offer.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some updated information on future vertical lift. I can’t help but think the contract award will be split between the two development teams like the LCS program. Hopefully any such split award works out better for the army than the navy’s did! If both machines work as promised, each version has worthwhile advantages but perhaps a split buy adds too much cost. There is always the possibility one machine is definitely inferior so that even pork barrel pollies can’t save it.

Terran

Some updated information on future vertical lift. I can’t help but think the contract award will be split between the two development teams like the LCS program. Hopefully any such split award works out better for the army than the navy’s did! If both machines work as promised, each version has worthwhile advantages but perhaps a split buy adds too much cost. There is always the possibility one machine is definitely inferior so that even pork barrel pollies can’t save it.
I disagree.
first if Pork was the choice factor this program is set up by partnership that no matter which contender is chosen Lockheed Martin plants would still have the business. This is as Lockheed owns Sikorsky. And Lockheed is partnered for avionics with Bell.
Both Valor and Defiant were fabricated at Spirit. With many of the same sub contractors. This means the only rational reason to have both is of follow on potential adopters decide to choose the loser. Which right now looks like Defiant X. Valor across the board has the superior platform.
unless some other factors as yet not stated come into play like say a sudden push for a dedicated Gunship to replace Apache. It seems highly unlikely that they would split for the Army. It also seems unlikely for other US Forces who would likely adapt the FLRAA winner as the replacements for their medium lift choppers H1/H60 like the Marines, Navy, Air Force/Socom, Coast Guard.
farther more along side FLRAA you have FARA where in the most likely candidate are again Bell and Lockheed Martin Sikorsky. And the exact inverse of performance factors favoring Raider X. Barring some unknown factor this means that both pretty much end up balanced in the bacon side of procurement. Boeing being the only one getting the short stick due to not being partnered for Raider X. Yet they still are maintaining, building and upgrading AH64E and CH47F. Which as yet will be remaining in service without dedicated replacements until the 2040-2050 time spans.