Libya Thread 2.0

Sandhi Yudha

The attack on the military academy in januari this year seems to be carried out by a chinese UCAV of the UAE Air Force. Pieces of the chinese missile were found at the place.

Sorry, no English source yet.

Found: UAE implicated in lethal drone strike in Libya

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes I saw the BBC news story last night, NZ time. The UAEAF have eight C-17A so I believe that they will be the basis of the airbridge between the UAE and Egypt. The UAE certainly appears to be taking a more forthright role in regional affairs lately and I note that in this case it's not about Iran or Iranian influence. It could be about reducing Turkish influence in the region, especially since Turkey has sided with Qatar, UAE's nemesis at the moment, and Turkey is providing military support to the UN supported Libyan government.

Sandhi Yudha

Yes I saw the BBC news story last night, NZ time. The UAEAF have eight C-17A so I believe that they will be the basis of the airbridge between the UAE and Egypt. The UAE certainly appears to be taking a more forthright role in regional affairs lately and I note that in this case it's not about Iran or Iranian influence. It could be about reducing Turkish influence in the region, especially since Turkey has sided with Qatar, UAE's nemesis at the moment, and Turkey is providing military support to the UN supported Libyan government.
Yes, this is the link to the BBC-report.
Some parts of this video can be disturbing.

Anyway, it shows the dirty game of other countries in wars like this one in Libya.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update.

The front line in Libya has stabilized, since Egyptian threats of direct involvement. Turkey has ramped up their presence but overall the situation has become considerably quieter. As far as I can tell no major battles have been fought recently. Here's a batch of news from all over, sorry for the delay, some of this is a bit dated.

A Belorussian anti-UAV system was seen as part of what appears to be a column of Russian PMCs in Libya.

Turkish AAA was spotted in Libya, at Al-Watiya.

The GNA has captured an Mi-8 abandoned by the LNA.

The LNA has deployed multiple Pantsyr systems along the Sirt-Al-Jufra line. This appears to be the de-facto line separating the Turkish and "Egyptian" zones of Libya. I put "Egyptian" in quotations because many more players are involved.

The LNA has also, reportedly, gathered about 100 Scud-B missiles, ready to be used. Given their high scatter radius, and the risk of losing the launchers to UAV strikes, it remains to be seen whether this is of any real value.