Libya Thread 2.0

Sandhi Yudha

The attack on the military academy in januari this year seems to be carried out by a chinese UCAV of the UAE Air Force. Pieces of the chinese missile were found at the place.

Sorry, no English source yet.

Found: UAE implicated in lethal drone strike in Libya

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes I saw the BBC news story last night, NZ time. The UAEAF have eight C-17A so I believe that they will be the basis of the airbridge between the UAE and Egypt. The UAE certainly appears to be taking a more forthright role in regional affairs lately and I note that in this case it's not about Iran or Iranian influence. It could be about reducing Turkish influence in the region, especially since Turkey has sided with Qatar, UAE's nemesis at the moment, and Turkey is providing military support to the UN supported Libyan government.

Sandhi Yudha

Yes I saw the BBC news story last night, NZ time. The UAEAF have eight C-17A so I believe that they will be the basis of the airbridge between the UAE and Egypt. The UAE certainly appears to be taking a more forthright role in regional affairs lately and I note that in this case it's not about Iran or Iranian influence. It could be about reducing Turkish influence in the region, especially since Turkey has sided with Qatar, UAE's nemesis at the moment, and Turkey is providing military support to the UN supported Libyan government.
Yes, this is the link to the BBC-report.
Some parts of this video can be disturbing.

Anyway, it shows the dirty game of other countries in wars like this one in Libya.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update.

The front line in Libya has stabilized, since Egyptian threats of direct involvement. Turkey has ramped up their presence but overall the situation has become considerably quieter. As far as I can tell no major battles have been fought recently. Here's a batch of news from all over, sorry for the delay, some of this is a bit dated.

A Belorussian anti-UAV system was seen as part of what appears to be a column of Russian PMCs in Libya.

Turkish AAA was spotted in Libya, at Al-Watiya.

The GNA has captured an Mi-8 abandoned by the LNA.

The LNA has deployed multiple Pantsyr systems along the Sirt-Al-Jufra line. This appears to be the de-facto line separating the Turkish and "Egyptian" zones of Libya. I put "Egyptian" in quotations because many more players are involved.

The LNA has also, reportedly, gathered about 100 Scud-B missiles, ready to be used. Given their high scatter radius, and the risk of losing the launchers to UAV strikes, it remains to be seen whether this is of any real value.

Sandhi Yudha

Actually weird that the Turkish cargo vessel is checked because of the arms embargo, while countries like UAE can freely import their weaponsystems to the eastern part of Lybia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually weird that the Turkish cargo vessel is checked because of the arms embargo, while countries like UAE can freely import their weaponsystems to the eastern part of Lybia.
Egypt and the UAE both support Khaftar who is set up in eastern Libya with all the oil, making for a convenient ground-based supply route through Egypt. I'm pretty sure the UAE doesn't need to use ships to bring in arms.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Egypt and the UAE both support Khaftar who is set up in eastern Libya with all the oil, making for a convenient ground-based supply route through Egypt. I'm pretty sure the UAE doesn't need to use ships to bring in arms.
I suspect that they will have an air bridge running as well because they have 8 x C-17 and 3 x A330 MRTT which they'll put to good use. They are far more professional than their Saudi brethren and actually know how to utilise the equipment that they have acquired.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
According to the Pentagon the UAE has been funding the Russian mercenary group, Wagner, in Libya including the 24 Russian 4th generation fighters that Wagner were operating there.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a bucket of assorted materials from Libya, not much seems to be going on there now, but I figured I'd share it here.

An LNA column was seen leaving Dzhufra airbase, and the column included Pantsyr-S1.

There's some footage of a Pantsyr active near Dzhufra.

A Soviet M-1938 howitzer seen in Libya.

Russian PMC spotted in Dzhufra.

Footage of a Turkish Korkut AAA operating in Libya. The footage is likely from the major battles around Tripoli.

Some footage of the LNA on maneuvers. The third link includes footage of a pair of Su-24Ms operating under LNA colors.

Boagrius

Reports circulating that the US has managed to smuggle a Pantsir S1 system out of Libya.

Speculation is that it was originally an Emirati Pantsir, but this hasn't been confirmed AFAIK.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some new footage emerges of Khaftar's forces.

We have once again T-62MVs. Now they're repainted to match the rest of the armor, but they're definitely relatively new arrivals. The differ by having ERA, and (theoretically) barrel-launched ATGM capability. In the past T-62MVs were seen still in Soviet-green paint.

Next we see Tigr-M armored cars with mesh over the windows. Similar 5-door variants were seen before but in Russian colors, operated by PMCs in Libya. It's possible that they've been transferred to the LNA, it's also possible they're still being operated by the same PMCs. It's even possible that this is a new batch of identical vehicles.

Finally we have a look at LNA air power in the form of a pair of MiG-23s, a pair of MiG-21s, a pair of Mirgaes, and 3 Su-24Ms. The last photo in the first link shows a fragment of the cockpit with modern-looking avionics (compare to a regular MiG-23 cockpit) and suggests that the aircraft are being repaired and upgraded with new components.

There is also a major assortment of other armored vehicles including Jordanian Al-Mared and al-Wahsh, Titan-DS, Panthera T6. Panthera F9, from the UAE, Spartan, Cougar, and Cobra, Streit Group armored cars, and a river of unarmored technicals. We also have some towed howitzers (some look like D-30s, and are green suggesting a new delivery from Russia?), miniature MLRS, M-30 towed howitzers (also in the ubiquitous green), a D-74, an M-46, some full size Grad MLRS, Serbian Morava MLRS possibly sources through the UAE, Scud missiles, some T-55s, T-62s, T-72s, 2S1 SP howitzers, and a BTS-4 or 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Finally we have some air defense, including a P-12 radar, some Kvadrat SAMs, Strela-1 SAMs, and ZSU-23-4s.

Overall this shows not just a quantitative and qualitative leap, but some capabilities that appear to be new. I'm curious as to just how effective the antiquated SAMs are against real air threats that they face from Turkey. I also suspect that whatever work they've been doing to get the SAMs operating likely involved upgrades if only because many of the components for something so old wouldn't necessarily be available anymore. Depending on how significant the upgrades are, this may or may not make them relevant against UAS and even potential F-16s from the other side.

It also highlights Khaftar's backers in the form of Egypt, Russia, UAE, and possibly Jordan?

EDIT: It appears that one of the MiG-21s involved in this parade actually crashed shortly thereafter, killing the pilot and raising questions about how much of this reflects real capabilities and how much is for show.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

A US MQ-9 UAV seems to be shot down above Lybia near Benghazi.
Is this really an MQ-9 (its certainly not something small like a ScanEagle), and if so, what was it doing there? I didn't know that the US was still active in that country. Or could this be an MQ-9 Reaper from France or Italy or even a chinese copy in use by UAE or another country?

Last edited: