Malaysian Army/Land forces discussions

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The CAD IDEALLY would have an armoured brigade (1st Brigade), a mechanized infantry brigade (4th Brigade) and a motorized infantry brigade (7th Brigade). The final composition of 1st Armoured Brigade is 2 tank regiments and a mechanized battalion. most likely it would go there.
Yes, that might be the plans, but when will that be? In 10 years? Right now, the MAF has 5 armoured battalions, and the one with Scorpion will get PT-91M, this summer. So the Scorpions will be shifted to another battalion. My question is, which battalion will it be and will the Scorpion only complement or fully replace the Sibmas in that particular battalion.
But well, it's not that important, and anyway nobody seems to know it in this forum yet :D

kaybee

Zacklee,

Most of your information you took right out from my website, http://kbmyaf.co.nr. The least you can do is to provide a credit or reference in your post.

I got bored and did a little compilation.

Its from various sources, reliables and non-reliables. It was pretty confusing since most of the informations are on grey areas, but the camps location, I did some double checking.

Figured I throw it out and see if anyone can pick up any corrections along the way!

Last edited:

kaybee

2 unknowns in the battle order
1: the true location of 21st Royal Artillery Regiment ((Paroi Camp, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan) or (Syed Sirajuddin Camp, Gemas, Negeri Sembilan)
2: Does 10th Paratrooper Brigade falls under 4th Division or Garrison Headquarters
1. 21 RAD moved to Kem Syed Sirajuddin since Jan 1998.
2. 10 BDE is an Army Troop and reports directly to Army HQ.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi kaybee,
I'm glad to get to know the creator of that great site, that i visited quite often. I even became creative a little bit myself. I used your information and your icons to create a table of the organisatorial structure of the combat and artillery regiments of the MAF.

Would be happy if you would integrate it into your page :)

Beware, it's HUGE! (2776x2814; 646.72 KB)

<<< Link >>>

kaybee

Hi kaybee,
I'm glad to get to know the creator of that great site, that i visited quite often. I even became creative a little bit myself. I used your information and your icons to create a table of the organisatorial structure of the combat and artillery regiments of the MAF.

Would be happy if you would integrate it into your page :)

Beware, it's HUGE! (2776x2814; 646.72 KB)

<<< Link >>>
That is really huge! It is something that I would like to do but never get down to do it. I can include it in my site but first I propose you make a few changes.

1) Update the icons. I have new one for MMTD and 21 GGK.
2) Move Army Troops out from under MMTD as they report directly to Army HQ.
3) Since this is a picture, I suggest that you draw the unit number on their regimental color. It's difficult for me to do this on HTML without resorting to unique picture for each battalions. The numbers are usually yellow in colour although some are white. Some have black border for contrast.

If you have time, you can also draw a Malaysian map and place those icons on the map according to their location. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but lack of time.

Thanks.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi,
first two points were no problems, icons are changed and the MMTD is shifted a little bit so that it is not "between" the divisions and Army HQ any more. But adding the regimental numbers would be very time-consuming and complicated, especially the yellow numbers with black linings. And I think it's not that necessary, the exact designation is written there anyway, so the icons are just for a quick overview of which type of troops (RRD, RAMD etc.) a brigade consists.

So here you go, Version 1.1, same size:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6092/completesg0.png

kaybee

Still not quite right. Army Troops means those troops directly reporting to Army HQ instead of the MMTD. See my main Army page for the right top level org structure. Need to get it right before I can put it in as my army friends would be bugging me if it is not. We should be discussing this in private message. Is there one for this forum? If not, contact me at my yahoo mail as in the website.

aneep

Hello, and thank you :)

I think AT-4 might be a mistake by somebody who saw the C-90 and confused it with the AT-4. They look quite similar.
And Wikipedia, i don't know, especially in articles about military stuff there are often wrong informations. The fact that everybody can write there is more of a disadvantage sometimes.
In the photos from the parade, what is it that the guys behind the C-90's carry? Looks like RPG-7s without warheads or s.th. like that
I have seen pic of a Malaysian soldier with AT4 (PULADA)
IMO it is in service, but not in large numbers

-aneep-

paskal

i read in one of malaysian defence magazine that the second batch of astros II
have arrived so thats mean that malaysia now has 36 astros II.
i dont now if thats true but the book is called perajurit that juz came out this august!

aneep

There's a difference between just signed for and already arrived
official numbers of ASTROS mobile launchers already in service = 18

-aneep-

paskal

Noted that Brazil only reported 12 units exported to Malaysia in 2002 to the UN. Could this be referring to the remaining 6?

Always thought there was a discrepancy there.

MY did purchase 1,296 additional SS30 rockets in 2005 (equating to 40 full salvos)

If there is a 2nd batch, there will be a lot more news + there will be a report to the UN. So I'm going to wait a bit before making a conclusion. Remember how the news reported that MY is purchasing the F18E/F...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Army

in wikepedia it is reported that malaysia already have 18......
but in the news reported that the second batch has arrived on the 7th of august 2007.....
so now malaysia have 36 astros II:)

Mr Ignorant

The Malaysian Army in general has a mixed approach to their Order of Battle and weaponry deployed. Currently this is their state of affairs.

RAMD is at an optimum level in the order, but RRD should be complemented by a further raise of 5-6 Battalions. That is one observation.

renjer

Why do you say this?

We inherited the British regimental system. RAMD and RRD are just different regiments within the Corp of Infantry.

aneep

just looking at numbers, probably its easy to say RRD needs to be increased, be on par with RAMD and all that, but economically, an increase of 5-6 more bn (~700 men each) is not going to happen without an increase in defence budget
remember, both regiments were cut down in the 90s because of changes in force structure (and budget)
after MCP gave up armed struggle in 1989, so need for large nos of men in infantry role is greatly lessened

-aneep-